• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really? I believe it, but it's surprising to me.

Guess I don't need to worry about anything I miss during the current sale then.

Even if something you buy now does get a deeper discount, it's unlikely to be to a large degree -- Portal 2 only jumped up 9% (special discount: 66% to 75%) and Cities XL 2011 8% (general discount: 25% to 33%).

Turfster

What are the improvements though? Better laying of paths? More options?
Better laying of paths with more options, bigger maps and better graphics. The quests are kinda buggy and there aren't that many vehicles in vanilla, though. As for the DLC... Well, it's Colossal Order, so who knows if they're done yet ;)

DoomPaul"It'sNotHappening".gif

(There, now it's totally happening?)

Probably the Steambox beta announcement of who gets it.

lmao you also took away the wrong thing from it. It's not a supposed announcement that's news worthy, it's Steam streaming VGX that's new, assuming we can trust Geoff.

Also how's Counter Strike Global Offensive? Are the players as abundant like in TF2 or L4D and the servers are abundant worldwide?

Ahh yeesh.

What are the improvements though? Better laying of paths? More options?

I guess I'll wait for a "complete" pack, unless they're finished with the DLC?

Weird, I can browse fine. What's the problem?

CS:GO has like 80k players daily. Pretty healthy community, in numbers at least. More than TF2, anyhow.

KF server browser is just bad. Even while highlightning a server, it keeps autoscrolling, takes ages to load the servers, even trying to get to a specific server is annoying.

Turfster

Screw that nonsense.

On the one hand, this isn't a normal humble bundle but some Yogscast streaming christmas charity thing, so I get they're trying to do something new and get as much money as they can for charity.
On the other hand... yeah, they didn't do themselves any favors with this. People have come to expect a certain thing from humble bundles, and this is not it. It could potentially backfire, even.

CS:GO has like 80k players daily. Pretty healthy community, in numbers at least. More than TF2, anyhow.

KF server browser is just bad. Even while highlightning a server, it keeps autoscrolling, takes ages to load the servers, even trying to get to a specific server is annoying.

Yea I hate the KF server browser too despite having played KF for a century, on the upside you can just F5 to refresh the already loaded lists nearly instantly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Oh yeah, I hate the autoscroll of KF and some servers not popping for some odd reason. Had to fave them to make sure I don't need to make them show up as well as adding some filters.

And CSGO is bigger than TF2 huh? I always thought TF2 would be bigger while CSGO would be smaller due to multiple CS games.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Added 30 to my steam wallet. I hate myself
KuGsj.gif

Jawmuncher

On the one hand, this isn't a normal humble bundle but some Yogscast streaming christmas charity thing, so I get they're trying to do something new and get as much money as they can for charity.
On the other hand... yeah, they didn't do themselves any favors with this. People have come to expect a certain thing from humble bundles, and this is not it. It could potentially backfire, even.

Yeah they should've re-evaluated the price.
True it is charity but I would think you'd gather more by using the traditional format.
The Origin or WB bundles wouldn't have done much at 25.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And CSGO is bigger than TF2 huh? I always thought TF2 would be bigger while CSGO would be smaller due to multiple CS games.

One was a possible competitive game that went casual and became an unbalanced mess. A mess that is so huge that Valve is trying to clean it up.

The other is a competitive game that has been built from the ground-up to be competitive and has had a huge competitive following for decades now.

Hmmmm... easy to see why one has a larger base over the other, wouldn't you say?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It already backfired as far as I'm concerned - people like me saw the page (which had no mention of a minimum) and the fact that it said Steam keys would be provided. So I purchased the bundle (for less than $25) and it sounds like I get nothing.

Seanspeed

Banned
FF7 is like the 1980's and big hair and butt rock. People who were there can look back nostalgically but not without being embarassed. Everyone else is just confused and embarassed that it happened.

I say that as someone who loved FF7 when I was 18. I wish I could say I was younger. I would have had a better excuse.
I just cant agree with this. JRPG's don't really 'age' outside the visual aspect. What makes a good JRPG is the same as it was back in the 90's. And FFVII is not considered one of the best JRPG's just because of its visuals.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean its a bad game or that its all nostalgia. Its actually one of the few games I can replay every couple years and it never seems to lose anything about what makes it so good.

I was looking at TF2 spreadsheets and I saw that summer shades are worth a few keys! But i would have to buy paper? to trade them which thereby makes it not worth while to trade :(

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
- I think so, it took me 19 hours to beat the game
- The replay value of the main campaign isn't very high because nothing will actually change on the second play through. But there are many user generated dungeons, some of which are really good.
- The strategy is mostly kiting from the enemies away to avoid being hit and use the ranged weapons guys (bow and arrow/magic) to your advantage. There definitely is strategy involved, but there is also blunt force.

That quite helps. Thank you very much. I believe I will most likely enjoy Legend of Grimrock.

Yeah they should've re-evaluated the price.
True it is charity but I would think you'd gather more by using the traditional format.
The Origin or WB bundles wouldn't have done much at 25.

$5 minimum is reasonable. I think I have 4 / 5 games but I would probably pay 5, too bad for yogg.

TheSeks

It already backfired as far as I'm concerned - people like me saw the page (which had no mention of a minimum) and the fact that it said Steam keys would be provided. So I purchased the bundle (for less than $25) and it sounds like I get nothing.

Already backfired so hard that they deleted the page.

Humble Bundle shouldn't even have had set a minimum of $25. Shot themselves and Yogcast in the foot because that isn't so "humble."

Now if they wanted a $5-10 minimum, that'd be a lot easier for most people to swallow.

H1PSTER

I haven't read the rest of this thread.

If you want to buy Splinter Cell: Blacklist DO NOT buy the Deluxe edition + the DLC, it will register on Uplay as two different games and mess up Uplay to the point where it crashes every time you load the game.

I learned the hard way and I'm absolutely devastated, I love the game and really wanted to play it :|

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was looking at TF2 spreadsheets and I saw that summer shades are worth a few keys! But i would have to buy paper? to trade them which thereby makes it not worth while to trade :(

Yeah I don't get it either... I have those summer shades and people always ask me weird questions about them.

Turfster

You get a TF2 trinket! (cough)
But yeah, that early leak was baaaaaaaaaad.

Humble Bundle shouldn't even have had set a minimum of $25. Shot themselves and Yogcast in the foot because that isn't so "humble."
Guys, I think the onus here is on Yogscast, not Humble.
It's their thing, Humble is just providing the platform.

One was a possible competitive game that went casual and became an unbalanced mess. A mess that is so huge that Valve is trying to clean it up.

The other is a competitive game that has been built from the ground-up to be competitive and has had a huge competitive following for decades now.

Hmmmm... easy to see why one has a larger base over the other, wouldn't you say?

I think the problem is a bunch of people went to DOTA 2 and CS:GO.

TheSeks

Doesn't include Garry's mode, but it's worth the collection at that price.

I think the problem is a bunch of people went to DOTA 2 and CS:GO.

Whoosh.

Here's a hint:

The unbalanced mess is TF2
. People that wanted an even-balanced game/competitive game without bullshit left for better pastures. Unfortunately for Valve, there's only so much "WACKY XD!" bullshit they can add to the game before people have enough and just want the base items + more maps (oh, Valve... how I long for 2008) and that was it.

When did CS:GO start hitting those numbers wow. I guess a lot of people picked it up during the sale or something. Also skyrim is #3 now too

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

JakeD

SM3DW has gotten my son hooked on mario and he asked for some games for XMas...paying 30 dollars for 7 year old games after mostly buying pc games for the past year is torture

I got a 50% off Postal coupon. It says 'does not stack with other discounts', does this apply to Steam sales as well?

Because if anyone wants it, they're welcome to have it. Especially if they give me a Skyrim card or two in return. :lol

Jawmuncher

I just cant agree with this. JRPG's don't really 'age' outside the visual aspect. What makes a good JRPG is the same as it was back in the 90's. And FFVII is not considered one of the best JRPG's just because of its visuals.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean its a bad game or that its all nostalgia. Its actually one of the few games I can replay every couple years and it never seems to lose anything about what makes it so good.

Agreed. Especially the second part. I played FF7 way after it's release a few years ago for the first time and thought it was amazing at that point. Even after hearing all the talk and everything else.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doesn't include Garry's mode, but it's worth the collection at that price.

Ah, I didn't realise there was a Gmod + CS:S bundle.

I got a 50% off Postal coupon. It says 'does not stack with other discounts', does this apply to Steam sales as well?

Because if anyone wants it, they're welcome to have it. Especially if they give me a Skyrim card or two in return. :lol

Yes. If a game has a pre-existing discount, the coupon is rendered invalid, even if it offers a higher discount than that already present.

Boss Doggie

I guess my post wasn't clear. I was strictly referring to CSGO, not CS as a whole. I kinda thought each version has its own fanbase (like Counter Strike vs Source).

And what the hell is up with that post about TF2 lol

And I dunno about you but some weapons actually made some classes playable *cough Pyro* At the very least, the broken aspect of the game comes from the core classes themselves than the updates.

Man Max Payne run hella slow, lose some weight grandpa!

Hey, I'm trying! Losing weight gets harder the older you get :(.

SM3DW has gotten my son hooked on mario and he asked for some games for XMas...paying 30 dollars for 7 year old games after mostly buying pc games for the past year is torture

Ouch! If he has access to a 3DS then I highly recommend that game's predecessor i.e. SUPER MARIO 3D LAND. It is really good :).

Nintendo has a promo on it for new 3DS owners too:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns...R-MARIO-3D-LAND-Welcome-Promotion-831595.html

Your mileage territory may vary.

derExperte

If you want to buy Splinter Cell: Blacklist DO NOT buy the Deluxe edition + the DLC, it will register on Uplay as two different games and mess up Uplay to the point where it crashes every time you load the game.

I learned the hard way and I'm absolutely devastated, I love the game and really wanted to play it :|

Are you this guy? http://steamcommunity.com/app/235600/discussions/0/648812917406278342/ There seems to be a way around the crash.

Uiki

When did CS:GO start hitting those numbers wow. I guess a lot of people picked it up during the sale or something. Also skyrim is #3 now too

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Before dreamhack/steam sale it was like 45/50k unique players per day.

So it has almost doubled the player base in 3 days. (and in the dreamhack finals the streaming reached 140k viewers).

The most astonishing thing is that they are not css or 1.6 players.

Damn, that's shitty D: although it seems there's a fix.
EDIT: Damn, you already knew about it :p

Whoosh.

Here's a hint:

The unbalanced mess is TF2
. People that wanted an even-balanced game/competitive game without bullshit left for better pastures. Unfortunately for Valve, there's only so much "WACKY XD!" bullshit they can add to the game before people have enough and just want the base items + more maps (oh, Valve... how I long for 2008) and that was it.

I know it is TF2 you are referring to. I'm just saying the real problem is people migrating to other games, not because of the "unbalanced mess" (I haven't played TF2 in a long ass time to say anything in this matter).

Boss Doggie

I still don't get the unbalanced mess thing though, since most of the time people prefer the original weapons over the added ones save for a few (like Pyro, and maybe the occasional Demo).

I know it is TF2 you are referring to. I'm just saying the real problem is people migrating to other games, not because of the "unbalanced mess" (I haven't played TF2 in a long ass time to say anything in this matter).

TF2 is the most balanced it ever has been. Don't blame Seks for not understanding anything since he is still trying to understand what has happened in the 6 years he decided to stay on the laughably horrible xbox version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom