• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
developers need to remember there are other fascists that need killing

the francos and mussolinis deserve your bullets as much as hitler

if anything for diversity's sake

There needs to be a competent enemy for it to be enjoyable.

actually it'd be pretty interesting to see a game made from the nazis' point of view

something like jin roh or something

aaa developers are not nearly ready to make something like that, but still, would be interesting and frightening

Games series such as Hearts of Iron, Silent Hunter, or Panzer General already feature the German Axis power in that light, so in that sense that rubicon has already been passed. But the German military is not a political organization, so that does need to be taken into account. If you are bored enough, you can research indie titles made to promote Nazi ideals, I don't suggest this course of action though.

Maniac

Banned
Let's see how many peeps I can wind up by saying this but in fact it's kind of a backhanded compliment.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is like a marriage of Diablo and Fable.

I'll explain fully later but right now I've got bloody sucked in.

I don't think it's a particularly good marriage. It feels like some of the worst bits of both. I think it'd be a superior game if you had manual targetting of everything, instead we have the MMO-esque targetting which... Meh, just doesn't fit the game, especially not the visual style.

Although the visual style annoys me. Why did they throw out so many great designs from DA2? The bladestaves were so good. The ones in Inq are just... 'meh' :/

/Rant. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah the way i was thinking it was most definitely not a game promoting fascism or nazism (tho i find those interesting and i've watched goebbels movies and other propaganda crap) but just games from that side. that's why i was thinking about jin-roh, i find that movie super interesting

also it would be interesting if it wasn't necessarily a shooter. i find that being someone in charge of propaganda and censorship might make for a very interesting topic (i have a decent prototype on a game like this, actually, but needs much work)

i've always been interested in the "other side" as a topic, i dunno why

i guess i have a twisted mind

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Although the visual style annoys me. Why did they throw out so many great designs from DA2? The bladestaves were so good. The ones in Inq are just... 'meh' :/

/Rant. :p

I think this is the first time I've seen someone speak positively of DA2.

Anteater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoV27HhwuR4

dat ff7 remake

lol-duck6mc2f.gif

edit: speaking of sfv. Steve Youngblood has quite a few good posts I agree with in those threads.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142145047&postcount=487

Tizoc

Is it OK to talk about the recent 'exclusivity' thing that's been going on regarding SF5's announcement, in here?

JaseC

Is it OK to talk about the recent 'exclusivity' thing that's been going on regarding SF5's announcement, in here?

There's a tangential relationship to Steam, so yes.

Edit: Mystery Cards should replace coupons as a crafting reward in a couple of days.

Maniac

Banned
I think this is the first time I've seen someone speak positively of DA2.

Sorry. I forgot to mention the game is incredibly repetitive and dull, and the lack of action camera is a fucking disgrace after Bio basically let us play DA:O like a super improved Baldurs Gate.

The same can be said of Inquisition.

But anyway, the actual visuals and art-design, especially for armour and weapons was... Well, really great. Super-cool. Mages were fucking badass in that game. They dialled it down in Inq because 'bleh' reasons, so mages are yet again very... Wuss-lookin'.

And I played as a mage in hopes that they'd look as badass as Hawke did in pseudo-heavy mage armour with a ballin' bladestaff, as per DA2.

But I had no such luck.

pahamrick

Sorry. I forgot to mention the game is incredibly repetitive and dull, and the lack of action camera is a fucking disgrace after Bio basically let us play DA:O like a super improved Baldurs Gate.

But anyway, the actual visuals and art-design, especially for armour and weapons was... Well, really great. Super-cool. Mages were fucking badass in that game. They dialled it down in Inq because 'bleh' reasons, so mages are yet again very... Wuss-lookin'.

And I played as a mage in hopes that they'd look as badass as Hawke did in pseudo-heavy mage armour with a ballin' bladestaff, as per DA2.

But I had no such luck.

You can deck mages out in heavy looking armor, and there's a couple staff parts that look like large blades you can attach.

My mage is decked out in heavy armor just for the bonus armor rating.

Copons

yeah the way i was thinking it was most definitely not a game promoting fascism or nazism (tho i find those interesting and i've watched goebbels movies and other propaganda crap) but just games from that side. that's why i was thinking about jin-roh, i find that movie super interesting

also it would be interesting if it wasn't necessarily a shooter. i find that being someone in charge of propaganda and censorship might make for a very interesting topic (i have a decent prototype on a game like this, actually, but needs much work)

i've always been interested in the "other side" as a topic, i dunno why

i guess i have a twisted mind

Well, in a sense it's something slightly around the idea behind Papers, Please, as in a game from the point of view of a random person in a totalitarian country in the middle of a politically complex area.

But yeah, I'd play so much games that try to look at the other side, but only if they approach these things with enough depths.

And just saying, Italian and Spanish (to say two countries never ever touched in games) 1900 history would make for great scenarios for war games, with the Spanish Civil War or the resistance against pretty much everybody in Italy.
also 70s and 80s Italy could make for a great terrorism/spies/secret services scenario, but it would be way harder to get a grasp of it

Knurek

And just saying, Italian and Spanish (to say two countries never ever touched in games) 1900 history would make for great scenarios for war games, with the Spanish Civil War or the resistance against pretty much everybody in Italy.
also 70s and 80s Italy could make for a great terrorism/spies/secret services scenario, but it would be way harder to get a grasp of it

Screw this, give me a game about Swedish Deluge in the 17th century (Mount and Blade doesn't count)

zkylon

zkylewd
i know it's super ot but i don't know who to ask right now since it's super late

does anyone know what's up with all the fanart of different series with this outfit? (linking since it's super op)

i've seen like 6 different characters in that outfit on my twitter and deviantart feeds and i don't know what's up -__-

Well, in a sense it's something slightly around the idea behind Papers, Please, as in a game from the point of view of a random person in a totalitarian country in the middle of a politically complex area.

But yeah, I'd play so much games that try to look at the other side, but only if they approach these things with enough depths.

yeah, that all sounds very interesting to me

speaking of which i really wish we had more games set in the 70s

Sendou

I was playing L.A. Noire thinking I was going through the last case. Didn't have that much fun with the game lately. Gameplay is mediocre all around and the story didn't grasp me either. Then I found out I had over 10 more cases to go. That's a good time to give up on a game I think.

JaseC

Does someone know how can I modify resolution for Mind Path of Thalamus? I found a guide on steam community hub, involving a modification of an .ini, but I have no Res option in it.

UE3 games have a handful of config files, so a million dollars says you're looking in the wrong one.

Disclaimer: I don't have a million dollars.

Nzyme32

I was playing L.A. Noire thinking I was going through the last case. Didn't have that much fun with the game lately. Gameplay is mediocre all around and the story didn't grasp me either. Then I found out I had over 10 more cases to go. That's a good time to give up on a game I think.

I had the same kind of problem with the game and would start over after a long while but, recently I got round to starting it again and doing it in really small chunks - just a couple of cases at a time. It was a far more enjoyable experience. In fact I really like the game now that I've finished it

Nabs

It's definitely a long one. It took me around 20 hours without the DLC. Now, I'm not telling you to push through, but the game does get slightly more interesting around Vice.

God, I hope no one ever does this :/ I'm sick of Spanish movies about our Civil War… I don't want to see another game about it (there are already a couple of them, fortunately they weren't too successful).

I know it might seem fresh for someone that has never heard about it, but to be honest I can't think of any key events that could make a cool game. Nazi imagery is way more interesting, what you'd see in a game about Spain in the early 20th century would be something very similar to RE4, just old houses and poor people. It's not like there were battles in the Alhambra or something worth showing :p

However, I really agree with zkylon. I'd love to see more games where the MC is a nazi or a terrorist, and you can actually decide if you want to keep following orders and be evil or start disobeying orders and becoming a double agent. Furthermore, I loved the Spec Ops twist, I hope to see one day a game where you find out in the end that
you've been killing good people all along, and that you've been a willing terrorist since the start, but as a player you never knew for sure since you were just simply following orders from someone you never see / following mission markers just because that's what you do when you play those kind of hames

I understand it would be way too controversial, but oh well… It would be very interesting, if executed well.

Tenrius

What the world really needs is a game about the October Revolution and the Russian Civil War (in which you'd play as the White Army, of course).

Sendou

I had the same kind of problem with the game and would start over after a long while but, recently I got round to starting it again and doing it in really small chunks - just a couple of cases at a time. It was a far more enjoyable experience. In fact I really like the game now that I've finished it

It's definitely a long one. It took me around 20 hours without the DLC. Now, I'm not telling you to push through, but the game does get slightly more interesting around Vice.

I guess I could try that case-by-case approach. Whenever I quit the game mid-chapter I do horribly because I forget everything that was discovered about the case previously. It doesn't help that the interrogation sequences aren't as clear cut as they are in Ace Attorney for example.

Tizoc

I'm mostly writing what comes to mind, but just wanted to share my views on the matter ^^;
I don't see why not.

There's a tangential relationship to Steam, so yes.

Edit: Mystery Cards should replace coupons as a crafting reward in a couple of days.

Cool.

Getting straight to it: why do high profile games get called out on their exclusivity but not other games?
When Grim Fandango was announced during E3 it was stated to be for Sony systems only. Yet no one called the game out on this. Granted a PC ver. was announced later on, but even I knew that was happening. Guilty Gear Xrd is Sony console exclusive too, with a PS4 ver. released, yet no one asks why there isn't an XBone ver. of this, especially when the latest ver. of Guilty Gear XX was released on XBL months ago.

Whenever Bayonetta 2 gets brought up, people will say that it was because of Nintendo that the game was even greenlit to begin with.
If the same can be said with Sony and Capcom for SF5, why does this game get flack for its exclusivity?

I personally find all the discussion regarding console exclusivity to be bullshit, especially when nowadays a game that is 'exclusive' would eventually get a release on another system or PC in due time, and as is we're still maybe a year away from these specific game's release, so what's another 6+ months of waiting to play that game on your system of choice?

JaseC

Yeah, there are too many files, I looked into the one mentioned in that thread.

I haven't even loaded up the game yet and they're there for me:

ShadowFadeExponent=0.250000
ResX=1280
ResY=720

ScreenPercentage=100.000000

You did look in SteamApps\common\Mind_Path_to_Thalamus\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini, right?

Wok

God, I hope no one ever does this :/ I'm sick of Spanish movies about our Civil War… I don't want to see another game about it (there are already a couple of them, fortunately they weren't too successful).

I know it might seem fresh for someone that has never heard about it, but to be honest I can't think of any key events that could make a cool game. Nazi imagery is way more interesting, what you'd see in a game about Spain in the early 20th century would be something very similar to RE4, just old houses and poor people. It's not like there were battles in the Alhambra or something worth showing :p

However, I really agree with zkylon. I'd love to see more games where the MC is a nazi or a terrorist, and you can actually decide if you want to keep following orders and be evil or start disobeying orders and becoming a double agent. Furthermore, I loved the Spec Ops twist, I hope to see one day a game where you find out in the end that
you've been killing good people all along, and that you've been a willing terrorist since the start, but as a player you never knew for sure since you were just simply following orders from someone you never see / following mission markers just because that's what you do when you play those kind of hames

I understand it would be way too controversial, but oh well… It would be very interesting, if executed well.

It sounds like the "would you kindly" kind of twist.

JaseC

Whenever Bayonetta 2 gets brought up, people will say that it was because of Nintendo that the game was even greenlit to begin with.
If the same can be said with Sony and Capcom for SF5, why does this game get flack for its exclusivity?

It can't. Street Fighter is one of Capcom's oldest and most popular franchises.

Tizoc

I have a vision.

When SEGA put up Resonance of Fate (an RPG series) on PSN, they later released V. Chronicles (RPG) on Steam.

Just now SEGA has put up the PS3 Yakuza games (action) on PSN too, could a SEGA action game release on Steam not be far off in the next few months.

JaseC

Yes, I can't find them using search option :S
Do you own Win 8.1 ? Maybe it's different, dunno :S

I'm using 7. Just search the file for "resx" or "resy" and ensure, if you're using Notepad, that "Match case" isn't ticked and you're searching in the correct direction.

Knurek

I have a vision.

When SEGA put up Resonance of Fate (an RPG series) on PSN, they later released V. Chronicles (RPG) on Steam.

Just now SEGA has put up the PS3 Yakuza games (action) on PSN too, could a SEGA action game release on Steam not be far off in the next few months.

I'd much rather have Resonance of Fate on PC.
It's not going to be the first tri-Ace game on PC, as FF13-2 is coming out soon, but the more of them, the merrier...
Valkyrie Profile 2 would be such a good fit as well, and wouldn't require much effort, as the assets are already fine even in 1080p...

JaseC

Quake Live's 12-month pro sub is 14c on the JP store. Being a recurring sub there's little point on jumping on it unless you're actually going to play the game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I have a vision.

You're trying to find logic within Sega. That's your problem.
I'm almost 100% convinced that everything Sega does is decided with a flip of a coin and nobody bothers to decide which side means what.

bookmarked. Thanks for this.

Let's see how many peeps I can wind up by saying this but in fact it's kind of a backhanded compliment.

Ah yes....one of us.

so two games i don't like

gotcha

it has spiders, so I guess it doesn't matter.

But I had no such luck.

um. Armor was not great in DA2. Companion armor you couldn't change, limited visual design, drops you couldn't use.

In Inq you can also craft armor w/o class requirements...making your mage wear heavy if you want.

Tizoc

You're trying to find logic within Sega. That's your problem.
I'm almost 100% convinced that everything Sega does is decided with a flip of a coin and nobody bothers to decide which side means what.

Man who cares what they release; it's the fact they'll release something that matters :V

Besides the only logic I'm following is the stuff I made threads about that turned out to be true:

I made a thread about US PSN doing a buy for '$100 get $ back', but used year old links as my source. 1 week later, BAM promo is up.

I made a thread about Suikoden 2 showing up on ESRB again, this time NOT taken down after a few days some weeks ago. BAM, yesterday, Suikoden 2 coming out this Tuesday on US PSN.

I wonder if I am a wizard...

Jawmuncher

bookmarked. Thanks for this.

Ah yes....one of us.

it has spiders, so I guess it doesn't matter.

um. Armor was not great in DA2. Companion armor you couldn't change, limited visual design, drops you couldn't use.

In Inq you can also craft armor w/o class requirements...making your mage wear heavy if you want.

There's one thing you forgot.
Hawked armor is still like the coolest armor in any DA game. I wish I could have worn it in DAi.

AHA-Lambda

Wow, that sounds bloody awful.

It sounds like the "would you kindly" kind of twist.

Yeah, haha. Pretty much, although I was thinking of going even further, making the MC know from the start what's he's doing, but hiding that from the player. No redemption at all, unless you want to start behaving as a good guy because you've noticed something was off.

Jawmuncher

Yeah you're ginna have to explain that.
I can maybe see Diablo, but not fable at all and I like fable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Not at all, seems like Deathshead was in charge of everything.

I started digging around and RTCW's story actually connects to Wolf09 and Wolf09 does connect to WolfTNO. I couldn't find any confirmation of Wolf3D and RTCW being intended to be connected, but it's reasonable to assume they are and that would mean Hitler is dead I guess.

Very satisfied with Gone Home. I think I'm part of the target audience for walking simulators after having a good time with it and Dear Esther.

Any others worth playing?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Very satisfied with Gone Home. I think I'm part of the target audience for walking simulators after having a good time with it and Dear Esther.

Any others worth playing?

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is pretty much a walking and exploratory sim and it's gorgeous. I wasn't a huge fan of how they wrapped up the narrative, but I enjoyed the individual stories told leading up to it quite a bit. Gone Home is still king when it comes to writing and narrative.

Mind: Path to Thalamus is basically a pretty walking sim with some puzzles thrown in for good measure and while the puzzles aren't too inoffensive, they aren't as sharply designed as they could be. The narration is garbage too. It was bad enough to make me stop caring about the story.

If you have a PS3/4 they have a couple exclusives that fulfilled the same walking sim needs for me:
-Journey (third-person and abstract, but still a walking/sliding/jumping sim)
-Flower (abstract, but still soothing, non-stressful, exploration-based gameplay)
-Unfinished Swan (what I played of the demo was basically a walking sim, planning on picking the full game up when I grab a PS4)

snack

Hey gaf! If anyone is planning on getting games off steam, I am here to help. I have alot of steam wallet left that I would like to get rid of.

I'd like cash all my wallet out to PayPal, hence I can provide a discount of 7% for anything that you purchase from the store or even the market!

If you are interested, hit me up with a PM. Thanks and happy holidays!

Hey gaf! If anyone is planning on getting games off steam, I am here to help. I have alot of steam wallet left that I would like to get rid of.

I'd like cash all my wallet out to PayPal, hence I can provide a discount of 7% for anything that you purchase from the store or even the market!

If you are interested, hit me up with a PM. Thanks and happy holidays!
B/S/T thread is the other way.

Top Bottom