• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

In that case, maybe you should make use of your maturity and choose not to vote at all?

There's a history behind GT's alias, and the same goes for the other players I imagine.

That's no fun, but I would love to hear the rousing historical story behind a name like GeT_RiGhT.

zkylon

zkylewd
Right that's my grumpy rant for the morning out the way :p
i'm not sure i see a problem with it tho

i think it's unfair to expect from most people to be interested in the nitty gritty parts of game design or programming or engine building or any of that crap. it's understandable that things such as "rendering pipelines" are never gonna be exciting for the majority of people. most people don't really care about cinematographers or screenwriters or film editors. they don't care about composition or cuts or any of that. i think it would be nice if people were interested in that but they have other things that they're interested, so imo it's pretty ok. some people enjoy watching the extras on the dvds or some director's interview on tv but that's about it. same's true for videogames i'd say.

and most people watch the oscars, not sundance or cannes or whatever.

i find that's important because the vgas never pretended to be anything more than three hours of publisher funded advertising. it's kinda gross, but i like watching trailers and reveals and i find that exciting. i know i'm not gonna find anything mindopening like i would on a jonathan blow talk but it's not really what i'm looking, and since i know what i'm watching the vgas for, i don't really have a problem with it

Well said.

And really, this stuff is why I think general consumers and majority of gamers are, to an extent, idiots.

And it's because they kind of are.
But apparently saying that means I'm a d
err
ick

I'm just getting tired of all this masturbatory idiocy, it's deeply rooted within the industry and I don't really see it disappearing anytime soon, if at all.

Atleast we weren't getting DoritosDew shoved down our throats this year.
well it's a very dickish thing to say

people aren't idiots for liking shit you don't like

believe it or not most people in the world don't give a shit about gaming. out of the people that do, most people only play facebook and tablet games. after that, most people play android/ios games. so out of the few that actually bothered to buy consoles, most of them don't care enough to spend all day in neogaf learning about which games are cool to like and which games are for idiots. they play the games that sound cool for them, that have dragons and guns and sports and all that shit. a lot of them also play mario.

all of these people aren't idiots. they just don't care about your hobby as much as you do

instead of blaming them for being "uninformed", blame publishers and developers and the press for not informing them and for preying on people's excitement to make a profit

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
*long rant*

Haha, oh well, maybe it's not for you then. If you're approaching these systems filled to the brim with prejudice, you're not going to have a good time with them, just saying.

Or maybe your soul is possessed by SATAN???! :O

Pranay

DA : I was a great adventure and easily the most fun I had this year.

I am glad it won game of the year. It was great imo

Tizoc

Alright guys and gals...and Milamber, with GAF posed to rash once PSX starts in 6 hours, I gotta know if there's an IRC chat page you guys are gonna use by then.

Milamber

Alright guys and gals...and Milamber, with GAF posed to rash once PSX starts in 6 hours, I gotta know if there's an IRC chat page you guys are gonna use by then.

Am I just a thing to you?

I usually haunt AnimeGAF IRC if GAF site is down.

But there is always the Steam GAF group chat.

Yup, the hype culture that has been fostered in games is quite something. I wonder what outside people watching this show would have said.

Nice post btw
A video game has a significantly shorter profit life span than a movie or CD album, that's why the hype culture exists, that's why everyone is so focused on sell thing their stuff.

Tizoc

Am I just a thing to you?

I usually haunt AnimeGAF IRC if GAF site is down.

But there is always the Steam GAF group chat.

No you're just my special bro <3
Mind linking to the steam GAF group chat though, pref. one that isn't the Steam chat since I'm at work :p

ViviOggi

A video game has a significantly shorter profit life span than a movie or CD album, that's why the hype culture exists, that's why everyone is so focused on sell thing their stuff.
Hm, I don't see why the medium would inherently work that differently from the other entertainment branches. Actually I'd say it's the other way around, hype culture constantly heavily promoting "the new thing" being the main reason for front-loaded sales and short life spans (in the AAA segment at least).

Jeff got robbed by TotalDipshit

DA : I was a great adventure and easily the most fun I had this year.

I am glad it won game of the year. It was great imo
Having played DA:O again earlier this year really hurts my perception toward DA:I. I don't really mind MMO filler quests, but the further into the main story, the shorter and less epic they became. A shame, it had so much potential :(

Hm, I don't see why the medium would inherently work that differently from the other entertainment branches. Actually I'd say it's the other way around, hype culture constantly heavily promoting "the new thing" being the main reason for front-loaded sales and short life spans (in the AAA segment at least).

Jeff got robbed by TotalDipshit
An artist can profit not only from CDs, but concerts, license fees from commercials, movies... merchandise, or appear in a commercial. Same thing with movie companies, theater screenings, DVD/BD sales, rental, license fees...

TB is great at what he does, haters be hating.

dex3108

Hm, I don't see why the medium would inherently work that differently from the other entertainment branches. Actually I'd say it's the other way around, hype culture constantly heavily promoting "the new thing" being the main reason for front-loaded sales and short life spans (in the AAA segment at least)

Mainly because movies and music can earn money in multiple ways. For movies you have initial earnings from cinemas, then DVD and BluRay add to that Netflix and other streaming services + money from TV stations. Music is a bit different you have albums + streaming and DD services + concerts.

Games have only one chance and that is it, or maybe two chances if we take into the count GOTY/Remasters.

Uzzy

The gaming industry is so backwards at times. Where you have 'main events' that are more geared trying to sell you shit either directly or indirectly than inform, inspire and enlighten. I think The Oscars are a load of self congratulatory wank but can you imagine if they stopped between every award, even cut some out to show you teaser and preview trailers of stuff coming out at a later date or tried to hock DVD sales rather than give out an awards for technical achievement. That shit would get call out and laughed out of town but just checking twitter and a few boards there's some scary reactions to last nights latest marketing push. Looking at the list of winners and the guests involved it sounds more akin to something MTV would put out, I'm surprised there wasn't an award for best kiss (Ass Creed Unity might have one something then).

How on earth can you honestly think about awarding something a prize that only came out 3 weeks ago? I've barely started Dragon Age: Inquisition but I would think if I had finished it by now for the purpose of fairness I want the dust to set to collect my thoughts for a good two months, at least to look back over every release I had played this calendar year to consider everything and not what was fresh in the mind. It might even be a worthy winner but when you have nominations announced so soon and before the year is even out it sound like selection by dart board.

BAFTA have been acknowledging achievement in gaming since 1998 and the Game Developers Choice Awards have been around since 2001 but neither get's a tenth of the attention of what the VGA's do mainly because it's been know to show new stuff. Sure the BAFTA Game Awards and Game Developers Choice Awards might not be perfect and still have sponsorship deals and such but they are a far cry from the VGA's. For a start they are peer awards, they are much more considered and debated. Though come March next year next to no one will care that much, least not here, unless their favourite game picks something up. There won't be discussions spanning nigh on 300 pages about why who won what or did x game raise the bar over last years award winner in that category. Coupled that with most if not all the amazing talks and presentations from GDC itself will have little to no interest despite really giving a great insight into the creation, design, technique, engineering, craft, and narrative building changes and improvements the industry is continuing to make progress in year on year.

Most folks would rather see a platform holder presser than listen to Tim Sweeney talk about UE4, watch the media circle jerk interviews with CEO's and Senior Producers teasing their game and not being pressed for answers than see Warren Spector and Doug Church tear apart Deus Ex, watch an 'exclusive' target render or vertical slice of the next big thing from 9,000 Ubisoft employees than have American McGee talk about the challenges of global development on Alice: Madness Returns, some world rather listen to a bunch of suits talk about brands and forecast than John Carmack fluently and organically speak his mind about the industry and development today.

I'm not saying the cycle of promotion should die in the corner or that you shouldn't get excited for new shiny stuff but just have a thought for the unnamed and largely ignored 1,000's upon 1,000's who make this all happen in all manner of different way. Maybe I just have different interests than the majority but when you look at the sorry state of the games media and how shackled they are to the whole promotional circus it's not hard to see why.

Right that's my grumpy rant for the morning out the way :p

That's basically exactly what I was going to say this morning, only in a less elegant and equally grumpy way. The relentless pace of video game hype culture does get me rather down, as there never seems to be the proper time to stop and look back over games that have come out in the past year. Hell, even games that have come out in the past few weeks get cast aside so everyone can focus on the next big thing.

spares
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sinister City -- MB-7BB30422D980F0F7 - Taken by Tesseract
Grimind -- MB-8E66D0C72BE90BA5 - Taken by lindarasta
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-F96951B951174E68 - Taken by roadrunn3r
Metal Planet -- MB-79B9EDE5DB2F9948 - Taken by Pranay_

zkylon

zkylewd
Can you actually end the game having survived? Or is it just another "survive as long as you can but you're gonna die" games?
game released yesterday so i obviously haven't reached that point but i'm pretty sure that:

1) there are multiple endings depending on your decisions. i'm guessing you can live or survive or at least leave your mark in the world
2) i don't think the zombie disease gets cured so i'm not sure what triggers the ending, but it's likely to be a big event, like a military rescue or escaping the us government nuking texas or something like that

there's a definite story to the game, characters show up and give yo missions and it's generally a half directed affair. as in you get told what you should do, but you can do whatever you feel like doing

think it like x-com rather than don't starve, at one point you just gotta go kill the mothership or whatever, but you're free to do whatever you want in the meantime

I'll just sleep and pray I still have a roof when tomorrow comes. A typhoon (Hagupit) will pass over my location just in time that PSX drops so better be safe than be sorry. Can't get hyped when your electronics might get flooded.

Hopefully no power lines won't get affected much or I might miss that news for a few more days.

Tizoc

AKSYS pls
tumblr_nesiip01XD1s0fo0zo1_500.gif

tumblr_ndzoqk1Xp51sdouqio4_500.gif

tumblr_ndzoqk1Xp51sdouqio1_500.gif

All things considered, I would've liked if SF5 went for a colorful style like Xrd's. It's current style is OK, although when you think about, it makes it stand out from the other FGs available in Japan atm where their graphics are colorful and pop up like the Shining series' fighting game, Dengeki Bunko and Xrd to name a few.

Sarcasm

Anyways not to load those animated pictures on mobile? I have picture and GIF disabled but those show up whatever they are.

derExperte

Bloodborne looked more than cool to me. It looked good enough that I'm starting to regret my decision to come to SteamGAF last November and I'm starting to think I should've just gotten a PS4 instead.

Makes sense coming from someone with 2500 Steam games, who is almost buying as much new stuff as JaseC and has played Payday 50000hrs. Yep, you would definitely had so much more fun with this year's extensive PS4 library while waiting for that one game.

Ruruja

Awards Show was a billion times better than the VGX thing. Still ridiculously long and not worth staying up till 6am for. Hope it's at a more GMT-friendly time next year. They could cut the time down quite a bit by not having so many music pieces throughout the show. It also seemed a bit Nintendo lovey dovey. Not bad for a first attempt though, kudos to Geoff for trying.

Also I really liked the EVE Online video near the end, but once again, it looks far too daunting to get involved in that!

Pranay

Having played DA:O again earlier this year really hurts my perception toward DA:I. I don't really mind MMO filler quests, but the further into the main story, the shorter and less epic they became. A shame, it had so much potential :(

I really liked the side quests in the game apart from fetch ones (after a certain time). I was lucky enough to avoid bugs and didnt do that many side quests.

The main thing which DA I does best is that it really is a big game with lots of indepth lore, areas to explore which are great ands tons of dialoage. I also found the characters amazing (apart from cole) and story good enough.

While the combat could had been better and is not as good Divinity, the game as an overall package was amazing.

The mp is good as well.

Kinda like uncharted 2 winning Goty in 2009 (uncharted 2 was very polished and had no bugs), not the "best" in all departments but overall package being great

I really liked the side quests in the game apart from fetch ones (after a certain time). I was lucky enough to avoid bugs and didnt do that many side quests.

The main thing which DA I does best is that it really is a big game with lots of indepth lore, areas to explore which are great ands tons of dialoage. I also found the characters amazing (apart from cole) and story good enough.

While the combat could had been better and is not as good Divinity, the game as an overall package was amazing.

The mp is good as well.

Kinda like uncharted 2 winning Goty in 2009 (uncharted 2 was very polished and had no bugs), not the "best" in all departments but overall package being great
Yeah, the worlds are so beautiful to behold, it's almost like the game is based entirely around DA2's backlash. Having proper expectation is always good, that's why I kept being my problem up so the newcomers would be prepared.

Maniac

Banned
An artist can profit not only from CDs, but concerts, license fees from commercials, movies... merchandise, or appear in a commercial. Same thing with movie companies, theater screenings, DVD/BD sales, rental, license fees...

I concur. TB is pretty great... Buuuut games do have a great long-term profitability... Except for the case of AAA games, but that's their own fault. They've made their bet with annualised series' that most people wouldn't bother with buying if the new one is out already. A lot of the need of the whole hype-machine is of their own doing :/
Yeah, the worlds are so beautiful to behold, it's almost like the game is based entirely around DA2's backlash. Having proper expectation is always good, that's why I kept being my problem up so the newcomers would be prepared.

Kirkwall seems like the very best city ever created compared to the ones in DA:I though... -_-

Val whatsitcalled is just ridiculous. It's tiny AND there's a loading screen between the three different, tiny floors? >.<'

Pranay

Yeah I am glad the series is back on track and it has a foundation for the next DA.

Speaking of RPG, it seems CDPR are having a rough time with the downgrade. It seems their inexperience on consoles might hurt them a bit.

I think Witcher 3 on console still looks great and atleast the port is miles better from a PC developer then a japanese developer porting games on PC. So kudos to CDPR.

PC users shouldnt worry imo, they should fully trust CDPR that the PC graphics will be top notch.

I concur. TB is pretty great... Buuuut games do have a great long-term profitability... Except for the case of AAA games, but that's their own fault. They've made their bet with annualised series' that most people wouldn't bother with buying if the new one is out already. A lot of the need of the whole hype-machine is of their own doing :/

Kirkwall seems like the very best city ever created compared to the ones in DA:I though... -_-

Val whatsitcalled is just ridiculous. It's tiny AND there's a loading screen between the three different, tiny floors? >.<'
Some of them do, but most sales are from preorders and the first few months.

And I haven't played DA2, so I can't comment on that.

Tizoc

Behold your grim, gritty MGS5 story
tumblr_ng58qrAsEi1s6ub5do2_500.gif

DAT FUR!

tumblr_ng58qrAsEi1s6ub5do6_500.gif

tumblr_ng58qrAsEi1s6ub5do3_1280.gif

Who you tryin' to fool Kojima, this'll be as ridiculous as MGS4 :V
Won't mean it won't be fun to do random shit though~

I don't know why I keep playing Sonic Adventure, it's bad and I know how bad and broken it's but I can't just stop playing it. Finished Sonic arc now 5 more until I'm done with this game.

Kiru

I'm glad I didn't sleep yesterday to see that beautiful Zelda Wii U footage and Koji Kondo playing together with Imagine Dragons, nice finale. A bit sad that Bayonett 2 didn't win GOTY though. :(

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm glad I didn't sleep yesterday to see that beautiful Zelda Wii U footage and Koji Kondo playing together with Imagine Dragons, nice finale. A bit sad that Bayonett 2 didn't win GOTY though. :(

Yeah, Zelda looked fucking amazing.
Glad I bought a WiiU.

ViviOggi

Mainly because movies and music can earn money in multiple ways. For movies you have initial earnings from cinemas, then DVD and BluRay add to that Netflix and other streaming services + money from TV stations. Music is a bit different you have albums + streaming and DD services + concerts.

Games have only one chance and that is it, or maybe two chances if we take into the count GOTY/Remasters.
Now I see where you were coming, yeah that's definitely a big factor. Still the closest mediums to games, books and home cinema, seem to have a longer and healthier shelf life than retail AAA games (personal impression). With digital distribution this has started to change to some extent with services like PS+ and streaming bringing rental back and the heavy discounts mainly on PC extending the circle of potential customers by a large margin.

Well I did good by going to sleep last night. Only missed legend of Zelda and no mans sky. No mans sky continues to be a pretty looking game but still boring to me since I still haven't seen what you actually do in the game. LoZ looks neat tho, but it looks extremely empty.

Tizoc

So how come there's no talk of this game running on UE4 or at least it's page states as such
http://www.playism-games.com/games/fbue/

You could get it for $0.99 too.

For that matter I should replay Gunhound EX, I've forgotten if reloading is automatic once you run out of ammo or not @_@

I don't know why I keep playing Sonic Adventure, it's bad and I know how bad and broken it's but I can't just stop playing it. Finished Sonic arc now 5 more until I'm done with this game.

You would best ask that in the Sonic Community Thread, they might help you let go.

So how come there's no talk of this game running on UE4 or at least it's page states as such
http://www.playism-games.com/games/fbue/

You could get it for $0.99 too.

I dont get it.

"Fairy Bloom Ultra Encore is available through the Pay What You Want model, starting at $0.99. Edelweiss has decided to make the game and source code available for purchase as a package for just $9.99!"

So 99cents for the game and if I want the source code its 9,99$?

I personally think that the first Sonic Adventure is actually a good game. The only part I dislike is Big but it's so short that I don't even care. Knuckles sucks too but it's bearable, differently from SA2 .

What greatly helps is that each character has its own story so you don't have to stop your fun times with Sonic to hunt treasures or shoot some mechs.

It's a little rough around the edges but I can look past most of it because I have fun with it.

Maniac

Banned
So... I was cautiously optimistic about Dying Light for a while.

This one article changed my opinion. Now I'm very intrigued and interested.

The specific sentence that has me very interested in the game is this one:
"We don&#8217;t really know how long it&#8217;s going to take to release Oculus, and we release in January," he said. "But if they&#8217;re ready, we&#8217;re going to be ready."

Tizoc

I dont get it.

"Fairy Bloom Ultra Encore is available through the Pay What You Want model, starting at $0.99. Edelweiss has decided to make the game and source code available for purchase as a package for just $9.99!"

I'm guessing the source code would allow you to create your own stages for the game?

MUnited83

For you.
I dont get it.

That's exactly it!

Top Bottom