• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Uzzy

Why? Why...?

DyigFUy.png

Arthea

I really really hate when devs do that. I mean why would I want to play through the same game three times for one achievement? And of course it's the last one, actually it's better than similar achievement of Dead Hungry Dinner, where I think you have to play a story mode 10 times to get it, but not by much.

Chariot

But I still got divinity original sin for 10 bucks.
I got Bosshi for less :,<
A bit jelly that I paid more than twice as much for D:OS
I really really hate when devs do that. I mean why would I want to play through the same game three times for one achievement? And of course it's the last one, actually it's better than similar achievement of Dead Hungry Dinner, where I think you have to play a story mode 10 times to get it, but not by much.
Some achievements are really silly or unnecessary tedious to get.

Jawmuncher

I received the order confirmation e-mail with both games on it, but only South Park had the cd key. Maybe because it was purchased last Saturday night and it is too early for them to process the key. Hopefully. And I noticed that today they removed LC from the BOGO promo.

Hopefully them removing the game from the promotion didn't get you caught in the middle of something.
Though it's still available so there shouldn't be a issue.
http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_...8800/LARA-CROFT-AND-THE-TEMPLE-OF-OSIRIS.html

autoduelist

Curious for sub $5 strategy recommendations. Don't care what genre (fantasy, realistic, sci-fi, etc)... just want something nice and deep (and good). Still kicking myself for not picking up Dungeon of the Endless during the last sale, though thankful there's another coming up.

Got two copies of Insurgency left over from the Humble Bundle if anyone's interested:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=R8t3mHECqGBRhEUf

Took one, thanks.

Hey.

Anyone had this problem before? I have a 1080p resolution on my PC, but somehow every program I start uses a 800*600 one it seems and looks totally blurry. Besides Steam.
Whether its Outlook, mIRC or Total Commander.

Nzyme32

Would anyone happen to know if there is a particular day or time of day when Steam has a higher than average activity? Like when would the store page be getting the most views and visits?

Sunday at around 6pm / 7pm gmt seems to be the peak time for the week I think. If numbers are what you are after, that is going to be far increased during the Winter Sale from December 18th (I'm guessing) onwards, and I'd imagine a lot more unpredictable due to it being the holiday season.

That reminds me, there was a thread I was going to post these into but forgot - here are the numbers for the Sunday (30/11) of the autumn sale around peak time.

SE9IApv.png

sgSuoOS.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
499 games, and FFXIII-2 tomorrow will make 500. Get in.

Anyway, anyone interested in some co-op play of Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris in 40 minutes?

13-2 is out tomorow? wheres mah key GMG >_>

Nzyme32

It probably was posted already that Alien: Isolation is on sale at gamersgate -50%

and I'm speechless after seeing gmg daily, that's almost perfect "the wat" moment.

That is one of the few games I got at almost full price, assuming there was no chance of it going on sale for a while.... I should have known better :p

Now I'm ever curious about the DLC and if it would be worth using the upgrade preorder thing since I enjoyed the game so much. But then again, what are the odds of that stuff being good...

Accoun

That was the main reason I bought that magazine, next to the free games. The articles themselves weren't that good and I am pretty sure that GS was bought by publishers since the review texts were sometimes vastly different from the actual score. When I started exploring the internet I stopped buying it regularly. And when I discovered GAF I stopped even touching game magazines. So SLOW.

Gamestar... I don't think I ever bought it. I was actually buying German mags whenever I was in Germany (usually when going to Italy/Austria for winter break skiing), but I'm not sure If I ever bought that one. I'm sure I have some PC Games, some Games Aktuell (one issue had Bandits: Phoenix Rising and Breath Of Fire 4 on cover disc!) and even an issue of *coughcough* Computer Bild Spiele (it's probably in pieces, though). Outside of Germany, I was in London once and bought an issue of PC Zone (the magazine this masterpiece comes from). Was pretty cool and -since it was in English- easier to read. Shame they closed down. Not that I could read them again anyway, because it was the only time I've been to UK, but still...

Tenrius

Hey.

Anyone had this problem before? I have a 1080p resolution on my PC, but somehow every program I start uses a 800*600 one it seems and looks totally blurry. Besides Steam.
Whether its Outlook, mIRC or Total Commander.

Most programs looked blurry for me after I upgraded to Windows 8.1, this helped:

Go to Control Panel
Click "Appearances and Personalization"
Click Display
Check "Let me choose scaling level for all displays"

Got unchecked after the update for some reason.

Also, from the same thread this suggestion came from (http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/810938810627691520/):

Have you installed the Windows 8.1 version of your graphics drivers yet? Uninstall (clean install if you have nVidia) your W8 graphics card drivers first.

God, how I hate these people. Don't have anything to say? Don't say anything instead of trying to look like a goddamn expert. I did a thread about this phenomenon last year: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734461.

Chariot

Gamestar... I don't think I ever bought it. I was actually buying German mags whenever I was in Germany (usually when going to Italy/Austria for winter break skiing), but I'm not sure If I ever bought that one. I'm sure I have some PC Games, some Games Aktuell (one issue had Bandits: Phoenix Rising and Breath Of Fire 4 on cover disc!) and even an issue of *coughcough* Computer Bild Spiele (it's probably in pieces, though). Outside of Germany, I was in London once and bought an issue of PC Zone (the magazine this masterpiece comes from). Was pretty cool and -since it was in English- easier to read. Shame they closed down. Not that I could read them again anyway, because it was the only time I've been to UK, but still...
Computer Bild Spiele isn't that bad for a gaming magazine. Just the mother paper and he publisher are awful.

Curious for sub $5 strategy recommendations. Don't care what genre (fantasy, realistic, sci-fi, etc)... just want something nice and deep (and good). Still kicking myself for not picking up Dungeon of the Endless during the last sale, though thankful there's another coming up.
Turnbased only or are RTS fine too? Focus on economy and diplomacy or more war? How about RPG and action elements?

Jawmuncher

Computer Bild Spiele isn't that bad for a gaming magazine. Just the mother paper and he publisher are awful.

Turnbased only or are RTS fine too? Focus on economy and diplomacy or more war? How about RPG and action elements?

I don't think he want's LLTQ though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, just checked and it happens for me as well.

jagged alliance 2 gold aswell, I just did a double take earlier when the page said I didnt own it. different subs or something

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone with "Painkiller: Black Edition" has the same problem as me, that Steam isn't showing this as "In Library" on the store page?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3200/

The problem here is that the store page is actually for "Painkiller: Gold Edition" (appID = 3200) that was renamed "Painkiller: Black Edition". There is another app called "Painkiller: Black Edition" (appID = 39530).

Purchasing on the page is for subID 2234, which includes "Painkiller: Black Edition" (appID = 39530). Steam's "Dynamic Store Update" works in the same way that Enhanced Steam used to with it's highlighting. It looks to see if your account owns the AppID in question.

Confused yet? It's kind of a cluster. Basically, the only way to get that game to show up "In Library" properly is to have purchased it before it became "Black Edition", as all of the subs that contain the correct AppID have been removed from Steam.

It's a pretty easy fix, really. They simply need to delist app 3200 and replace it with app 39530.

BHK3

Banned
Talos Principle reviews are going up

4.5/5 from PCWorld

Destructoid - 8/10

Choice boxart quotes -

"Portal changed puzzles forever, Talos Principle is the best puzzle since Portal"

"10-12 hours(pcworld) 20 hours(destructoid) and there's still puzzles to be done"

"Good story"

"Listening to god leads to one ending, listening to the serpent leads to another, there's also a 3rd secret ending"

Of course I heavily shortened the quotes for my own comical reasons, good to see the article had more screens though. I really hope Serious Sam 4 look's this clean, SS3 had god awful filters on some missions that really dragged the visuals down.

Question: if I buy a retail copy of Viva Pinata, is there any way to install or download via a key or something so I don't need to use a DVD drive?

I don't have a DVD drive on this desktop.

Talos Principle reviews are going up

4.5/5 from PCWorld

Destructoid - 8/10

Choice boxart quotes -

"Portal changed puzzles forever, Talos Principle is the best puzzle since Portal"

"10-12 hours(pcworld) 20 hours(destructoid) and there's still puzzles to be done"

"Good story"

"Listening to god leads to one ending, listening to the serpent leads to another, there's also a 3rd secret ending"

Of course I heavily shortened the quotes for my own comical reasons, good to see the article had more screens though. I really hope Serious Sam 4 look's this clean, SS3 had god awful filters on some missions that really dragged the visuals down.

This has a gifting lock, right?

Speevy

Banned
A lot of shit, some of it good shit, some of it bad shit.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 25 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Super Trench Attack -- MB-616FDD6A10421EEF - Taken by autoduelist. 1 entrants total.
Syder Arcade -- MB-7C672EA9E65EC611 - Taken by Hanzou. 1 entrants total.
Space Hack -- MB-1FBF8482CE7DE5D8
Chains -- MB-64EF3058AA13D2BD
Loren The Amazon Princess -- MB-51908B8C0257362D - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 10 entrants total.
Real Boxing -- MB-06152496DFE373E7 - Taken by A Fish Aficionado. 1 entrants total.
Retro-Pixel Castles -- MB-034C8CEF4D99E841 - Taken by freshVeggie. 1 entrants total.
Syberia -- MB-ACF9067BBC0B2DE8 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Muffin Knight -- MB-67091AD904E0838D - Taken by Tesseract. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Demonicon: The Dark Eye -- MB-36A6831D27BBCA6B - Taken by Bayonetta. 7 entrants total.
Crash Time 2 -- MB-A3DE3D26CD1AF3D5
Kraven Manor -- MB-0721E42C81206A7C - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
FATE: The Cursed King -- MB-D543F33D003A5857 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Crimsonland -- MB-47AEFA75BBD60F18 - Taken by didamangi. 2 entrants total.
Alone In The Dark -- MB-A87395E9A25F5F77 - Taken by nightstorm. 4 entrants total.
Syberia II -- MB-6E9AE4480D3C4D0A - Taken by orthodoxy1095. 1 entrants total.
Haegemonia: Legions of Iron -- MB-012CB1E025BFD94E - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Year Walk -- MB-DA1563CA542A0772 - Taken by Yrael. 4 entrants total.
Deadlings - Rotten Edition -- MB-397E43CBC38329E7 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 3 entrants total.
Pixel Piracy -- MB-66B67C63A9C0DFEB - Taken by ExoSoul. 4 entrants total.
Nom Nom Galaxy -- MB-5438ED5C49D255B8 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 5 entrants total.
Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space -- MB-D34DB66E1B50F98D - Taken by redlacs. 3 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-876D6A78A5099ACE - Taken by RyanPierre. 7 entrants total.
Obulis -- MB-77C55F66A1D0D9A7
Return to Mysterious Island -- MB-E303753F09C49066 - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.

t1418095052z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-A92826C76BA15EF2 - Taken by texhnolyze. 4 entrants total.
Soundodger Plus -- MB-C481F8690B473467 - Taken by NihonTiger90. 7 entrants total.
Dreamcast Collection -- MB-C481F8690B473467 - Taken by NihonTiger90. 7 entrants total.
Lunar Flight -- MB-3C92E1CEB8FCC366 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Dreamcast Collection was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1418085332z1.png

Top Bottom