• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Copons

God, I hope no one ever does this :/ I'm sick of Spanish movies about our Civil War… I don't want to see another game about it (there are already a couple of them, fortunately they weren't too successful).

I know it might seem fresh for someone that has never heard about it, but to be honest I can't think of any key events that could make a cool game. Nazi imagery is way more interesting, what you'd see in a game about Spain in the early 20th century would be something very similar to RE4, just old houses and poor people. It's not like there were battles in the Alhambra or something worth showing :p

Yeah but still!
I don't know shit about what happened in Spain between the WW2 and Franco, except like, my grandfather who was forced to go there to support Franco during the civil war (just to defect and fight against him or something).
But between that and the partisan resistance in Italy, I'm sure there could be plenty of situations worth playing, also because I'm kinda tired to replay the D-Day over and over again.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever Bayonetta 2 gets brought up, people will say that it was because of Nintendo that the game was even greenlit to begin with.
If the same can be said with Sony and Capcom for SF5, why does this game get flack for its exclusivity?

I'm sure it was hell greenlighting such a niche bomba franchise like Street Fighter

Tizoc

It can't. Street Fighter is one of Capcom's oldest and most popular franchises.

I'm sure it was hell greenlighting such a niche bomba franchise like Street Fighter

Yoshinori Ono has stated before that they don't have the budget to make a new SF.
There was even a thread on GAF about it.

Mind you this being Ono I tend to tread much of what he says as BS, but this case raises suspect.

Went and picked up my SSD/HDD and a case plus some powerline adapters. Now just waiting for the other parts which should arrive on tuesday or maybe even monday!

AHA-Lambda

Yoshinori Ono has stated before that they don't have the budget to make a new SF.
There was even a thread on GAF about it.

Mind you this being Ono I tend to tread much of what he says as BS, but this case raises suspect.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe that story, I refuse to believe that Capcom is hesitant to greenlight a sequel to their 2nd biggest franchise.

Definitely The Stanley Parable if you've not already played it.

I have not. I've heard good things, though.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Mind: Path to Thalamus
Journey
Flower
Unfinished Swan

Ethan Carter did seem like a good idea when around its release I watched a lot of 4k demonstration videos and what not, very pretty. Probably wont go for Mind if it has poor voice acting. That's usually a deal breaker. And though I do have a PS3, I've already watched a playthrough of Journey so I dunno if it'd be worth it. Flower is perhaps an option, but Unfinished Swan doesn't look very interesting.

If it helps, To The Moon is among my favorite games. I think I like semi-realistic stories with a twinge of sadness in them. Something that other genres rarely deliver on.

Lomax

Enhanced steam is crashing my firefox. have to disable it temporarily sadly :/

Turn off the options related to counting market and store purchases and that usually fixes the issues. Though personally I just gave up on using it in Firefox and just use it in Chrome.

Uzzy

I'm sorry but I just don't believe that story, I refuse to believe that Capcom is hesitant to greenlight a sequel to their 2nd biggest franchise.

I also doubt it. But I'd add that if Capcom really didn't have the money to greenlight SFV themselves, then they're in serious trouble.

i got bombing bastards the other day , decent bomberman clone i guess , maybe i little bit slower but at least is similar to bomberman and thats what i wanted

kurahador

Yeah you're ginna have to explain that.
I can maybe see Diablo, but not fable at all and I like fable.

He probably meant Fable 3 in which you get to be "king" and decides bunch of political stuff.

3rd. It's not hard to believe when Capcom is currently strapped for cash and only decides to focus on their top 2 franchise.

RE>MH>SF

MUnited83

For you.

It's Capcom. They are down the shitter financially. Hell, can't even make a 2 million dollar Megaman. With Dead Rising 3 and now this it seems that they can't even release a next-gen game without serious money help from the platform holders.

abracadaver

I still have 3 gift copies of Insurgency

header.jpg

edit: all gone

dani_dc

They're a badly managed entity that rather continue to go after the AAA budget sales with games like RE 7 than to create a steady source of lower budget but still successable games.
Its funny how this obsession with AAA budgets lead them to this place but they keep going at it while gutting franchises like SF.

RS4-

Yeah, everyone seems to forget that MH is Capcom's second or probably top franchise along with RE.

I'm just going to shit on them until they fix USF netcode for PC.

Uzzy

It's Capcom. They are down the shitter financially. Hell, can't even make a 2 million dollar Megaman. With Dead Rising 3 and now this it seems that they can't even release a next-gen game without serious money help from the platform holders.

Well, I don't look forward to the meltdowns when RE7 is announced as exclusive to the Xbone.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, well maybe they actually are that boned? Would explain why USF IV PC has ten times worse netcode than Smash Bros Wii U.

AHA-Lambda

He probably meant Fable 3 in which you get to be "king" and decides bunch of political stuff.

3rd. It's not hard to believe when Capcom is currently strapped for cash and only decides to focus on their top 2 franchise.

RE>MH>SF

Oh, I didn't know MH had overtaken SF :O

Well point still stands unless things are as bad as people say; I knew they weren't doing great but if they can't afford to greenlight a new SF game themselves then things are seriously wrong.

I have not. I've heard good things, though.

Ethan Carter did seem like a good idea when around its release I watched a lot of 4k demonstration videos and what not, very pretty. Probably wont go for Mind if it has poor voice acting. That's usually a deal breaker. And though I do have a PS3, I've already watched a playthrough of Journey so I dunno if it'd be worth it. Flower is perhaps an option, but Unfinished Swan doesn't look very interesting.

If it helps, To The Moon is among my favorite games. I think I like semi-realistic stories with a twinge of sadness in them. Something that other genres rarely deliver on.

Unfinished Swan is really good. Every level has its own unique gameplay mechanic and there's always light puzzle solving involved, it's not just walking. It also has a touching story.

AHA-Lambda

Actually I will second Unfinished Swan and I wasn't very enamoured from initial videos either, really enjoyed with the final game though :)

ViviOggi

Yeah I'm not buying it

Capcom's management is literally braindead but you don't need any cerebral capacity to greenlight a Street Fighter

Phawx

i got bombing bastards the other day , decent bomberman clone i guess , maybe i little bit slower but at least is similar to bomberman and thats what i wanted

I did an LP of Bombing Bastards. It's literally Bomberman. Kicking bombs, throwing bombs, pacing. It literally all feels like Bomberman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_adPPCEWA

I had a hell of a time setting up multiplayer though. Kept getting "Can't connect because Host actively refused connection" Even trying to make a pseudo-LAN didn't work.

Lomax

Yeah I'm not buying it

Capcom's management is literally braindead but you don't need any cerebral capacity to greenlight a Street Fighter

Marketing. The marketing budget of so-called "AAA" titles these days is even higher than the development budget. That's the biggest reason we see so many of these arrangements, from both larger companies like Capcom and smaller ones like CDProjekt, in order to get the level of marketing they want, they are turning to deals like this. There's no doubt SFV would have gotten made either way, but if Sony will put substantial marketing into it, there's no downside for Capcom, who can always just release another version a year later on different platforms.

Amazing, wanted to finish AC: Liberation (played 6 hours back in January when it was released) and now Uplay seems to have deleted my savegames :(

Thanks Ubi!

Grief.exe

Angry Joe just solved the energy crisis and reinstated world peace.

Here's the solution to everybody's problems. Don't buy a fucking PS4 or XBO right now, they are not fucking worth it. Buy a fucking PC.

-Angry Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTP3c2eV0zU&t=10m00s

Marketing. The marketing budget of so-called "AAA" titles these days is even higher than the development budget. That's the biggest reason we see so many of these arrangements, from both larger companies like Capcom and smaller ones like CDProjekt, in order to get the level of marketing they want, they are turning to deals like this. There's no doubt SFV would have gotten made either way, but if Sony will put substantial marketing into it, there's no downside for Capcom, who can always just release another version a year later on different platforms.

Well said.

Deitus

That's been my strategy, and it's worked for me so far.

Although, when Bloodborne comes out it's going to be a lot more difficult. I'll have to choose between buying a console for literally one game, or waiting an indefinite amount of time for Sony to make their console worth my money before I can play Bloodborne.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-2F92657D829DE46E - Taken by D3RANG3D. 2 entrants total.
Zoo Park -- MB-E508C65FF7C24D2D - Taken by Lomax. 1 entrants total.
SWEET LILY DREAMS -- MB-D63DB8ADAB4718C3 - Taken by xGreg
Ichi -- MB-3730B4CF8C77316A - Taken by Sendou. 1 entrants total.
SURGEON SIMULATOR -- MB-16340021B1A8CFBC - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 1 entrants total.
Sinister City -- MB-F9DB998F86C9AE2F - Taken by Haunted. 1 entrants total.
Viking Battle for Asgard -- MB-19F2018B8A906830 - Taken by nightstorm. 3 entrants total.
Rhythm Destruction -- MB-DDA2C3E716D9C07E - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Post Master -- MB-8C1026B33EF44AFC - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-A2BB98EED9BC1C2C - Taken by Conrad Link

t1417937965z1.png

I ain't even mad this was during sleep time in Europe and I missed it.

Last night I was pleasantly surprised with Divinity OS from a dope friend. :D
Glad I decided to open up steam before going to bed.
-
But isn't it heavily censored?
Yeah, stupidly nazi symbols are being censored without regards to any context at all.
Even if you have a sticker of a swastika being crossed or thrown to the trash you can and will be brought in front of a judge.
It is plain stupid.

Regarding Wolf TNO. Somehow the sub of it in the QuakeCon Bundle '14 doesn't have a prohibitrun shenanigans. So if you live in Germany it is the only way to have the uncensored version of it without resorting to fan patches.
-
Quake Live's 12-month pro sub is 14c on the JP store. Being a recurring sub there's little point on jumping on it unless you're actually going to play the game.
I thought Quake Live is f2p? What is the sub for?

Yeah, everyone seems to forget that MH is Capcom's second or probably top franchise along with RE.

I'm just going to shit on them until they fix USF netcode for PC.
Wondering if any MH will ind its way onto PC anytime.
Never played one. Would be interesting to try it out.

Tizoc

Eh....I dunno....
My brother's getting a PS4 mainly for FF15 and KH3 and also MGS5. The whole exclusivity thing doesn't bother me, such that I'm passive about it. Maybe it is because I don't own a Bone, but I wonder what XBone peeps feel about TR2's exclusivity?
Would TR2's sales even be good on the Bone if it wasn't an exclusive?

Turfster

Guys, guys!
GMG's deal of the day is... are you ready?
Duke nukem forever 75% off!
It's the game we've all been waiting for!
Guys?
Why are you leaving?

Knurek

So, when's the best time to sell off your card stock?
Close to the start of Winter Seal or just after the sale has started?

Lomax

Guys, guys!
GMG's deal of the day is... are you ready?
Duke nukem forever 75% off!
It's the game we've all been waiting for!
Guys?
Why are you leaving?

I could swear it was 80% off on GMG... yesterday.

Edit: Yep, I checked and it was $3.99 yesterday, $4.99 today. In a way it's appropriate for a DNF deal to actually increase the price though.

Double edit: Better yet! The "PC" version is still $3.99 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/duke-nukem-forever/ while the "Mac" version is the deal of the day for $4.99. http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/duke-nukem-forever-mac/

Deitus

Nah. I like my PS4. It has given my a dozen of hours with playtime.

I'm guessing this was unintentional because English is not your first language, but this is rather amusing in context. A dozen (12) hours of playtime is not exactly a great return on investment for a $400 console. I'm sure you meant dozens (plural), but I couldn't help but chuckle at your reply.

I don't mean to shit on the PS4, because I do believe that it will be a great console once it gets its library up to healthy levels. But right now the library just isn't there, at least for me. I'm sure for people who have different taste in games there are things to play, but for me there's little there that I wouldn't just play on PC instead. I feel the same way about the XB1 for what it's worth.

Last night I played and beat 'Gone Home'. Fantastic atmospheric game especially with a good sound system / headphones. I really enjoyed Sam's narration and the way the story was told.

Spoilers Alert:
Really expected to see Oscar's ghost through out the game but it never came through. I enjoyed that they added this part to add some additional tension within the game. The game truly was about knowing WTF happened to Sam and where did she go. Simple yet effective.

That being said, besides "Dear Esther", what other games are similar to 'Gone Home'? Been in the mood to play these kind of games lately.

Thank you.

Top Bottom