• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Castlevania, IIRC, suffers a bit of that Alice Madness Returns syndrome, where the game goes on for too long just for the sake of it.

Arthea

Deadlight is a flawed game that has some frustrations you'll have to overcome to win. Some sections, particularly in the later part of the game, are frustrating trial-and-error affairs. The story is also rather plain and predictable. But it's not a bad game, it has some pretty fluid mechanics and some rather smart level design often, with a few cool collectibles in little minigames you can collect and diary pages that are interesting enough. The environments look pretty, the music is nice... It feels like it holds itself back, thought its hard to explain. But I don't regret playing it, I did in fact enjoy it. Catch it on a sale, and if the idea of a 2D Zombie game is interesting to you, I'll recommend it. But it has its rough patches of frustrations, some glitches, and sometimes feeling not very inspired.

Thanks for writing this. Not going to buy then.

I played castlevania on the ps3, but I didn't like it very much. Too similar to god of war. I know it doesn't play exactly like it, but it's how if felt to me.

If you don't like Gof of War, I guess it wouldn't be your type of game, yes. The game is really good at being a GoW "rip-off" , even though I never finished it.

I was waiting for Castlevania. I was hoping it would be 7.50 or less but screw it. Bought.

Kind of interested in Lego LOTRO but never played any of those Lego games. Any impressions? Are they kids games?

All the lego games are good quality (some a little better than others), with your enjoyment being tied to how much you like the source material.

For playing in coop with a kid? It is a great experience. I've played through harry potter with my daughter and you can easily make progress while they learn the controls and generally have a great time. I can't recommend them highly enough when played in this style.

As a lone adult? They are somewhat limited. You will have some fun, but they are basically endless collect-a-thons with no real challenge. Because of this you will only ever really need to "play" one of them to get your fill of the style.

LOTR in particular is one of the better put together games, so if you don't have a special preference for something like marvel or star wars, you might as well grab that.

jblank83

Castlevania, IIRC, suffers a bit of that Alice Madness Returns syndrome, where the game goes on for too long just for the sake of it.

Very much. It drags on and on, with long stretches of running and doing nothing, as well as many repetitive padded combats, and more than a few levels that just didn't need to be there at all. It's a decent game, but at least 10 hours could have been trimmed without losing anything good.

However, at $10 or less it's an easy recommendation. I mean, $10 is almost the cost of a ridiculous drive-thru meal nowadays.

All the lego games are good quality (some a little better than others), with your enjoyment being tied to how much you like the source material.

For playing in coop with a kid? It is a great experience. I've played through harry potter with my daughter and you can easily make progress while they learn the controls and generally have a great time. I can't recommend them highly enough when played in this style.

As a lone adult? They are somewhat limited. You will have some fun, but they are basically endless collect-a-thons with no real challenge. Because of this you will only ever really need to "play" one of them to get your fill of the style.

LOTR in particular is one of the better put together games, so if you don't have a special preference for something like marvel or star wars, you might as well grab that.

Cool. Thanks for the impressions. I love the source material and am in the mood for an easy game. I'll give it a shot.

Someone has never played symphony of the night or aria of sorrow...
Or people just have different tastes. . .
I've played Symphony and all of the ones that came after.
Lords of Shadow is my favorite game in the franchise, yes, including the vanias. It just has the grand, somber feeling that isn't quite matched by the other games, personally. The "GoW rip-off" syndrome didn't really faze me too much. There was so much downtime to just soak in the visuals and music that I never really made the comparison other than the camera and combat.

Not to say that the older games aren't great, they absolutely are. LoS just appeals to my sensibilities more.

KuroNeeko

So what's up with Borderlands 2? The trailer says it comes with the 2 extra classes and DLC, but the DLC is still being offered separately in the store. Is it not the GotY Edition?

Man, what's with the repeated Japan ball-kicking? No Dark Souls. No Castlevania. No NUTHIN!

Dr Dogg

Wait? So Alice is an 7-8 hour game stretched out to 20 hours with cutscenes lavishly thrown In for trivial events? Bah I only want it for the awesome hair Physx.

And I'm going to be a right hypocrite and buy Castlevania anyway. 2 years to finish it on 360 I wonder how long the pc version will take me?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have finally done it.

I bought the Groupees bundle to get 99 Spirits, activated it... EXCEPT, I forgot that 99 Spirits comes with the Japanese version of the game, Tsukumogami.

And as such...

s1u3.png

I have now done all New Years Resolutions I set out to do this year. I am content.

derExperte

Wait? So Alice is an 7-8 hour game stretched out to 20 hours with cutscenes lavishly thrown In for trivial events? Bah I only want it for the awesome hair Physx.

No gratuitous cutscenes, just levels that are too big and take too long to traverse and too many easy fights against the same enemies over and over again.

Tellaerin

I have finally done it.

I bought the Groupees bundle to get 99 Spirits, activated it... EXCEPT, I forgot that 99 Spirits comes with the Japanese version of the game, Tsukumogami.

And as such...

s1u3.png

I have now done all New Years Resolutions I set out to do this year. I am content.

Grats on hitting the big 1k, Dusk! :D

I have finally done it.

And as such...

s1u3.png

Congrats.

Dr Dogg

I have finally done it.

And as such...

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3329/s1u3.png[/MG]

I have now done all New Years Resolutions I set out to do this year. I am content.[/QUOTE]

Gratz on the G. Though I'm sure you wanted to cross than mark in the only way you can. With Bad Rats.

[quote="derExperte, post: 91921225"]No gratuitous cutscenes, just levels that are too big and take too long to traverse and too many easy fights against the same enemies over and over again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I heard the "issues" with the first were fixed in some rather bizarre ways. Prime example of style over substance.

[quote="NaM, post: 91921312"]You have at least 10 hours of solid gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Well I've never played the 2 epilogue dlcs so fingers crossed the bonkers ending might get cleared up a bit now.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Very much. It drags on and on, with long stretches of running and doing nothing, as well as many repetitive padded combats, and more than a few levels that just didn't need to be there at all. It's a decent game, but at least 10 hours could have been trimmed without losing anything good.

However, at $10 or less it's an easy recommendation. I mean, $10 is almost the cost of a ridiculous drive-thru meal nowadays.

I got it from Amazon a few weeks ago for $15 and felt it was mostly worth it. It takes about 5-6 hours until it actually starts to feel like a Castlevania game in terms of tone and mechanics. I beat it about 20 hours and there were some sections I could have done without. It kind of felt like it began as something other than a CV game and then they just tacked on some horror tropes and called it a Castlevania. Mostly enjoyable game though.

Bebpo

Banned
Castlevania is pretty terrible. In a world where game value isn't measured by your money and instead by your time, it's absolutely not worth playing. Terrible action game with little depth, meatbag sponge enemies and a quest that goes on forever just running down corridors fighting crappy enemies. For all the flak reviewers gave Knack for being repetitive, it doesn't hold a candle to CV LoS.

Maybe the sequel will be better? I dunno. I don't think Mercury Steam is a good developer.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just a few leftover Desura keys:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Cognition Episode 1 (Desura) -- MB-C5150D6BCA9FB87F - Taken by kulapik
ulgzbKC.png
Cognition Episode 2 (Desura) -- MB-5520DE41BC25AC41 - Taken by GUN-NAC

wilflare

I have finally done it.

And as such...

s1u3.png

congrats! haha wonder when I will get there :O

KevinRo

Hey, this might sound weird but can anyone gift me CS:GO($3.70) and on Monday I'll buy you anything worth $5 dollars off of Steam? You can message a mod and everything to keep it official and everything.

omg_mjd

How close is the gameplay of Castlevania LoS to the 3DS version? I played the 3DS demo and while the visuals were good, the combat was too easy and the levels were overly linear. Turned me off from buying the full game.

d1rtn4p

Definitely jump on Castlevania guys; its the best game in its genre. I liked it better than any of the god of war games. Its a great, lengthy story also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom