• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

So let's pretend I've never bought a game on PC before and wanted to use this sale to start a little collection... So far I'm looking at getting Dark Souls, Super Hexagon, Binding of Isaac, Terraria, Don't Starve and Papers Please...

Are these good choices? Is there anything else that's a must have? I'm not really into FPS and my PC is not a graphics powerhouse.

Make sure to download DSFix for Dark Souls, as well as the Mouse fix if you don't have a gamepad.

Fjord

HUMBLE WEEKLY QUICK QUESTIONS

1) What's Defense Grid Gold? I can't seem to find it on Steam. I have DG Awakening in my wishlist (can't even remember why, but hey.. :D ) but I dunno. Does this DG Gold in some way includes Awakening?

2) Is SPAZ any good? I don't see it in my library even though I was sure I owned it, so I just want to know if I should add it or give away it!

Thanks guyz

I think Awakening was the base game? Anyway the game has some great expansions, it even had some tie ins with portal. Defense Grid is probably my #1 Steam game under $10.

SPAZ was good enough to hold my interest for 10 hours or so which is definitely above average. I'd probably put it in the same league as Faster Than Light.

Anilx3

Wait for a Daily or a Flash sale for the Ys games. They can be cheaper.

Buy System Shock 2 and Papers Please RIGHT NOW.

Cool, thanks for the tip! I've heard lots of good things about Papers Please.

Dark Souls looks interesting too, but that's probably much too difficult for my skill level. Sleeping Dogs looks interesting too though, so many good deals!

Make sure to download DSFix for Dark Souls, as well as the Mouse fix if you don't have a gamepad.

Yeah, I've heard about Durante's fix, will definitely install it. I've managed to get my Wii U controller working on my PC previously, so I'm assuming it'll work with this... Fingers crossed.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
One of the best turn-based strategy games around. The graphics are awful though.

The fourth one was released on Desura, I can only hope it'll be released on Steam as well.

Even if I only play it single player? Someone else said the AI is terrible :(

Grief.exe

Just bought Skyrim: Legendary Edition. Feels good.

*Check Madrugador's profile*

0 Hours in Dark Souls
No SS2
No Don't Starve
No Papers, Please
No XCOM

9954b5a487531ee9b664d11eaacafd64.gif

Havel

Dark Souls difficulty is so overrated.

I would say compared to most games these days Dark Souls is difficult. However, back in the 90s and earlier games were like Dark Souls all the time in terms of difficulty. You had to take your time, learn the enemies' moves and level layout. It seems to be a lost skill amongst a lot of gamers these days which is a shame.

*Check Madrugador's profile*

0 Hours in Dark Souls

Don't judge him too quick!
I also have 0 hours in Dark Souls on my Steam account. Maybe he just installed the game from disc and only activated the code just to have it in his Steam library.

Right Madrugador? Right?
You're dead to me of you play Skyrim instead of Dark Souls.

Dark Souls difficulty is so overrated.

Word. It's nothing but punishing.

Lautaro

Ha, I have 0 hours in Dark Souls too, I just can't be calm when I see console button icons in my PC games... I'll give it a try in the future, probably before System Shock 2.

Grief.exe

Does FFVII still have that bad DRM? I heard it had some horrible Uplay DRM and I have never played a Uplay game on PC.

One time online activation for the Steam version. No other DRM.

Ha, I have 0 hours in Dark Souls too, I just can't be calm when I see console button icons in my PC games... I'll give it a try in the future, probably before System Shock 2.

Either way, you are playing two of the best games of all time.

Fjord

Sounds like I should try Dark Souls. Double the price in NZ though. Here's my trade offer, PM me if interested:

Offering
Renegade Ops - $7.50 (50% off)
Mirror's Edge - $9.99 (50% off)
Torchlight 2 - $7.49 (50% off)

For
Dark Souls: Prepare to die edition - $5.99 (80% off)

Honestly I love Steam sales but the DLC fuckery some publishers engage in is sort of disgusting to me. Bethesda does it with Skryim too, I really want dragonborn since it's the only dlc I don't have but it's more expensive than the base game. It's not even like you can buy the goty/complete edition and resell the extras as steam gifts. It's also counter productive for them because they've taught me to simply wait for the pricedrops/goty before purchasing at this point.

Terraria 2.49 USD
The Binding Of Isaac 2.49 USD
Super Hexagon 0.59 USD
Dark Souls 5.99 USD
Don't Starve 5.09 USD
FTL: Faster Than Light 4.99 USD
Papers, Please 4.99 USD
System Shock 2 2.49 USD

Welp, goodbye life. That's a lot of game for 30 bones.

Lemstar

Reposting:

For the Americans here, Best Buy has the Elder Scrolls Anthology for $30+tax shipped; if you were planning on buying Skyrim Legendary; this might be an option on the table, since it includes Skyrim + Oblivion + Morrowind on Steam with all the DLC, on top of physical copies of the first four games. (Skyrim is Steamworks, unfortunately, so the disc copy there is just for show.)

If you'd like me to help out, my Gamers Club 20% discount applies towards it, so it'd be $24+tax instead.

Colin.

Does anyone know if Gameflys steam keys are region locked? Dishonored GOTY edition is a bit cheaper in the US, it says it's available for purchase in the US and Canada, but an actual region lock is not mentioned.

eot

Banned
I would say compared to most games these days Dark Souls is difficult. However, back in the 90s and earlier games were like Dark Souls all the time in terms of difficulty. You had to take your time, learn the enemies' moves and level layout. It seems to be a lost skill amongst a lot of gamers these days which is a shame.

See, I don't think it's anything like 90's games, it's way more cleverly designed than that. It's not a throwback at all.

Giard

Even if I only play it single player? Someone else said the AI is terrible :(

At first, you'll think it's hard because you have no experience. After a couple of games, it gets a lot easier. Even at the five dollar price point, it's kinda hard to justify the purchase as the fourth one has been released and the game is quite old with bad graphics, but the gameplay is great.

hlhbk

I have enhanced steam installed and it doesn't show me which games I own on the front page of the sale? Is this the way it is for everyone else?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone know if Gameflys steam keys are region locked? Dishonored GOTY edition is a bit cheaper in the US, it says it's available for purchase in the US and Canada, but an actual region lock is not mentioned.

They're not, and even if they were it's not an issue a VPN couldn't fix. The purchasing restrictions are just arbitrary.

Havel

See, I don't think it's anything like 90's games, it's way more cleverly designed than that. It's not a throwback at all.

I'm not necessarily saying it is a throwback, but certainly there is a lost skill which Demon's and Dark Souls brought to peoples attention. The art of learning enemies and the level design and being punished brutally if you don't. I think gamers from the pre-2000s were more accustomed to this.

Aesius

Wow, FUCK the Square Enix DRM on FF7.

I just bought it and registered an account online and went to log in to play, and it said my PW was wrong and locked me out. It just says to "try again later".

Such bullshit.

owasog

I haven't bought Dark Souls because of GFWL and the reports of it being an awful port and incredibly unfair (difficult).

But at this price I might as well try it. Only thing stopping me is GFWL. Does the game support playing with an offline user? (Bulletstorm doesn't)

scotcheggz

Hurray for Papers, please! One of the games I was waiting to pop up. My friend has been banging on at me for a while about outlast, thoughts? Any good? I don't really trust his judgement, he is amazing at playing 5 minutes of a game, declaring it GOTY and never playing it again lol.

Reposting

For the Americans here, Best Buy has the Elder Scrolls Anthology for $30+tax shipped; if you were planning on buying Skyrim Legendary; this might be an option on the table, since it includes Skyrim + Oblivion + Morrowind on Steam with all the DLC, on top of physical copies of the first four games. (Skyrim is Steamworks, unfortunately, so the disc copy there is just for show.)

If you'd like me to help out, my Gamers Club 20% discount applies towards it, so it'd be $24+tax instead.

How would one use your Gamers Club Discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom