• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

I wonder how long before all this crashes and burn once they find a loop/hole like with the coal...

I'm glad they are back with an event like this but, holy crap, at least I hope they thought about the scammers and the asshats who are going to destroy this. =/

Glad I held off crafting my badges, I'm crafting like a madman atm, heh.

Phinor

This is another great move by Valve. Also don't even dream of buying anything but crappy games with your inventory gems, there's hundreds of thousands if not millions of 100 gem backgrounds in the market. People will buy all of those and the most wanted games will cost hundreds of thousands of gems. Basically 9 dollars buys you 30000 gems so if the game is priced at 10 dollars, it's still worth buying gems and bidding 30000 gems on it (not taking into account upcoming sales etc. but some people never think that far).

I wonder how long before all this crashes and burn once they find a loop/hole like with the coal...

I'm glad they are back with an event like this but, holy crap, at least I hope they thought about the scammers and the asshats who are going to destroy this. =/

Glad I held off crafting my badges, I'm crafting like a madman atm, heh.

They will do something about it after it is broken. They can't predict everything so they let it play for a while, before actually doing something.

Phinor

Also the amount of e-mails Valve will end up sending, oh dear. An e-mail for every $0.03 purchase. This is going to be glorious.

This is another great move by Valve. Also don't even dream of buying anything but crappy games with your inventory gems, there's hundreds of thousands if not millions of 100 gem backgrounds in the market. People will buy all of those and the most wanted games will cost hundreds of thousands of gems. Basically 9 dollars buys you 30000 gems so if the game is priced at 10 dollars, it's still worth buying gems and bidding 30000 gems on it (not taking into account upcoming sales etc. but some people never think that far).

Good point.

The worst, however, is going to be the last 10 seconds of each bid where someone will drop a bomb in gems and always outgun everyone. See it happening. I guess Valve can actually get rid of a bunch of people just by monitoring this event and exposing them.

Lomax

The images of the winter sale cards are different when you look at the window from receiving your cards (This is the Clementine card):

98x115

They are just blank in your inventory. Doesn't really seem to indicate much though.

mrgone

ignore them and just buy what u want at low prices like you said

It'd be a lot easier, but it's hard to ignore with there generally, theoretically, being some benefit to participating. Looking at how far some folks are going to go with it this, then comparing that to just a "fun" level of participation and realizing that it's not going to amount to anything is kind of depressing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles, do you know anything more about the Trading Card Booster Pack part? Like how many gems you'd need?

I did it 3 times before it went down and it was incredibly cheap. I did a TitS booster, a Skullgirls booster, and an Final Fantasy XIII booster all for about 450 gems each.

My guess is it's down because they fucked up the cost formula

I did it 3 times before it went down and it was incredibly cheap. I did a TitS booster, a Skullgirls booster, and an Final Fantasy XIII booster all for about 450 gems each.

When it comes back, if it ever comes back, a booster is going to cost 2 million gems or something. I bet the gem counts are already off the charts and rising by the millisecond =/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
$3 sounds like a bit too much, I bought just a little bit over a hundred and it cost me about 80 rubles ($1.4 at the current rate).

That's because Russian rubles allow (I believe) a minimum price of 0.03 RUB, whereas in the US the minimum is 0.03 USD.

So literally the cheapest thing you can buy is $0.03. Times 100 = $3.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The images of the winter sale cards are different when you look at the window from receiving your cards (This is the Clementine card):

98x115

They are just blank in your inventory. Doesn't really seem to indicate much though.

The different pieces of artwork for the cards are kinda nice, I guess.

pfft, you guys can have your gems. I'm pleased with the background I got during a badge crafting frenzy.

image.php

Phinor

That's because Russian rubles allow (I believe) a minimum price of 0.03 RUB, whereas in the US the minimum is 0.03 USD.

So literally the cheapest thing you can buy is $0.03. Times 100 = $3.

Europeans are at a huuuge disadvantage here. No chance at all to compete against bidders from other countries. US is in the middle, ahead of Europeans but behind most other countries.

derExperte

yuraya

Wow the supposed Game of the year (Dragon Age) didn't even chart in the NA npd for consoles. And I'm sure it didn't sell all that well on Origin either.

EA are so stupid. They should have released it on Steam. When will they ever learn smh.

Tenrius

It's always 0.03 then?

That's pretty sucky. Brits get screwed because the pound is too strong in comparison. :/

It's the first and, I think, also the last time I've ever benefited from the gigantic plunge Russian national currency is currently taking.

jshackles

Very good point I didn't think of. EU has to invest 2x as much when doing this.

It's almost like they want to highlight the currency inequality that exists on Steam.

I guess the flip side of this is that people in places like Russia and Indonesia probably won't be willing to bid as many gems on games in the auction, considering their store prices will be lower than the rest of us anyway.

Turfster

Huh. It's been ages since I traded, but how long as the trade offer window said how long you've been friends with someone, what level they are and how long they've been on Steam?

Lomax

Could you do any game you had the drops for, or did you have to have the badge to get a booster?

Also, can you make enhanced steam make the bidding page have better sorting and filter options?

c5d5b517c9a526eb953dd4fd121667040b3512959c8de616ec8f2f01190d3540.jpg

jshackles

I didn't even notice the Gem Maker badge you get for converting things into gems for the first time until now.

scrapper_80.png

It levels up when you place a bid on an auction (and levels up again if you win!)

Could you do any game you had the drops for, or did you have to have the badge to get a booster?

Also, can you make enhanced steam make the bidding page have better sorting and filter options?

There was a drop down box, and you could pick any game - even ones you don't own or have a badge for.

Also I'll see about adding the hiding and continuous scrolling options to the auction page.

Nzyme32

Be warned, this first bid is going to be ridiculous since their is a 3 day gap till it happens. Normally that gap would be every 45mins

Zafir

Huh. It's been ages since I traded, but how long as the trade offer window said how long you've been friends with someone, what level they are and how long they've been on Steam?

Pretty recent. I noticed it when grabbing Blazblue today, but I didn't get it when I got Dungeon Defenders 2 last weekend.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't get the bidding thing tho

is steam giving away 200k copies for "free"?

anyways i had like 50 gems on a game and now it's 700 so yeah, who the fuck cares

Turfster

Be warned, this first bid is going to be ridiculous since their is a 3 day gap till it happens. Normally that gap would be every 45mins

Yeah, that's why I did conservative bids on a few things that interest me.
I mean, they're giving away 100 copies of most of them, so if you're in the first 100 bids, you're guaranteed a win eventually. (at the moment)

Lomax

Gem values per background seems to be set by game, and is not impacted by rarity, the Rare background is worth the same as the common ones. I wonder if there was any logic to the values or if it was purely random because some of the 100 gems ones are odd.

Also, I had a lot more badges waiting to be made than I realized. Guess six months of saving will do that.

Top Bottom