• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
More often than not NA prices are cheaper due to no VAT unlike everything here in the Uk and the EU. Though it's swings and roundabouts as some stuff is cheaper in the UK, sometimes EU prices are cheaper Drizz usually hooks people up with cheaper Brazil deals as does Salsa sometimes plus I'm sure for you in Argentina has some stuff cheaper than elsewhere and then there's region specific subs like that Mafia II dlc. steamprices.com has a top bargains, top ripoffs section to compare prices between NA, UK and EU and showing the differing percentages.

Brasil will always be the best place to buy because they use local currency, that being said I pay less for 2K, R* and Valve games (but still in US dollars.)

derExperte

Serious bummer. No reason for me to be excited for the winter sale this year. Hopefully SOMETHING will be different.

If the next daily deals aren't extremely awesome there's a boatload of newer games left for the winter sale. And I'm sure we'll get some community stuff like special cards.

UnrealEck

I've never played a Final Fantasy, but love RPG's. Is FF VII worth picking up? It doesn't look too hot, but it seems there are lots of mods for it, which is encouraging.

If you don't mind very dated graphics (PlayStation 1) and you like JRPGs then it's well worth it.

Divius

I have a 20% tax :lol but it's for every purchase in dollars so it's the same if I buy it or not since all purchases will be in dollars either way (steam, paypal or whatever). Anyway I can host.
If it comes down to $2.81 each (plus whatever paypal costs) I'm fine with that :D I'll shoot you a PM.

Arthea

So it is possible in this day and age don't know what FF7 is.

If Valve will add some community cards metagame, winter sale will be saved, I'd think, even if it's repetition of autumn sale.

I've never played a Final Fantasy, but love RPG's. Is FF VII worth picking up? It doesn't look too hot, but it seems there are lots of mods for it, which is encouraging.

I was in your situation roughly three years ago and, after playing Lost Odyssey and highly enjoying it, I bought, and finished, Final Fantasy 7. I had played Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core beforehand (it was a gift) so admittedly I had had some parts of the story (well, a significant amount) somewhat spoilt (although even still this didn't pose a huge problem to my enjoyment of the game) and ultimately I would recommend the game. Some aspects are very dated, but the gameplay itself is quite engaging throughout and the story is enough to maintain your interest (even if I didn't think it was particularly incredible or ground-breaking in 2010). The greatest strength, I felt, was the amount of content available in the game, both mandatory and optional; there is enough to maintain your interest for a significant amount of time. I left the game not as enthralled by it as many others seems to be, yet I would certainly consider it a worthwhile game.

EDIT: Worth clarifying that I played it on the PSP and not the PC so I cannot comment on any issues you might encounter in this version specifically.

EDIT 2:
Never played a JPRG, by RPG's I mean series like Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

While I'd still suggest playing it, you need to brace yourself and ensure you don't go in with false expectations; it is nothing like either of those game series, nor is it similar to other comparable Western RPGs (such as Mass Effect and The Witcher).

Terra

Ah, I have the fondest memories of this game.

Grew up with this game in my teens and it means a lot to me, personally. Remember coming home from school, just tossing my books aside, running down to my room in the basement. It defined gaming for me.

It has a lot of nostalgic worth, and I still think it holds up, even though I haven´t played it for years, and probably never will play it through again.

Sorry for going off here, but yeah, I can warmly recommend you this game if you haven´t experienced it. You are in for a treat!

The PS1 games (and their ports) are very slow affairs, lots of loading, animations and panning. It makes the random battles feel more like waiting games than actual combat.

However, if you want an alright story and a pretty rad world design, it's worth the time.

I would take a look at Final Fantasy IV, VI, or XII if that doesn't sound appealing.

Turfster

Yeah, no. Avoid FF.

What things? Most of what I've read on GAF was very positive.
"sidescrolling Borderlands with permadeath, giving you items that make you almost immortal while your weapons only do 1 damage each time, so you spend ages in crappy, boring fights."
Since a game session is time-limited, this is not a good thing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Its definitely worth a shot. Not everybody likes JRPG's, but its hardly some niche genre. FFVII came out during their heyday and is considered one of the best ever made. The graphics may take a little....adjusting to, but its not a good reason to skip on the game.

You may end up loving it and finding you like JRPG's and will have a whole new world of games open for you to try. Give it a go.

Skab

I think some of you are misunderstanding that email a little bit.

The sales wont be identical, it's just saying the base discounts will be the same. The flash and daily deals can/will be different.

cicero

The sales wont be identical, it's just saying the base discounts will be the same. The flash and daily deals can/will be different.

"Because the two sales occur just a few weeks apart, we plan to maintain the same discounts from one sale to the other."

I don't see any allowances made for Daily or Flash deals. Just the plan to maintain things.

I picked it up during the PS2 gen since everyone and his dog raved about it being teh best gaem EVA!!11!!!

I put 10+ hours into it until I realised that the issues I had with it were going to persist and quit. I should have quit within the first few seconds of loading it up. The protagonist that the player plays as is a whiny, emo kid who I despised immediately. The script/translation is embarrassingly poor. The ZOMG GRAFFIX CUTSCENES were outdated and had lost any wow factor when I played it so you can imagine how they look now.

I'm sure it was awesome at the time for those who played it on release and I don't mean to rain on anyone's nostalgia parade. However, I could not recommend it in all conscience to anyone wishing to play it for the first time now. Unless of course the aspects I reviled sound fun to them. If so, knock yourself out!

Ryne

Guess I will wait until the Winter sale if the deals will be the same. I'll have more spending money around then too.

I picked it up during the PS2 gen since everyone and his dog raved about it being teh best gaem EVA!!11!!!

I put 10+ hours into it until I realised that the issues I had with it were going to persist and quit. I should have quit within the first few seconds of loading it up. The protagonist that the player plays as is a whiny, emo kid who I despised immediately. The script/translation is embarrassingly poor. The ZOMG GRAFFIX CUTSCENES were outdated and had lost any wow factor when I played it so you can imagine how they look now.

I'm sure it was awesome at the time for those who played it on release and I don't mean to rain on anyone's nostalgia parade. However, I could not recommend it in all conscience to anyone wishing to play it for the first time now. Unless of course the aspects I reviled sound fun to them. If so, knock yourself out!
Eh, I played as Niko for hours on end in GTA IV, I'll consider that training.

Might be a while before I get it though. This sale I've picked up:
  • Saints Row IV
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • State of Decay
  • All the Sleeping Dogs DLC
  • Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

State of Decay is awesome, I can see playing this for a while.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Never managed to get into FF7. Felt so clunky. Loved V and IX, though.

Prophane33

I put 10+ hours into it until I realised that the issues I had with it were going to persist and quit. I should have quit within the first few seconds of loading it up. The protagonist that the player plays as is a whiny, emo kid who I despised immediately. The script/translation is embarrassingly poor. The ZOMG GRAFFIX CUTSCENES

LOL! Sounds like my issues with FFX. I still love FFVII (and VIII), granted I haven't actually played it since 1998 (it was the reason I bought my Playstation after all), but just purchased it the other night on Steam, so I may run through it again in the near future. I will say that if you've never played JRPGs or didn't grow up with 90s consoles it may not hold the same sway over you. At the time it was an experience that could not be matched by the Saturn or N64 (I was not a PC gamer then). Personally, my favorite FF is V, but I really like VII,VIII, and XII.

Eh, I played as Niko for hours on end in GTA IV, I'll consider that training.

Might be a while before I get it though. This sale I've picked up:
  • Saints Row IV
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • State of Decay
  • All the Sleeping Dogs DLC
  • Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

State of Decay is awesome, I can see playing this for a while.

Well I've not played that game so can only assume he's like that too? I don't like GTA games and/or Rockstar's gaming agenda but you seem to so you may well enjoy FFVII. Hope you enjoy it much more than I did! :)

nbthedude

So it is possible in this day and age don't know what FF7 is.

If Valve will add some community cards metagame, winter sale will be saved, I'd think, even if it's repetition of autumn sale.

FF7 is like the 1980's and big hair and butt rock. People who were there can look back nostalgically but not without being embarassed. Everyone else is just confused and embarassed that it happened.

I say that as someone who loved FF7 when I was 18. I wish I could say I was younger. I would have had a better excuse.

LOL! Sounds like my issues with FFX. I still love FFVII (and VIII), granted I haven't actually played it since 1998 (it was the reason I bought my Playstation after all), but just purchased it the other night on Steam, so I may run through it again in the near future. I will say that if you've never played JRPGs or didn't grow up with 90s consoles it may not hold the same sway over you. At the time it was an experience that could not be matched by the Saturn or N64 (I was not a PC gamer then). Personally, my favorite FF is V, but I really like VII,VIII, and XII.

I've found that if I replay games that I played years ago when they were originally released the nostalgia goggles help obscure 99% of the game's issues. However, if I play a game that is generally revered that I didn't play at the time of it's release then I find it a much harder job doing so. I find it's best to treat it as a history lesson and keep one's expectations in check. That's hard though when it is pretty much universally fellated.

I've always liked you Turfster :).

UnrealEck

I think the one thing I really dislike about FF7 looking back on it is the presentation. The presentation of FF9 is way better.

Eh, after looking around at the mods available, I decided to jump in anyways to see what all the fuss was about. Thanks for all the replies, especially The One Who Knocks.

Cheers.

Glad to assist. Hopefully you enjoy it as I had. What the previous user (woo and indeed hoo) has said about the script and graphics certainly holds through, it is undeniable that those two aspects have simply not held up well, however the gameplay has survived relatively intact (there are some clumsy segments, but the core of the game is unbattered and is very fun). For the small barrier to entry that is currently presented (the price), I think you have made the correct decision, even though there are many others who disagree (due to the components that have aged) I might also suggest Lost Odyssey if you have a 360 which was very similar to Final Fantasy 7 (the JRPGs I had played before FF7 were Crisis Core and Lost Odyssey), and while it's much more restrictive in some areas (mainly in the volume of activities that you can do), and lacking in others (the story is pretty generic [with some incredibly written short stories], the main character somewhat bland, the introduction is monstrously long), the gameplay is very similar and the outdated areas of Final Fantasy 7 (the graphics and writing) are no longer an issue.

Again, it's worth emphasizing that this (Final Fantasy 7) probably won't be the greatest game you've ever played in 2013 or 2014, but it is still absolutely enjoyable if you can overlook some of the more outdated and clunky aspects.

I think I enjoy FF7's combat the most out of all the classic FFs though, but 7 isn't my favorite in everything else.

I hope SE port more of them to PC or something.

I haven't played the others, but I can certainly concur that the combat within the game is very strong, as is the soundtrack. The cast of characters are also quite likeable but I can easily see the other Final Fantasy games surpassing them (my experience with Cloud was somewhat clouded [I apologise for that awful, awful pun] after having played Crisis Core admittedly which probably allowed me to overlook some of his more annoying aspects).

Did anyone pick up an extra copy of SR4 they want to sell me. I couldn't get it from amazon at 14.99 because I only have paypal, now its too late :(

Chavelo

Got about 6 dollars left for today's sale. Hopefully something good like SFxT or KOFXIII pop up, cause I think I'm good with what I have at the moment. Need more fighters on my library.

There will definitely be new games added to the sale for Christmas. This was just a 1 week sale where the christmas sale will be two weeks. No way they are going to stretch these exact same sales out for that long. I'd guess the emails were pointing to any game that was in this sale being in the next sale as well at the same price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I've hardly dug into the price history of every 2010-2012 release on Steam, but the only two games I'm aware of that didn't have identical discounts between the Autumn and Winter Sales (excluding titles that weren't featured during the former but were during the latter, as well as titles that skipped the former but were included in the latter) are Portal 2 (2011) and Cities XL 2011 (2010). Deeper discounts can happen but from what I've gleaned they're very rare.

Arthea

FF7 is like the 1980's and big hair and butt rock. People who were there can look back nostalgically but not without being embarassed. Everyone else is just confused and embarassed that it happened.

I say that as someone who loved FF7 when I was 18. I wish I could say I was younger. I would have had a better excuse.

Nah, that's not true, I still love it and replay time to time, it has awesome amounts of content, minigames and it's really fun to play. I can't name any game quite like FF7 after, no embarrassed at all. Do we have now such games, with all enemies in all locations being unique, not repainted wolves, slightly faster zombies, or 10001st kind of skeleton knight? Do we have games with arcades full of games in those games? And materia system is great. The only real flaw of FF7 that it is a bit too easy and don't have difficulty levels, add those, upgrade graphics a little, may be add save plus option and it is a perfect game.

edited: then again some people hate fun, so I'm not saying that it's a perfect game for everyone

Just noticed Surgeon Simulator is only $2.49

Spwn said:
Ever wanted to cut someone open and rub their intestines on their face? Have you ever wanted to do a brain surgery in a moving ambulance? Well, now you can.
Sold!

Edit

lol, noticed the FF 7 has already finished downloading. Ya, this is going to need some mods.

Baha

Got an extra to giveaway, enjoy:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cognition: Episode 1 -- MB-9040F793A97FD41B - Taken by Puppet Shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom