• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Jørdan

I need that for Anno during the sale :( and it's not like I had much in my wallet to begin with hence the gems for mashing out cards. It's obviously a paltry amount and far less than others, it still stings.

I think JaseC is right though, they'll be a substitute surely as many people bought them in good faith from the market. Although I bought them for an expressed purpose so if I end up getting 40k gems back to use and it's not applicable to boosters I'm going to be miffed :p

AsylumX

Reboot the market!

They can't do that, people won't trust them anymore and it will be the same as closing the market. They just need to suck it up and fire the guy who coded all this event...

PS: I'm still making badges... because... why not.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I just woke up and saw this whole gem crap, can someone explain me real quick what happened? please?

People start turning their unused inventory items into gems and some notice their current pile of gems is getting double/tripled, This ends up leading into a giant crash of the market since you could buy booster packs with gems.

If the game auctioning w/ gems ever went through it would have been a clusterfuck.

JustLynx

People start turning their unused inventory items into gems and some notice their current pile of gems is getting double/tripled, This ends up leading into a giant crash of the market since you could buy booster packs with gems.

I see, so you recycle items, get gems, buy boosters and start over?

Deques

I woke and saw the news about auction on my phone. When I get to a computer to see what the deal is and the auction is down?
I guess I missed something

SmithnCo

I just woke up and saw this whole gem crap, can someone explain me real quick what happened? please?

Valve introduces a system where you can buy gems to bid on games during the sale. You could use these to craft booster packs of three cards, but the value of the gems tanked, so you could buy 1000 for 3 cents, craft cards for 600-1200 gems, and then sell the cards back and make a profit. This obviously tanked card values and add in the fact that you could duplicate gems via a bug (why the gem value tanked probably) and it was a total mess.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I see, so you recycle items, get gems, buy boosters and start over?

Exactly. Buy boosters then sell the cards to buy more gems ridiculously cheap. The only limit was 1 booster per game a day but people with huge libraries had A LOT of boosters to buy.

craft cards for 600-1200 gems, and then sell the cards back and make a profit.

A few games were even 400 gems for the booster. Wasteland 2 was one of them.

JustLynx

Valve introduces a system where you can buy gems to bid on games during the sale. You could use these to craft booster packs of three cards, but the value of the gems tanked, so you could buy 1000 for 3 cents, craft cards for 600-1200 gems, and then sell the cards back and make a profit. This obviously tanked card values and add in the fact that you could duplicate gems via a bug (why the gem value tanked probably) and it was a total mess.

Exactly. Buy boosters then sell the cards to buy more gems ridiculously cheap. The only limit was 1 booster per game a day but people with huge libraries had A LOT of boosters to buy.

A few games were even 400 gems for the booster. Wasteland 2 was one of them.

thank you :)

baterism

So the Auction crashed because Valve are incompetent in how a market works?

I believe it's not the market. It's the glitch. Without those glitch it won't be as bad as it is. Gem price falling because the glitch double gem amount by doing some tricks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So the Auction crashed because Valve are incompetent in how a market works?

"So we hold a few auctions, right?"
"Right."
"And people use gems to bid, which they can get from recycling unwanted inventory items or the Steam Community market, right?"
"Right."
*launch*

_hekk05

Banned
your _ is making my ocd twitch

*whispers* I put it there on purpose *whispers*

It also elevates me automatically to the first on any list if they sort by alphabetical order.

Too bad PSN doesn't allow a symbol to be the first letter.

I'm getting inventory is unavailable at the moment. I just wanna admire my card collection T.T

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It is a contrivance built purely to influence their card economy and generate revenue for them. The upside is you're under no obligation to participate and can have deep, hearty belly laughs at the resulting shenanigans.

Like so: Hoohohohoho!

Once more: Hooohoohoohooo!

Tizoc

King of Fighters 98 UM is releasing today, get hype!
Call your buddies over, hook up some sticks or controllers and don't pick Athena for some good times~

Monooboe

Whoa, I missed the whole ordeal with the gems. I was fun reading the last 15 pages though.:D Glad I missed it, seems I would have done some bad choices with my 1000 cards.XD But when it comes back, the gemcrafting, is there a benefit to crafting badges?

Tizoc

Careful, that's modded.
Haruka does not fight physically at all. She just has idol singing and dancing contests.

(I wouldn't wait anyone buying the game because they think THIS gif is true)

I await 10 years from now when SEGA brings many of their games on Steam, and Yakuza 5 being one of them. That is modded so hard so I can kickass as Haruka *.*

Knurek

I await 10 years from now when SEGA brings many of their games on Steam, and Yakuza 5 being one of them. That is modded so hard so I can kickass as Haruka *.*

More importantly, can you play Mahjong as Haruka?
(Or was that only in Yakuza 2?)

Top Bottom