• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

bigzgod

You can now break down unwanted and otherwise worthless marketplace items into gems, which can be used to buy card boosters or bid on games.

The gem crafting system is broken somehow, and people have managed to get billions of gems.

A lot of people speculated on gems, and have lost money, because they are now effectively worthless, since there are billions of extra ones out there.

Valve can't get rid of the gems, because they are marketable, and legitimate customers have spent money on them by now.

The better question is what happens to those that exploited the bug to get gems that they then sold on the market?

Kiru

I turned a foil into gems. Was 320. It later became 120, that was before gem crafting was down. Valve, why... :(

So, the Auction FAQ says this:

What if something goes wrong?

Valve won't be liable for bids or transactions that are late, misdirected, garbled, or otherwise invalid. Attempts to transact or bid by automated means may be blocked or otherwise rejected. If the Holiday Auction is disrupted for any reason, Valve may, in its sole discretion, reverse invalid transactions or provide an alternative for game auctions and/or other Steam Gem transactions.

Looks like they didn't mention possible Steam Gem conversion fuckups :lol

tmarg

The better question is what happens to those that exploited the bug to get gems that they then sold on the market?

It might be an interesting question, but it's relatively unimportant to what's going to happen going forward. The damage has pretty much already been done.

I don't really feel the need to convert cards to gems for a chance at winning a game. There will probably always be someone who beats your bid, then at the end of the Auction, you lose the gems anyway.

MUnited83

For you.
104582-Community-Troy-fire-screaming-LUDE.gif

No clue why people are already bidding... it's a waste of gems. Wait til it's every 45 minutes.

Nope. Bids go through to the next round. So all those insane bids? They carry over.

I don't really feel the need to convert cards to gems for a chance at winning a game. There will probably always be someone who beats your bid, then at the end of the Auction, you lose the gems anyway.
You don't lose the gems.

bigzgod

It might be an interesting question, but it's relatively unimportant to what's going to happen going forward. The damage has pretty much already been done.

Agreed. The only ways I can think of to fix it are to either scrap the entire system and refund everyone who bought sacks of gems during that time period (everyone else who bought backgrounds are screwed) or they try and figure out who exploited and bring the hammer down on them while fixing the gem totals.

Both solutions sound complicated and hard to pull off.

Salsa

ah ok

so is this something worth getting into

will i lose my money when trying to turn stuff into boosters?

ughhh i fucking hate this shit

I bought 100 guarded and already regret it for the clicking alone

in theory you could get some money but mostly you get a lot of random draws where you can get foils from boosters or craft badges or whatever the shit

basically I thought easy money and all I got was being balls deep into this game I wanted no part of

fuck everything

Lomax

I think there's reason to believe the gem system will exist after the auctions simply for conversion to boosters and future promotions. Which is yet another reason why they have to figure out some way to fix the glitch gems that happened.

ah ok

If you want gems, you should wait and pick up a bag of gems. You can get 1000 gems instantly, which would cost you $0.30 if you converted Guarded backgrounds (10 * 0.03).

Don't get burned like the rest of us, girl :p

r3n4ud

in theory you could get some money but mostly you get a lot of random draws where you can get foils from boosters or craft badges or whatever the shit

basically I thought easy money and all I got was being balls deep into this game I wanted no part of

fuck everything
This is why you should stick to your ds.

tmarg

ah ok

I wouldn't get into this stuff until we know what Valve are going to do about the current situation.

If they don't figure out something, the extra gems on the market could absolutely cause booster/card prices to plummet, and you could lose money.

Man, I don't know if I'm down with this whole Gem thing. Spending money and items just for a CHANCE to POSSIBLY, MAYBE get the OPPORTUNITY to buy something at a slightly less price, when the Steam sale is next week seems stupid.

zkylon

zkylewd

fuck everything

I wouldn't get into this stuff until we know what Valve are going to do about the current situation.

If they don't figure out something, the extra gems on the market could absolutely cause booster/card prices to plummet, and you could lose money.

If you want gems, you should wait and pick up a bag of gems. You can get 1000 gems instantly, which would cost you $0.30 if you converted Guarded backgrounds (10 * 0.03).

Don't get burned like the rest of us, girl :p

ok thanks i think i'll just not do anything for my sanity's sake

how do i buy games tho

Is booster creator down? Its not opening for me

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/boostercreator/
yea been down for a while

Turfster

I think there's reason to believe the gem system will exist after the auctions simply for conversion to boosters and future promotions. Which is yet another reason why they have to figure out some way to fix the glitch gems that happened.

Auction page pretty much states that gems will keep existing after the sale ends.

tmarg

Man, I don't know if I'm down with this whole Gem thing. Spending money and items just for a CHANCE to POSSIBLY, MAYBE get the OPPORTUNITY to buy something at a slightly less price, when the Steam sale is next week seems stupid.

The auctions are just going on for a few days. The long term intended purpose of gems was supposed to be buying boosters, which you should still be able to do even if you don't win any auctions.

Top Bottom