• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Miguel81

do i need all of that for it?

it's like 65usd (with argietax), so still pretty lame

Apparently, you can also use LEDs as a substitute for the bar. I've never tried that method. PC gear is pretty rad in how you can get things to work. A bluetooth receiver with bluesoleil software was what I used for the Wiimote with Other M.

Dr Dogg

Over here you can pick up a 'Wireless' sensor bar (in other words a battery powered piece of plastic with a couple of infrared led's in either end) for 99p in the various offshoots of Poundland, Poundstrecher, 99p Stores etc.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Apparently, you can also use LEDs as a substitute for the bar. I've never tried that method. PC gear is pretty rad in how you can get things to work. A bluetooth receiver with bluesoleil software was what I used for the Wiimote with Other M.

It is a very rudimentary detection system. One could use two candles in lieu of a bar, irrc.

hmmm ... looks like Shadownet and Ozium got banned

Aww, I never got to see the Deags at Dawn battle!

Hope it is a short slap on the wrist for all the drama turnout and nothing longer.

oipic

Weird, I wonder what for? Both of them look like they haven't really posted anywhere but the Steam thread recently, and I don't see anything in here that would get them banned.

Maybe just a short enforced break to cool off? The episode earlier was a bit unfortunate, and it's a shame it wasn't sorted out via PMs instead.

Tizoc

The redesigned version of Higurashi When They Cry (ch. 1) has a store page.

Still looks hideous.

The inconsistency in the character designs is...ludicrous
ss_1c5abedbdab1678bb2cf47e256dd3640039e70b6.jpg

ss_bf94f9ee3c891f45477a75b7f685bc84e6466e68.jpg
So the older animu girls get, the smaller their eyes become?

Overall art for the girls is good though IMO.
One for Milamber though

zkylon

zkylewd
ban's a month and a half edit: never mind that, fucking cunt shadownet can't read. ban's only a month

pretty harsh if you ask me

i do love me some drama but people should learn to stop when they're winning

hmmm ... looks like Shadownet and Ozium got banned
lol i told them not to get banned

silly dumbos

hmm well the prices he's telling me about are not too different from the ones i have here so i'll just pass

i'll just borrow the things from a friend

Over here you can pick up a 'Wireless' sensor bar (in other words a battery powered piece of plastic with a couple of infrared led's in either end) for 99p in the various offshoots of Poundland, Poundstrecher, 99p Stores etc.
yeah my friend just told me he'll borrow me a homemade led bar thingie he built and nunchuk+wiimote

pretty nice

The sensor bar is literally just a few LED lights so that's why. I've even managed to get it working using candles instead of LEDs.

Arthea

Over the last 2 weeks for some bizarre reason my junk listings of backgrounds and emotes have slowly but surely been selling on the market. I had about 130 odd listings around mid November and I'm now at 96. No idea why now as they have all been 3p. So unless some peeps are buying them for christmas pressies or the hope of doing something with them in the next sale I have no idea. Sorry in advance is someone gets you a crappy background or emote for Christmas.

It might have something to do with rumoured scrapping items for booster packs, because if it's true, those items aren't useless anymore.

edited:
Why is Higurashi episodical? That makes no sense, it's a Finnish game, or am I missing something?

tmarg

ban's a month and a half edit: never mind that, fucking cunt shadownet can't read. ban's only a month

pretty harsh if you ask me

i do love me some drama but people should learn to stop when they're winning

lol i told them not to get banned

silly dumbos

If I'm not mistaken, they got banned for the same stuff during the summer, so I could see the mods getting harsher if they can't manage to behave themselves.

dex3108

Eh for me it's hardly anything to get self righteous or mad about (not saying you are but a quick trip to various message boards some folks certainly are). I mean I've got countless other games to play, the majority of my playtime this year has been late ports and asides from the first 2 GTA has set a precedent of being 5-9 months behind on PC as it is. Couple that with delays to the initial launch date, problems with the Online component, stuff still missing from it as well, current gen versions getting announced meaning shipping 5 SKU's in a short time period (and possibly one of the reasons for the earlier delay of last gen). It might seem like they're stretching the releases out to get folks to double or triple dip and yeah with only announcing and releasing one batch and then neither confirm or deny current gen or PC versions are being worked on might add credence to that but it's been painfully obvious that a PC version was on the cards and in the works. Plus if the extra time in the oven means Rockstar can finally release a GTA game on PC that isn't littered with bugs and performance issues for current hardware then it's definitely been worth the wait.

Nah R* is big enough company to release game on multiple platforms at once. And it is not only GTA V anymore. Removing songs and updating San Andreas for worse, removing songs from Vice city was handled better but new updates are raising concern that they will remove songs even for old sub, when GFWL ending was announced R* stayed silent for GTA IV etc. They really don't care about PC that much and it is sad that other companies are bashed when they delay PC version for week or month and yet when R* delays game for 1+ year nobody cares.

Dr Dogg

It might have something to do with rumoured scrapping items for booster packs, because if it's true, those items aren't useless anymore.

Well I'm getting 1p per item so it all depends on how many items you need to craft to make a booster and how much that booster could then sell for. Let's say it take 20 items or less which then spits out a boost you can market for 25p and get back 21p (I think that's about right) so you'd be up 1p in that instance and a lesser amount of items. Now if it was over 20 then you could be losing out in that hypothetical. As the wonky proverb goes 'look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves' which is kind of true as my wallet balance is getting topped up.

Nah R* is big enough company to release game on multiple platforms at once. And it is not only GTA V anymore. Removing songs and updating San Andreas for worse, removing songs from Vice city was handled better but new updates are raising concern that they will remove songs even for old sub, when GFWL ending was announced R* stayed silent for GTA IV etc. They really don't care about PC that much and it is sad that other companies are bashed when they delay PC version for week or month and yet when R* delays game for 1+ year nobody cares.

Oh come on games are not set to one size of scope and a GTA is fucking masses and masses more work than what other open world games are let alone something like a corridor shooter. It's not our place to dictate how big a company they are and how many platforms they release on that's for their parent and investors to decide. And let's be honest PC has not been their priority since GTA 2 so it's not like this is some recent betrayal.

Omega

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, they got banned for the same stuff during the summer, so I could see the mods getting harsher if they can't manage to behave themselves.

Shadow's ban was for something completely different. It wasn't even related to steamgaf

Lain

The inconsistency in the character designs is...ludicrous
ss_1c5abedbdab1678bb2cf47e256dd3640039e70b6.jpg

ss_bf94f9ee3c891f45477a75b7f685bc84e6466e68.jpg

So the older animu girls get, the smaller their eyes become?

Overall art for the girls is good though IMO.
One for Milamber though

I wouldn't call it inconsistency. The little girls have
to look all cute and innocent for the twists to work out like they should, and those big eyes do that

zkylon

zkylewd
what's the difference between metroidvanias and igavanias?

i'm trying to not sound foolish in a conversation

yeah, that's understandable

like i said before, i would make a terrible lawyer and a terrible moderator

for reference, this is what the original version looked like
oh wow that's a big leap

tmarg

what's the difference between metroidvanias and igavanias?

i'm trying to not sound foolish in a conversation

yeah, that's understandable

like i said before, i would make a terrible lawyer and a terrible moderator

oh wow that's a big leap

igavanias specifically refers to the castlevanias that iga made. (SotN, and then a bunch on GBA and DS).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Well they keep a log of the circumstances for which they were banned and it's weighed against future bans if it's repeated behavior.

Posting original Higurashi/Umineko artwork should be a banable offense.

I'll stab you! I understand Higurashi but Umineko is more than serviceable plus the PS3 sprites are really bland in expression.

Arthea

I hope Steins Gate follows Higurashi's example and get on steam finally, so we can have one of the best VNs ever,
preferably with cards, backgrounds, cheevos and all that sweet stuff

I also wonder what are our chances of getting mobile 999 ported to steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
igavanias specifically refers to the castlevanias that iga made. (SotN, and then a bunch on GBA and DS).
thanks!

I hope Steins Gate follows Higurashi's example and get on steam finally, so we can have one of the best VNs ever,

I also wonder what are our chances of getting mobile 999 ported to steam.
999 would be so nice

Knurek

No chance, Jast tweeted that the Japanese IP holders don't want to see the game on steam

Arthea

Posting original Higurashi/Umineko artwork should be a banable offense.

isn't that more of historical thing than really bad art, I mean, it is bad, but I seem to remember that there was such style going around some time ago, like really long ago.

No chance, Jast tweeted that the Japanese folk don't want to see the game on steam

wait what? You kidding? or are you referring to agreement that was mentioned some time ago. I thought it can be changed with time.

Higher chance it's on mobile first.

not sure I understand what you mean, it is on mobile, that's why I think we might get it ported on steam, because I don't see us getting it in any other way.

Dr Dogg

So what was the really super important Origin news that we all had to be there or be square? Looks like a Massive Action Sale with just a few more bits and bobs from their Black Friday sale. Oh and you can buy The Witcher III on Origin now.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
wait what? You kidding? or are you referring to agreement that was mentioned some time ago. I thought it can be changed with time.

Well they said their current contract with the original pubs didn't allow it so we'd have to wait for it to expire to see what will happen in the future.

Also I notice is that the new Higurashi sprites clash with the filtered BGs way more than the old ones because of how they're colored. I'm wondering why they didn't redraw those?

Uzzy

So what was the really super important Origin news that we all had to be there or be square? Looks like a Massive Action Sale with just a few more bits and bobs from their Black Friday sale. Oh and you can buy The Witcher III on Origin now.

Just them cheapening their intellectual property via sales.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

Durante

Well they said their current contract with the original pubs didn't allow it so we'd have to wait for it to expire to see what will happen in the future.

Also I notice is that the new Higurashi sprites clash with the filtered BGs way more than the old ones because of how they're colored. I'm wondering why they didn't redraw those?
I don't really see that. The original BGs were clashing with the character art just as much. Maybe it's more obvious now because you're not being distracted by the fascinatingly terrible character art ;)

Top Bottom