• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen a lot of talk around here about the Stanley Parable or Sir, You Are Being Hunted. Any opinions?

The discounts, so far, aren't very deep, though.

Gazoinks

Dear god. This game is going to make me cry, I know it.

Entirely possible, but that'll just make it more satisfying once you show it who's boss!

I haven't seen a lot of talk around here about the Stanley Parable or Sir, You Are Being Hunted. Any opinions?

The discounts, so far, aren't very deep, though.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is already pretty awesome. I've only played it a little because I don't want to burn out before release like I did with Don't Starve. If you like survival games or stuff like STALKER, I'd definitely recommend it.

Good advice here. Just do not ever upgrade the Drake Sword. Seriously. It may be tempting, but don't do it! It's a terrible idea! Really!

It autosaves constantly.

DO NOT ATTACK NPCS EVER UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

There aren't any difficulty settings, although look up how to get the Drake Sword if you want a much easier early game.

And go directly to the graveyard once you reach Firelink Shrine.
don't do that

Dr Dogg

If we get Destiny and MGSV I will be set.

I have a feeling we will get both, the evidence is there, it makes sense from a financial perspective, just make it happen.

I think Activision would be mad not to put Destiny on PC same goes for Ubi and the Division (plus Massive are somewhat competent PC devs). Konami are a bit bonkers but fingers crossed the Rising port comes out soonish and sells like gangbusters and then they can't say no.

denx

A bit OT: the Origin sale ends tomorrow right? I'm tempted to get the Awakened DLC for Dead Space 3 and the Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition upgrade (what can I say, I really like the ME trilogy flaws and all and I've wanted that N7 hoodie since forever).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If we get Destiny and MGSV I will be set.

I have a feeling we will get both, the evidence is there, it makes sense from a financial perspective, just make it happen.

Destiny is a given considering its very nature (not to mention the leaked contract), but I'd be wary of taking Kojima's "MGS5 PC isn't a priority at the moment" as a green light. I think Konami greenlit a PC port of MGR so it'd have a relatively cheap but -- most importantly -- reliable way of measuring how much interest in MGS exists on the PC side.

Hmmm...did I miss FTL? I've been waiting for that one to go on sale for a while now. I'm sure it will show up as a daily anyway. I guess I'll finally bite on Papers Please though. I want to see what all the fuss is about.

Yes, Papers Please is 5 bucks. My wish granted. Probably going to grab Skullgirls too,

Get to detaining people!

ibn5Qd4AQ9XtwN.gif

Havel

Ok guys just started my Dark Souls playthrough. Just a couple of quick question, how do I save game? Also how do I change the difficulty settings?

No difficulty setting, and as Gazoinks said above, it saves automatically where you are. The game has real consequences if you fuck up with an NPC. Strictly speaking, there IS a character who will allow you to absolve your sins if you make any NPC hostile but he can't bring any back you have killed. And if you accidentely make him hostile then you are screwed for the rest of your playthrough.

Dark Souls bought and downloaded and no time to play it lol...Saturday I should get some time to play... I wanted Skyrim and Dark Souls now I don't know what to buy...

That made me remember: all those reselled games on Gamestop and the like that require Steam are freaking useless, right?

probably, this is the second time I buy a <5€ game (brand new) which requires Steam and once you redeem the code you can't lend it to a friend, because once the game it's installed it asks him for the activation code you previously redeemed, so it won't work.

Gazoinks

And go directly to the graveyard once you reach Firelink Shrine.
don't do that

Remember: If the skeletons beat you immediately upon reaching Firelink, you are bad at this game.

(that was a joke)

I'm pretty sure those skeletons are responsible for the most ragequits in the entire game.

Other random Dark Souls tips (spoilered for people who want to go in blind):
-As has been mentioned, the Drake Sword is pretty handy. Does a lot of damage early on, but don't use it as a crutch and DO NOT UPGRADE IT. Its damage doesn't scale at all, so it becomes obsolete quickly. Use it while you build a better weapon.
-Immediately after arriving on Firelink, explore the place, there's a bunch of stuff. I like to spend all the Souls I can and then dash into the graveyard and grab the items there (and likely get murdered by skeletons). The Zweihander and Winged Spear in particular are great weapons.
-Get a shield with good stability and 100% phys block as soon as you can. Keep your shield up as much as you can, but remember your stamina recovers faster when not defending.
-If you get the Master Key as your Gift, you can take the lift under Firelink into New Londo, then head into the tower next door and get into the Valley of The Drakes. Follow the cliff for a while and you'll see two items guarded by a dragon corpse. Grab them and you'll get murdered by the zombie dragon, but that's okay because the Astora Straight Sword and Dragon Crest shield are really good!

Keikaku

How is FFVII on PC? I have the original PSX version but a PC version with nicer textures and the like would be ace.

Any thoughts?

REMINDER: 15 minutes left!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Paper's Please -- MB-C224C90EF0C1EB4D - Taken by Sajjaja. 102 entrants total.

t1385673018z1.png

last call to enter the raffle

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Hexagon -- MB-9028CEA69837CA31
Sleeping Dogs -- MB-E1DED29024E913ED

t1385674771z1.png

Mairu

Looks like no purchases for me again today. Not sure if there's anything I'm waiting for this sale, just hoping the metagame during the winter sale is good.

Dr Dogg

Same. It is always interesting to see how long I last before rage-quitting due to some bullshit death. Demon Souls is still brutal.

I that's why it's always has a special place in my heart. Though I tend to treat it like a dark fantasy Mega Man. Got to do the stages in the right order to get the good Demon'S Souls and items first to make shit easier on yourself.

That gives me a great idea.

Oh no, no, no, no. I can see it now. Dark Saoirse's: Prepare to Ronan Edition.

Grief.exe

I do the same with Demon's Souls on PS3 from time to time. You should definitely add that to your pick up list if you haven't already.

I have picked up

Demon Souls
Metal Gear Solid Legacy
Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted 2
Vanquish
God of War Saga

To Pick up
Last of Us (Comes with the Bundle)
Journey
Thinking about ZOE HD and ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD

I'm feeling that desire to play through Dark Souls again, I think I may satiate that with some Demons after my Last of Us play through.

Sure, we all will return if 2 is not better that 1...

I don't get it, you don't play classic games again?

Caerith

Don't listen to "Get the Drake Sword" remarks though.

The Drake Sword has high damage relative to how early you can get it, trivializing most early enemies so you don't need to learn how to play. The drawback is that once it stops being "easy mode" you're going to get your ass kicked if you don't learn how to play.

The reinforced club, fire axe, or other early weapons all have lower damage but make equally quick work of enemies if you know how to play. Their drawbacks are... um....

Gazoinks

The Capra Demon has been the most difficult part so far, IMO.

Yeah, I'd honestly say he's probably the hardest boss in the game, because you're pretty underequipped when you fight him and he will kill you without a second thought. Best strategy imo, is to run for the stairs, take the dogs up ASAP, and then go up onto the ledge next to the stairs and hit the demon when he can't get at you.

It sure is satisfying beating him up when he appears as a normal enemy later though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom