• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Arthea

Is SHIELD any different? If so I might just have to give it a shot, but after Arrow, The Flash and Gotham I'm... Wary of superhero shows

I don't particularly like anything Marvel with exception of SHIELD and The Avengers (the movie), so I would say, ya, different.

Quick question: if a game is blocked in my country thus I cannot buy it, can someone else gift it to me?

In most cases, yes. There are some multi and MMOs that aren't available for reasons of unavailability of local servers and GFWL games are unavailable in countries that are GFWL free for reasons they are unplayable without some titanic efforts.
Now, if you are from Germany there might be other complications too.

Pachimari

I'm thrown right into a battle in Hearthstone and I can't remember how to play it. Isn't it possible to play the tutorial again somehow?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just had my little Christmas miracle for the year: my parents have been bugging me about what I want for Christmas and I settled on getting a new case since my Eleven Hundred has seen much better days. I ended up snagging the lucky last ex-demo NZXT H630 a semi-local store was selling for $105, which represents a saving of roughly $65 (38%). The only thing "wrong" with it is that it's missing two PCI-E covers on the count of being briefly used for testing purposes, which doesn't matter to me since I have two GPUs. And it's black! For once, my luck didn't turn around and laugh at my face.

Quick question: if a game is blocked in my country thus I cannot buy it, can someone else gift it to me?

Yes, generally.

Arthea

Have you seen Guardians of the Galaxy? It's great, much better than Avengers in my opinion.

ups, my bad! Guardians of the Galaxy I do like, forgot somehow, thanks for reminding :)

edited: I wouldn't necessary compare the two, they aren't similar enough. I like both, can't say which one more, probably equally.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I just had my little Christmas miracle for the year: my parents have been bugging me about what I want for Christmas and I settled on getting a new case since my Eleven Hundred has seen much better days. I ended up snagging the lucky last ex-demo NZXT H630 a semi-local store was selling for $105, which represents a saving of roughly $65 (38%). The only thing "wrong" with it is that it's missing two PCI-E covers on the count of being briefly used for testing purposes, which doesn't matter to me since I have two GPUs. And it's black! For once, my luck didn't turn around and laugh at my face.

Congratulations on the good fortune. I bought my FT02 in a similar fashion.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

I7Ufybq.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-B3607D96B518DD1D - Taken by PetriP-TNT

JaseC

Congratulations on the good fortune. I bought my FT02 in a similar fashion.

Ta. The store also had a Corsair 650D for $135 (~$80 less than the usual price) but I went with the H630 for its larger size ("ultra" tower versus mid tower) and greater amount of HDD bays (8 versus 6). Unlike my Eleven Hundred, I intend to take good care of this one. ;)

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

I7Ufybq.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-B3607D96B518DD1D - Taken by PetriP-TNT
Insurgency, like expected: https://www.humblebundle.com/s?key=m3qmeRZURH2bUBtf

dani_dc

You might have to add your Steam install folder to your GeForce Experience "Games" list (under preferences), but once it's an option you can just select it like any other game.

http://limelight-stream.com/

My number one reason (right above g-sync) for me to want to update my GPU.

Good thing I'll be out of the country for half a year early next year, so that will give me the "strength" needed to not buy a 970 anytime soon.

JaseC

One more spare:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Fairy Tale About Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya -- MB-4393032D3F57C4FC - Taken by NingenJanai

I think they just got lucky, they were the first out the gate with a relatively functional digital download service, they gave the best discounts for a while (now they are regularly beaten), and they had some of the most popular games ( counter strike, half life) on their system to begin with which attracted a lot of their audience. Although it seems more like they have gotten a bit lucky with cs and dota since they were hugely popular before becoming part of valve.

In terms of being forward thinking it seems like they are trying new things but they are leaving behind really important things that need improvements, like all of the apps (pc, and mobile).

It wasn't luck that got Valve to where they are today. Have people completely forgotten history? Ten years ago Valve's reputation was in the gutter. With the Half Life 2 leak, the revelation that Gabe was 'lying' about it's release date and Steam coming out of the gate as a barely functioning service, there were a lot of people upset with Valve.

Combine this with the challenges in the first few years of Steam's life. It was the time console gaming exploded and passed PC gaming as the target audience of most major developers. It was the time the 'PC gaming is dead' and 'all PC gamers are pirates' line of thinking gained traction. It was the time developers tried the worst types of DRM on the PC ranging from limited activations, always online requirements, Starforce/Securom and what not.

It was then that Valve held on to their core philosophy of treating their customers with respect. They built a bridge between the industry and gamers on what is acceptable DRM. They made PC games available globally when retail stores stopped stocking them. Or in the case of countries like mine, most retail games never even made it to these shores. They continue to foster and reward mod communities for their games. They let people run their own servers. They don't cut their game into bits and charge extra for the parts they left out. They still believe in supporting games for free years after release at a time when companies start pre-orders of season passes months before release.

But no, let's go with the theory that Valve got lucky. They got lucky with Counter Strike. And they got lucky with TF2. And with Portal. And L4D. And Dota 2. How many do they have to release before people maybe start to accept that there might actually be something going on at Valve that actually makes these 'mods' into amazing games. That maybe making a game involves is more than just having a good idea. That's it not luck for a game to build a community that plays it for five or ten or fifteen years.

All those stores that are regularly beating Valve in discounts? They're all selling Steam keys. Half of them would go under if Valve decided to stop giving out free Steam keys to any developer who asks. Lucky for them, Valve doesn't work that way. They see growth as mutually beneficial for everyone instead of looking at their bottom line.

So yea, there are a lot of problems with Steam and everyone wishes they would do better with some aspect or the other. However, they're still the best out there and it wasn't because they got lucky. Ten years ago the community burned their house to the ground and they have rebuilt their castle brick by brick.

I don't know why I just can't finish steam games, I had this problem before, but never so bad like with steam, I have about 100 unfinished games, some near the end even and all I can think of about new ones I bought recently, good that I can't download them before uninstalling some of unfinished, or I wouldn't even be having this speech!
Seriously, I need to finish some games, Wolf surely can wait a little.

Solution to this problem is simple. Only install the games you are playing. This will keep you focused on finishing any game you start. Once you've finished it, delete and install a new one. I used to have hundreds of games installed a few years ago. I'd start them, get distracted by something else and never come back to it. Now I panic if I have more than a dozen or so games installed at any time.

I also find it useful to maintain a list of what games I finish. It's a handy record of stuff you've played and it sometimes keeps me motivated to complete stuff that is getting left behind.

It's a nice vid. The fandom is pretty disappointed with the overall update though. It's community-made, but they feel it got shafted by Valve.

Care to elaborate on this? I'm not really in touch with what's going on in the TF2 community.

Vlad

Curious for sub $5 strategy recommendations. Don't care what genre (fantasy, realistic, sci-fi, etc)... just want something nice and deep (and good). Still kicking myself for not picking up Dungeon of the Endless during the last sale, though thankful there's another coming up.

While it's an older game, and not quite under $5, I can't recommend Moonbase Commander enough. It's kind of a cross between a turn-based base building game and Worms. You make new buildings by flinging them out from existing ones, but your entire base remains interconnected by cables. So, if one of your buildings gets destroyed, everything that it created gets blown up too. You can even lose your entire base if your initial structure gets destroyed.

Bigby

I've finally finished Psychonauts at 100% for the first time! I had forgotten how terrible the Meat Circus is.

I 100% it in January, damn I really hate Mila's Dance party and Velvetopia figments. Not hardest to 100% (that would be Dishonored Trials DLC) but probably most annoying.

Deques

Seems like GMG has put up quite a lot rewards for Lara Croft Temple of Osiris. Not as much as when they started with rewards

Lara Croft ... Temple of Osiris - unlock Bling me up! - £0.10
Lara Croft ... Temple of Osiris - unlock Gotta have them all - £0.10
Lara Croft ... Temple of Osiris - unlock Oh, were we supposed to share these? - £0.10
Lara Croft ... Temple of Osiris - unlock Hey, at least you are the best at something! - £0.10
Lara Croft ... Temple of Osiris - unlock Long distance relationship - £0.10
Lara Croft ... Temple of Osiris - unlock Burn it with fire! - £0.10
Lara Croft ... Temple of Osiris - unlock Human Cannonball - £0.10

Top Bottom