• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Turfster

Well I was going to craft them into boosters, then unpack and sell them. Card market hopefully recovers and then I'll be set.

Not anywhere in the near future it won't.
Booster pack market is also almost completely tapped out, with people listing booster packs for retarded amounts of money, as if people can't just make their own for much less.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TQ75GW6.png

i really wish they made it easier to sell stuff.

Colin.

Well I was going to craft them into boosters, then unpack and sell them. Card market hopefully recovers and then I'll be set.

With the way both card and booster values are plummeting due to this, I think people would be better off holding on to their cards/boosters until after the sale. Once the Steam market recovers, and goes back to normal levels.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
With the way both card and booster values are plummeting due to this, I think people would be better off holding on to their cards/boosters until after the sale. Once the Steam market recovers, and goes back to normal levels.

So what you're saying is this is an excellent time to buy cards?

bigzgod

They won't recover for the most part unless crafting for boosters or gems disappear after the sale. While Valve made it so cards aren't completely worthless by not allowing sacks to be sold, you can still get 1000 gems for $.30, which is more than enough to craft a booster pack. That caps the value of a booster pack at $.30 and each individual card at a max of $.10. Coupled with normal drops, I wouldn't be surprised to see the average card value dip to around $.05-$.08 per, if the booster crafting mechanic stays for good.

You can use gems to enter an auction for some game.
Or use gems to craft a booster.

You missed some bug on Steam, where people got millions of gems all at once, then sold them on the market for 3 cents.

Tears and regret.

You missed the beginning of the Great Winter Crash. The market for cards has been cut down in its prime.

The complete destruction of the card market.

Why do I always miss all the fun? >.<

MUnited83

For you.

Will never happen. Gems don't expire and boosters will continue to be craftable.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any chance you could have the Wishlist show how much top bid on the gem auction is?

IE: I look at my list and beside price I see the current gem bid for the hour.

Admittedly limited usage (winter sale only) but it'd make winning those auctions easier.

It'd be kind of tough to do, since the games on auction aren't identified by their normal App ID. I'd have to write a back-end server process to scan through all 133 pages of the auction, map those items to regular App IDs, then capture the gem value. And once the auctions start moving forward at a regular pace, this process would need to be done several times an hour.

For it's admittedly limited use, I just don't think it's feasible to implement. I agree it would have been nice for Valve to do this themselves.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will never happen. Gems don't expire and boosters will continue to be craftable.

The auction ends on the 18th, though, and I don't think auctions will live on as a general feature as Valve can't manually add games to user accounts without pushing them through Steam's backend as a purchase, meaning the entire cost comes out of Valve's pocket.

Edit: To clarify, I'm saying once the auction is over, gems will probably stop being obtainable aside from market purchases (unless Valve imposes an expiry date), so there'll be a finite amount.

Edit edit: Well, now they're non-marketable, so saoirseshrug.gif, haha.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Last Inua -- MB-043C6A803D825A66 - Taken by alr1ght. 22 entrants total.

t1418366084z1.png

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
You know the steam.tools website that gives you a value for your Steam inventory?

Apparently mine has lost ten bucks worth of value since the auction stuff started. I wonder if there's going to be any sort of action that's going to re-introduce value for cards after this, or if they're just burning it down.

When cards were first introduced there was the whole 'Series 1' idea like maybe they'd be of limited quantities at some point. I wonder if something like that is going to happen after this. It would take all of the lazy devs signing off on a new round of cards and backgrounds though, wouldn't it?

_hekk05

Banned
A reminder that volvo earns 1 cent from each 3 cent transaction.

Assuming 1 million sacks of gems have been sold in the past 2 hours, volvo just earned 10 thousand bucks

all according to keikaku

TL note: keikaku means plan

madjoki

A reminder that volvo earns 1 cent from each 3 cent transaction.

Assuming 1 million sacks of gems have been sold in the past 2 hours, volvo just earned 10 thousand bucks

all according to keikaku

TL note: keikaku means plan

Valve gets two cents actually.

what the hell did I craft my shitty holiday backgrounds then for? I can't click on the gem sacks on the market now and I couldn't when the event started either.

Using backgrounds for gems was the best way to get gems when it went live, then the gem price went to hell and it became better to buy the sacks.

inm8num2

Wooow, had no idea this shit went down. Damn, how is valve gonna dig themselves out of this ditch?

By laughing at everyone and taking their 15% cut on market transactions (or 2 cents on 3 cent gem bags). ;)

Also, holiday sale cards were above 20 cents an hour ago and now seem to all be under 20 cents.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve gets two cents actually.

Yeah, the app developer cut of 10% plus the transaction fee of 5% is rounded up to 1c on particularly worthless items, so in the case of the gems Valve gets both as the "app" is Steam itself.

Elija2

I can sell and buy other stuff on the market just fine, but for some reason I can't even access the gems listings.

Oh well, I've got a bunch of badges locked-and-loaded for when the sale stars (assuming we'll be getting anything for crafting them during that time).

bigzgod

Reposting this, since I forgot to set it as a rule so that modbot would handle the repost

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bigzgod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- MB-F3A46771A741FE9A - Taken by salazar547. 21 entrants total.

t1418412403z1.png

Top Bottom