• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Arthea

VAT is supposed to be included in price and isn't new thing.

Even US based bundles has to pay VAT for EU purchases. Humble Bundles just doesn't add it to price, but pays out of price you set.

Valve used to add it before it was priced in euros. (They made branch in Luxembourg to take advantage of small VAT there, thought this is ending soon as next year they have to pay it according to purchasers country, this applies to EU-bundles too)
Are you sure about this? because I'm 100% sure that nobody pays 25% out of their pocket, just because. And we have to pay "tax" on all EU based bundles when nobody else pays it, so you clearly are missing something here. If I was to use VPN, I wouldn't pay more even now, but that's just too much hassle.

Zia

Year Walk was 30 minutes long :l
Also, is there a secret ending? It says there's a secret during end credits.

I've played through the game twice and I'd have to basically speed run it to finish in 30 minutes. There is another, more exhaustive ending. Look through the companion.

Oh is this just steam GOTY? Since Killer is Dead came out last year I thought. If that's the case, I would say Transistor, This War of Mine, Super Time Force Ultra, Trails in the Sky, and Valkyria Chronicles had the most hype in here at the time of their release? I haven't played any of them, so I can't really say anything substantial about them. I'd pick Trails or Valkyria but that's just because I love jrpgs.

Yes, I was mainly talking about my personal GOTY list, which will inevitably be sent to MRORANGE as Steam GOTY voting most likely... I normally wander into the GAF GOTY thread too and depending, I think PC releases may qualify for normal GAF GOTY voting as if you couldn't play them on previously, they're still technically released to you during that year?

Anyway...

I started STFU, but it didn't click like I hoped it would. It's been sitting in my "I should try that again" pile.

I already played Transistor and it didn't impress me enough to make it onto my GOTY list even though there are still 3 slots open.

I could check out This War of Mine, that's not a bad idea...

Trails in the Sky might be too long to squeeze into the few weeks before the end of the year and I haven't been really into JRPGs (and as much hate as I'll get for this, I'm more interested in FFXIII-2 than TitS at the moment because I had intended to try to work through that last December, but my shiny new PC kept distracting me from my trusty PS3).

And VC? I'll probably never bother with it. I seriously bought it to support SEGA porting things to Steam in hopes of one day seeing the rest of their Platinum developed titles make the jump.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Year Walk was 30 minutes long :l
Also, is there a secret ending? It says there's a secret during end credits.

You need to read the story you unlocked after beating the game to figure out the answer to a puzzle that was impossible to solve during your first run. Completing that puzzle gives you the alternative ending.

It's going to last past Xmas. It's like 1.5 or 2 weeks long. Can't remember which is the longer this or the summer one.

edit: omg saving the edit actually refreshes it automatically instead of me having to refresh manually!

Bigby

Is there a chance the Winter sales will last until Christmas?

I can't remember how many days the sale usually goes on for.

Last year it lasted from 19th to 2nd.

It's going to last past Xmas. It's like 1.5 or 2 weeks long. Can't remember which is the longer this or the summer one.

edit: omg saving the edit actually refreshes it automatically instead of me having to refresh manually!

Yeah, there was a thread about it last week with a response that it will be looked into.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
BTW guys, how Shadow of Chernobyl runs on not so hot PCs, let's say very low tier ones, I want to gift it, but I'm not sure said person can run it.

How low are we talking? SoC is a little chunky regardless but it came out in 2007. There are Russians that use toasters as space heaters and computers to play it on. The minimum recs put it at using a GeForce FX5700, which was a line of cards I was using back in 2003/4.

Do you mean the box one?

Yep!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, I was mainly talking about my personal GOTY list, which will inevitably be sent to MRORANGE as Steam GOTY voting most likely... I normally wander into the GAF GOTY thread too and depending, I think PC releases may qualify for normal GAF GOTY voting as if you couldn't play them on previously, they're still technically released to you during that year?
Is that how it works? I've never really bothered with GOTY threads because usually I'm playing backlogged or retro games anyway.

Shame about STFU, I thought that would've been up your alley out of the 5 I listed. You're probably right about Trails maybe being too long to fit in, I think it's like 30+ hours to beat? I forgot FFXIII-2 was coming out soon, I thought it was 2015 for some reason. That might be a little long to fit in too though.

Is that how it works? I've never really bothered with GOTY threads because usually I'm playing backlogged or retro games anyway.

Shame about STFU, I thought that would've been up your alley out of the 5 I listed. You're probably right about Trails maybe being too long to fit in, I think it's like 30+ hours to beat? I forgot FFXIII-2 was coming out soon, I thought it was 2015 for some reason. That might be a little long to fit in too though.

I remember someone telling me you could get the Platinum on PS3 in about 40 hours (instead of the 100+ FFXIII took). So it's possible... I mean, I am pretty much out on vacation for the next 3 weeks, so I should have a bunch of gaming time. :3

With STFU, there was just something blocking me from understanding how to play properly and I ended up feeling like the equivalent of a button masher in a fighting game... and that wasn't fun.

Vuze

Ha, I recently noticed that too, I always thought my browser was bugged or sth since it worked on my phone lol

BruteUA

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Loren The Amazon Princess -- MB-400A6B8F88E0E9B5 - Taken by Scipius. 19 entrants total.

t1418082812z1.png

Spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Muffin Knight -- MB-9852165C7C28295A - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Super Trench Attack! -- MB-7C985ECF160DE19D - Taken by 73V3N. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Demonicon: The Dark Eye -- MB-16390B82ABB9968C - Taken by XShagrath. 9 entrants total.
If you can get past some awful animations and hilarious voice acting this game is actually pretty good
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-9DD24DBAAEB851B1 - Taken by Vazduh. 6 entrants total.

t1418073032z1.png

Phawx

My let's play of TinyKeep is up.

You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KsvKmiZdd4

Quick Impressions:

TinyKeep is dope. It's a casual action Roguelike. While I didn't get a chance to beat the second boss (the one with the fire-red sword) I'm already really liking this game. Blocking and attacking require precision timing in the later stages, but it's a little relaxed in the earlier stages while you develop your upgrades.

And again, because I only played up to the 4th? level, I only had one set of shield and sword. I'm not entriely sure if I get the neato sword by defeating the big-bad-guy, but I would hope so.

In any event, it's not really necessary. It's an action-y, arcade-y Roguelike. Very easy to dip into and play but still has some meat on it to try and master.

Luring HUGE enemies into traps. Triggering massive fights. Spilling fire on to your enemies. Tight controls!

Recommended.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I remember someone telling me you could get the Platinum on PS3 in about 40 hours (instead of the 100+ FFXIII took). So it's possible... I mean, I am pretty much out on vacation for the next 3 weeks, so I should have a bunch of gaming time. :3

With STFU, there was just something blocking me from understanding how to play properly and I ended up feeling like the equivalent of a button masher in a fighting game... and that wasn't fun.
Judging from How Long To Beat, seems like it takes ~70 hours to 100%... 100%ing Trails is more like 55 hours instead of the 30 I thought, damn.

I get that feeling. Felt like that when I was playing DMC3 for the first time when I was like 13.

madjoki

Are you sure about this? because I'm 100% sure that nobody pays 25% out of their pocket, just because. And we have to pay "tax" on all EU based bundles when nobody else pays it, so you clearly are missing something here. If I was to use VPN, I wouldn't pay more even now, but that's just too much hassle.

Yes. Usually it's added to price, but Humble Bundle has chosen to deduct from amount you set. (So you set price is with VAT already added)

EU laws require VAT to be paid if you're selling digital services to EU countries.

It's also written in frontpage of Humble Bundle:
All major credit cards accepted. Payments via bank account are also supported by PayPal and Amazon Payments. The payment processor will deduct a fee from your payment before we receive it. Fees typically range between 1.9% and 5% + $0.05 to $0.30 depending on a number of factors including your location, purchase price, and payment method. We deduct VAT where applicable.

and in terms of service (because you totally read those, right?)

Your total price will include the price of the Product plus any applicable sales or use taxes in effect on the time of purchase, and based on country data you provide on your download page. Humble Bundle reserves the right to change prices and availability of Products at any time. If you are not located in either the US or the EU your purchase price will be the full amount of the price posted and failure on Humble Bundle's part to invoice you for any applicable sales and use taxes, value added taxes and other taxes does not relieve you of the liability to pay such taxes, and you must pay to the applicable taxing authority any such taxes which may be due as a result of your purchase through the Service.

-watches 4 second and closes tab- that was complete gibberish.
Yes. IIRC all of them are good, but SOC is consiferef the best.

Yes, is the first one, aka the best one.

not really, but there's one at the top for sure since he's won awards at igf and stuff

all three are good, it's just that clear sky has some frustrating elements in it

and shadow of chernobyl is my favorite at least
ah okay. This is 1 of the reason i like when games are numbered. easier to tell which is which :)

Scipius

ah okay. This is 1 of the reason i like when games are numbered. easier to tell which is which :)

Numbers are not really applicable to STALKER; SoC is the main game, the others are halfway between new games and expansion packs. Clear Sky is the prologue and Call of Pripyat is the epilogue.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hmmm, for some reason I thought there would be more security on this...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
you should add a button to community profile that raises your game count by one each time you press it

Oh god, JaseC would get injured from clicking though.

So, a guy is offering me up to 13 keys for TEW if I contact him fast, but he only owns CoD: Black Ops2 (1300 hours played, but only 3 cheevos on MP, btw), CoD:WaW and Borderlands 2 and has no comments on his Steam profile…

Not sure if this is the most blatant scammer I've personally dealt with or just someone's second account to hide his CoD shame :lol

Top Bottom