• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

The Russian Ruble is almost dead, unbelievable. During summer 99rub were ~2,10€. Two or three weeks ago we were at 1,5€ and today it's 1,38€. Which of course means older games that aren't region/trade locked have become even cheaper than before, Shovel Knight is below 5€ for example.

Well that's true if you find a honest trader I guess.

Durante

I am incredibly amused by the fact that we just had this DA:I love thread which started with "I Hate WRPGs".

Since that one was locked, I missed my chance to quote that and reply "No wonder you like DA:I" :(

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
youre killing me

There is a soft limit of 100-200 (JaseC knows the actual number) due to post limits and modbot being unable to edit giveaways if there is too much text.

I am incredibly amused by the fact that we just had this DA:I love thread which started with "I Hate WRPGs".

Since that one was locked, I missed my chance to quote that and reply "No wonder you like DA:I" :(

That's a bit brutal. Funny, and I support it, but brutal nonetheless. :p

Sarcasm

Ooooohhhh, that's actually a nice paint job you can earn through this.

I'm going to have to do this over the weekend I think.

When does this start? Can you do it right out of the gate? How do I do it? I want to start a new company cause of achievements.

Kiru

When does this start? Can you do it right out of the gate? How do I do it? I want to start a new company cause of achievements.

You only need the latest update, it's available for me now. Also:
The task at hand is delivering a unique kind of cargo over the distance equal to that of SCS Software office and the North Pole. Note that this distance can be covered across multiple deliveries. Progress of the deliveries can be tracked from your World of Trucks profile

Knurek

The real question should be - "Is DA:I a better WRPG than Final Fantasy XIII a JRPG?"

I woke up to find a random hairy one eyed monster on my taskbar!

It was just Desura's new icon / mascot, you pervs.

Yea... I think I'll just banish it to the start menu now.

That thread left me speechless. 'You should like this RPG because it is not an RPG.'

Thankfully PC is having an RPG renaissance with games like Dead State to enjoy.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of fenners, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Blades of Time Limited Edition -- MB-83573F57A83A712C - Taken by Cth. 17 entrants total.

t1418436174z1.png

Maniac

Banned
I'm shitting my pants everytime I read a headline like "Russian fighter jets making mock attack attempts on US military ships", which seems to be a weekly occurrence as of late. :\

They're doing attack 'drills' / simulated attacks in danish airspace and flying close to Bornholm. (For those of you that don't know; it's the island the russians occupied during part of, and for a long time after the second world war)

Needless to say, Bornholmers fucking hate russians and are also somewhat terrified. So hurray!
--------------------
Anyway, gems. Boosters. Why do all these great buggy escapades take place when it's night here? :'(

Damnit volvo

so gems are going to make a come back, right?

I still have some in my inventory. Ended up making about $1 last night with FF13 and LLTQ cards before I ran out of gems.

Dr Dogg

For me DA:I is BioWare's recent efforts from both the DA and ME franchises distilled down into one homogenised entity (well that's either good or bad depending on your point of view). Though the way I see it, as just a snack for some of the big boys coming out next year.

Or more along the lines of DA:I is like a buffet where you have lots of small appealing little side dishes, canapes and entrees but as a whole the meal is rather unfulfilling and if left alone for a while each element goes stale. Where as any flipping Obsidian game is like a banquet fit for Henry VIII with a choice of starters, a great big hog roast for the main course, piles of fruit for dessert and all surrounded by complementary foodstuffs. Of course once you've binged out of that you can feel a little sick.

Well that was a rather odd analogy.

For me DA:I is BioWare's recent efforts from both the DA and ME franchises distilled down into one homogenised entity (well that's either good or bad depending on your point of view). Though the way I see it, as just a snack for some of the big boys coming out next year.

Or more along the lines of DA:I is like a buffet where you have lots of small appealing little side dishes, canapes and entrees but as a whole the meal is rather unfulfilling and if left alone for a while each element goes stale. Where as any flipping Obsidian game is like a banquet fit for Henry VIII with a choice of starters, a great big hog roast for the main course, piles of fruit for dessert and all surrounded by complementary foodstuffs. Of course once you've binged out of that you can feel a little sick.

Well that was a rather odd analogy.

All I know is, I'm hungry now.

And I'm about 40+ hours deep in DA:I now and things are just started to getting old. Time to plow through the rest of the story.

so gems are going to make a come back, right?

I still have some in my inventory. Ended up making about $1 last night with FF13 and LLTQ cards before I ran out of gems.

How do you make money like that? I bought some 3 cent backgrounds that turned into 80 gems each, but then it's 1200 gems (45 cents) to get a single booster of a 5-card game, which equals 3 cards that would sell for maybe ten cents each. I must be doing it wrong :p

Also, I was saving up cards to make badges during the sale, and then sell the holiday cards like before, but it looks like the holiday cards are only $.23 now?

Knurek

What's the best way to add some temporal anti-aliasing for games?
I'm noticing a disturbing amount of shimmering while playing games, even with MSAAx4 or x8...

How do you make money like that? I bought some 3 cent backgrounds that turned into 80 gems each, but then it's 1200 gems (45 cents) to get a single booster of a 5-card game, which equals 3 cards that would sell for maybe ten cents each. I must be doing it wrong :p

Also, I was saving up cards to make badges during the sale, and then sell the holiday cards like before, but it looks like the holiday cards are only $.23 now?
There were backs of 1000 gems going for $0.03 last night. That was what all the fuss was. Buy a bag, make a booster, sell the booster (or open for foils), repeat.

Speaking of which, is the entire auctions system gone now? I don't see anything about the gems, boosters or auctions.

Cth

I have the remainder of the gem bags I bought last night. 54 out of the 100 I bought.

Still have my badges and level increase.

Maybe I forgot I had gem bags left over from last night.

^ that bad? hm.

I had some backgrounds and emoticons I turned into gems, used those to buy boosters and sell the cards.

Had some orders in for more gems, but they got pulled before. Gem sacks were .03 for 1000 at one point, which would make things a bit easier.

Parsnip

Well despite my japanese being nonexistent seeing 3325x1871 in what is painfully obvious is the resolution setting fills my heart with glee (ie that's an Nvidia DSR selectable resolution) though I think I caught 60fps being the maximum so fingers crossed framepacing is alright and bit of bugger for high refresh folks. Other than that there's a lot more dynamism in the effects work here and there as well as quality will more than likely be improved (waste of time trying to look out for it on YouTube footage) but gameplay is obviously going to be largely the same. Still I own GZ on PS3 so it's a monumental upgrade!

I'm just mostly excited about borderless fullscreen.

Dr Dogg

All I know is, I'm hungry now.

And I'm about 40+ hours deep in DA:I now and things are just started to getting old. Time to plow through the rest of the story.

Here's one of my issues. Never does the game tell you 'hey buddy you might not want to do all these checklist and fetch quests just yet or you'll burn yourself out but you do need to do some at some points to obtain more of this resource to unlock new areas and unlock story progression but it's all you choice you know'. To be fair I twigged it pretty quickly and devised a path of stuff I want to do when and where but you could spend hours pissing about and not get anything done. It's no where near as bad as Kingdoms of Amular but so far outside of the critical path and the companion missions I don't have that much of a connection to the world or events going on.

I can see this quote in the next trailer for Obsidian's latest game.

I'm sure by the time PoE is in my hands I'll be regularly sprouting much more stupid things!

I'm just mostly excited about borderless fullscreen.

Well that and after 12 long years Metal Gear is back on PC and might actually be a bang up job this time. Though 21:9 support might push me over the edge to get another monitor or finally get a projector.

milena87

Then you'll quickly go through the anti-climatic final main quests and be disappointed.

I agree, that was an extremely disappointing last boss. After beating all those damn dragons and having crafted my ultimate weapons and amors, that fight was a joke.
And I was also expecting something more, instead you start the mission and immediately fight him. No last choices, no sense of urgency, no big emotional reward.

I was a lot more interested in what happened next
with Solas and Flemeth
, but I guess they kept the most interesting parts for the next game :/

Lomax

A few of my lagged out Bag of Gems orders showed up on my market page this morning, I'm going to keep them there as a reminder of gempocalypse. I think while the overall market was definitely pushed down, the typical cards which were already in the 8-12 cent range survived mostly unaffected, but we'll see. Winter Sale card prices are starting to creep up as well.

Durante

In other "unfulfilled trolling ideas" news, I was and am incredibly tempted to make a "2015: Year of the PC (Only a small subset of all exclusives)" thread :p

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hmm.. don't know whether to start crafting junk now to get the holiday cards or wait and see if there are incentives for doing it during the sale.

Lomax

Hmm.. don't know whether to start crafting junk now to get the holiday cards or wait and see if there are incentives for doing it during the sale.

I crafted most of mine so I'd have the cards in place for the first day when the prices usually spike, but I held out a few in case we have a similar metagame to this past summer sale.

Top Bottom