• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Nabs

Here's a lil' something I forgot I had:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nabs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Soundodger Plus and Soundtrack -- MB-BA4CA92B441E61E1 - Taken by RyanPierre

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
The Steam events are some insidious stuff.

I just made a bit over 100 gems and bid on a cheap and crappy game.

I would have bought like ten dollars worth of gems if the market wasn't messed up right now.

tmarg

i guess it's not really valve's fault but mine for being weird but all this weird speculating shit annoys the hell out of me

Nah, its not just you. These meta games based on market speculation have been super lame for a while now, but they obviously make money since Valve keep pushing them.

Lomax

r1UgLcF.png

now I gotta click hundreds of times through pages of this in order to lose money

I'd wait, the backgrounds won't go away but if they wipe gems in some fashion you might be able to get the gems later, or they may scale things up.

Annubis

And uh, how many gems is a boosterpack, then? Dunno if I can be bothered betting on stuff I wont win. :p

Oh... I think we just found why you can't craft boosters for now.

Imagine how many boosters you'd get for 3 billion.

(Someone said they were 450 gems)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
i guess it's not really valve's fault but mine for being weird but all this weird speculating shit annoys the hell out of me

It is a contrivance built purely to influence their card economy and generate revenue for them. The upside is you're under no obligation to participate and can have deep, hearty belly laughs at the resulting shenanigans.

Like so: Hoohohohoho!

Salsa

I'd wait, the backgrounds won't go away but if they wipe gems in some fashion you might be able to get the gems later, or they may scale things up.

there's no way their way of "fixing this" is wiping away all gems

that would only be more troublesome, people already spent money on them

Colin.

Is there any other items worth 100 gems, other than the CS:GO stuff? And are the holiday cards now dropping if you craft your badges now? Been saving a bunch of cards up for this.

Turfster

Lol now the gem crafting dialogs don't even return any text.
I think I'm done converting stuff for a while =p

Is there any other items worth 100 gems, other than the CS:GO stuff? And are the holiday cards now dropping if you craft your badges now? Been saving a bunch of cards up for this.

Many, the point is that there's so many shitty CSGO backgrounds that they're at the lowest possible price point (0.03$/0.03€)
Cards drop when you badge now.

Lomax

there's no way their way of "fixing this" is wiping away all gems

that would only be more troublesome, people already spent money on them

Well they've got to do something if people have billions of gems at this point. I don't see any benefit of cashing stuff in now, I think it's better to just wait and see how it sorts out.

Yes, there are some other games, but for the most part the 3 cent stuff on those games has been wiped out already because they started with much lower volume than CS:GO. And the winter sale cards are dropping, craft away :)

This should work. My apologies if it doesn't.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

fab2e3b2ec6d14c6fc3ccd1671e85f85d0bbd91e.jpg

Don't Starve Together (Beta) -- MB-3281832B6153A8F7 - Taken by derExperte. 4 entrants total.

t1418348204z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
There seems to be a exploit that will multiply your gems. Gem crafting is down probably to fix that before things get too out of hand.

Nzyme32

I think valve have pulled the plug to fix the holes - figure I would be one of the few to LOSE gems rather than generate them.

Instructions unclear

Pakkidis

I was going to do this until I realized there are probably people on steam who are going to buy a shit ton of items convert it to gems and thus the lowly average person (i.e me) stands no chance of winning.

Colin.

Yes, there are some other games, but for the most part the 3 cent stuff on those games has been wiped out already because they started with much lower volume than CS:GO. And the winter sale cards are dropping, craft away :)

I saw that with that "Guarded" background. Went from 60k+ to 40 pretty fast, so I guess I'm not surprised. Just wanted to get an idea of what other stuff I should look out for. As it appears to be cheaper for me to trade for these backgrounds, thanks to my currency £££

Lomax

In theory, they could correct things, they have the capability to reverse any invalid deals, and it's possible that is an automatic process once something is revoked from existence. We'll see if it happens.

tmarg

i dont understand this thing with the gems , can anyone explain me?

You can now break down unwanted and otherwise worthless marketplace items into gems, which can be used to buy card boosters or bid on games.

The gem crafting system is broken somehow, and people have managed to get billions of gems.

A lot of people speculated on gems, and have lost money, because they are now effectively worthless, since there are billions of extra ones out there.

Valve can't get rid of the gems, because they are marketable, and legitimate customers have spent money on them by now.

Top Bottom