• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

JyMkAGa.gif

Turfster

It's already live in your inventory.
Cards are worth a variable amount of gems, the more cards in a badge, the less they're worth.
Backgrounds at a quick glance are worth anywhere between 10 and 100 gems, emoticons something in the same range I think.

AsylumX

I won't bid, cause my luck I'll waste sure money for fresh air.

Don't bid now... The smartest thing to do is wait a couple of days until people start running out of gems. The first auction will have inflated bids. But after that, even with bad luck, you could win something.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
All of those backgrounds I held onto finally are worth something.

Yeah I just traded 10 copies of "Guarded" for 1000 gems.

At that rate, these auctions are going to get ridiculously overpriced in a hurry.

zkylon

zkylewd
Art_-_Announcement_-_Digital_Pro_Edition.png

i was looking at the call of duty thing to see if free weekend was up and thought i clicked in crysis' page by accident -__-

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just "bought" a Trails in the Sky booster pack with my gems (because animu reasons) and....

It gave me a Payday booster pack.

Fuckin' worthless.

EDIT: and now I have the TitS booster... so... yay?

Turfster

It's a pity TF2 items aren't included.
Will I never get rid of those damned crates...

Apparently, some foil cards are worth 120 gems, some 20.
Linked to the amount of cards in circulation?

oipic

Somewhere, someone out there will already be devising a cunning scheme to somehow exploit this gem/auction system. Let the games begin.

Hopefully Valve have all their ducks in a row this time, and have thought this through...

KarmaCow

Well at least I'll have less 3 cent backgrounds clogging my inventory, though I doubt I'll be able to win anything with all the crazies that end up having level 29572057205 holiday sale badges.

Zafir

Seriously? Even on PC Europe gets fucked over by Blazblue?

I try going to the page and it says unavailable in my region. >.>

Least it isn't region locked I suppose.

JustinBB7

Pointless system, rich only get richer like said before. Even if I would turn my entire backpack into gems I'll still get outbid anyway. So what's the point?

zkylon

zkylewd
remember when steam did that achievement thing for xmas

that was fun

remember when steam did fun stuff that didn't involve cards

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Pointless system, rich only get richer like said before. Even if I would turn my entire backpack into gems I'll still get outbid anyway. So what's the point?

that's EXACTLY the point - volvo hopes you'll buy more stuff to turn into gems ... so they get more money ... and more ... and more ... and more ... the only winner here is volvo - no one else, not really

derExperte

2014 Holiday Profile
Celebrate the season in style with this decorative holiday profile! Your heart may just grow 3 sizes as you are bathed in Holiday cheer!

Grants a gold effect to avatar and persona name.

Winners of this item can enable or disable the 2014 Holiday Profile by selecting the item in their Steam Inventory and selecting the Enable or Disable action. This item is not tradable nor can it be listed on the Steam Community Market.

This item is good for a limited time and will expire Jan 16th, 2015.

what

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

But it's good to finally get rid of all the cheap stuff I own that no one will ever buy.

It seems like buying cheap backgrounds, like some of FTL's $.03 backgrounds, is how you get the most gems for money spent.

jshackles

I think the only way to "win" from this (unless you're Valve) is to turn your gems into booster packs, open them, and sell the cards. So far I've turned about 60 cents worth of worthless items (20 x $0.03) into 3 boosters and sold the nine cards for about $0.17 each.

So I've made $0.93. Please be excited.

Top Bottom