• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Good News?

From Stumpokapow
Hey. You actually might need to ask another moderator. I've been very busy in real life for a little while and wasn't really part of the discussion about moving the thread to Community so I'm also not sure what the plan is for sales--or if there even is one. I don't think it'd be a problem to keep both open personally, but then I also don't 100% know what the decision they came to on community threads in general was.

I'll CC Nirolak on this PM and hopefully he can give you a satisfactory answer.

If I hear nothing i'll pm him directly.
Great. Nirolak is a swell dude and I am sure he won't leave us in the dust.
you are reading this right Nirolak? I put all my trust into you.

Well then, I played an hour of Evil Within and I gotta say, that was the first time I felt I was playing a next gen game. It looks (and even runs) ridiculous and the first chapter was tense as hell!

Jadax

Finalllly! StarDrive will be mine - been looking to get that since it was out, but the price is such a obstacle considering it got such bad reviews.

New Just Cause 3 images[/URL]
For those not going to the thread. Some hd shots which I really love.
just_cause_3_5.jpg
just_cause_3_1.jpg

just_cause_3_2.jpg
just_cause_3_3.jpg

just_cause_3_10.jpg
just_cause_3_11.jpg

just_cause_3_15.jpg
just_cause_3_16.jpg

just_cause_3_20.jpg
just_cause_3_21.jpg
Explosions are top notch.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Battlefront II's online multiplayer doesn't work anymore, apparently. I was going to pull the trigger, since it's $2.99 and because I loved playing it on Xbox a while back, but what's the point?

But you can still play it online unofficially. I don't remember with what client though.

You can play multiplayer through GameRanger.

Can't you also play offline as well? For $3 it may be fun even with offline bots just to mess around with.

Kanhir

Just spotted the Metro Redux bundle up for 20 euro on Humble. I have the originals from a Steam sale, but never actually played them. Are the Redux editions worth the upgrade?

I ordered lenses last night from ebay so i don't expect them before january (holidays) so it won't be any impressions soon :D
Oh, so you need lenses. Yeah, makes sense actually. You use a guide or do you do that yourself on your own?
Pretty interesting stuff. If you know a guide or sth. please hit me a PM with links. ^-^
Also, good luck on your homemade vr project!
-
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Toki767, who is running this raffle.
Man, I am getting old. I totally forgot to enter, hah.
-
You can play multiplayer through GameRanger.
Thanks. Bookmarked. Bought it in summer. Still haven't played but I was wondering how it'll work. Guess the same way should work for Battlefield 2?
-
I just sent my papers in so I am now a Engineer so have some games:
image.php

You after all the years of studying.
Congrats!
-
I played Xeodrifter. Impressions and Let's Play below:
If Nintendo asked Renegade Kid to make a Metroid game, Xeodrifter would be it. Everything that makes Metroid great is featured in Xeodrifter.
My Let's Play can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygvew8U9Fyo
Nice. Reminds me of Mutant Mudds with the pseudo-3D-2D gameplay.

Humble Iceberg bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Nuclear Dawn
  • The Lost Crown
  • Star Ruler
  • Blades of Time LE
TIER 2: BTA
  • StarDrive
  • Horizon
  • Gas Guzzlers Extreme
TIER 3: 25$
  • Starpoint Gemini 2
Woah. Awesome bundle!
Lately bundle sites have been on fire I tell you!
Are those games good?

Yeah, this one. It's currently 35$/32€. So you save about 30% + many other games.

But seriously. Starpoint Gemini 2 is an awesome game - from all what I read and watched.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Humble Iceberg bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Nuclear Dawn
  • The Lost Crown
  • Star Ruler
  • Blades of Time LE
TIER 2: BTA
  • StarDrive
  • Horizon
  • Gas Guzzlers Extreme
TIER 3: 25$
  • Starpoint Gemini 2

Wow, that's actually a damn fine bundle, I don't own any of them and like half are on my wishlist. I have no time for new games but that is such a great deal that I'm buying it anyway.

Gaben help me. :(

Tizoc

Uplay blocks family share.

SteamDB is the easiest place to check on that, though Enhanced Steam might have something for you.

For those that can't watch, how is the performance?

I think part of the reason the game's performance wnet down when I played was because I was streaming. I've set it to as low bitrate as possible now, so hopefully when I broadcast again it won't be sluggish.
At its best, FF13 runs at a smooth 60 FPS. I do notice a little artifacting from reflections and lights though.

Just read his last post

As I posted it might have been running slow because I was streaming. Post Lake Bersha game is steady 60 FPS.

Lomax

Isn't Stardrive broken as fuck and generally poopoo'd on, though?

Probably, but space bears! I certainly wouldn't have dropped $7.50 on it but $3 with some other free games (Gas Guzzlers Extreme actually looks amusing) seemed worth it. I still need to get back to Endless Space so lord knows if I'll even play it. But space bears!

Jawmuncher

GOOD NEWS!

Originally Posted by Nirolak
IIRC people were fine with leaving the Community thread open (and wanted that to happen) since it helps keep the sale thread about the sale.

Looks like we're good to go.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend -- MB-66227CBB3CBF7FC0 - Taken by BernardoOne. 51 entrants total.
Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle -- MB-76696C9B5088DEB9 - Taken by Natty1. 4 entrants total.
The Book of Unwritten Tales Digital Deluxe Edition -- MB-6B9B584F8E90DBDE - Taken by trailmix16. 5 entrants total.

t1418329183z1.png

Anteater

I think part of the reason the game's performance wnet down when I played was because I was streaming. I've set it to as low bitrate as possible now, so hopefully when I broadcast again it won't be sluggish.
At its best, FF13 runs at a smooth 60 FPS. I do notice a little artifacting from reflections and lights though.

As I posted it might have been running slow because I was streaming. Post Lake Bersha game is steady 60 FPS.

It's mostly spells in battle that are slowing it down, it's worse at lake bresha and it's been the same for most people. Try spamming spells and you'll likely notice framerate drops. Other than that outside of area loading it will/should run at a steady 60.

Phawx

So here's an interesting thing. I owned Nuclear Dawn previously, but when I clicked on the redeem link in the new Humble Bundle, it says "Redeemed to Phawx"

So I guess it includes DLC or something>?

Tizoc

It's mostly spells in battle that are slowing it down, it's worse at lake bresha and it's been the same for most people. Try spamming spells and you'll likely notice framerate drops. Other than that outside of area loading it will/should run at a steady 60.

Spell spamming didn't cause slowdown to me >_>;

RS4-

I was looking at the videos for SGII on Steam, then saw the historical price for it, $5 on Uplay from last year, wtf.

bigzgod

Something I found laying around!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bigzgod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- MB-F3A46771A741FE9A - Taken by salazar547. 21 entrants total.

t1418412403z1.png

Hanzou

Uplay blocks family share.

SteamDB is the easiest place to check on that, though Enhanced Steam might have something for you.

For those that can't watch, how is the performance?

Enhanced Steam will usually give a warning if a game is blocked, though there are some games that stealth block Family Share. For example, apparently Activision blocked Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare retail versions from being shared but not AW copies bought from the Steam Store.

As a general rule, if there's a third party DRM involved, it's blocked from family share.
I thoughthat third party apps might block it. And I have enhanced steam so I will reference that when I get home. Thanks guys.

Dr Dogg

Well like fuck and I reading 40 odd pages!

So FF XIII-2 is a bit wonky but it pretty much on par for me (performance wise) with XIII. Arbitrary resolution support (sadly only in fullscreen) and some bonkers AA settings out the box is better than XIII had to offer so some progress. Vsync is on by default and I wouldn't really mess with GPU driver settings on that as it will just disable it and cause all manner of tearing as yet again it flip flops between a 16.6ms update and a 33.3 one for some bonkers reasons. Realistically Squinix should have just capped both of them at 30fps and had a big disclaimer that it might be a bit erratic if you uncap it. Plus trying to find a GeDoSaTo hash is proving to be a pain in the arse as there are so many different UI elements that are not all present on the screen at any given time so just when I think I've got it sorted another screen comes along with stuff that I've missed. Oh well fun and games.

Also those panicking about Phil Spencer being at the consumer Windows 10 event and I'm assuming those of you who didn't watch the enterprise reveal or faffed around with the tech preview Windows 10 is coming to every Microsoft device.
Does this mean GFWL 2.0? Well judging by the lackluster Windows App Store as is that's in Windows 8 (and is exactly the same so far in 10) I doubt it. But seeing how Store Apps now function in 10 I get the feeling that's the main benefit for Xbox One (which I swear MS were banging on about last May).

Sini

Does this mean GFWL 2.0? Well judging by the lackluster Windows App Store as is that's in Windows 8 (and is exactly the same so far in 10) I doubt it. But seeing how Store Apps now function in 10 I get the feeling that's the main benefit for Xbox One (which I swear MS were banging on about last May).
Durr
Well, if they want to do cross play for that fighting game they have to create system that can use xbonelive servers and stuff.
I believe that they will make something weird with it.

Edit: I bet no-one bothers to share their thoughts because I'm at the bottom again.

Top Bottom