• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Dr Dogg

I liked BioWare's portrait system and how it evolved over time. Sure was a bit comical in BG but by KotOR it was pretty much your default character selector and finally in Dragon Age: Origins you could get your MC to gurn like a nutter!

Just them cheapening their intellectual property via sales.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx124/ohkimosabe/GIFS/tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

You may laugh but I've really come around to Origin's way of downloading updates. It will always deliver a patched up to date copy, DLC is instanced separately and can be cancelled or installed more gracefully than Steam, it actually asks you if you want to update the the latest version by default or you can set it to auto update on a per game basis or client wide. Plus they got chatrooms you can set up on the fly so you can invite all your offline friends who bailed after BF4/TitanFall/PvZ GW had their 15 mins of fame. And achievements have a jingle!

I don't understand some most of the Japanese devs mentality.

I wrote some post about this before, but its because... japanese dont think globally. At least that was my experience when I dealt with buying the rights of anime. They dictate eveything, they tell you what they think is right (even though if it would be a totally wrong approach in the west), if you dont accept it, they laugh at you and such things.
Totally backwards.
Other anime publishers said the same, as well as manga publishers. Tokyopop in Germany stopped at least doing DVDs because of the shitty policies when dealing with japanese publishers...

Didnt JAST also tweet something like its hard working with them?

zkylon

zkylewd
You may laugh but I've really come around to Origin's way of downloading updates. It will always deliver a patched up to date copy, DLC is instanced separately and can be cancelled or installed more gracefully than Steam, it actually asks you if you want to update the the latest version by default or you can set it to auto update on a per game basis or client wide. Plus they got chatrooms you can set up on the fly so you can invite all your offline friends who bailed after BF4/TitanFall/PvZ GW had their 15 mins of fame. And achievements have a jingle!

origin actually has it's nice things, what with refunds and everything

it's uplay that's hilariously bad lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wrote some post about this before, but its because... japanese dont think globally. At least that was my experience when I dealt with buying the rights of anime. They dictate eveything, they tell you what they think is right (even though if it would be a totally wrong approach in the west), if you dont accept it, they laugh at you and such things.
Totally backwards.
Other anime publishers said the same, as well as manga publishers. Tokyopop in Germany stopped at least doing DVDs because of the shitty policies when dealing with japanese publishers...

Didnt JAST also tweet something like its hard working with them?
Well when I spoke to the an employee at AX about everything it seemed like they were already being a pain in the ass about what they were releasing already.

All this inherent distrust in foreign publishers all leads back to Harmony Gold.

I really dont get it. In 2005/2006 the japanese wanted to get the covers for the DVD with post. Fucking post. Then it takes like 1 month to get an answer "That cover is okay" or "That cover is not okay, redo it".
That was so backwards.
It was really a pain in the ass dealing with anime publishers at that time.

"You want that extra feature on DVD we had on the japanese DVDs? Lol no!"
"If you want to buy this good selling series, you can only buy it, if you also buy the shit nobody in Japan wanted."
"You should write the names how we tell you! You arent allowed to use the japanese names for attacks!"

Well when I spoke to the an employee at AX about everything it seemed like they were already being a pain in the ass about what they were releasing already.

Its really great to talk to publishers during conventions. You really get to know how shitty Japan is at these things.

Arthea

I really dont get it. In 2005/2006 the japanese wanted to get the covers for the DVD with post. Fucking post. Then it takes like 1 month to get an answer "That cover is okay" or "That cover is not okay, redo it".
That was so backwards.

"If you want to buy this good selling series, you can only buy it, if you also buy the shit nobody in Japan wanted."
"You should write the names how we tell you! You arent allowed to use the japanese names for attacks!"

what I don't get is why? Aren't anime and games still business and you want to make money and you compromise if you want to expand to other markets and things like that?
What are reasons behind this?

edited: like I mean when Japanese games began to be ported for west, they were doing even too much adjustment at times, not really necessary, as making games easier, changing names, translating lyrics and all that stuff, even changing story and characters sometimes. What's changed? Why they don't want to release globally anymore, or so it would seem?

Dr Dogg

origin actually has it's nice things, what with refunds and everything

it's uplay that's hilariously bad lol

Well Uplay's last feature update, openid login with your Steam account, is flipping pointless for me on their newer titles since they're still not available on Steam. At this rate it's more vanity project than competitive service.

what are you saying, uplay has those awesome avatars

I don't have an avatar. I've just got a silhouette of a Rabbid or what ever those annoying things are.

what I don't get is why? Aren't anime and games still business and you want to make money and you compromise if you want to expand to other markets and things like that?

We never knew. We always assumed the only reason is because they are arrogant about their properties...
We really didnt know, why they act like that. The company I worked for also bought the rights for some asian movies, even japanese, and never had problems with those publishers.

To be fair, this is the core business model of the entire American cable industry.

Yeah. I can guess. But if you usually buy the rights of a movie, you buy the rights for this one movie. Nothing more. No need to buy some shitty other movie.

What I wanted to say with this is: If you are wondering why some publishers release the worst of anime, thats the reason ;)

Milamber

I really, really, really believe that it is just to general incompetency and standard old school Japanese business practices.

EDIT: And a hint of racism.

Dr Dogg

Holy shit FM2015 comes with a physical manual, remember those? Granted it's only 17 pages of info and barely gets near the surface let alone touch it but it's so weird to see these days. I want stuff like this back...
2382080-20111218193613.jpg

ViviOggi

I don't really see that. The original BGs were clashing with the character art just as much. Maybe it's more obvious now because you're not being distracted by the fascinatingly terrible character art ;)
Seriously. The backgrounds could be a gray to orange gradient for all I care as long as I don't have to see the insultingly bad old character art anymore.

Anyway, is the VN worth getting if I've watched the anime? The two seasons and that pool OVA episode I desperately wish I could forget

Durante

That was so backwards.

I have heard stuff like this a lot and I still can't quite believe it.

Maybe I should just stop consuming any Japanese media, in the end it doesn't seem worth it for anyone :p

Uzzy

Holy shit FM2015 comes with a physical manual, remember those? Granted it's only 17 pages of info and barely gets near the surface let alone touch it but it's so weird to see these days. I want stuff like this back...

Oh yeah, those were the days. You could practically run some AD&D 2nd Edition using the tables in the back of that book.

I have heard stuff like this a lot and I still can't quite believe it.

It is really sad. It just feels like its such a chore to deal with japanese business partners. If you work with business partners from Korea, China, America, India, both parties try to reach an agreement, that benefits both.
When we dealt with anime-publishers (we were also interested in Haruhi, Bleach and some other titles) it was always the Japanese trying to stand on top with us either accepting it or not buying the rights of the series.

If you know the Inuyasha Fansubproject in Germany, where we did the subtitles for Rumiko Takahashi shows, you might heard of me.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

HERO OF THE KINGDOM -- MB-06C99E43E1B87938 - Taken by Pranay_
HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE -- MB-AF611653BFC0679B

Tizoc

welcome to the club, I'm still trying understand Konami back of 90-ies, still don't, to this day (><)
not even trying with modern devs/pubs anymore

Man I miss Konami, for all their faults back in the 80s, 90s and prePS3 era if any, they had the best games.

Didn't see it mentioned: Dokuro's store page is up, comes out on the 8th of Dec.

Get this if you like puzzle games, hope it sells well =D

Who knows maybe next year Dragon's Crown my grace the Gaben Realm.

Anteater

udon'tsay

I was thinking just other day, what Ubi could do to improve their service and perception of it, and I got massive headache, maybe that's why they aren't doing much? (><)

Yeah I think Origin and Uplay are mostly nothing but EA/Ubisoft game launchers and don't really have other benefits, people who want their games will use their services and that's pretty much it, so I'm not sure what they can do, and I don't think they are going to try.

I don't have an avatar. I've just got a silhouette of a Rabbid or what ever those annoying things are.

You should get one.

All the cool kids have one.

I actually regret making one, I don't know how to get rid of it and i'm too lazy to figure it out, probably awkward since my friend sometimes log into it.

Dr Dogg

Oh yeah, those were the days. You could practically run some AD&D 2nd Edition using the tables in the back of that book.

Well the CRPG resurgence hopefully will bring some form of manuals back. The manual for Divinity Original Sin is full colour and about 50 pages and hopefully Pillars of Eternity's Collectors Book is up to snuff. Although I have no idea what the other book I preordered the other day was. Digital is great and all for the vast majority of your library, especially the one and done type of game but sometimes you want something a little tangible for the special ones.

You should get one.

All the cool kids have one.

I actually regret making one, I don't know how to get rid of it and i'm too lazy to figure it out, probably awkward since my friend sometimes log into it.

Well I could spent my Uplay Credits to get an Aiden Pearce avatar. I can be iconic then!

Tizoc

With rumors of a 2nd JoJo fighting game being in the works, I'm hoping that would make it to Steam eventually if not ASB1. Then we'd have Bamco's trifecta of licensed games:
Naruto, DB and JoJo

...and for the uninitiated in JoJo, here's a quick guide

With rumors of a 2nd JoJo fighting game being in the works, I'm hoping that would make it to Steam too. Then we'd have Bamco's trifecta of licensed games:
Naruto, DB and JoJo

...and for the uninitiated in JoJo, here's a quick guide
hFeUhK2.jpg

But the Jojo PS3 game is already... bad.

I mean Naruto is okay, the fightingsystem is easy, characters are totally unbalanced, but besides the fights the game has a nice storymode with sidequests and such things.
But Jojo... just consists of the typical CC2 fighting mode, totally easy, not really competitive, the roster is totally unbalanced, where you have overpowered characters and characters that cant do shit.

Durante

Seriously. The backgrounds could be a gray to orange gradient for all I care as long as I don't have to see the insultingly bad old character art anymore.

Anyway, is the VN worth getting if I've watched the anime? The two seasons and that pool OVA episode I desperately wish I could forget
The VN is much better than the anime. But I don't know how it holds up after the anime already spoiled major plot points for you.

Bluth54

I wish this thread wasn't in Community, the only other Community thread I look at is the Team Fortress 2 one which isn't super active so I forget about this thread all the time.

Arthea

Inspite of how much at times SE baffles and annoys me, I have to give them credit, for having presence in the west and on PC and understanding how steam works, or at least trying.
That leads me to my main concern, when they are done with their beloved Lightning (in spring), maybe we at last will get FF5-6 ports? That would be nice, no?

Well I could spent my Uplay Credits to get an Aiden Pearce avatar. I can be iconic then!

Actually, could you kindly explain me what are uplay credits are good for? Can you get free games for example?
Not that I have a lot, but never really looked into it either.

Actually, could you kindly explain me what are uplay credits are good for? Can you get free games for example?

You can unlock DLC for some games. Though the DLC you usually unlock are just 5 minute missions. You can also unlock some cool things like the AC:Unity soundtrack if you have AC:U.

Its like an achievement-system, where you earn uPlay points and can spend those on small DLC for the games you own.

tmarg

I've only really played Rayman Legends on Uplay, but from what I've seen, its just useless crap like wallpapers. Or occasionally it can be exchanged for in game currency or whatever.

KtSlime

Well they said their current contract with the original pubs didn't allow it so we'd have to wait for it to expire to see what will happen in the future.

Also I notice is that the new Higurashi sprites clash with the filtered BGs way more than the old ones because of how they're colored. I'm wondering why they didn't redraw those?

I may be mistaken, but I always assumed they were filtered photos, and not drawings.

Uzzy

Well the CRPG resurgence hopefully will bring some form of manuals back. The manual for Divinity Original Sin is full colour and about 50 pages and hopefully Pillars of Eternity's Collectors Book is up to snuff. Although I have no idea what the other book I preordered the other day was. Digital is great and all for the vast majority of your library, especially the one and done type of game but sometimes you want something a little tangible for the special ones.

Yeah, totally agree. Having a good book up there on the shelf is always nice, especially for the special games. That's why I'm hoping to pick up the Valkyria Chronicles art book, for example. Hopefully we'll see more physical books and manuals from the CRPG resurgence.

ViviOggi

The VN is much better than the anime. But I don't know how it holds up after the anime already spoiled major plot points for you.

I don't usually mind "twist spoilers" too much so if the VN adds quality flavor to the narrative that's good enough for me.

Anteater

Got me to look after dr. dogg mentioned it, there are usually some rewards that you can unlock with each game, for far cry 3 there are single player/coop dlc missions, and splinter cell blacklist you get some costumes and money. You can get wallpapers and junk too.

Haven't looked at the avatar items, maybe now it's the chance to change my avatar.

Top Bottom