• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
speaking of drivers, nvidia hasnt updated in ages (and by ages I mean like 1-2 weeks)

Yeah, I assumed new betas would be pushed out quite quickly to fix the broken SLI bits in Far Cry 4's profile that introduce a severe case of crushed blacks, but nope.

jXLT7QQHHOCSS.png
Valiant Hearts is making my menu fat.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i asked riot how much money i had spent and it was only $136

was kinda disappointing lol

I am also incredibly disapointed. I had hoped your frivulous spendings would be up there with mine, but alas, you pale in comparison. Its just me and Inky in our sad little corner, all alone

Tizoc

Doesn't seem that anyone's taken this so grab it if you want it.
The Book of Unwritten Tales Digital Deluxe Edition -- MB-BECFFBCED439E659 - Taken by Blu(e)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dokuro -- MB-215601970C1D782F - Taken by DocSeuss. 29 entrants total.
Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-5C61922C96AB5A48 - Taken by A Fish Aficionado. 5 entrants total.

t1418122413z1.png

DocSeuss

Anyone know if Indiegala's down or something? Wanted to get this free game they're offering, can't. Oh well, lifeless planet, I will miss you.

zkylon

zkylewd
I am also incredibly disapointed. I had hoped your frivulous spendings would be up there with mine, but alas, you pale in comparison. Its just me and Inky in our sad little corner, all alone

well to be fair i only buy skins -__-

also i'm really broke :(

Nabs

Anyone know if Indiegala's down or something? Wanted to get this free game they're offering, can't. Oh well, lifeless planet, I will miss you.

It's not completely free. You still have to spend $20 on their store.

The site is up and still sucks.

-----

Distance Early Access is now up and is $19.99 ($16.99 first week promo).

Didn't you call MH "Flaming Garbage" last time it was brought up in steamGaf?

It is. That's why it's not in the top section of the list and it's in the "here are some other franchises".

It's beyond flaming garbage. I gave $10 to the MH franchise once. No matter how much gameplay looks alright sometimes, I will always remember my time with MHFU and not becomes the next Dubya.

Let me quote myself and edit it for clarity. I'll edit it in.

Y'know I just ventured into the "Dear SSM, please don't bring Kratos back in GoW4" thread and saw a picture of Asura's Wrath.

I always wanted to play that but never got around to it on PS3... add it to the list of Capcom titles I'd buy the hell out of on PC.

For S&Gs, here's a list of games I would throw all of my monies at:

Darkstalkers Resurrection
Street Fighter 3rd Strike Online
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Marvel vs. Capcom Origins*
Marvel vs. Capcom 2*
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3*
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
DMC HD Collection
Strider 2 (w/ Strider included)
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
Final Fight/Magic Sword collection
Anything Ghosts 'n Goblins
Anything Megaman or Megaman X
Pretty much anything Resident Evil (RE2, RE3, RE0, RE:CV)
Onimusha
Onimusha 2
God Hand
Anything Maximo

And here's a list of some more Capcom franchises that I probably wouldn't buy in most cases, but I see a lot of rabid fans, so I'm sure they'd still sell on Steam:
Any Breath of Fire games
Any Dino Crisis games
Ghost Trick
Monster Hunter
Ōkami
Power Stone
Viewtiful Joe
Zack & Wiki

*Impossible right now due to Marvel license being yanked from Capcom again

And I probably missed some there too.

Better?
Seemed obvious to me that because there was a separation of lists and the second one said "wait, here's some other things" that the "other things" were "other things I wouldn't necessarily throw all my monies at". Then again, I wrote it.
But now it should be perfectly clear.
Now, being in that bottom list doesn't mean everything is flaming hot garbage the likes of MH, but it's stuff I've never played and don't have a lot of interest in or things that would have to be heavily discounted or have new features (Okami, for example, would not be bought unless it was ridiculously cheap unless the PC port had the option to turn off the fucking gibberish... the game is too long as it is. Having to listen to gobbledegook for 40+ hours? No fucking thank you.)

JaseC

Valve should update the mandatory Early Access FAQ template with a question that indicates, at the very least, whether or not a game will be discounted during Steam's notable sale periods. Many devs answer "Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?" in no uncertain terms but only a small percentage bother to mention whether or not it'll go on sale during the Early Access period.

Blu(e)

Doesn't seem that anyone's taken this so grab it if you want it.
The Book of Unwritten Tales Digital Deluxe Edition -- MB-BECFFBCED439E659 - Taken by Blu(e)

Grabbed this. Thank you! I'm also interested in Dokuro if you don't mind me entering?

Does anyone use the PS3 navigation controller or some equivalent that they use for PC? I've been playing Alan Wake and I've curious how well it works in combination with a mouse for aiming. I have enough points on Sony's reward site that I can to pick one up for "free" but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Vuze

It is. That's why it's not in the top section of the list and it's in the "here are some other franchises".

It's beyond flaming garbage. I gave $10 to the MH franchise once. No matter how much gameplay looks alright sometimes, I will always remember my time with MHFU and not becomes the next Dubya.
What was your exact problem with the game? Obviously it isn't one that everybody can enjoy but just curious what makes you think so badly of it lol

What was your exact problem with the game? Obviously it isn't one that everybody can enjoy but just curious what makes you think so badly of it lol

Lack of variety in combat is the easiest way to put it, not even pulling in the other grinding stuff that factors into the game in order to do well (collecting ingredients or whatever).

I saw it was on sale on PSN and knew I'd buy a Vita someday, so that would alleviate the claw... I looked up some YT gameplay and watched a few fights against harder monsters, I'd wager and came away thinking maybe, just maybe, it would be like dark/demon souls. But what little exploration there was in the amount of the game I could stomach wasn't very dark souls like which meant in order for it to redeem itself for me as something I would play and enjoy that I would have to really dig the combat. I did a few of the early missions and just became overly frustrated and found the combat clunky and boring. I know a lot of people say it's "more fun with other people", but I don't tend to be much of a multiplayer gamer and trying to play MHFU on Vita with others is a bit of a chore (if it's even possible in NA)...

I gave the "hunting" genre another shot with Soul Sacrifice and I loved it. Funny thing is, most people who like MH and play SS dislike SS because it's not MH enough while those that like it seem to do so BECAUSE it's not MH like. Soul Sacrifice had a lot of spell types, a lot of build types, and had a solid core of being able to play like demon's/dark souls in a way (very heavy dodge based combat, learning attack patterns, fast paced combat, though it lacked the "physical weapon" aspect until Delta, which has a ridiculous amount of added content... I still need to finish a bunch of the new story in that, now that I think of it).

I think the extra hate for MH not only comes from getting the wrong impressions and being immensely disappointed with my purchase... this happens a lot. It's why I have real problems with Strider 2014, Uncharted 2, and several other games which either didn't live up to my hype or didn't live up to the general internet hype that surrounds them. Combine this with having the crazy rabbid fans of the genre going around spouting why it's the greatest thing since <whatever> and argue with you over why it's better than <everything> just makes it all the more infuriating. ;)

Arthea

I don't know why I just can't finish steam games, I had this problem before, but never so bad like with steam, I have about 100 unfinished games, some near the end even and all I can think of about new ones I bought recently, good that I can't download them before uninstalling some of unfinished, or I wouldn't even be having this speech!
Seriously, I need to finish some games, Wolf surely can wait a little.

Deques

I don't know why I just can't finish steam games, I had this problem before, but never so bad like with steam, I have about 100 unfinished games, some near the end even and all I can think of about new ones I bought recently, good that I can't download them before uninstalling some of unfinished, or I wouldn't even be having this speech!

If you finish those 100 games you may beat the "52 games in a year challenge" :)

tmarg

I do the same thing. Often I'll get almost to the very end of the game and then get distracted by something else. I've really been trying to stop doing that, I end up missing out on a lot of cool stuff.

Im about halfway through F:NV Dead Money and Im really liking it so far. The characters are really cool, especially the dynamic between Dog/God. The only thing Im not really liking is the poison gas which hinders a lot of exploration. Im pretty high level wise (27) but taking somewhat constant damage and fighting the Ghosts is a bit of a drag. I can't wait to see what the other DLC has to offer. I thought I'd get through them, or at least one or two, before I return to exploring the mojave wasteland

Considering Im playing with J. Sawyer mod, It also just hit me Im going to hit the level cap in eight more levels. I couldn't imagine being level 50. Sure it would take a lot of grinding but it would make the courier OP.

Aiustis

I think I have too many games that are the kind I pick up and play a little bit here and there with no real investment in finishing no matter how much I like them.

Arthea

If you finish those 100 games you may beat the "52 games in a year challenge" :)

hey! you just made me look real bad! (><)
I actually finished about 30 games this year, and let's not forget that 5 of them are ass long games!
Have you finished your 52, btw?

I think I have too many games that are the kind I pick up and play a little bit here and there with no real investment in finishing no matter how much I like them.

this too, I like pick drop pick and play games, that's part of the problem

i got to 34 out of the 52, tho most of those are super short free games :p

i don't know how people do it

yeah, I find it amazing too, Knurek is in his 100 finished games by now I think, insanity! (><)

JaseC

It's happening.

Tn2JXL8.jpg

Vuze

Lack of variety in combat is the easiest way to put it, not even pulling in the other grinding stuff that factors into the game in order to do well (collecting ingredients or whatever).

I know a lot of people say it's "more fun with other people", but I don't tend to be much of a multiplayer gamer and trying to play MHFU on Vita with others is a bit of a chore (if it's even possible in NA)...

I gave the "hunting" genre another shot with Soul Sacrifice and I loved it. Funny thing is, most people who like MH and play SS dislike SS because it's not MH enough while those that like it seem to do so BECAUSE it's not MH like. Soul Sacrifice had a lot of spell types, a lot of build types, and had a solid core of being able to play like demon's/dark souls in a way (very heavy dodge based combat, learning attack patterns, fast paced combat, though it lacked the "physical weapon" aspect until Delta, which has a ridiculous amount of added content... I still need to finish a bunch of the new story in that, now that I think of it).

I see. I haven't played MHFU much in MP either due to the non-native online multiplayer. Luckily they have finally resolved that issue for handheld titles with MH4. About the boldened aspects, not sure why you have the impression that these are non-existant in MH. Learning attack patterns is basically the key to successfully and efficiently hunt down your targets, dodging and combat pacing is up to you and the weapon you use ;)

If you happen to have a 3DS you should eventually give 4 Ultimate a shot, the new verticality opens up the gameplay a lot and there are three new weapon classes in comparison to MHFU, eventually you will find one that suits your combat preferences more if you couldn't get along with the 12 or something that were in FU. Plus the older ones have received a major moveset overhaul, making greatsword my second most used class while I've never liked it in previous titles.

Anyway, yeah, MH on Steam... one can only dream. Thinking about it, are there any good games of the genre on Steam? I can't recall I've come across any yet.

Ban Puncher

I woke up this morning with a twisted ankle. Dunno how I managed that.

When my Steam Only 1TB SSD arrives, what is the procedure in moving everything from my c:\ drive to this new destination and having everything install there in the future?

Deques

hey! you just made me look real bad! (><)
I actually finished about 30 games this year, and let's not forget that 5 of them are ass long games!
Have you finished your 52, btw?

I think I have, maybe even 53 games. But some of them are quite short games and some even don't have goals >.<

JaseC

That already happened, you are so absent from this thread lately, you forget that you brought me to the dark side long ago!

Yeah, but now you're finding it hard to play games, which is the other half of the equation. ;)

I woke up this morning with a twisted ankle. Dunno how I managed that.

When my Steam Only 1TB SSD arrives, what is the procedure in moving everything from my c:\ drive to this new destination and having everything install there in the future?

Just cut and paste your Steam folder. If Steam complains about something, delete everything except for the steamapps and userdata folders and Steam.exe, then run said exe -- this essentially acts as a reinstallation.

Tizoc

Grabbed this. Thank you! I'm also interested in Dokuro if you don't mind me entering?

Does anyone use the PS3 navigation or some equivalent that they use for PC? I've been playing Alan Wake and I've curious how well it works in combination with a mouse for aiming. I have enough points on Sony's reward site that I can to pick one up for "free" but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Jump in~ If ModBot deems you worthy enjoy the game~

tmarg

TIL people compare Monster Hunter to Souls games.

From a strictly combat mechanic standpoint, they are similar. After that, not really. And I would definitely say that souls has more polished and varied combat, but the same could be said about the vast majority of games. Souls combat is better than just about anything out there right now.

Arthea

I think that Early Access is becoming a norm, we are getting close to half of all released games being EA games. Do we have statistics somewhere how many of them leave EA and in what time? I think stump once posted something like this.

I think I have, maybe even 53 games. But some of them are quite short games and some even don't have goals >.<

congratulations! It's still quite a feat short games or no!

Yeah, but now you're finding it hard to play games, which is the other half of the equation. ;)
it's another equation entirely, one where you jump from game to game to another game to yet another game and can't stop! until you run out of space to dl (><)

Copons

This is the kind of discussion I love to see in the steam thread. Personally I have a negative impression of the company and the way it appears to work (according to what I've read here and on the wider internet, no personal experience). It just seems that they function on cliques and are very hesitant to hire new staff, especially if they have ambition (see jshackles). I guess this could partly be necessary because of their interesting business structure (no bosses, choose your own project, and peer feedback/rejection to handle firing people). I think they just got lucky, they were the first out the gate with a relatively functional digital download service, they gave the best discounts for a while (now they are regularly beaten), and they had some of the most popular games ( counter strike, half life) on their system to begin with which attracted a lot of their audience. Although it seems more like they have gotten a bit lucky with cs and dota since they were hugely popular before becoming part of valve.

In terms of being forward thinking it seems like they are trying new things but they are leaving behind really important things that need improvements, like all of the apps (pc, and mobile).

I basically agree with all your post, but regarding the bolded part: it wasn't luck. Valve was one of the first company, if not the first, (i think, i don't remember much about pc gaming in the 90s :D ) to actually acquire mod and modders. That was an extremely forward thinking thing to do, like it was Steam itself.

And I miss that kind of glorious Valve, doing crazy shit I would read on gaming mags and say "holy shit that's glorious". :(

Distance Early Access is now up and is $19.99 ($16.99 first week promo).

Is this the F-Zero like one or am I confusing with another one?

Knurek

yeah, I find it amazing too, Knurek is in his 100 finished games by now I think, insanity! (><)

106, going on strong to have 110 by the end of year (and would have 150 if I counted each Telltale episode as a separate game, as some people do)
It's actually quite easy to do if you try to limit collectathons/RPGs/4X games to a sensible minimum and don't care about achievement hunting all that much.
It also helps that I generally enjoy adventure games, which are usually 5-10 hour affairs, and I'm not above using walkthrough/guides when stuck.

Definitely signing up for 2015 thread if it gets made, having a goal helps - I've almost doubled my finished game count this year.

Top Bottom