• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

firex said:
and I've really spent too much on that id Super Pack to justify buying Trackmania right away, so I'll have to opt out of that.

how is the super pack? it is worth the 60 bucks?

i'm thinking about it myself

Bit-Bit

Holy crap! There are much more PC gamers on GAF than I was originally led to believe. I'll be able to set mine up as soon as I get home. Just built a new pc so I got a new Steam account to go along with everything. Look out for Q_Monster in the near future.

firex

ElectricBlue187 said:

I think it's worth it, but a lot of it's good single player stuff. All the doom/heretic/hexen games (except hexen 2 since it runs on the Quake engine) can be played through Doomsday so they don't feel so antiquated. Then you get quake 1-3 and all their expansions, and Doom 3 + its expansion, which I think is pretty good but not the same as Doom 1/2.

If you don't want the whole pack, though, they have a lot of individual collections that are cheaper, like a Doom megapack or a Quake megapack.

fallout

ElectricBlue187 said:

If you want to play it all, in a convenient manner, then yes. Basically, just start adding up what you want, based on the different packs. Luckily, I hadn't purchased a lot of what was on there (I go through bouts of PC gaming), so when I started adding it up, it came to well over 100 bucks. Pretty easy to decide on the purchase.

And as firex mentioned, playing through Doom/HeXen/Heretic with Doomsday is just wonderful.

firex said:
I think it's worth it, but a lot of it's good single player stuff. All the doom/heretic/hexen games (except hexen 2 since it runs on the Quake engine) can be played through Doomsday so they don't feel so antiquated. Then you get quake 1-3 and all their expansions, and Doom 3 + its expansion, which I think is pretty good but not the same as Doom 1/2.

If you don't want the whole pack, though, they have a lot of individual collections that are cheaper, like a Doom megapack or a Quake megapack.

i mostly want it for the nostalgic feeling of playing Hexen and Heretic

1-D_FTW

Son of a gun. After a number of issues I reinstalled Windows on Sunday (just built a new CPU). Trackmania and Steam and everything worked fine.

Downloaded the beta this morning of Steam. Then for the first time since Sunday, I go to login in Steam to actually play something and I get a big update. And crash ahoy. Crash after freaking crash.

I can't even login in to Trackmania cause it tells me I'm not connected to the internet. This is on the rare occasion I get that far through the menus before it crashes.

This was just the topper of the issues I'm having with this machine and it sent me so over the edge I bitch slapped my keyboard to the point the space bar is totally defective.

If this computer doesn't quit pissing me off soon, I'm gonna sell the gaming components, get a cheap ATI HT card, and just go back to consoles.

Anyone else having issues with this afternoon update?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D_FTW said:
This was just the topper of the issues I'm having with this machine and it sent me so over the edge I bitch slapped my keyboard to the point the space bar is totally defective.
Given the lack of a magazine rack in the vicinity, did you use your keyboard to hit your monitor to the floor?

Xavien

epmode said:
It seems to only work with Direct3D games, so maybe that's it? Try the command in a Valve game.

I tried Valves very own Half Life 2 and it still refused to work.

What am i doing wrong?

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
Given the lack of a magazine rack in the vicinity, did you use your keyboard to hit your monitor to the floor?

Just bitch slapped it against the desk.

It's just aggravating to no end how much going around in circles I've been doing the last week. Finally think most things are halfway decent (other than needing to take out my video card and apply some decent thermal paste to see if that stops the insane temps... otherwise order a new fan that will just add to the cost of this stopgap card) and then I get more non-sense to try and diagnose.

EDIT: Currently waiting to do a DVD backup of my files and then I'm gonna nuke Steam and try it again.

1-D_FTW said:
Son of a gun. After a number of issues I reinstalled Windows on Sunday (just built a new CPU). Trackmania and Steam and everything worked fine.

Downloaded the beta this morning of Steam. Then for the first time since Sunday, I go to login in Steam to actually play something and I get a big update. And crash ahoy. Crash after freaking crash.

I can't even login in to Trackmania cause it tells me I'm not connected to the internet. This is on the rare occasion I get that far through the menus before it crashes.

If this computer doesn't quit pissing me off soon, I'm gonna sell the gaming components, get a cheap ATI HT card, and just go back to consoles.

Anyone else having issues with this afternoon update?

try seeing if your pc uses DEP, The Stealth Fox might be able to help you his steam was acting all goofy with the beta untill he turned it off.

Several OSs have no-execute or execute protection. Microsoft has added this as well in SP2 with data execution prevention (DEP). This precents code execution in memory regions already marked as storage. This is a powerful tool against buffer overrun exploits.

If a program is failing and you want to disable DEP to see if that is the cause. Here are the steps. (Just disable DEP for the program in question... don't disable it for your whole system.)

1. Click Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select System
4. Click the Advanced tab
5. In the Performance region select Settings
6. Click the Data Execute tab in the dialog box that opens
7. Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select
8. Click Add.
9. The open dialog box will open. Browse and select your application.
10. Click Open
11. Click Apply
12. Click Ok
13. Reboot

fallout said:
Heh, I think it's been rectified.

Strange though, that was at 11 my time, which was 6 hours ago.

POTW is set by admins only. I set you POTW in the beginning just to test it, so obviously i removed it after a while :p

fallout

Metalmurphy said:
POTW is set by admins only. I set you POTW in the beginning just to test it, so obviously i removed it after a while :p
Yeah, I know what it is (though, thanks for explaining it to others). Just saying that the time between the change and the time before it became visible was questionable, at least from where Akia stood.

Still, it'd be kind of nice if it said who was POTW. :(

1-D_FTW

ZombieSupaStar said:
try seeing if your pc uses DEP, The Stealth Fox might be able to help you his steam was acting all goofy with the beta untill he turned it off.

Unfortunately it didn't do squat.

What blows my mind is there's no effing place to log in. It's just create an account. Type in your info. Denied.

I think I actually know what I originally typed my account as. But I can't just log in. I have to create a new account. It's like they never accounted for the fact people would occasionally clean install their OS and have to log into an existing account they already created. I guess I'll have to e-mail and be at the mercy of the DL gods.

It's looking like a lousy bang for the buck. 2 hours of tedious beginner tracks and full access of features denied.

EDIT: Wrote out a long e-mail explaining the situation and literally as I was going to hit the send button, my foot kicked the power button (I've got my computer unassembled and lying by me feet) and Windows shut down on me. I couldn't believe what a bitch Murphy was being today... and I then I realized Thunderbird auto-saves every 5 minutes and saved the entire thing (except the last sentence). Hopefully that's a good omen that my luck is changing just a little.

The Stealth Fox

Have you tried removing the beta and seeing if everything works? Just opt out of the beta in the same way you opted in (it will uninstall the beta components) and see if your games work.

1-D_FTW

The Stealth Fox said:
Have you tried removing the beta and seeing if everything works? Just opt out of the beta in the same way you opted in (it will uninstall the beta components) and see if your games work.

Yeah. I unistalled everything and am just running regular Steam at the moment.

firex

Oh yeah, I forgot I've had Steam auto-login for like, 3 years now, so I definitely had forgotten my password. If you're having trouble remembering your account name/password or need it all reset, the way you do it is in Steam, go to File -> Change user and it'll restart Steam, but ask you to input an account name and pw. Then you just click the lost account/password button depending upon which one you need, and get a confirmation code + your secret question (not the answer, though) to reset your pw. You have to paste the code AND answer your secret question, then you can go change your password.

I believe the lost account thing just lets you put in an email address to match up with their db. I know that's not really the crashing problem you were having, but if you need your info in order to log in to the steamcommunity.com webpage, there you go.

MutFox

Banned
The M.O.B said:
I propose Friday Night Counter Strike. EVERY Friday night.!!!!!

sound good?

How about any day Sunday to Thursday?
Fridays + Saturdays are "go out nights" for me. :/
Make Fridays and Staurdays less popular games nights. :D

We need a DoD: S day too.. WE NEED IT! THIS GAME NEEDS LOVIN!!

saelz8

SNUG REVOL said:
No Red Orchestra love? :(
I don't think enough people play it on GAF. CS:S and CS 1.6 (More people can probably play 1.6) seems to be the most widespread and available, so it shouldn't ever be a problem to get some games going. There is always someone in the chatroom asking when we're going to play.

I'd say make one day of the week a default CS day, while having some other days of the week "GAF Chat Meets" where we can gather together at a certain time in the chatroom and choose something to play. (Try out Mods like Insect Infestation, play DOD:S, UT2K4, play obscure MP games, etc).

I'd be down for UT2K4 or DOD:S next though!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Holy shit, that event pop-up is a bliss!! It will sure make the online gaming reunion easier.

Top Bottom