• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

AHA-Lambda

Is the entire series worth it?

Grab Chaos Theory at least, Blacklist seems worth a punt as well at that price.

I can't wholeheartedly recommend the rest outright, but I'm a bit of a dissenter on Splinter Cell somewhat:
The 1st is kinda dated and tbh I thought overly difficult in a lot of places.
Pandora Tomorrow is great but not on Steam >_>
Double Agent is quite fun but is like a really easy linear copy of Chaos Theory.
And you can just skip Conviction.

Nzyme32

The OG is not clunky AT ALL

Source: I played it last year on xbox

I had the original og Xbox version, and yeah, it is super clunky compared to more recent games, but it is a great game and can be adjusted to after a while. Just be glad you didn't play on ps2. It was horrendous by comparison. The clunkiness and latency are increased as framerates also plunge

Too long in fact, that long ass prelude doesn't help either, but the game is great.

Yeah I agree with that. It kind of falls over itself as it tries to keep escalating the anxiety and tension. Having said that, I played it in bite size chunks and still notice that length is a bit much, but it remains a fantastic game despite that. I think the way the game is lengthened is what makes it noticeable and a little lethargy inducing towards the end.

Conviction is a fine game but it's easily the SC game that least leans on the stealth stuff. Some thought it swung too hard into the action stuff, but i liked it. Just don't go into it expecting a stealth heavy game and you'll be ok.

Also, tomorrow is repeats, right? So do we jump in on the sales now?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone noticed that this sale somehow the prices for games in keys are higher than what they cost in the store?

Almost all games I checked on steamtrades and TF2outpost were higher in keys than the shop price.

A lot of this could be due to the fact that key trading prices are now effectively 30 days behind due to the new trading limitations Valve implemented right before the sale. Basically, traders have to have the game in their inventories for 30 days before the become tradable.

Turfster

I personally love Blacklist. The only negative for me was no Ironside but I got over it.

Oh. What I played wasn't bad or anything.
It just... didn't really grab me, which is why I haven't gone back to it since.
(Although it being a uplay game is another big factor)

Tomb Raider GOTY Edition is now around the same price it was in GMG few days ago. Hmm I don't know if I did great buying it through GMG or I should have waited to get it through steam now.

You forgot that important information the first time =p

Ahhh yes I guess that makes sense.

get gud and patch a controller into it nerds

I had the original og Xbox version, and yeah, it is super clunky compared to more recent games, but it is a great game and can be adjusted to after a while. Just be glad you didn't play on ps2. It was horrendous by comparison. The clunkiness and latency are increased as framerates also plunge

Well yeah compared to Conviction's streamlined modern controls then yeah you right. Still a pretty great game

Alavard

Conviction is a fine game but it's easily the SC game that least leans on the stealth stuff. Some thought it swung too hard into the action stuff, but i liked it. Just don't go into it expecting a stealth heavy game and you'll be ok.

Games not on dailies have a count-down timer of just under 24 hours now, so tomorrow will either be repeats with no regular games on sale or nothing at all. I'd say this is the time for anything that wasn't a daily.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Blacklist was pretty alright, it was just way too easy. I always try to no-kill-run stealth games but with Blacklist there was almost no tention cause I always had a bunch of sleep-darts available.

fantomena

Im still considering Hearthfire for Skyrim even though I will never play it. But that 50% off will just keep me waiting.

A lot of this could be due to the fact that key trading prices are now effectively 30 days behind due to the new trading limitations Valve implemented right before the sale. Basically, traders have to have the game in their inventories for 30 days before the become tradable.

But they can just gift them. I mean if someone on Steamtrades has 500+rep, I would trust him.

Arthea

so, what's the deal with Planetary Annihilation, if that's not a price mistake, I thought they game was updated somewhat after releasing too soon out of EA. Or am I missing something here?

AHA-Lambda

Games not on dailies have a count-down timer of just under 24 hours now, so tomorrow will either be repeats with no regular games on sale or nothing at all. I'd say this is the time for anything that wasn't a daily.

In that case, I'll buy my last lot now then.

PS: Why do the Obscure games refuse to go to 50% off?? >_<

Lomax

Unlikely there will be a repeat day and we're only a little over 2 weeks from the winter sale, so unless you are wanting something to play right now, best plan is to wait.

Moral question. I am tempted for Child of Light, but I don't want to support Ubisoft :(

Supporting ubi's art games is even more an inditement against their mainstream policies than not supporting them at all.

So it seems like the best deal for rayman legends that i could find was getting it as the free game to go with Lara Croft 2 on the Uplay store. what a bummer.

Turfster

What you mean? As in, the best deal it's ever been, or that the Splinter Cell franchise is bundled together in a pack, and is on a deal?

The whole franchise is 75% off, and there's a pack (Splinter Cell Elite Echelon Edition) for the games before Blacklist.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pandora Tomorrow is the best Splinter Cell easily. Also the strongest and most memorable narrative by about ten miles. I mean I can actually outline the entire plot in pretty crisp detail almost ten years later. Fisher and Lambert's back-and-forth has yet to be matched as well and that doesn't just mean in Splinter Cell.

Too bad y'all will never get to experience it.

ivKJXKCKAjdYZ.gif

But for realz yo.

ibhV9cOEQxtnOd.gif

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Shadowrun Returns is a steal at $1.49. If you have any interest in CRPGs, turn based strategy, roleplaying, or cyberpunk, pick it up.

Actually you know what, I don't care if you like any of those things, pick it up anyway. Cave into peer pressure here.

Milamber

What you mean? As in, the best deal it's ever been, or that the Splinter Cell franchise is bundled together in a pack, and is on a deal?

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Elite Echelon Edition at $9.99, which includes...
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory®
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction™ Deluxe Edition
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent®
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

Pretty good deal but there is a pretty high chance this would hit again at this price point during Winter.

Robaperas

Not a looker, but it's a fun little game.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Robaperas, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Diehard Dungeon -- MB-C7A3694213F7EFEC - Taken by Madn. 11 entrants total.

t1417468866z1.png

Turfster

Shadowrun Returns is a steal at $1.49. If you have any interest in CRPGs, turn based strategy, roleplaying, or cyberpunk, pick it up.

Actually you know what, I don't care if you like any of those things, pick it up anyway. Cave into peer pressure here.

I would suggest people get the Dragonfall Director's Cut instead.
It's a more polished experience in all ways. SR was... rough and the story was pretty meh.
Dragonfall was great, though, and fixed quite a few things wrong with the first game.
(And is standalone)

Tomb Raider DLC are just/mostly costumes and multiplayer stuff, right?

Yes, except for that one extra tomb (and the Japanese DLC I kinda want but it's just too hard to get =p)

Lomax

Totally agree, arguably still the best game fully funded by a Kickstarter.

chronomac

Child of Light is $5.99, and the Ubi Arcade Pack (which includes that game, Trials Fusion and Valiant Hearts) is still $29.98, which makes it more expensive than buying the games individually ($26.97).

Way to go, Ubi.

So i finally got Civ V to work without a hitch and just like that all my time is gone which is terrible because I have a shit ton of homework due this week. Right before my birthday too :(

Nzyme32

?
What is this Game Awards Sale?
I won't even be home this friday lol.

What Game Awards Sale?

It is confirmed that there will be a Game Awards Sale. I'm guessing it will be similar to the VGX sale that occured last year. There is a page for streaming the event and below will be some sales for games of the same series that have been shown at the show iirc.

The sale should last a whole day, so you should see it at some point. If you don't, I could pay for what you like for you as a gift, as long as I can trust you to pay me back via paypal

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Samsung EVO 250GB got a further price drop from it's normal sale price of $109 to $99.99 on Amazon. It comes with a uplay copy of Far Cry 4 which can be worth $0-$60 depending on how much you love uplay and/or your ability to hawk the code off to someone. Pretty good deal if anyone is looking.

Comes to AUD$128 shipped and I think I could make half of that back with FC4. Do you know what the deal is with the game? Does the redemption code come with the drive or does Amazon e-mail it once the order has been shipped?

Edit: Google's cache of the page mentions Far Cry 4 but the current version does not. Oh well. :(

So the prepurchase for Ground Zeroes, tomorrow, is now confirmed :D

You're not talking about it being one of the final Dailies, are you? Today is the last day; regular programming resumes in 23.5 hours. That's why the primary block of Dailies end in 24 hours rather than the usual 48.

Top Bottom