• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

you mean alpha no?
this has arcade location test and new stuff/changes/fixs afaik

Yeah, maybe -- I'd have to check my email history to see what they called it when they sent out keys. Whatever it was, it was terribad. I was very disappointed.

Don't worry, you played one Platinum game, you played them all.

*runs*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
I don't think you're HORSING around... and if you're not, I will not BALE you out of this.

mgr r hard is too hard, normal is too easy

lame :/

This is a case of GIT GUD if I ever saw one. :p

*rips out Milambers spine hangs his body out for all to see*

Now we're talking...

You are missing out on some of the best combat systems. There is a very good reason everybody wants vanquish and Bayonetta on Steam.

Vanquish doesn't have a combat system, really. It's not a character action game. :p
And while I wouldn't mind Bayonetta on Steam (Vanquish is the one I *REALLY* want), of the Platinum character action titles I've played, MGR:R is the one that rules them all. Hell, MGR:R is right up there with my favorite action games of all time (DMC4 and DMC3 are right with it).

I'll just drop this here:

I love playing the new Tomb Raider. And I hate Vanquish even though I like Bayonetta.

~runs~

You're dead to me.

--

And here I really just came in here to tell a story about my most recent The Evil Within endeavors.
The Chapter 9, 10, 11 trifecta? Blown away. Just absolutely... whoa.

Chapter 10... there's some good tension there in a lot of ways... a good jump scare or two I wasn't expected... but the thing with this game is the atmosphere and it's ability to not only change locations because of the story premise but the ability to make you feel tentative about taking on anything even though you have a few weapons and decent ammo stockpile.

Chapter 11? For those that played it, you'll know what I'm talking about... but there's a bunch of water. And my experience went down something like this:

Frost: "Whoa. Shit. Tell me there's a checkpoint... please let there be a checkpoint... that was a bit tense and I don't want to do it again..."
Seb: "I definitely don't want to go back in the water any time soon."
Frost: "Fuckin' A right! That's what I'm saying..."
:finds checkpoint:
Frost: "Thank Jesus!!!"

i'm gonna go with mgr r just being kind of very poorly balanced because neither difficulty was any fun

You tell yourself whatever you need to so you can sleep at night, buddy. But in the end, It's still boils down to GIT GUD. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
i gave the game another shot in normal difficulty since i found hard to be so frustrating the first time, i went with a new save with nothing unlocked and it's just ridiculously bad in normal

i get all S and A ratings without even doing anything, it's stupid as hell

sucks but i just think mgr r is really lame

You tell yourself whatever you need to so you can sleep at night, buddy. But in the end, It's still boils down to GIT GUD. :p
i should've used another word

it's not that it's hard

it's that it's annoying and boring because parry systems are terrible and the encounter design is not good at all, most of the enemy types in the game are annoying as hell

the only thing that saves mgr r from being a total disaster to me is that the bosses are pretty great

The funny thing about that is that it doesn't work too well in higher difficulties unless you like just whiffing your attacks and not being able to counter.

This is true.
You can block all you want... but if you keep trying to parry, you're going to eventually get hit unless you have robotic precision timing.

Anyone who thinks the game is "easy" because of the parrying should go take a challenge at VR Mission 18.

It's impossible without parry... but if you could just spam it? Yeah... ask how many people which VR mission prevented them from getting the achievement/trophy for all VR missions, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeCgRGYX55A

That's true. It always bugs me that Valve is looking for people with multiple skill sets, yet wouldn't take into consideration the fact that I'm capable of shipping new Steam features regularly, have extensive knowledge of networking, have tons of experience with server environments of every shape and size, have certifications with a lot of the software they use, and on top of all of that I have experience developing for Android.

This is yet another area that I feel like I could be helpful in.

Part extrapolation, part cynicism (see above). A lot of their Android people were let go early last year, and the Android app hasn't been updated since 2012. Furthermore, the iOS app was updated much more recently. Putting all of this together, it just seems like Valve doesn't see Android as being relevant to their overall strategy, which I feel is a shame.

This is the kind of discussion I love to see in the steam thread. Personally I have a negative impression of the company and the way it appears to work (according to what I've read here and on the wider internet, no personal experience). It just seems that they function on cliques and are very hesitant to hire new staff, especially if they have ambition (see jshackles). I guess this could partly be necessary because of their interesting business structure (no bosses, choose your own project, and peer feedback/rejection to handle firing people). I think they just got lucky, they were the first out the gate with a relatively functional digital download service, they gave the best discounts for a while (now they are regularly beaten), and they had some of the most popular games ( counter strike, half life) on their system to begin with which attracted a lot of their audience. Although it seems more like they have gotten a bit lucky with cs and dota since they were hugely popular before becoming part of valve.

In terms of being forward thinking it seems like they are trying new things but they are leaving behind really important things that need improvements, like all of the apps (pc, and mobile).

Parsnip

I didn't like MGRR all that much in the end. Foolishly listened to advice from people and played on hard and didn't have any fun at all. I beat it in the end but had absolutely no desire to play the dlc or any of the VR stuff, just not my kind of game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll just drop this here:

I love playing the new Tomb Raider. And I hate Vanquish even though I like Bayonetta.

~runs~

I enjoyed my time with TR2013 for the most part. Sure, the puzzles are virtually non-existent, but it's a competent third-person shooter. It really is too easy with the kb&m, though.

Y'know I just ventured into the "Dear SSM, please don't bring Kratos back in GoW4" thread and saw a picture of Asura's Wrath.

I always wanted to play that but never got around to it on PS3... add it to the list of Capcom titles I'd buy the hell out of on PC.

For S&Gs, here's a list of games I would throw all of my monies at:

Darkstalkers Resurrection
Street Fighter 3rd Strike Online
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Marvel vs. Capcom Origins*
Marvel vs. Capcom 2*
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3*
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
DMC HD Collection
Strider 2 (w/ Strider included)
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
Final Fight/Magic Sword collection
Anything Ghosts 'n Goblins
Anything Megaman or Megaman X
Pretty much anything Resident Evil (RE2, RE3, RE0, RE:CV)
Onimusha
Onimusha 2
God Hand
Anything Maximo

Also there's more:
Any Breath of Fire games
Any Dino Crisis games
Ghost Trick
Monster Hunter
Ōkami
Power Stone
Viewtiful Joe
Zack & Wiki

*Impossible right now due to Marvel license being yanked from Capcom again

And I probably missed some there too.

JaseC

And have you begun your plotting on how to acquire it?

I'll ask a Russian trader to use the cross-region purchasing trick to buy it on the cheap when the Winter Sale is drawing to a close and I start blowing through whatever money I have left over. I don't see it being a featured deal.

Edit: Oh, wait, the German sub is restricted to Germany. Oh well, the game is cheap as chips regardless of the region.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Today I learned that there's a German-specific app for SiN Episodes: Emergence (1320 as opposed to 1300).

do you buy different subs of games you own aswell, like jagged alliance 2 gold or that painkiller game (black I think)?

JaseC

But I though JaseC collects geologic mineral samples?

That was a lie! *twirls moustache*

do you buy different subs of games you own aswell, like jagged alliance 2 gold?

Nah, there's no point in doing so unless it contains an app I don't have. You can't purchase a different sub if it contains the same apps.

It's a shame SiN never made it past Episode 1. It was a really awesome shooter. The adaptive difficulty was a really interesting mechanic too. I might need to pick up the original on GOG since its on sale

I hope MumboJumbo brings SiN Gold to Steam at some point. The Steam version is only slightly censored but it doesn't contain the expansion pack, which I've never played.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

EDGE -- MB-25819BD2E4EC3EA6 - Taken by chronomac

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cant wait for the xmas sale for another round of no discounts for the Obscure games and Cladun

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

Insurgency #2 -- MB-B589C7CF692486AC - Taken by bluechox2
Insurgency -- MB-80C56523CF5D4BF6

cant wait for the xmas sale for another round of no discounts for the Obscure games and Cladun

Obscures were on sale as a weekly at one point... and they were pretty cheap for the collection from the motherland... but it happened that my trader was MIA for that bit and I missed out on them. :\

Rhaknar

Obscures were on sale as a weekly at one point... and they were pretty cheap for the collection from the motherland... but it happened that my trader was MIA for that bit and I missed out on them. :\

25% or whatever the fuck it was isnt a sale where I come from

Lain

I can't get the new Lara Croft game to install. Steam starts creating the cache but there's no bar filling happening and after a while I get a termination error for the connection so the installation stops (it never really started in the first place!). This is such a weird error.

Nearly* finished building my computer last night. I'd say that it was a nerve wrecking adventure. I probably did every mistake in the book, mostly on not reading the manuals through and through first and just going in with quick glance + guides from Youtube + trial and error. Especially the power chords were pretty confusing, especially because of the cheer amount of them. But at least it seems to run pretty well and everything seems to work.

* Forgot to put the mobo I/O shield before installing it, which pretty much means that I have to take everything out and back in if I want it.

I can't get the new Lara Croft game to install. Steam starts creating the cache but there's no bar filling happening and after a while I get a termination error for the connection so the installation stops (it never really started in the first place!). This is such a weird error.

I was getting a bit of that error last week, no progress in the bar and then a connection error when trying to install Cognition. I changed the download server, restarted steam, rebooted my comp and still had it. A couple of hours later it just fixed itself. No idea what caused it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed my time with TR2013 for the most part. Sure, the puzzles are virtually non-existent, but it's a competent third-person shooter. It really is too easy with the kb&m, though.

The Max Payne series suffers from this, MP3 especially.

There's going to be a simulator-branded game for everything until it finally ends with "Simulator Simulator".

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Rhaknar

More games on Steam is never a bad thing. ;)

one day you will look at your steam library the same way I look at my thousands of dvds and think "what the fuck was I thinking"

25% or whatever the fuck it was isnt a sale where I come from

True, but with the motherland price, it was over 50% off.

one day you will look at your steam library the same way I look at my thousands of dvds and think "what the fuck was I thinking"

Considering the rate at which my library has expanded since November 2013, now being 8 games under 2500, I find myself thinking this all the time.
Where do you think all this PS4 talk comes from. :3

_hekk05

Banned
Considering the rate at which my library has expanded since November 2013, now being 8 games under 2500, I find myself thinking this all the time.
Where do you think all this PS4 talk comes from. :3

its the exclusives man

its the jrpgs man

i'm a sucker for compile heart
lol
man

Lain

I was getting a bit of that error last week, no progress in the bar and then a connection error when trying to install Cognition. I changed the download server, restarted steam, rebooted my comp and still had it. A couple of hours later it just fixed itself. No idea what caused it.

Guess it's back to WoW for me then.

Rhaknar

"What the fuck was I thinking..."

"...I should have bought more."

no...

...no :/

Same with my comics really. I just jump from collection to collection over the years really

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
"What the fuck was I thinking..."

"...I should have bought more."

tumblr_m9f1lqCBTN1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

Milamber

Oh gods, don't remind me of my collections too. I'm all over the place. I just bought Autumn seal games and have some for Winter seal. I purchased another 2DS because it was transparent. I bought more Brandon Sanderson Stormlight books and will rebuy them if I can find a hardcover. I'm setting some back for Amiibos. I just bought 2 RG gundams from SEED Destiny and I fucking hate the show but it is an RG. Not to mention the Xmas gifts I have to purchase...

shit!

Top Bottom