• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seem to be back now, but they were definitely taken down for a moment. I saw there weren't any there, and then went to my own inventory to check and they were tagged as not marketable

...veggie would have seen right through my dirty joke. youre no fun marg :(

Tellaerin

Looks like I missed the gem madness. Reading over the last few pages, I'm kind of glad I've been idling stuff and selling off the cards as soon as possible.

Game:

ModBot [b said:
Instructions for participants:[/b]
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Yury -- MB-ECE0A6630659F6BB - Taken by Tellaerin

Annubis

They must have somehow got such with exploit and so the market got destroyed

Not even an exploit. 100% Valve's fault.
There was a bug on their side that would double the number of gems.
Do this for a while and it becomes pretty exponential.

They cleared most of them, but people who turned the gems into bag kept them it seems.
Valve couldn't clean it all before it destroyed everything.

_hekk05

Banned
Well I'mma craft me cards so I can complete badges. Gain levels so I can obtain more boosters hehehe

still have 15000 gems left. That ought to let me craft enough to complete maybe 5 games?

Colin.

Wonder if this means the sacks of gems will no longer be marketable at all, and turning things into gems will be the only way to get them..

tmarg

They cleared most of them, but people who turned the gems into bag kept them it seems.

It was definitely an exploit. You had to craft a lot of stuff in rapid succession to get the glitch to appear, and you needed a lot of separate instances of the glitch to get the number of gems people have.

Sure, Valve should have tested this better, but this didn't happen by accident. People knew exactly what they were doing.

Parsnip

Well, I'm heading to bed.

When I wake up tomorrow and there's only a smoking crater where steam store used to be, I'll blame all of you guys.

agniswarm

Banned

ok thats how..!!
well card prices already crashed..

Annubis

started with $5

at $3.75 and 50k gems

too tired to go on fml

I actually managed to recoup my loss and even make an extra single buck.
I guess I can go to sleep now.

Probably could have made more profit if I played the market much quicker and better...
Oh well...

Oh yeah, I'm number 95 on dynasty warriors, so nobody bet on that, k?

_hekk05

Banned
I would advise keeping emoticons and cards. Backgrounds are pretty useless, so if it isn't a waifu background just turn it into gems and craft some boosters. I'm gonna keep most of my cards and set them to high prices. Eventually prices will rise. Eventually.

I'm young and I got the time lol

SmithnCo

Should I turn my items and backgrounds into gems?
Or is that a bad idea at the moment?

Bad idea, I'm guessing they will wipe the gem values or something.

edit- Maybe not wiping, but they will have to seriously overhaul this to account for people with insane gem amounts.

Elija2

The holiday stuff is no longer on the front page and this shows up on the auction page:

Sorry, but there have been some issues with Gems and the Steam Holiday Auction has been temporarily closed. The elves are working franctically to get the issues sorted out, and the auction will start again as soon as they're done.

Can't make bids, gems, or craft booster packs anymore. I wonder what's gonna happen next.

SSPssp

For the market to recover, I guess we have to hope the auctions suck up a lot of the excess gems. I hope that Valve creates more auctions for special "limited" backgrounds, badges and whatnot to suck up gems.

Maybe they should have stuff that are ultra-limited to only a handful of people or even to only 1 person. I think that could get people to dump everything they have into it.

I'm glad I got 130,000 or so gems, but I really wish I had gotten more. Now that cards are worthless, I want to craft a lot of badges.

inm8num2

Booster creator page now just goes to trading cards FAQ.

Also this on the main auction page:

Sorry, but there have been some issues with Gems and the Steam Holiday Auction has been temporarily closed. The elves are working franctically to get the issues sorted out, and the auction will start again as soon as they're done.

Turfster

Aaand it's down for a while.
Sorry, but there have been some issues with Gems and the Steam Holiday Auction has been temporarily closed. The elves are working frantically to get the issues sorted out, and the auction will start again as soon as they're done.
I'd just spent a few hours trawling through the list and tagging shit too.
Hopefully, it'll remember what I tagged...

Looks like they killed the booster crafting.

It's been kind of hilarious watching the craziness. I wonder who's the idiot at Valve that came up with this, and didn't foresee people using it like they did...

Top Bottom