• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Angry Joe makes very stupid rant. We know this is a timed exclusive, even if SF5 won't reach One, for sure Capcom will take out a Super SF5, and that will reach Microsoft console too.
He didn't spend a single word about Unity fiasco, about the horrible port for DR3, but he rants about timed axclusives.
So it's stupid because he doesn't cover everything going on in the industry?

derExperte

Nah. I like my PS4. It has given my a dozen of horus with playtime.

Me too. Two, maybe even three dozen. Over the span of a year. With 3-6 months of nothing in between. No wonder people are going insane, it's like living in that hotel from Shining during winter and GAF is the typewriter.

That being said, besides "Dear Esther", what other games are similar to 'Gone Home'? Been in the mood to play these kind of games lately.

Thank you.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter maybe. It has some puzzles but you're mostly running around exploring. Also afaik Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (from the Dear Esther devs) is less a horror game and plays more like Esther.

Oh I know, The Stanley Parable. http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/ Or Jazzpunk. Both are more humorous/tongue in cheek and less about telling a gripping story.

Lomax

Last night I played and beat 'Gone Home'. Fantastic atmospheric game especially with a good sound system / headphones. I really enjoyed Sam's narration and the way the story was told.

Spoilers Alert:
Really expected to see Oscar's ghost through out the game but it never came through. I enjoyed that they added this part to add some additional tension within the game. The game truly was about knowing WTF happened to Sam and where did she go. Simple yet effective.

That being said, besides "Dear Esther", what other games are similar to 'Gone Home'? Been in the mood to play these kind of games lately.

Thank you.

Proteus is one I've heard mentioned in a lot of the same context as those two. And to an extent Lifeless Planet though it apparently has a good bit of platforming.

Anteater

Mini Ninjas is pretty rad, I especially like the level design and the way they allow you to stealth through them or killing stuff, and having characters with different abilities (although I have no idea what some of them are for), it's just that the simplistic combat and encounters basically don't really enforces you to use those elements and there's really no point to, like having different characters aren't really that different enough for you to switch and explore them, so everything is pretty barebone.

It's not really a complaint but more like I'm praising them on putting in the effort considering what they are going for: a simple hack and slash kid game.

Teppic

So, when's the best time to sell off your card stock?
Close to the start of Winter Seal or just after the sale has started?
I think they're selling the best during the fist day of the sale. Set a high price now and wait for the sale. If they don't get sold at the end of the first day you might want to lower the price.

derExperte

I think they're selling the best during the fist day of the sale. Set a high price now and wait for the sale. If they don't get sold at the end of the first day you might want to lower the price.

Yep but the card prices could already climb as soon as the mystery cards start dropping for crafting badges.

_hekk05

Banned
Angry Joe makes very stupid rant. We know this is a timed exclusive, even if SF5 won't reach One, for sure Capcom will take out a Super SF5, and that will reach Microsoft console too.
He didn't spend a single word about Unity fiasco, about the horrible port for DR3, but he rants about timed axclusives.

I don't know man, Sony were pretty insistent and this feels like titanfall ultimate edition coming to PS4 all over again. I don't really enjoy fighters, so I don't really care anyway.

Besides, what is MS gonna do with the xplay?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Similar to games you play: Call of Duty: United Offensive

lol?

Me too. Two, maybe even three dozen. Over the span of a year. With 3-6 months of nothing in between. No wonder people are going insane, it's like living in that hotel from Shining during winter and GAF is the typewriter.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter maybe. It has some puzzles but you're mostly running around exploring. Also afaik Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (from the Dear Esther devs) is less a horror game and plays more like Esther.

Oh I know, The Stanley Parable. http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/ Or Jazzpunk. Both are more humorous/tongue in cheek and less about telling a gripping story.

Proteus is one I've heard mentioned in a lot of the same context as those two. And to an extent Lifeless Planet though it apparently has a good bit of platforming.

Proteus was not so good, for me. There's really nothing in the game except roaming for 20 minutes, until the game will end.

Lifelass Planet, I loved that. Is based upon Aelita, and it's not a walking simulator, since it contains some easy puzzles. Maybe is a bit long, but it's worth for sure.

Thank you for the replies! :D I did try out Stanley's Parable when it was just a free mod. Enjoyed it a lot too and fun to watch others play and see their choices. I will try out all of these games.

Thanks again.

PunishedSnake said:
I didn't say he is stupid. I said those rants are stupid. I really don't believe SE will not release TR on other platforms, as I don't believe SF5 will remain on PS4. Maybe Capcom will just rename it, add something, excluding cross-platform feature and release it on One too. Not soon, but after one year? Probably.

I didn't see a video about Unity and many other issues in and there, those deserved a "rant" for sure. Also, exclusives exist until the first console was released.
Do you want SF5? You need to buy a PS4. Is crappy? Oh, yes. But it was always been this way. I like Halo, in example, but I don't want buy a console just to play one game. So I don't play Halo, easy. I know, Halo is a first party brand, but I want to do an example and this came in mind.
Oh, I didn't say anything about you saying he's stupid. :)

I just don't see why everyone on YouTube (like Joe) should cover everything going on in the industry at the same time. Some diversity is most certainly appreciated, by pretty much everyone.

It's not exactly his "job" either; his job description is probably more in line with "entertainer". No disrespect - Joe's a great guy imo - but he's not an expert with some special insight in the industry, with more knowledge about it than anyone else.

It's also fully possible that he found Unity perfectly playable, and/or simply thought the subject was done to death already.

Lomax

So, when's the best time to sell off your card stock?
Close to the start of Winter Seal or just after the sale has started?

Sell them when they start to drop and are still called "mistery" cards

In the first two sales that had mystery cards, they converted them on the market, which caused the market to break, which caused the prices to spike. I sold cards on those first days for over a $1 each during that time. This past summer sale they changed that though, and the market didn't break. So the highest prices for the mystery cards was right when they first started dropping, and then they went back up on the first day of the sale to about 40-45 cents each.

I'd say if you can get over 50 cents each when they first start to drop, take it, otherwise wait for the first day of the sale. But be sure to sell off completely before the second day when the free cards from voting start being handed out, as each time that happens the price drops.

Generic cards spiked at the beginning of each sale due to people looking for mystery cards, but then they drop steadily after the first day due to people wanting money to buy games.

Of course, all of this is out the window if something new is done this sale. The changes last sale kept the prices of mystery cards higher overall than they had been for prior sales.

Pranay

That's true. No console is barren if you approach it with the enthusiasm of a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

Unless you're a wii u owner only, any console as a main platform or a pc would hardly be called 'barren'.

Anyone buying a console for exclusives should wait for 3 years imo

Arthea

I was about to take offense in Journey being called walking simulator, because c'mon it's a normal gamey game even if a short one, but decided against it, as it mostly has to do with me not being fond of games with lack of gameplay or fun things to do than issue on itself.
That being said, Journey is awesome, and Stanley Parable is funny.

edited: but it would be nice if we called walking sims only games where you walk and objective is a story, even better would be to call them walking VNs, while Telltale VNs, QTE VNs
OK, I'll see myself out now (><)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Most of my favorite franchises are getting new entries:
Devil Survivor 2 Break Record

Hopefully it'll get localized along with Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. I'm slightly paranoid since Etrian Mystery Dungeon (the crossover spinoff) was announced for localization and the two entries in franchises I actually care about haven't had announcements yet.

Guys, guys!
GMG's deal of the day is... are you ready?
Duke nukem forever 75% off!
It's the game we've all been waiting for!
Guys?
Why are you leaving?

egsesZs.gif

Last night I played and beat 'Gone Home'. Fantastic atmospheric game especially with a good sound system / headphones. I really enjoyed Sam's narration and the way the story was told.

Spoilers Alert:
Really expected to see Oscar's ghost through out the game but it never came through. I enjoyed that they added this part to add some additional tension within the game. The game truly was about knowing WTF happened to Sam and where did she go. Simple yet effective.

Thank you.

have you played Vanishing of Ethan Carter?

Speevy

Banned
I hate to give something other than a glowing recommendation to a game, but please don't buy Lumino City in its current state.

The game's interface is broken. You can't read it unless you're close to the screen and the game's puzzles don't always work. In addition, there is no options menu, and if you choose to quit the game by accident, it won't let you say no. It gives two options, but the only working one is yes.

It's a lovely game which is why I picked it up, but I don't know if the developer spent enough time porting it. In any case, wait for a patch.

Wok

Spoilers Alert:

Thank you.

A7LsJp6.png

Apart from the great suggestions, do not forget the Steam store uses tags these days: look at these games.

So, PSX will be annual. Valve, please think over our suggestion jshackles relayed. It would be cool. Fans would like it. It'd require a lot of resources sure, but this would be a great way of connecting with your fanbase. Don't let TI be your only fan event.

Jawmuncher

So, PSX will be annual. Valve, please think over our suggestion jshackles relayed. It would be cool. Fans would like it. It'd require a lot of resources sure, but this would be a great way of connecting with your fanbase. Don't let TI be your only fan event.

You make it sound like they want to care in the first place.

AHA-Lambda

Probably a silly question but do save files from OSX work on Windows?

I'm getting my new PC tomorrow and I still have some saves here, namely the one I'm worried about is Kentucky Route Zero as it's episodic and still ongoing =/

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hey guys

how long does Steam lock you out of the marketplace if you add a new payment method?

Exuro

Even a Nintendo Direct type thing would be cool. Talk more about the Steam Machines initiative, show of partnered boxes. Reveal final layout for the Steam controller. Show off some games using it, along with the API and how you can share controller profiles via workshop. Show off latest SteamOS, with added multimedia apps like Netflix and any other cool Steam/Steam API features being worked on. Show off games of course that will be compatible. (Still have things like Source 2 + games built on it we don't know much about) They could fit that in 15-30 minutes of video. Would be really awesome, but I'm guessing we won't hear anything about the above until GDC and even then it probably won't be enough info for me. :p

edit: forgot about their vr stuff too.

Top Bottom