• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I believe they've updated quite a few of the mods to be "Steam compatible" so that you don't have to roll the game back, and some claim to even work with achievements and cloud saving now. So the situation with modding FFVII is better than it was when the game was released on Steam, though YMMV and it still requires a bit of tweaking.

Also, I'm still planning on buying FFVIII the day it comes out on Steam. For now I have the remake of FFV on android to tide me over.

Good to hear Jshacks, I apologize my knowledge of FFVII is wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy outdated at this point.

You have played FFVI right?

Vibranium

Banned
I finally nabbed Skyrim Legendary for 20 bucks, seems about right to me. It may not have the greatest combat ever as thousands of internet threads went on about when it launched but I'll probably have a great time despite being more of a Fallout guy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good to hear Jshacks, I apologize my knowledge of FFVII is wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy outdated at this point.

You have played FFVI right?

Yes and it's my absolute favorite in the series, even still. If Squenix is listening, PLEASE remake VI even if it's like the android remake of V. Bonus points if it's released on Steam.

The only Final Fantasy games I haven't beat are 2, 11 (not sure if this one has an ending), and 13 / 13-2. I've also not played 14 as MMO games aren't really my thing.

Woorloog

Banned
I finally nabbed Skyrim Legendary for 20 bucks, seems about right to me. It may not have the greatest combat ever as thousands of internet threads went on about when it launched but I'll probably have a great time despite being more of a Fallout guy.

At times it feels like i'm the only one who has no problem with Skyrim's combat. It is least of its worries, i think.

Caerith

Yes and it's my absolute favorite in the series, even still. If Squenix is listening, PLEASE remake VI even if it's like the android remake of V. Bonus points if it's released on Steam.
I ran your post through google translate (English -> Japanese) then back again (Japanese -> English). It came out "Squenix, a remake of VI would only be good if all the characters were replaced with Lightning."

The only Final Fantasy games I haven't beat are 2, 11 (not sure if this one has an ending), and 13 / 13-2.
XI has multiple endings. Beating the original storyline (Shadow Lord), getting to rank 10 in each nation, beating the Zilart storyline, beating the Promathia storyline, etc.

Arsenic13

Skyrim Legendary is mine. I didn't do much in the Xbox version. The passion I had for Oblivion wasnt there. Spent a few hours modding it, and I am very happy with it. My first year as a PC gamer has been good.

Bouniter

I have picked up

Demon Souls
Metal Gear Solid Legacy
Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted 2
Vanquish
God of War Saga

To Pick up
Last of Us (Comes with the Bundle)
Journey
Thinking about ZOE HD and ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD

I'm feeling that desire to play through Dark Souls again, I think I may satiate that with some Demons after my Last of Us play through.

I don't get it, you don't play classic games again?

Really nice list you have great taste very similar to mine so I would just like to add a few recommendations

Dont think about getting Ico/SoTC collection just buy it

Flower and Fl0w are both well worth a play Flower especially from the same creator as Journey

Uncharted 1 and 3 are also well worth playing though 2 is arguably the pinnacle of the series

Dragons Dogma if you want another great RPG that isn't Demons Souls

If you want racing game Split/Second is in my opinion the best racing game this gen followed closely by the Dirt series

Afrika very different a game about taking pictures of African animals think pokemon snap for grown ups. Its not perfect but if that in anyway appeals to you your gonna love it. Is only available in America though so i had to import it

I'm sure I could add more but it looks like you have more than enough to play for now and I'm trying to keep it to stuff on on consoles I hope you enjoy them.

Inversive

mods make the combat more bearable.

Vibranium

Banned
At times it feels like i'm the only one who has no problem with Skyrim's combat. It is least of its worries, i think.

Yeah, I've heard other stuff like the story/dialogue is pretty bland (Bethesda needs to hire new writers, get Avellone or someone from Obsidian stat, Guerilla Games hired a New Vegas scribe recently), uninteresting questlines and streamlined RPG mechanics. Still, I'll be able to enjoy exploring the world.

mods make the combat more bearable.

I'll be sure to do that, thanks for the heads-up!

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I've heard other stuff like the story/dialogue is pretty bland (Bethesda needs to hire new writers, get Avellone or someone from Obsidian stat, Guerilla Games hired a New Vegas scribe recently), uninteresting questlines and streamlined RPG mechanics. Still, I'll be able to enjoy exploring the world.

Not my problem with Skyrim either, except perhaps the last. Well, the story has potential but doesn't really deliver, but can't do much about that, still it ain't awful, just okayish.
Going to make my own overhaul probably (some searching before hasn't uncovered a mod that suits my tastes), for skill/perk system primarily, along with some other settings/item modifications. And spells, magic needs to be powerful.

Grief.exe

Dragons Dogma if you want another great RPG that isn't Demons Souls

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm trying to keep it at the absolute best games that would be considered must-play status since I already have plenty of games on PC to play.
You noticed it, but that is why I decided to skip out on Uncharted 1 and 3 for example.

I want to pick up Dragon's Dogma, but I will continue to wait it out and see if it eventually comes to PC. If not, I might just ignore it entirely or pick it up even cheaper on PS3.

nbthedude

I wish the Dark Souls Aggression Mod was easier to install. I spent and hour trying to figure out how to use this "Cheat Engine" program with it and I never was able to figure out how to install the mod. A simple EXE would be nice.

Vibranium

Banned
Not my problem with Skyrim either, except perhaps the last. Well, the story has potential but doesn't really deliver, but can't do much about that, still it ain't awful, just okayish.
Going to make my own overhaul probably (some searching before hasn't uncovered a mod that suits my tastes), for skill/perk system primarily, along with some other settings/item modifications. And spells, magic needs to be powerful.

Ah, so it's more items, magic and balance issues for you?

masterkajo

Thought I write a few words about my favorite game since some are still on the fence about buying it.

Everyone buy Dark Souls.

And experience the best game of the last generation. It is currently -80% off as a Steam Daily Deal so there is no excuse not to get it.

FAQ:

-"Is it really as good as people say it is?"
Yes.

-"But... but, it is too difficult for me."
No, it is not. It is a challenging game, I give you that, but the difficulty is vastly exaggerated. It is true though that you have to invest some time into the game and learn the enemies and environments. Don't expect to play for 2 hours and "press A to Awesome". But when you decide to invest, you get back a thousandfold.

-"Is it true that there is hardly any story?"
No, there is a story. A big one, actually. The lore behind this game is huge and the characters and relationships between them are pretty complex, I'd say. Thing is though, to get the full experience you have to pay attention to your surroundings, talk to the characters and read item descriptions etc. On top of that, you have to use your brain to figure some stuff out yourself (e.g. you talk to a nice NPC that wears a big red dress and later in the game you find a corpse near a big trap and loot a big red dress from it, chances are the NPC died here - or maybe he/she was robbed and you looted the big red dress from the thief? - or there are more than one person wearing big red dresses?) Anyway, the more you invest in the story, the more you get back.

-"What is this I hear about MODs?"
You owe yourself to play Dark Souls in 60FPS with high resolution. The mod that allows this is called DSfix and is brought to you by Durante, one of GAF's finest and my own personal hero. (Haven't been to Innsbruck yet, still owe you two bears beers.) There are a lot of other mods that are not really needed though. Have a look yourself in the Dark Souls Nexus if you are interested.

-"How do I install the mod?"
Instructions are provided once downloaded, but it is as easy as copy/pasteing some folders. Then you need to change the "DSfix.ini" which you copied in the Dark Souls "DATA" folder. You can change rendering and display resolution, DoF and AA and whatnot. If you don't know what you are doing than simply find "unlockFPS" and change it from 0 to 1 ("unlockFPS 1")

-"I get some graphical issues."
Make sure to disable in-game Anti-Aliasing. It doesn't work with DSfix. You can activate any form of AA within DSfix.ini to your hards content.

-"Will I get banned from Game for Windows - Live for unlocking the framerate?"
No. Theoretically it is possible, but no case has ever been reported.

-"KB/M or Controller?"
Controller if you can. Use DSMfix if you are using KB/M. This mod fixes the bad mouse controls.

-"Ok, ok, you convinced me, I'll buy it. Some early game tips?"
20_Tips_for_Beginners.jpg

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
To whomever grabs these, I hope you enjoy them. If you do get them, no need to say thank you.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723889.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Closure -- MB-66835674A4ECE2E6 - Taken by Colin.. 9 entrants total.
Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-3701C87BFEA7FAAB - Taken by DurielBlack. 1 entrants total.

t1385686384z1.png

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, so it's more items, magic and balance issues for you?

Yeah. Boring items, boring magic. Also races need more diversity, perks should be less important when compared to skill itself (perks should be fun additions).

Of course if i start thinking about this closely, i'll probably tweak just about everything...

Dr Dogg

You know what I've only just noticed this bit the Free To Play icon on the Store page has someone pulling their pockets out to show they are penniless. Is it meant to signify that "don't worry about being broke here play these games for nowt" or "you fire this game up son and you ain't going to have nothing left in your pockets but lint"?

The mind boggles.

Gazoinks

You know what I've only just noticed this bit the Free To Play icon on the Store page has someone pulling their pockets out to show they are penniless. Is it meant to signify that "don't worry about being broke here play these games for nowt" or "you fire this game up son and you ain't going to have nothing left in your pockets but lint"?

The mind boggles.

Somehow I think it's the latter, but you never know.

masterkajo

I've actually had it sitting in my inventory for awhile, but the one thing I'm concerned about is starting a game and losing the save if GFWL gets removed.

But you have more than half a year until this might happen. Surely you can finish it in this time, no? Also, I am sure if they don't patch GFWL out, there will be mods that fix pretty much everything.

EDIT: Didn't think about the fact that they could actually patch it next month. Anyway, the game is so good that you can start a second time even if you lose your save. And b/c you know all the stuff already you will rush through the beginning in now time. For me the first playthrough took about 50 hours, I think. The speedrun times of this game including all bosses are about 1 1/2 hours. If you know what you are doing, you can beat this game pretty fast.

What I use:
Skyrim Project Optimization
Falskaar
SPIKE
SKSE
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Build Your Own Home
Followers can Relax
Amazing follower tweaks
Midas Magic
Faster Vanilla horses
Horse armors
Yeti's weightless stuff (Ingredients are weightless)
SkyUI
Lord's mail Quest
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches
Towns and Villages Enhanced - Riverwood
Real Glaciers V2
Better Dynamic Snow
Seratic Armor
Project Reality: Climates of Tamriel
Invested Magic
Xenius Character Enhancement
Sounds of Skyrim
Wyrmstooth
Better horses
Knights of the Nine V2.6
Lush Grass
Pure Waters
Isilmeriel's LOTF weapons
Moonpath to Elsweyr
SkyTEST - Realistic Animals
Immersive Armors
Locational Damage (Makes the combat better)
Enhanced Character Edit
Frostfall
Realistic Lighting Overhaul

I keep adding more, but those are what I currently have installed.

Gazoinks

Ah, modding Bethesda games is more addicting than the games themselves. I ended up with 150 mods on my New Vegas playthrough, and it was somehow still stable.

Acccent

this is

so fast...

how could I ever keep up with the summer sales thread?

Anyway: nice new OP! and I'm pretty relieved that Salsa is alright. Hope your job goes well man!

Still haven't bought anything from the sale, I don't know if I'm hoping it'll stay that way or that somethng I want gets discounted...

edit: and I see the giveaways are cool as always... if people are interested I may do some mini-challenge like I did in the summer(?) sale :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom