• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Parsnip

I mean the character. The ass-kicking, dual pistol wielding, Keeley Hawes voiced aristocratic archaeologist. Anyway, two hour report on Lara Croft: TOO. I'm certainly enjoying it, but it may be a little short in terms of length. I've already done two of the five optional challenge tombs, and they weren't very challenging. Also of note, three ctd's in those two hours, which is a bit depressing.

Oh, they got Keeley back for this?
I'm happy to hear that, too bad that the main TR series will still have Camilla Luddington.

Turfster

I mean the character. The ass-kicking, dual pistol wielding, Keeley Hawes voiced aristocratic archaeologist. Anyway, two hour report on Lara Croft: TOO. I'm certainly enjoying it, but it may be a little short in terms of length. I've already done two of the five optional challenge tombs, and they weren't very challenging. Also of note, three ctd's in those two hours, which is a bit depressing.

Ouch.
Well, I don't feel so bad about missing the 30% off preorder now.

H
I own Dying Light and Evolve preorders, but I only really got Evolve cause it was a price mistake.
Check these out. Some nice gameplay videos and a new trailer.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_dying_light_story_trailer-16114_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_dying_light_gameplay_presentation-14422_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_dying_light_in_the_spotlight-15482_en.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIOoIrUqe0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3jO7OiXfFM

Really digging the city and the fast paced parkouring.
-
Hello steamgaf, have been a lurker for a year now and got accepted yesterday, here's a gift :)
Welcome to the pit of backlogs and late bloom of Japanese games.
-
The cheat menu in Red Faction Guerrilla works now after today's update, man I love this game.
http://a.pomf.se/vufpgy.webm
A couple more Red Faction Guerrilla webm's. Mostly showcasing the super jump and super jetpack cheats.
http://a.pomf.se/clkprg.webm
http://a.pomf.se/zsruje.webm
http://a.pomf.se/uczlbe.webm
This looks fun! You should keep the audio next time though. Adds more to it.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Ach so ;)
Pretty professional setup you have. Nice. Ain't there more keybinds for a deep game like elite than your mini kb provides though?

I don't need the keyboard at all most of the times. With all the buttons on the Controllers and the use of Voice Attack almost all fronts are covered. And the Spaceship UI is also great in Elite so you can do most stuff with your Joystick without using a keyboard.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SPACE HACK -- MB-9F344028BE9803A0 - Taken by factorone. 2 entrants total.
SWEET LILY DREAMS -- MB-9C9F032281EB9CC4 - Taken by data. 1 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-F5F8BB18E24C728E - Taken by topyy. 17 entrants total.
Alone In The Dark -- MB-59042A86DA0554CC - Taken by rainking187. 15 entrants total.
Retro-Pixel Castles -- MB-989C5DB4B3294333 - Taken by orthodoxy1095. 4 entrants total.
Super Trench Attack! -- MB-85ED4BE15DD159AE - Taken by Milamber. 3 entrants total.
KNIGHTSHIFT -- MB-F986768A7A343C14 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Muffin Knight -- MB-B78C4C3442CE6EDB - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
Demonicon The Dark Eye -- MB-01EA855738272F8C - Taken by DarKshodaN. 15 entrants total.
ELVEN LEGACY -- MB-43FAE755A4CF069B - Taken by TheTrain. 2 entrants total.
CRASH TIME 2 -- MB-B40CDC34305B1A7A - Taken by gaiadyne. 2 entrants total.

t1418098412z1.png

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Atraveller, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gone Home With Soundtrack -- MB-27385A336BFB04B8 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 3 entrants total.
The Bridge -- MB-2532BFEFADBA3379 - Taken by orthodoxy1095. 3 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-F9861863F60C9D3D
The Whispered World: Special Edition -- MB-E868E3F2EECD2838 - Taken by agniswarm. 2 entrants total.
Papers, Please -- MB-3CA5E14BA46C67C0 - Taken by Lomax. 4 entrants total.
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror -- MB-431E238C91648BF1 - Taken by electroflame. 2 entrants total.

t1418090193z1.png
Tada!

me0wish

holy shit they are expensive :O I thought it was like an ipad... well that kills that idea lol

Check out Dell Venue 8 pro, it's around 200$, works wonderful with indie games, emulators, and streaming, such a lovely device for such a cheap price! Not to mention the screen is IPS.

Check this video out:

http://youtu.be/efDdh1iOC_8

Edit: I'm surprised no one even mentions the device, it's really awesome, while not ideal for gaming due to size, it does surprisingly really well, it handles source games pretty nicely and makes a nice "handheld replacement".

Please take this so it doesn't increase my backlog:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cyberquake, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Real Boxing -- MB-496D2E831CB8E2DC - Taken by The Dear Leader

Deitus

It's a shame that Valve is so anti-Android. If there were an android in-home streaming platform it would significantly lower the barrier of entry in the "second device" scenario for most people. Ouya, Raspberry Pi, hell maybe even Amazon Fire TV and Chromecast could get in on the action.

I'd be thrilled if they would just bother to update their Android Steam app. Trying to keep up with sales while on vacation is a complete hassle. I might have bought something during the last sale if there was a decent way to see what was actually on sale.

Valve supporting streaming to Android devices is so far outside the realm of possibility when they won't even update their store app in order to sell more games.

Next time someone is feeling compelled to do a 'post waifus for free bundle keys' giveaway, please consider the snowball effect it has.

Modbot was created for a reason.

It's a shame that Valve is so anti-Android. If there were an android in-home streaming platform it would significantly lower the barrier of entry in the "second device" scenario for most people. Ouya, Raspberry Pi, hell maybe even Amazon Fire TV and Chromecast could get in on the action.

Do you have knowledge that they are actively/consciously anti-Android or is it just an extrapolation from their negligence of the Android app and their general way of ignoring stuff that's not interesting to them :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Next time someone is feeling compelled to do a 'post waifus for free bundle keys' giveaway, please consider the snowball effect it has.

when did this happen?

Lomax

Do you have knowledge that they are actively/consciously anti-Android or is it just an extrapolation from their negligence of the Android app and their general way of ignoring stuff that's not interesting to them :p

I actually thought it was pretty funny how slow the response was and how relatively few posts there were.

Unrelated: Holy crap these Disney cards drop slow. Just took an hour and a half to get one Pure card.

Fake edit: Sweet! I won Papers, Please. Thanks Atraveller :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rhaknar, I've posted my tablet recommendation to you and I think you've skipped it (or maybe ignored it :p).

I saw it, seems ok but all the emulator shit in the video didnt sit well with me. Plus I dont think thats even available here, and Im a compulsive buyer, I dont really order shit online, I go to the store and buy them

im leaning towards a laptop now tbh

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 25 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Super Trench Attack -- MB-616FDD6A10421EEF - Taken by autoduelist. 1 entrants total.
Syder Arcade -- MB-7C672EA9E65EC611 - Taken by Hanzou. 1 entrants total.
Space Hack -- MB-1FBF8482CE7DE5D8
Chains -- MB-64EF3058AA13D2BD
Loren The Amazon Princess -- MB-51908B8C0257362D - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 10 entrants total.
Real Boxing -- MB-06152496DFE373E7 - Taken by A Fish Aficionado. 1 entrants total.
Retro-Pixel Castles -- MB-034C8CEF4D99E841 - Taken by freshVeggie. 1 entrants total.
Syberia -- MB-ACF9067BBC0B2DE8 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 2 entrants total.
Muffin Knight -- MB-67091AD904E0838D - Taken by Tesseract. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Demonicon: The Dark Eye -- MB-36A6831D27BBCA6B - Taken by Bayonetta. 7 entrants total.
Crash Time 2 -- MB-A3DE3D26CD1AF3D5
Kraven Manor -- MB-0721E42C81206A7C - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
FATE: The Cursed King -- MB-D543F33D003A5857 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Crimsonland -- MB-47AEFA75BBD60F18 - Taken by didamangi. 2 entrants total.
Alone In The Dark -- MB-A87395E9A25F5F77 - Taken by nightstorm. 4 entrants total.
Syberia II -- MB-6E9AE4480D3C4D0A - Taken by orthodoxy1095. 1 entrants total.
Haegemonia: Legions of Iron -- MB-012CB1E025BFD94E - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Year Walk -- MB-DA1563CA542A0772 - Taken by Yrael. 4 entrants total.
Deadlings - Rotten Edition -- MB-397E43CBC38329E7 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 3 entrants total.
Pixel Piracy -- MB-66B67C63A9C0DFEB - Taken by ExoSoul. 4 entrants total.
Nom Nom Galaxy -- MB-5438ED5C49D255B8 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 5 entrants total.
Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space -- MB-D34DB66E1B50F98D - Taken by redlacs. 3 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-876D6A78A5099ACE - Taken by RyanPierre. 7 entrants total.
Obulis -- MB-77C55F66A1D0D9A7
Return to Mysterious Island -- MB-E303753F09C49066 - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.

t1418095052z1.png

Annubis

Jørdan;142448452 said:
Jeez, that was fast! Enjoy your time here.

No kidding, glad it was quick for you.

Yeah... mine took enough months for me to completely forget that I even tried making an account.
It was a nice surprise in my mailbox though.

tebunker

Banned
I keep staring at my back log wanting something to play... I am trying to not buy anything else for a while, a good 6 months if I can.

Pretty sure I am linking my games right

If you guys see something that it seems I an not giving proper love to let me know. I am up for anything really just to play. I need to get in a groove and just jam out some of these games.

Maddocks

Jørdan;142448452 said:
Jeez, that was fast! Enjoy your time here.

No kidding, glad it was quick for you.

I know, I had to wait 3 months for mine to go through. The horror. Lurking everyday wanting to get in on discussion was the worst of it.

Rhaknar

Super Trench Attack is actually really cool, dont sleep on it just because its a bundle game and looks weird in pictures/ has strange art

autoduelist

Turnbased only or are RTS fine too? Focus on economy and diplomacy or more war? How about RPG and action elements?

Wow, good questions. Focus on combat, I think? RPG elements fine. I like both turn based and RTS, so either. I'm a fan of most genres. The last game I absolutely loved in this 'range' I'm currently looking for was probably FTL. I'm currently playing the heck out of BoI, so I want to go tactics/strategy next.

I don't think he want's LLTQ though.

Googing tells me that's Long Live the Queen?

Lomax

I keep staring at my back log wanting something to play... I am trying to not buy anything else for a while, a good 6 months if I can.

If you guys see something that it seems I an not giving proper love to let me know. I am up for anything really just to play. I need to get in a groove and just jam out some of these games.

Sleeping Dogs. Upgrade the melee combat a couple of times and it really starts to open up. Amazing game.

MetalDeer

You really should play Knights of the Old Republic if you can manage to get it working somewhat smoothly. If that's not working, Risen.

If you want to play something shorter to ease you into things, Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World are both pretty funny old school RPGs, only about 5-10 hours each. (Can't wait for Zeboyd's next RPG)

Aaand if my overwhelming bias towards RPGs is too much, I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and say Metro 2033, Dead Space, or Alan Wake.

Now you know why I have a giant backlog.

iosefe

shouldnt I finish the first one? I always got a good ways through 1 and never finish so I never started II

if you've never experienced KoTOR 1, finish it first, then play 2, but firs get the Restored Content Mod

for an idea of what to expect, i did i think every/most missions in kotor 1, and it took me 40 ish hours

Jørdan

Yeah... mine took enough months for me to completely forget that I even tried making an account.
It was a nice surprise in my mailbox though.
I know, I had to wait 3 months for mine to go through. The horror. Lurking everyday wanting to get in on discussion was the worst of it.

Similar situation to both of you, I waited months while lurking and received the acceptance email out of the blue. Nice to see the waiting time reduced for others though, it feels an awful long time when you're checking in daily and can't respond.

ExoSoul

Banned

In my case more than contributing to existing threads was thinking of a really good thread starter topic and not being able to share it, now I'm a member and haven't opened a single thread.
Partially because I know Gaf is bipolar so I'm never too sure of when I'm just asking to suffer its ire

Jawmuncher

Wow, good questions. Focus on combat, I think? RPG elements fine. I like both turn based and RTS, so either. I'm a fan of most genres. The last game I absolutely loved in this 'range' I'm currently looking for was probably FTL. I'm currently playing the heck out of BoI, so I want to go tactics/strategy next.

Googing tells me that's Long Live the Queen?

Yes that's what it is.
It's a fun "strategy" game but it's not really it's hard to explain.
I can say now though from what you want it's has nothing like that.

tebunker

Banned
You really should play Knights of the Old Republic if you can manage to get it working somewhat smoothly. If that's not working, Risen.

If you want to play something shorter to ease you into things, Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World are both pretty funny old school RPGs, only about 5-10 hours each. (Can't wait for Zeboyd's next RPG)

Aaand if my overwhelming bias towards RPGs is too much, I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and say Metro 2033, Dead Space, or Alan Wake.

Now you know why I have a giant backlog.

Yeah I have strong lean to RPGS and SRPGS in my collection, KOTOR is the one I have been meaning to tackle for a while

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'd be thrilled if they would just bother to update their Android Steam app. Trying to keep up with sales while on vacation is a complete hassle. I might have bought something during the last sale if there was a decent way to see what was actually on sale.

Valve supporting streaming to Android devices is so far outside the realm of possibility when they won't even update their store app in order to sell more games.

That's true. It always bugs me that Valve is looking for people with multiple skill sets, yet wouldn't take into consideration the fact that I'm capable of shipping new Steam features regularly, have extensive knowledge of networking, have tons of experience with server environments of every shape and size, have certifications with a lot of the software they use, and on top of all of that I have experience developing for Android.

This is yet another area that I feel like I could be helpful in.

Part extrapolation, part cynicism (see above). A lot of their Android people were let go early last year, and the Android app hasn't been updated since 2012. Furthermore, the iOS app was updated much more recently. Putting all of this together, it just seems like Valve doesn't see Android as being relevant to their overall strategy, which I feel is a shame.

Yrael

It took me about 5 weeks to be accepted to Neogaf - not bad! :) (I was a lurker for a couple of years before I decided to sign up though, heh.)

I heard about the Witcher 3 being delayed to May...I'm not particularly fussed, it gives me time to get around to other games before then! Sucks for people who were wanting it in February though. :/

Top Bottom