• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Turfster

This reminds me, when is the Sega bundle over, hasn't it been running for weeks? It's so annoying to go to the humble-bundle page and read this:
Code:
Promotion Unavailable
Sorry,Humble SEGA Bundle is currently unavailable in your area.

2 more days.

Just finished up Saints Row 4.
Had a lot more fun than I did with SR3.
Definitely worth the 5 bucks it cost during the sale. Actually interested in Gat out of Hell now.

While I want more SR, I... don't really want to play as Gat?
Gat's like the crazy friend we all have that's okay in small doses, but hanging out with him all the time gets exhausting.

Tellaerin

2 more days.

While I want more SR, I... don't really want to play as Gat?
Gat's like the crazy friend we all have that's okay in small doses, but hanging out with him all the time gets exhausting.

I thought you could choose to play as either Gat or Kinzie, no?

Nabs

Completed Costume Quest 2. I think this was planned as a DLC/expansion for the first CQ, then they released it as full game. It's much shorter compared to the original title, in fact I spent 8 hours to finish it, while on the first one I took something like 12 hours, without the DLC, when released with PSPlus.
There are only three main locations, all very small. The time travel factor is not used at all, since you travel back and fort only when planned, you can manipulate this only during the end-game to grab a secret costume, but is very easy to do.

Also, the game is bugged. Crashed three times, one time I managed to exit from the map, reaching a "forbidden" zone (during the fake world, near the end), also sometime the game just speedup, it's like Benny Hill.

If you liked the first one, I mean liked A LOT, grab this one only when 75% off or so.

If, otherwise, you found the original "meh", leave this on the virtual shelf.

12 hours, you sure? It took me 9 hours to beat CQ1 (with DLC) and I got 19/21 achievements. The main quest was only 6 or so hours.

I wasn't a fan of CQ2 either, but performance was waaay better than any other DF game (60fps for real). I had Vsync on + triple buffering, and it was a pretty smooth experience. No weird speedups or crashes here.

Grief.exe

I truly believe that the only real solution at this point is to either spin off Steam as its own company, or to sell it outright. It's just grown too far beyond Valve's capabilities and while they have certainly made some significant improvements this year, most of their customer service related decisions tend to amount to "make it so we can just blame it on the user." While there may be no other service waiting the in wings to take over, the fact that we're seeing companies like Telltale move away from using Steam as a primary feature of their games to me is very telling.

I've always thought a better solution would be to set up a satellite company specifically for certain necessities of Steam that would benefit from a corporate culture.

Purely for customer service, setting up consumer conventions, etc. Even just code monkeys to handle work-intensive tasks that the main Valve employees can't be bothered with, Android app for example.

Then you can keep hiring the best of the best at Valve proper to work on and develop whatever they wish.

Lomax

Most of the material is Gat.
If we can play Kinzie, I'll be happy.
Then just play as Kinzie.

Yeah, I still can't quite figure it out. If we can choose to play as Kinzie for the whole game, I'll buy it day one (especially if the story is somewhat different). If she's just a co-op character or someone you play as for a small part of the story, I'll just wait and get it cheap. I've yet to see anything conclusive either way.

Whatever happened to that project Valve was doing with those college kids, there was a blog and a site Steampipline or something. I remember it being a pseudo grad program.

But seriously it still baffles me that a company like Valve still only has 300+ employees even with making games and maintaining and updating Steam.

rtcn63

There was no link.

200_s.gif

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, I still can't quite figure it out. If we can choose to play as Kinzie for the whole game, I'll buy it day one (especially if the story is somewhat different). If she's just a co-op character or someone you play as for a small part of the story, I'll just wait and get it cheap. I've yet to see anything conclusive either way.

I'm almost 100% sure you can play Kinzie the whole game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Whatever happened to that project Valve was doing with those college kids, there was a blog and a site Steampipline or something. I remember it being a pseudo grad program.

That never went anywhere. The Community group was only updated once and that was well over a year ago, plus the site is no longer online and Archive.org's most recent cache of it reveals that it stopped being updated after a few weeks.

The amusing thing is that the Community group description still says this:

However, in just a little while, there will be a discussion posted which contains a list compiled of all the websites and tutorials we've found helpful.

ViviOggi

What makes me wary about No Man's Sky is that its mechanics and systems seem so barebones and simplistic, the economy in particular. You find stuff and sell it for money which you use to buy, judging by the examples they released, very generic and unexciting upgrades. Minecraft's longetivity stems from its almost limitless creative potential due to its elaborate crafting and building systems which NMS has none of, it's a very odd comparison to draw.

I love exploration and "walking simulators", but those games' strength is that they're generally well paced and focused on what they want to accomplish. I just don't see No Man's Sky's foundation carrying a 40-100 hour experience, like, at all.

Turfster

All you guys hating on No Man's Sky were never fans of Elite or Privateer, huh?
This is the game some of us have been waiting 20+ years for =p

Tellaerin

What makes me wary about No Man's Sky is that its mechanics and systems seem so barebones and simplistic, the economy in particular. You find stuff and sell it for money which you use to buy, judging by the examples they released, very generic and unexciting upgrades. Minecraft's longetivity stems from its almost limitless creative potential due to its elaborate crafting and building systems which NMS has none of, it's a very odd comparison to draw.

I love exploration and "walking simulators", but those games' strength is that they're generally well paced and focused on what they want to accomplish. I just don't see No Man's Sky's foundation carrying a 40-100 hour experience, like, at all.

You know, I'd love a game combining the kind of procedural world generation they're using in NMS with Minecraft-style building and crafting.

I'd be totally happy roaming the galaxy looking for strange and interesting places and creatures and taking photos of neat finds, myself. Though I'm probably not typical in that.

Yep. I was disappointed that the new Elite doesn't have planetary landings yet, so No Man's Sky is one of my most anticipated things now.
The trailers have been amazing so far.

Zafir

I'm enjoying the new Elite. :p

My issue with No Man's Sky at the moment is, they haven't showed any gameplay. It's just been flying/walking through a world not doing much. I also have my reservations about procedurally generated worlds.

Until they show more than just exploration, I find myself unexcited.

Edit: It's worth noting I only saw the main key note at PSX, so if they did show actual gameplay afterwards, I didn't see it. Will have to watch if that is the case.

Parsnip

My issue with No Man's Sky at the moment is, they haven't showed any gameplay. It's just been flying/walking through a world not doing much. I also have my reservations about procedurally generated worlds.

Flying and walking through the world is gameplay though.

Wok

My problem with No Man's Sky is that the game reminds me of all the previous disappointments I had in gaming: from Superman on Nintendo 64 to Spore on PC. Wonderful promises in the previews, utter disappointment in the end.

Arthea

no its very puzzle-y, and not easy either, those puzzles are quite obtuse

you might just sold me on it, I dismissed it before as a walking sim. Puzzley is good, but how much obtuse? like not logical, or just not obvious.

I liked it. It stumbles here and there, overall it's good though. Interesting game experiments should be rewarded if the effort was put in.

Your pinballs are RPG archetypes. You start off with a Rogue-pinball whose special power is to unleash her dog (Like multiball in pinball.) As you progress you unlock different character classes, like the warrior, who also is a physically larger pinball. You can unlock characters by progressing through the story or by unlocking them with the gold you get.

Your XP is tied directly to your score and losing a round punishes you by taking a bunch of your "XP" away. Altogether the idea of shimming RPG mechanics into a Pinball game went very well, but it did take away from the Pinball experience. Generally speaking, levels (pinball fields) are far more sparse than other pinball games. Thankfully you can nudge your ball in a given direction by giving it some inflection. Naturally, the RPG class of the ball greatly affects this (i.e. the rogue can be adjusted far more than a warrior.)

I'm not the biggest pinball fan, but I still liked this game a bunch. And as I said before, games that experiment and invest a significant amount of time into them should be rewarded.
Thanks for posting impressions :)
I still need to bug you some about controls, as I've seen someone complaining that they are kinda bad. Are controls responsive and good? no crashing problems too?

I don't particularly like losing xp in games, I must admit, whatever reasoning, though

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
In a good Riven-way, or an inflatable-duck, syrup-on-the-cat-hair way?

you might just sold me on it, I dismissed it before as a walking sim. Puzzley is good, but how much obtuse? like not logical, or just not obvious.

Most of it is perfectly logical, just revolves around awareness. A majority of the puzzles come in the form of the crime scene sequences, which require you to correctly identify the order in which events happened. Sometimes this is difficult to figure out, but it mostly hinges on paying attention to details - who is holding what, what happened in the spot previously, etc. Sometimes it takes trial or two to figure things out but hardly repetitive or obtuse.

Some other puzzles require some abstract thinking but again are all based around situational awareness. No inflatable duck puzzles here.

Arthea

you guys amaze me, not all games need story, since when space sims are played for a story?
I just imagined someone playing stars! for that reason (><)
or you wouldn't play even tetris because, you can't possibly justify spending so much time with so simple mechanics and with no story? That's not good example, I know, but it's hard for me to understand how somebody could never to play a game with countless hours spent with it without any narrative whatsoever or need for it.

Most of it is perfectly logical, just revolves around awareness. A majority of the puzzles come in the form of the crime scene sequences, which require you to correctly identify the order in which events happened. Sometimes this is difficult to figure out, but it mostly hinges on paying attention to details - who is holding what, what happened in the spot previously, etc. Sometimes it takes trial or two to figure things out but hardly repetitive or obtuse.

Some other puzzles require some abstract thinking but again are all based around situational awareness. No inflatable duck puzzles here.

thanks, wishlisted

Zafir

Depends on the game. I'm sure that a lot of emergent narrative will arise from NMS:
Of course, but I'm not sure I'd call it a game if all you're doing is exploring.

My point is more that they haven't really shown me the meat of the game, as I think it's fairly obvious that exploration isn't just it(Trading has been mentioned and there's obviously meant to be some combat). I find it hard to be excited on just ideas, especially when it's a relatively unknown developer who hasn't really done anything on this scale before. Then there's the issue of a release date.

I'm sure it'll probably turn out fine, and pretty good. However, as someone who doesn't really get that excited about stuff any more, I find it especially hard to be with not much to go on. :p I'm too much of a pessimist, I suppose.
you guys amaze me, not all games need story, since when space sims are played for a story?
I just imagined someone playing stars! for that reason (><)
or you wouldn't play even tetris because, you can't possibly justify spending so much time with so simple mechanics and with no story? That's not good example, I know, but it's hard for me to understand how somebody could never to play a game with countless hours spent with it without any narrative whatsoever or need for it.
If you're referring to what I said. I think you COMPLETELY missed why I said what I said. :p Read my other posts.

Edit: To add if I didn't make my self very clear. I meant that just exploration would probably be okay if it was mixed with something like a story. Like Gone Home as an example. Where as exploration alone doesn't seem very gamey, more like those experiences/tech demos. I didn't mean games need it to exist. If I thought that why would I be playing and enjoying Elite which I'd imagine is the kind of style No Man's Sky will be aiming for.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In a good Riven-way, or an inflatable-duck, syrup-on-the-cat-hair way?

the good way

its both logical but not obvious, if that makes sense. I havent finished it tho

Grief.exe

Anyone have a Mionix Naos 7000 or 8200? I've never really looked into them before, but I love the grip on there.

I have a massive hand, are these as big as they look? What is the sensor quality.

Phawx

Thanks for posting impressions :)
I still need to bug you some about controls, as I've seen someone complaining that they are kinda bad. Are controls responsive and good? no crashing problems too?

I don't particularly like losing xp in games, I must admit, whatever reasoning, though

I guess I didn't comment on the controls, outside of putting inflection on the ball, because they were fine. I'm really not certain why someone would complain about controls. Though I guess because I used a 360 controller?

I don't know, seemed very responsive and accurate.

Top Bottom