• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Good "metroidvania" with a lot of bosses and stuff to be collected (the last part is optional)

That's good :)

I had more fun playing Batman Blackgate, and i considered that game to not even be close to perfect. And i got it for "free" through PS+, so i didn't even pay for it.

So do with that what you will.

That's bad! :(

I'll try it next week, just got it now because I had some GMG credit lying around.

Backlogger

Since Ensgin-1 is EA game we'll might see if there's any truth to this:

http://i.imgur.com/RYMrpoh.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Buying this bundle suddenly became more appealing. If they remove the EA game from Steam but you already redeemed your copy I assume it stays in your library right?

I kind of understand why Steam would do this. If anyone just threw up any old EA game and then started putting it in cheap bundles all over the place without any intention of supporting/updating the game later it would devalue EA in the minds of many.

That's good :)

That's bad! :(

I'll try it next week, just got it now because I had some GMG credit lying around.

If you go into it with low expectations, you'll be fine. It's not a great game, but it's not terrible, either. It's just a mediocre metroidvania, really, but there are better options if what you're looking for is a decent metroidvania. Blackgate at least does some interesting things, even if it has a couple of real bad filler sections.

? When was Blackgate on PS+?

Sorry, i guess i wasn't too clear. I was talking about Strider when i was talking about the PS+ game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Wrapped up the campaign + the 3 dlc released so far. Scattered thoughts:
  • DX11 support finally! No missing options! It looks phenomenal at 4K (DSR).
  • The art direction is a mixed bag. First half of the levels are boring. The Lantern planets look great though.
  • The story was a bit disappointing. The plot was sort of bland and I didn't feel excited till the final level.
  • The writing wasn't as funny or sharp as LB2. I wasn't laughing anywhere near as much.
  • A couple lines were perfect though, both in delivery and timing.
  • Similar to the art direction, the level design was pretty bland in the first half and then picked up on the Lantern planets. It felt more formulaic than usual.
  • The Resogun "rip-off" segments were pretty entertaining and amusing. Additional joy was felt due to that salty thread made about them.
  • Increased focus on the Flash was great. He was superbly animated and a joy to play as.

DLC thoughts so far:
  • Overall: pretty disappointing all around.
  • The Dark Knight level is boring and uncreative.
  • The Batman 75th Anniversary level consists of some puzzles in a single room. Again, boring.
  • The Man of Steel level picked possibly the least interesting segment of the film to recreate. Disappointing.
  • Despite this I'm still pretty hyped for the Arrow level to come out.

Thanks for your thoughts. I just picked this up thanks to Deques, Shame that it starts off slow but I love the LEGO games generally so I'm sure I'll get through that to the more interesting stuff later on. The DLC being uninspired is a shame, they had a great opportunity to do something interesting with the films, disappointing that that doesn't seem to have worked out. I'll keep an eye on the DLC for discounts in the future though (I know the season pass is 30% off now, but I'm sure it'll drop further once all the DLC is out, and then I'll have a better idea of whether they're worth picking up).

r3n4ud

The Doc, is in

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (r3n4ud, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games -- MB-601D17383B66BDAE - Taken by Jadax

Arthea

I dont get this. Anyone care to explain? :D

EA games that get themselves in the bundle or sell cheap on other sites are removed from EA program and possibly steam, at least that what threatening means, I think.
I really hope they don't remove BoUT2, as I actually bought it and even plan to play at some point, I want it Finnished

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what's with the Divnity Dragon Commander Imperial Edition again? it came with some pre-purchase stuff right?

Dragon Commander's pre-purchase incentive was the beta, which everyone gets because Larian didn't make post-release subs.

chronomac

New thread, new giveaway. All three are worth owning (and on sale).

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PixelJunk Monsters -- MB-0B23108A18131492 - Taken by Florida Man. 2 entrants total.
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-E12B70250EB54A0C - Taken by tioslash. 3 entrants total.
PixelJunk Eden -- MB-6B336058A3500667 - Taken by Robaperas. 1 entrants total.

t1417453203z1.png

I laughed way more than I should have had with this x)
Might I ask your level of interest in that game?

The game gave me some NFS vibes, and I love the old NFS games, so it could be good, but then I read about the microtransactions and my interest level went to 0 or close.
:p

Yakkue

♥❤♥
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Yakkue, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Love -- MB-62B94D8582D8F8D1 - Taken by Nzyme32. 4 entrants total.

t1417453323z1.png
♥❤♥

header.jpg

After my recent addiction with Insurgency, I was gifted Verdun by Kiru, and have played it for a few hours.

It's from the semi-realistic sub-genre of shooter, and I can't help but compare it to Insurgency and Red Orchestra.

Pros:

WWI setting is novel, fresh.

Bolt-action rifles, bolt action rifles everywhere! I love bolt action rifles. I always gravitated towards them in all the multiplayer games I've played. My friends thought it was lame to pick them over l33t automatics, but here finally is my dream come true, a game based around bolt actions.

I love the fact that the gun sights intentionally never really line up if you try to aim standing up. Its a nice touch. You have to switch to a more stable stance or hold your breath temporarily.

The game engine is surprisingly modern. Loads fast, vast plains of trenches as far as the eye can see. Change a video setting and it immediately changes in-game with no reloads. A welcome change from insurgency's dated Source engine (although that game's implementation of it is fantastic, the best I've seen from any source-licensed game.)

Cons:

Its a beta and it shows. A lot of core concepts are not explained well and buried in steam guides, which a lot of people must have ignored, since they don't take advantage of it. The game awards leveling up and grants passive bonuses kind of like a RPG or RTS (increase melee range, increased breath hold for snipers etc) but to access the higher tier passives the best way to level up is to stay near your NCO (leader) and follow his instructions. Getting kills/caps near him multiplier the XP earned, and unlocked the higher tier bonuses/perks/passives quickly.

Tied to this lack of in-game direction, fights are usually aimless. Juggling back and forth between two trenches overlooking no man's land gets tiresome and feels pointless after a while. In a way its immersive, since it captures trench warfare in a nutshell, but it does make for some irritation in game as you are ordered to fall back from the nice trench you are camped in, or be executed, only to be shot in the back while retreating.

Has a CoD like level up meta-system. I hate these things. Just give me all the cool shit FFS, Insurgency does this right, nothing is locked away behind a grind.

Has only like a hundred people in each of the regional servers US, EU, AUS at one time.
Compared to the million users Insurgency has snagged due to the humble bundle.(they made a post about it.)

In short, cool game, borrows some concepts form RPGs/RTS about squad cohesion bonuses, shitty unlock system a la COD, plenty of fun maps, perfectly dreary WWI trench atmosphere, needs 6 months to a year to cook and be polished.

Wrapped up the campaign + the 3 dlc released so far. Scattered thoughts:
  • DX11 support finally! No missing options! It looks phenomenal at 4K (DSR).
  • The art direction is a mixed bag. First half of the levels are boring. The Lantern planets look great though.
  • The story was a bit disappointing. The plot was sort of bland and I didn't feel excited till the final level.
  • The writing wasn't as funny or sharp as LB2. I wasn't laughing anywhere near as much.
  • A couple lines were perfect though, both in delivery and timing.
  • Similar to the art direction, the level design was pretty bland in the first half and then picked up on the Lantern planets. It felt more formulaic than usual.
  • The Resogun "rip-off" segments were pretty entertaining and amusing. Additional joy was felt due to that salty thread made about them.
  • Increased focus on the Flash was great. He was superbly animated and a joy to play as.

DLC thoughts so far:
  • Overall: pretty disappointing all around.
  • The Dark Knight level is boring and uncreative.
  • The Batman 75th Anniversary level consists of some puzzles in a single room. Again, boring.
  • The Man of Steel level picked possibly the least interesting segment of the film to recreate. Disappointing.
  • Despite this I'm still pretty hyped for the Arrow level to come out.

Bummer about the disappointing parts. Guess I made the right decision on just replaying Lego Marvel and holding off on a price break.

Guess EA doesn't want me to buy anything from them, Origin login keeps giving 500 errors.
Oh well.
My girlfriend bought a Sims expansion pack yesterday and it never showed up, nor could customer service do a damn thing.

Origin is more dead than ever to me if it won't even work.

Arthea

I actually think that concept behind the Crew is really cool, if it worked as intended included online, which certainly won't be a case, and price just adds insult to the injury.
It's still better than ~90€ DA:I I spotted on Origin before it being released and laughed out loud literally.

Backlogger

The only thing I bought during the EA sale was Titanfall for $5. I would have pulled the trigger on a Sim City Complete Edition for 75% off, but I think its only been 50% off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Another month, still no news of Bulletstorm getting GFWL removed. :(

It's not happening. The only reason the game reappeared is that GFWL was given a stay of execution.

Considering EA is involved, I expect Mass Effect 3 on steam before Bulletstorm getting rid of GFWL and getting steam.

EA isn't involved. Epic was "discussing internally what to do with [the game]" but nothing ever eventuated.

Top Bottom