• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

This gem stuff is nuts. In putinbucks 1 sack costs like 0.24 rubles (0.003€) compared to 0.03€ in the euro market. Where does the extra money go? :p

What extra money? :lol

As much as some people seem to think everything hinges off the exchange rate, it actually doesn't (and shouldn't). This is why there's a EU region 2 price category and not just an EU category for the Euro (and very much the reason why Santa left me a copy of The Talos Principle :3)

Step 1: Get a chair

Step 2: Watch and laugh while everything burns down

I have taught you well, my padawan.
At least we managed to maybe make you some profit before everything was just ash. :p

bigzgod

Why a community but no trade ban? And how do you know he got banned because of the gempocalypse?

Well, so far, I've checked 2 different users that had a ton of gems from the exploit. Both were community banned and both had millions of gems from the bug. I'm guessing the ban and the millions of gems are related but I won't know for certain until there's more data to correlate.

Edit: In case it matters, both also had tens of thousands of sacks of gems. I'd imagine that means they were attempting to sell them, which probably lead to the bans.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Honestly I think the most fascinating thing about this is going through the auction list and seeing what games get what bids. Poor point and click adventure titles, always rather low, sometimes even lower than games that simply do not work or are incomplete.

Annubis

Well, so far, I've checked 2 different users that had a ton of gems from the exploit. Both were community banned and both had millions of gems from the bug. I'm guessing the ban and the millions of gems are related but I won't know for certain until there's more data to correlate.

Edit: In case it matters, both also had tens of thousands of sacks of gems. I'd imagine that means they were attempting to sell them, which probably lead to the bans.

Problem is, even with the bans, there's millions of x1000 gems on the market now from everyone that had the same idea.

Lomax

It's all fine and good for them to ban those people but if they didn't remove the gems, which they obviously didn't, it's all for nothing.

derExperte

I sold a few sacks that I made thanks to the exploit but probably nothing compared to some others. If I'm banned in a few hours we'll know for sure.

Gem no longer marketable.

Pack it up guys. I get every booster pack that I can before the redomination.

Interesting. Could be good for the price of certain 100 gem cards.

I didn't go too hard buying gems - just sold off a few cards, bought about 20 sacks, now I have 5 badges ready to go and hopefully a few more once I can get some trades going.

I assume it's prudent to cash in the badges once the sale starts and not before?

StAidan

Well, I made a few booster packs but never succeeded in buying those cheap market gems. At least I'll get some nice new badges out of the deal.

Turfster

Honestly I think the most fascinating thing about this is going through the auction list and seeing what games get what bids. Poor point and click adventure titles, always rather low, sometimes even lower than games that simply do not work or are incomplete.
No. This is good.
Means I have a better chance of getting the games I want cheaply!

baterism

Still hundreds of gem sacks to be clicked. My hand is tired...

Edit: I remember auto clicker that I used to debug my game. Through some window adjustment I no longer need to click. Sweet. Free Mouse Auto Clicker is the name.

someone should make a thread with hidden/cheap gems which got overlooked in the auction house.
-
That's true. I'm living the life.
image.php

you sound sad, coupled with that avi :(

i really do wish for you to see the endless greenery here in germany

and aussie is a beautiful place. many would love to change with you!
-
what happened? sacks are dropping and its market page won't open.

I'll probably turn my crappy backgrounds and emoticons into gems and sell them, this auction business seems too much like work to participate in.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
image.php

you sound sad, coupled with that avi :(

i really do wish for you to see the endless greenery here in germany

and aussie is a beautiful place. many would love to change with you!

One of my mates was supposed to study abroad in Germany for a semester, but I don't think that's happening anymore.

almost 2 millions sacks vanished from the market and you can't open the sacks market page anymore

indirect acceptance that it didn't go as planned

But that has more to do with the bug that people got millions of gems at once. Not that I can complain. Finished some badges, still have 150.000 gems and I have about the same money as I had before.

Top Bottom