• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

The only thing I bought during the EA sale was Titanfall for $5. I would have pulled the trigger on a Sim City Complete Edition for 75% off, but I think its only been 50% off.
I got garden warfare. Was hoping that they'd put dragon age 2 on a bigger discount or bundle it up with origins complete for $10 like they often do(since I also don't own awakening) but no dice.

Kiru

header.jpg

After my recent addiction with Insurgency, I was gifted Verdun by Kiru, and have played it for a few hours.

It's from the semi-realistic sub-genre of shooter, and I can't help but compare it to Insurgency and Red Orchestra.

Pros:

WWI setting is novel, fresh.

Bolt-action rifles, bolt action rifles everywhere! I love bolt action rifles. I always gravitated towards them in all the multiplayer games I've played. My friends thought it was lame to pick them over l33t automatics, but here finally is my dream come true, a game based around bolt actions.

I love the fact that the gun sights intentionally never really line up if you try to aim standing up. Its a nice touch. You have to switch to a more stable stance or hold your breath temporarily.

The game engine is surprisingly modern. Loads fast, vast plains of trenches as far as the eye can see. Change a video setting and it immediately changes in-game with no reloads. A welcome change from insurgency's dated Source engine (although that game's implementation of it is fantastic, the best I've seen from any source-licensed game.)

Cons:

Its a beta and it shows. A lot of core concepts are not explained well and buried in steam guides, which a lot of people must have ignored, since they don't take advantage of it. The game awards leveling up and grants passive bonuses kind of like a RPG or RTS (increase melee range, increased breath hold for snipers etc) but to access the higher tier passives the best way to level up is to stay near your NCO (leader) and follow his instructions. Getting kills/caps near him multiplier the XP earned, and unlocked the higher tier bonuses/perks/passives quickly.

Tied to this lack of in-game direction, fights are usually aimless. Juggling back and forth between two trenches overlooking no man's land gets tiresome and feels pointless after a while. In a way its immersive, since it captures trench warfare in a nutshell, but it does make for some irritation in game as you are ordered to fall back from the nice trench you are camped in, or be executed, only to be shot in the back while retreating.

Has a CoD like level up meta-system. I hate these things. Just give me all the cool shit FFS, Insurgency does this right, nothing is locked away behind a grind.

Has only like a hundred people in each of the regional servers US, EU, AUS at one time.
Compared to the million users Insurgency has snagged due to the humble bundle.(they made a post about it.)

In short, cool game, borrows some concepts form RPGs/RTS about squad cohesion bonuses, shitty unlock system a la COD, plenty of fun maps, perfectly dreary WWI trench atmosphere, needs 6 months to a year to cook and be polished.

Nice short review. :)
I also don't like the personal level thingie and it's true that they shouldn't put all stuff that is important to fully understand the game in some guides in the community hub, the ingame tutorial is too short. I read that they are trying to switch the game to Unity5 beta to improve physics performance and boost graphics. I'm looking forward to that.

Turfster

There's a Humble Yogscast Jingle Jam going, 25$ to charity for:
  • Bridge Constructor
  • Magicka
  • Magicka Wizard Wars Unique Item
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Ace of Spades: Battle Builder
  • Thomas was Alone
  • Nights into dreams
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Montas (EA)
  • Stronghold Crusader HD
  • Miner Wars Arena (DRMfree)
  • Swords and Soliders HD
  • Awesomenauts Skins

Anteater

damn i can't find a hash code thing for lost planet with gedosato, either it disables the post processing or it makes the hud go crazy

Nice short review. :)
I also don't like the personal level thingie and it's true that they shouldn't put all stuff that is important to fully understand the game in some guides in the community hub, the ingame tutorial is too short. I read that they are trying to switch the game to Unity5 beta to improve physics performance and boost graphics. I'm looking forward to that.

Yes, I was maybe a bit harsher because I forgot it was early access (I just saw it after I had written the post to grab the image).

I guess I've gotten so used to shitty broken games being released that I kinda though this was the real release.

The last update alone added a TON of stuff. A few more updates like that one and it would be golden.

And lets be real, we're not spoiled for choice on the WWI front are we. Putting on a freaky ass gas mask and rushing into a mustard gassed trench only to bayonet some fool coughing his lungs out is a unique experience only this game can provide.

I'd recommend picking it up for its novelty value alone. The devs seem to be giving it their all as well, judging from the last update, so I'm hopeful it will blossom into a real contender for FPS funtimes. I jump in for a few rounds of FFA deathmatch from time to time because, again, I Looooove bolt-action rifles, and there are no goobers picking machine guns in FFA because B-A rifles are all you got. Love it. Also I laughed my ass off when I was playing as the French and used the Chauchat, widely considered to be the WORST gun ever made. It was pretty effective. Realism 1/10. Fix it Verdun, make it suck. :p

I hope they just fix the melee attacks, because they are just so damn unreliable.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's with the Miles' Tactics "DLC" for FM 2015 in the Sega Humble Bundle? The page says that it's DRM-free, so instead of a Steam key is it just a file that you install to your installation directory?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

What the fuck am I even reading and how the hell did you even find this?

I've always wanted to control "unnamed factors" in a video game.

He also has a solution for climate change. I love this dude, he is one step away from being the evil genius who will end up destroying the world...

A6GPwzO.gif

More waifus coming to PC apparantly:

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 rated for PC on the ESRB site:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33753&Title=Hyperdimension%20Neptunia%20Re%3BBirth%202&searchkeyword=

JyMkAGa.gif

GMG's are kind of weak, apart from the 75% off Murdered Soul Suspect

$5.99 is definitely the perfect price point for Murdered: Soul Suspect.

Lomax

What's with the Miles' Tactics "DLC" for FM 2015 in the Sega Humble Bundle? The page says that it's DRM-free, so instead of a Steam key is it just a file that you install to your installation directory?

Yep, there's no key, just a download.

MUnited83

For you.

It's basically a tactics save that you have to copy and paste on the tactics folder. I think.

Turfster

"An hour and 14 minutes to the full trailer for telltale's game of thrones!"
Because this is a thing now apparently.

The Samsung EVO 250GB got a further price drop from it's normal sale price of $109 to $99.99 on Amazon. It comes with a uplay copy of Far Cry 4 which can be worth $0-$60 depending on how much you love uplay and/or your ability to hawk the code off to someone. Pretty good deal if anyone is looking.

$5.99 is definitely the perfect price point for Murdered: Soul Suspect.

No... that's a steal. Game's worth $10 to play through, at least. This isn't some indie game.

There's a Humble Yogscast Jingle Jam going, 25$ to charity for:
  • Bridge Constructor
  • Magicka
  • Magicka Wizard Wars Unique Item
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Ace of Spades: Battle Builder
  • Thomas was Alone
  • Nights into dreams
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Montas (EA)
  • Stronghold Crusader HD
  • Miner Wars Arena (DRMfree)
  • Swords and Soliders HD
  • Awesomenauts Skins

Why would anyone buy a "YOGSCAST" anything, even if it's "for charity".
Eff that, just give the money to charity instead.

Dr Dogg

Wrapped up the campaign + the 3 dlc released so far. Scattered thoughts:

Thanks for the LEGO Batman 3 impressions. Great to hear that PC get's the full fat renderer this time (Marvel and The Hobbit did look like there were missing shaders and effects). Shame to hear the writing isn't up to LB2 standard but it is the series high and you're a tough fellow to please so there's that :p.

Also...

June can't come soon enough!

Turfster

Why would anyone buy a "YOGSCAST" anything, even if it's "for charity".
Eff that, just give the money to charity instead.

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of "Well, I want to give money to charity, but I'm just going to give it directly to the charities because fuck Yogscast and all they stand for" comments

ExoSoul

Banned
This may not be the best thread to ask this but I do believe it's getting a PC version as well;
Has anyone heard anything regarding No Man's Sky lately?

Edit: woot first post as a member, sorry for betraying you Robaperas but my hand was forced.
Time to open a stupid thread and get banned!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This may not be the best thread to ask this but I do believe it's getting a PC version as well;

They will probably only talk about the PS4 version till the game is out on the console. That's how marketing deals work.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thanks for the LEGO Batman 3 impressions. Great to hear that PC get's the full fat renderer this time (Marvel and The Hobbit did look like there were missing shaders and effects). Shame to hear the writing isn't up to LB2 standard but it is the series high and you're a tough fellow to please so there's that :p.

They allow you to select between DX11/9 in the options too, which makes the last couple Lego releases a bit puzzling for only including DX9 (though it was handy prior to DSR for downsampling).

Arthea

I don't know what YOGSCAST is, true story (><)
I only remember something about failed kickstarter and some ridiculous statement that they don't owe anything to supporters

Pachimari

Why am I always waiting till the last moment. Missed out on Remember Me, Revelaitons and Resident Evil 5 on GMG. I probably shouldn't wait any longer for Wolfenstein: TNO.

Milamber

I don't know what YOGSCAST is, true story (><)
I only remember something about failed kickstarter and some ridiculous statement that they don't owe anything to supporters

I listened to them once. It was like listening to male and female pewdiepies talking all at once.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 20 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Grimind -- MB-6EE40F1DAD93FEAC - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.
Dreamcast Collection -- MB-320A057E8BF53404 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 13 entrants total.
C Rush -- MB-742D35D839D1D8B2 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Enemy Mind -- MB-2B9A3CCA87623967 - Taken by Naked Snake. 5 entrants total.
Spy Fox in Dry Cereal -- MB-29F194D9E96C49D8 - Taken by Madridista. 1 entrants total.
Waves -- MB-1C6DAEFC26F0E956 - Taken by alr1ght. 7 entrants total.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-9300F2F1CA8A64F9 - Taken by ichtyander. 5 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-E13AC7951457B076 - Taken by xenoflux2113. 2 entrants total.
OMG Zombies! -- MB-F77C074534C9887F - Taken by Casimir. 4 entrants total.
Pajama Sam No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside -- MB-540D61BE4C034883 - Taken by Phawx. 3 entrants total.
The Moon Sliver -- MB-E064138E1AF9E468 - Taken by Kifimbo. 7 entrants total.
QbQbQb -- MB-23E1D6D86F04EC30 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 3 entrants total.
Time Ramesside -- MB-FCA32FE1664BA0E7 - Taken by trailmix16. 1 entrants total.
Steel & Steam -- MB-E25264BCC843ACED - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 3 entrants total.
Rhythm Destruction -- MB-42043F9823063350 - Taken by Haunted. 3 entrants total.
Wickland -- MB-316DD11B3251A5F2 - Taken by agniswarm. 3 entrants total.
NiGHTS Into Dreams -- MB-C559461735CA8E36 - Taken by fallout. 7 entrants total.
Freddi Fish and The Case of the Missing Sea Kelp -- MB-94DF4AC468ADCEA4 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Aces Wild Manic Brawling Action! -- MB-BDA8E6B9BF24F0D9 - Taken by almostheathen. 5 entrants total.
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-6E777445D5C33D97 - Taken by fernandes. 1 entrants total.

t1417467303z1.png

Arthea

you have to rub it in, haven't you?
I'm firm believer that we'll get it on PC, no one knows when, though and I wouldn't expect news any time soon too.

fernandes

I don't get all the hate for the Yogscast. You are still donating to charity and getting a bunch of cool games back.

Maniac

Banned

Last I heard from what little communication I've had with Sean (Murray, founder, project lead) they definitely intend to release on PC. And that was just mere days before they showed up at PS' show, so I'm confident we'll see it, but they'll just not be actively marketing it much I assume.
They will probably only talk about the PS4 version till the game is out on the console. That's how marketing deals work.

Sean is going to be at... TGA, I believe, with new footage / exclusive footage / blabla stuff, so more info next friday I suppose.

Kiru

Yes, I was maybe a bit harsher because I forgot it was early access (I just saw it after I had written the post to grab the image).

I guess I've gotten so used to shitty broken games being released that I kinda though this was the real release.

The last update alone added a TON of stuff. A few more updates like that one and it would be golden.

And lets be real, we're not spoiled for choice on the WWI front are we. Putting on a freaky ass gas mask and rushing into a mustard gassed trench only to bayonet some fool coughing his lungs out is a unique experience only this game can provide.

I'd recommend picking it up for its novelty value alone. The devs seem to be giving it their all as well, judging from the last update, so I'm hopeful it will blossom into a real contender for FPS funtimes. I jump in for a few rounds of FFA deathmatch from time to time because, again, I Looooove bolt-action rifles, and there are no goobers picking machine guns in FFA because B-A rifles are all you got. Love it. Also I laughed my ass off when I was playing as the French and used the Chauchat, widely considered to be the WORST gun ever made. It was pretty effective. Realism 1/10. Fix it Verdun, make it suck. :p

I hope they just fix the melee attacks, because they are just so damn unreliable.
Yeah, you can also catch the devs playing with you sometimes. Deathmatch is really enjoyable for me when there are only a few people on the map. Much more suspense and not pointless running around and getting shot. :D

Top Bottom