• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Pachimari

You're not talking about it being one of the final Dailies, are you? Today is the last day; regular programming resumes in 23.5 hours. That's why the primary block of Dailies end in 24 hours rather than the usual 48.

He's talking about Ground Zeroes releasing after the Autumn sales.

Though, I don't know where he got that information from.

Dr Dogg

Or alternative thinking. Ground Zeroes has a release date of 18th December, which happens to be a Thursday, with the probability of being the Winter Steam Sale start day. Just throwing that out there.

Oh yeah buy Blacklist if you haven't already and are pining for a decent SC game. The Charlie side missions are awful but a real return to form.

AHA-Lambda

Or alternative thinking. Ground Zeroes has a release date of 18th December, which happens to be a Thursday, with the probability of being the Winter Steam Sale start day. Just throwing that out there.

This makes a lot more sense

bet there's no discount

It is confirmed that there will be a Game Awards Sale. I'm guessing it will be similar to the VGX sale that occured last year. There is a page for streaming the event and below will be some sales for games of the same series that have been shown at the show iirc.

The sale should last a whole day, so you should see it at some point. If you don't, I could pay for what you like for you as a gift, as long as I can trust you to pay me back via paypal

I'll try to be up for it anyway, but if not I'll PM you, I'm good for it - other gaffers can vouch for me :p

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So Ground Zeroes will be up for pre-purchase on December 02, because it's the Winter Sales on December 18?

No. If anything, it will happen the way Dogg said it would. It won't have a pre-purchase period and will likely be released at the start of the winter sales.

Nzyme32

Also, if anyone is interested or backed SUPERHOT - it is shaping up really well. For those that don't know, it is a FPS that has time dependant on any and all movement. It is also being made for VR. Here are a bunch of animated gifs

SZATdZb.gif

derExperte

Pandora Tomorrow is the best Splinter Cell easily. Also the strongest and most memorable narrative by about ten miles. I mean I can actually outline the entire plot in pretty crisp detail almost ten years later. Fisher and Lambert's back-and-forth has yet to be matched as well and that doesn't just mean in Splinter Cell.

Hahaha. We won't fall for this!

Yes, but I suggest these DLC's for single player...

I suggest only getting Lost Adventurer. And even that is borderline.

Pachimari

Oh, how annoying. Now I have thought Ground Zeroes would be up for pre-purchase starting tomorrow, and then it turns out to just be a guess.

What am I putting aside money for then, on to Garden Warfare!

Maniac

Banned
To be as fair to them as possible, the situation is this:

1) A group of people who've never made a game before made a deal with Yogcast to make a game based on them.

2) That group of people went to Kickstarter to get funding for the game, funding that was not only necessary to make their super, super ambitious game but also to pay Yogcast to license their intellectual property.

3) That group of people who've never made a game, failed to make their super, super ambitious game. Yogcast chose not to refund or return the money they made off licensing.

That's a completely fair version of the situation, I think. Having said that:

It takes a massive pair of stonefruits to put your name on anything, even if for charity, after that fiasco. They've ruined their brand for people who aren't die-hards fans.

It's worse than that. The devs gave the Yogscast lads a sizeable sum from the KS campaign so they could do the rewards and all that, but they never did. They never tried. They were also supposed to contract some people for it iirc, but again, never happened and the few hundred grand Yogs got just up n' vanished.

Dr Dogg

Speaking about Tomb Raider and DLC the Japanese language pack is still only -50% off :(

Speaking of which (that's a lot of speaking in one post) from anyone who owns it what does Japanese Lara sound like?

This makes a lot more sense

bet there's no discount
P

I would say -10% off at the most was what I would have been expecting for a prepurchase discount but no idea now. Eh I'm buying it even it it ends up £19.99 right off the bat (I've got Metal Gear issues).

Lain

I grabbed the Splinter Cell Blacklist Deluxe, thinking it included the DLC, but I guess it doesn't.

ExoSoul

Banned
Sure, sorry for the late reply, I was comuting from work.

No problem ^_^

I won't focus much on the looks and performance because it was a beta and I want to give Ubi the benefit of doubt.
As for gameplay the driving was a bit wonky at first but you'll grow into it though some cars are easier to handle to begin with. The fact that the cars have stats is a bit confusing, I played for a very long time and was never able to figure out when a stat increase was noticeable but some cars seem to have a specific build in mind.
That being said you should be able to do with just about any car, if you need more performance out of your car there's events scattered around the world (almost too many) that will give you better parts for the car depending on how you perform.

The story, from the little slice we got to see, is serviceable at best. Just a reason for you to go to certain places, do certain activities and a meaning to justify why you can't access all types of cars to begin with. It doesn't help that when you go too long without doing a mission you have someone calling you constantly saying "Hey, why aren't you here? You really should be here, hurry up!"

Driving around: maybe the most important fact. The game as a disappointing way to present scenery though that could be understandable due to it's scale, I remember eagerly making my way to the Niagara Falls only to realise I couldn't actually see them but was instead greeted with a baked penning scene.
That's not to say it's bad, it's good but in the places you wouldn't expect, instead of shinning when you go to a landmark the game actually shines when you explore the areas. It gives you the roads you've dreampt of driving in almost all the setting you could imagine. I remember driving down the Strip and even though it wasn't right on scale it was still a sight to be hold, or seeing a monastery looking house in the middle of the desert (actually went on google maps to see if I could find it). In short it's best when it depicts the mundane.
There's a problem though that did get on my nerves some times: inexplicably crash resistant objects.

Microtransactions... It wasn't the story that made me feel like passing the game, it's not a great racing game but it's a very good game to cruise around and just enjoy driving and I can appreciate that. What I can't appreciate is the way the economy in the game smothers you by making content out of your financial reach and then flaunters how easy it is to acquire the things you want "if only" your willing to pay a bit more, a bit more for a new car, a bit more for customisation, a bit more for a new vehicle mod.
Sure, you can buy all those things with in game currency but it'll take dedication and grinding because the amount of money you'll receive throughout the game will not be enough. This is what soured my experience.

Sorry if It was longer than you'd expect ^_^;

AHA-Lambda

I decided against my cheap AC Unity order, that horrible realisation that even if the game is cheap it's still going to be rubbish. Maybe it's cos it wasn't on Steam that I had this moment of clarity :p

Also, if anyone is interested or backed SUPERHOT - it is shaping up really well. For those that don't know, it is a FPS that has time dependant on any and all movement. It is also being made for VR. Here are a bunch of animated gifs

SZATdZb.gif

That sounds awesome :)

Comes to AUD$128 shipped and I think I could make half of that back with FC4. Do you know what the deal is with the game? Does the redemption code come with the drive or does Amazon e-mail it once the order has been shipped?

Edit: Google's cache of the page mentions Far Cry 4 but the current version does not. Oh well. :(

Far as I can tell, Amazon will email you a code which you then have to use on the uplay store to bring the price of the game down to zero and 'purchase' it from there. That's what was written on the Samsung page for the offer anyway.

As for Amazon, this is the link for the Far Cry 4 promo and it still lists the 250 as a qualifying product.

I demand that you label this drive after me if you purchase it.

Worst voice actor prize goes toooooo

that guy who voices the pig with wings in Valkyria Chronicles.

5th day of no purchases in Valve Autumn Wallet Saver

Turfster

that guy who voices the pig with wings in Valkyria Chronicles.

Wait, you're playing with English voices?
Why would you do that? All the voices are horrible.
Also, worst English one is the old guy in the cemetery.
They turned him into a creepy pervert for the dub =p

I decided against my cheap AC Unity order, that horrible realisation that even if the game is cheap it's still going to be rubbish. Maybe it's cos it wasn't on Steam that I had this moment of clarity :p

I finished it 99% yesterday (because 1% is behind that horrible app, that deletes your progress) and I have to say:

Wait. While the core gameplay is cool and similar to AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations, the performance is not that good and is still riddled with bugs. Wait a few months till that is fixed.

denx

Really? That's good then. I just looked at the game's page after the purchase and the 2 DLCs didn't show up as owned.

They're included as part of the Deluxe edition, don't worry.

I've been playing the game with the english dub only. Guess it's time to change to japanese.

Arthea

Somebody remind me again why this was supposed to be an awful sale and factually worse than previous ones.

I have no clue (><)
It was a good sale for me, I bought quite a few games after adamantly deciding not to buy anything till winter sale... again

Yeah I bet that the japanese pig with wings is solid gold, I gotta try those japanese voices

Chariot

Read this guy for he is writing truth.

Top Bottom