• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I haven't bought Dark Souls because of GFWL and the reports of it being an awful port and incredibly unfair (difficult).

But at this price I might as well try it. Only thing stopping me is GFWL. Does the game support playing with an offline user? (Bulletstorm doesn't)

The only people who claim Dark Souls is unfair are those who refuse to learn from their mistakes.

Edit: And, yes, it supports offline profiles.

masterkajo

Fuck it, just picked up Dark Souls as well. I really wasnt crazy about demon souls, but I really didnt give it much of a chance. GAF hype got to me.

Good for you! I didn't quite like Demon's Souls either but totally fell in love with Dark Souls. The interconnected world (instead of the Nexus Hub and teleporting) as well as the brighter overall tone of mood and colors (and sunlight) made me like it much better.

I went back to Demon's Souls after and finished it. I have to agree that Demon's Souls does some things better than Dark Souls, still I much pefer Dark Souls overall which is proven by my >200h of playtime.

EDIT:
Is it needed to install mods to get Dark Souls running?

Only one you really need is DSfix. It unlocks framerate and allows for custom rendering resolutions.

Havel

I haven't bought Dark Souls because of GFWL and the reports of it being an awful port and incredibly unfair (difficult).

But at this price I might as well try it. Only thing stopping me is GFWL. Does the game support playing with an offline user? (Bulletstorm doesn't)

Yes it does support offline. Just create an offline GFWL account and it works fine.

The game isn't unfair, it just requires patience and a learning.

Lain

The Galastore sent me my Edna & Harvey: The Breakout steam key!

They actually sent me two, because I fucked up and sent two emails - I noticed the order email and the account email were different and I wasn't sure if they weren't replying because I sent the request with the wrong email and I thought they'd see that the order # was the same.
Now I feel bad and I'm not sure which one I should redeem.

Copons

I'd guess it's this. It's the only retail game + DLC sub in the registry.

Edit: Oh, wait, there's also this and this, which contain Borderlands DLC. The former lacks the You Monster DLC, though, and given the "Gold" moniker you could presumably rule it out as a candidate.

Edit edit: Derp, I muddled up the tabs. Fixed.

Oh, this all is sooooo difficult to understand. Better buy it now and think later. :D

I think Awakening was the base game? Anyway the game has some great expansions, it even had some tie ins with portal. Defense Grid is probably my #1 Steam game under $10.

SPAZ was good enough to hold my interest for 10 hours or so which is definitely above average. I'd probably put it in the same league as Faster Than Light.

Aw man, that's a huge thing to say!

scotcheggz

It's pretty great honestly, it does have GFWL, but otherwise it's fine. I played it with DSfix I think it was called, a configurable editor which allows you to mod the resolution etc. I think I used a mod for the HP bars and for the xbox button removal too. All easy to get and install.

*Check Madrugador's profile*

0 Hours in Dark Souls
No SS2
No Don't Starve
No Papers, Please
No XCOM

http://i1.kwejk.pl/site_media/obrazki/2011/08/9954b5a487531ee9b664d11eaacafd64.gif?1313877223

Don't judge him too quick!
I also have 0 hours in Dark Souls on my Steam account. Maybe he just installed the game from disc and only activated the code just to have it in his Steam library.

Right Madrugador? Right?
You're dead to me of you play Skyrim instead of Dark Souls.

Woah WOAH, I'm waiting for the obvious GFWL removal before playing Dark Souls guys.

Besides, playing Dark Souls first will make Skyrim look really bad.

Btw, I already have X-COM
on PS3.
I agree I should get SS2, Don't Starve and Papers, Please though.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
What do those reviewers say about other games?

No idea about other games, but the reviews are very descriptive and if the game is less than 3 hours long for $10,00 IDK, too steep for me.

I just finished it a few hours ago. It's hard to recommend really. The story is engrossing but it ultimately left me a bit unfulfilled.

Thanks, that's it for me.

Anustart

I keep hearing how great dark souls is. Been debating it forever.

Have a penny in my wallet I'm almost there! Hope its still on sale next Friday when I get paid. I might finally take the plunge and see what all the rage is.

Also making more progress in fallout 3, should have the video up this weekend.

Wow, FUCK the Square Enix DRM on FF7.

I just bought it and registered an account online and went to log in to play, and it said my PW was wrong and locked me out. It just says to "try again later".

Such bullshit.

Well, there goes that. Guess I'll just buy Papers Please.

and finally sleeping dogs

Colin.

They're not, and even if they were it's not an issue a VPN couldn't fix. The purchasing restrictions are just arbitrary.

Cool, cheers Jase. Thought that may of been the case, since US region locks are rare outside of 2K games. For anyone that has played Dishonored, is the DLC worthwhile?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cool, cheers Jase. Thought that may of been the case, since US region locks are rare outside of 2K games. For anyone that has played Dishonored, is the DLC worthwhile?

The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches are mini-campaigns that expand upon the story, so definitely snap them up. Dunwall City Trials is just a set of challenges, so you can ignore that unless you're really after more stuff to do, and everything else just pertains to various previously-retailer-exclusive weapons/power-ups.

I'm with everyone else, Dark Souls is a must buy. I put 69hrs into the game and it's my most played game on Steam. I haven't even beaten it yet, and have started 3 different characters. This is coming from someone who absolutely loathed Demon's Souls. Even though I like Dark Souls, I still can't get into that game. I think it's because Dark Souls is open world while Demon's Souls is level based, idk.

If difficulty's a problem then just choose the Warrior class, get the drake sword, and fly through the game (until it becomes under-leveled ofc). By the time you need to replace it, you'll have gotten used to the game and can enjoy it fully.

It saddens me that not only are people buying Final Fantasy 7 on Steam, but some are even going out of their way to recommend that horrendous port.

It's like L.A. Noire all over again.

Sini

I just made my first purchase ever from Amazon and I noticed it doesn't require card security code, just account number and expiration date. Why and how?
Every other place I have purchased(Steam, Humble Store, GMG) wanted that as well. I just got credit card 4 days ago so I'm very inexperienced with those.

well, I'm gonna resist today. I was lucky earlier, I found a copy of The Amazing Spiderman for 4,75€ in a shop nearby, so this is my daily deal heh

Fox318

Good for you! I didn't quite like Demon's Souls either but totally fell in love with Dark Souls. The interconnected world (instead of the Nexus Hub and teleporting) as well as the brighter overall tone of mood and colors (and sunlight) made me like it much better.

I went back to Demon's Souls after and finished it. I have to agree that Demon's Souls does some things better than Dark Souls, still I much pefer Dark Souls overall which is proven by my >200h of playtime.

EDIT:

Only one you really need is DSfix. It unlocks framerate and allows for custom rendering resolutions.

Technically no, but you really should install DSFix. It's an easy install though, not a big deal.

The only must-haves are DSfix and high-res fonts.

Them, and if you use a KB/M this.

Thanks for the info. I've heard such bad things about the base game that its kinda scared me off.

Looking forward to getting killed

also

ModBot said:
Instructions for Fox318:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cubemen -- MB-175C21F8318455AC - Taken by Gez

Miguel81

I really hope they patch gfwl out of Dark Souls, sometimes I have to reinstall the client or it won't let me log on. Stupid effin service, man!!

Gazoinks

I'm with everyone else, Dark Souls is a must buy. I put 69hrs into the game and it's my most played game on Steam. I haven't even beaten it yet, and have started 3 different characters. This is coming from someone who absolutely loathed Demon's Souls. Even though I like Dark Souls, I still can't get into that game. I think it's because Dark Souls is open world while Demon's Souls is level based, idk.

If difficulty's a problem then just choose the Warrior class, get the drake sword, and fly through the game (until it becomes under-leveled ofc). By the time you need to replace it, you'll have gotten used to the game and can enjoy it fully.

Good advice here. Just do not ever upgrade the Drake Sword. Seriously. It may be tempting, but don't do it! It's a terrible idea! Really!

Ok guys just started my Dark Souls play-through. Just a quick question, how do I save game? Also how do I change the difficulty settings?

It autosaves constantly.

DO NOT ATTACK NPCS EVER UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

There aren't any difficulty settings, although look up how to get the Drake Sword if you want a much easier early game.

AsylumX

I really hope they patch gfwl out of Dark Souls, sometimes I have to reinstall the client or it won't let me log on. Stupid effin service, man!!

Once they realease Dark Souls II you won't care about this, I think that's From Software take on GFWL on DS...

Eanan

Was anyone lucky enough to pick up the collectors item that is Ashes 2013 on steam before it was pulled for good almost instantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom