• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Personally I think the value gems should be tied to the value on the market and boosters should be as well.

make it as close to 1:1 as possible and you wouldn't even need to prevent people from crafting boosters from a single set over and over because they lose money if they tried to sell.

This stuff is only interesting because it is NOT balanced. Otherwise there would be almost no incentive to participate and you could just do the auction with real money.

The numbers they came up with with could probably be tweaked a bit, but I'm sure there was some plan behind it and they weren't just all randomized.
The glitch is the whole point. You can't say "things would have been fine if they didn't go wrong." Things always go wrong. And not only did they go wrong, they went wrong several times, in a few different ways. Every MMO ever has had duplication glitches, it's one of the most common issues around. It's something they should have been looking for and expecting. Hell, it's not like they've fixed all the market issues before this, it wasn't even a month ago that the market was broken for several days on items that aren't on the buy order system.

I'm not saying it wasn't interesting, because it certainly was. I found the whole thing amusing and I'm sure if I was at Valve looking at the tens of thousands of dollars they made last night, I'd probably be laughing hysterically. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad decision, poorly implemented, and worthy of criticism.
Ah okay, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the market "imbalance" in general, not the glitch.

Andrefpvs

Lenny-Listening-The-Simpsons.gif

Waiting for ModBot.

BruteUA

Worms Clan Wars, Worms Clan Wars #2 and Worms Blast have identical code it seems.

also if any of those keys doesnt work, well...I dont give a fuck. Sorry :p

I think that about covers it.

If anyone ended up with some Crimsonland foils during last night's festivities, I've got some buy orders up on the market. Just saying.

Just wanted to point it out and make it clear I did not take three games. :p

Understood, I just wanted to quote the grumpy old bastard.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks Rhak for Ocean City Racing! Somehow I missed this one in the bundles.

Knurek

Haha, I got the Jazzpunk one. I hope it's as absurd as what some people said...

It's a terrible non-game, completely unfunny. Also the combination of head-bob+FOV used makes a lot of people (me included) queasy - take a motion sickness medication before playing.

at least you can now get demonicon with year walk :D

meh, i can hold off on year walk till it's in a humble bundle or $1 on steam. I'm just a poor loser
It's a terrible non-game, completely unfunny. Also the combination of head-bob+FOV used makes a lot of people (me included) queasy - take a motion sickness medication before playing.

it's a bit overrated, but at least it's interesting. can't say that about a lot of games

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Worms Clan Wars, Worms Clan Wars #2 and Worms Blast have identical code it seems.

do they? I might have fucked up then, those are all humble links unused. whoever wins those let me know and ill PM you the links

thanks again rhaknar!

one down, two to go..

btw. did you get a laptop already?

no i was actually there too, but I couldnt pull the trigger on any. all the really cheap ones seemed too crappy, and the somewhat decent ones were all 500+.

i-dont-know-what-i-expected-gif.gif

I thought it was funny enough for the first 5 minutes, then I got dizzy. I stopped playing after 10 minutes (first mission), went to bathroom to puke and then I installed the game

Phawx

This stuff is only interesting because it is NOT balanced. Otherwise there would be almost no incentive to participate and you could just do the auction with real money.

There are people that sit on items because they don't want to give Valve their information to go past the 200 item limit.

Alternatively, gemifying backgrounds for 1:1 is far easier than listing it for 3 cents and waiting for someone to buy it.

r3n4ud

Moddy claims these games were never claimed.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (r3n4ud, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Soulbringer -- MB-737479EA5AE5E643 - Taken by Eila
Eets Munchies -- MB-E61D51AF2AA2E063 - Taken by Loptous
Iron Grip: Warlord -- MB-421EE35732093BD1 - Taken by Knurek
Steel & Steam -- MB-C88C0C7FD18271BA - Taken by Jrdan
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-15E0930EE1729151 - Taken by Miniboss

Lomax

I thought it was funny enough for the first 5 minutes, then I got dizzy. I stopped playing after 10 minutes (first mission), went to bathroom to puke and then I installed the game

Honestly, it isn't really fair to judge a game based on motion sickness. It wasn't designed to make you sick, that was just random chance. For most people, that won't be an issue. There are a few games I've played over the years that have made me motion sick, and there's never any specific reason why, it just happens. I'm sorry that happened for you, but it really isn't the game's fault, nor is it really criticism of the game design that is going to apply to most people.

Khronico

Cod advanced warfare is pretty fun. Only problem is I cant seem to find a setting combination that gets me a consistent 60fps. Once I get out in large open spaces the game dips to 30 and under, it's really distracting.

There are people that sit on items because they don't want to give Valve their information to go past the 200 item limit.

Alternatively, gemifying backgrounds for 1:1 is far easier than listing it for 3 cents and waiting for someone to buy it.

Valve profits from people using the market. Letting people convert stuff at a 1:1 rate to market prices cuts out the market amd makes Valve lose money. This is all Valve's way to figure out how to use the market as much as possible.

Phawx

Valve profits from people using the market. Letting people convert stuff at a 1:1 rate to market prices cuts out the market amd makes Valve lose money.

In both of the situations I listed, Valve was making no money. At least with gemifying and getting boosters I can either buy to complete my badge or do anything really.

Trading cards yields no money to Valve either.

RealMeat

Banned
Weird seeing Soulbringer pop up in so many giveaways and bundles. I got it from a bargin bin over a decade ago, and never saw anything about it online until recently.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man, I've never really bothered to use it previously because I didn't have a real need for it, but after feeling like replaying Bioshock Infinite today I can say Valve's handling of DLC installation in it's current form is fucking brilliant and better than every other platform right now.

I failed my attempt to troll :D

We've seen that kind of schtick a million times before and it doesn't really work the way the troll probably wants it to when it comes to this thread.

Tizoc

Juju ain't bad, but as someone who grew up with a lot of platformers, I find the game to be more suited to younger audience. It starts out slow but I like some of the tricks in the stages.
As a child's first platformer I think it fits the bill, it's colorful, easy, isn't 'twitch reaction' giving them some time to think how to advance through a section. For $10 or less I'd recommend it.

by the way, Incest Quest is one of my most gifted games ever

im quite proud of that :3

Crazy part is that without even looking at the list I guessed which game you were talking about.

Broke the tags on purpose.
http://i.minus.com/iGDKK6qVUjaog.jpg

[img]http://i.minus.com/iJWIpoPdceCEc.jpg
[/quote]

Totally what the fuck moment, and I'm only on the 3rd chapter.

Arthea

Honestly, it isn't really fair to judge a game based on motion sickness. It wasn't designed to make you sick, that was just random chance. For most people, that won't be an issue. There are a few games I've played over the years that have made me motion sick, and there's never any specific reason why, it just happens. I'm sorry that happened for you, but it really isn't the game's fault, nor is it really criticism of the game design that is going to apply to most people.

I'm not sure about no issue part, I never head motion sickness in my life, so much so, that I didn't even recognize it for what it was, I just felt really really sick, I can't even think about playing this game ever again. Doesn't look that random when two people in this very thread not prone to motion sickness got sick playing this game.

Man, I've never really bothered to use it previously because I didn't have a real need for it, but after feeling like replaying Bioshock Infinite today I can say Valve's handling of DLC installation in it's current form is fucking brilliant and better than every other platform right now.

Everything Valve does with DD is miles ahead of the consoles. Using a PS3 or a Vita with digital games is painful in comparison. The storefronts, how regions are handled, DLC, everything is bad and painful to use.

F-Pina

So, just like last month, I am giving away 5 copies of my game to all our Steam Gaffers.
Although "Murder in the Hotel Lisbon" was released on Steam in July, it was actually released earlier on our website, a year ago in December 2013.

So, happy birthday to Detective Case and Clown Bot. May my stupid creations live many years inside the screens of all of your computers.

ModBot said:
Instructions for F-Pina:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (F-Pina, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Murder in the Hotel Lisbon -- MB-D89C948AB02F0A3D - Taken by Maniac
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon #4 -- MB-498D736451E59462 - Taken by jshackles
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon #5 -- MB-505577BD61F212C6 - Taken by Nzyme32
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon #2 -- MB-8E01E21872EF5007 - Taken by Kifimbo
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon #3 -- MB-83BC0C7CF1DE4D94 - Taken by NihonTiger90

bigzgod

Final repost, for those of you that don't own this yet!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bigzgod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- MB-F3A46771A741FE9A - Taken by salazar547. 21 entrants total.

t1418412403z1.png

no i was actually there too, but I couldnt pull the trigger on any. all the really cheap ones seemed too crappy, and the somewhat decent ones were all 500+.
yeah, 500€ won't give you anything real good imo.
even if you only plan to use it for indies, it should be at least any variant of i5 with a 850m at least I'd say. else you'd be left in the dust even much sooner.

but that combo goes at about 700€. maybe wait till january when stores reduce prices more to get stock out.

anyway, time to idle a bit..

Beelzebubs

Intruiging. My order for sacks last night apparently went through so I'm now sat on 80 sacks. I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing :S

Has anyone posted the updated Auction page?

Sorry, but there have been some issues with Gems and the Steam Holiday Auction has been temporarily closed. The elves are working frantically to get the issues sorted out, and the auction will start again as soon as they're done.

Salsa

So, just like last month, I am giving away 5 copies of my game to all our Steam Gaffers.
Although "Murder in the Hotel Lisbon" was released on Steam in July, it was actually released earlier on our website, a year ago in December 2013.

So, happy birthday to Detective Case and Clown Bot. May my stupid creations live many years inside the screens of all of your computers.

aw dang, too late

game looks awesome btw

Lomax

I'm not sure about no issue part, I never head motion sickness in my life, so much so, that I didn't even recognize it for what it was, I just felt really really sick, I can't even think about playing this game ever again. Doesn't look that random when two people in this very thread not prone to motion sickness got sick playing this game.

Fair enough, and warning people it might happen is quite reasonable. I just don't think it's fair to dismiss a game categorically on the basis that it might cause motion sickness, there are things that can be done to diminish motion sickness and it is hardly universal. For example, playing farther away from your monitor should improve it, and make sure the game has a stable frame rate. On my monitor I've noticed that games running at very high but strange frame rates (like 100 fps) seem to give me motion sickness that goes away if I cap at 60 fps. It is something that varies highly from person to person and situation to situation.

Arthea

Fair enough, and warning people it might happen is quite reasonable. I just don't think it's fair to dismiss a game categorically on the basis that it might cause motion sickness, there are things that can be done to diminish motion sickness and it is hardly universal. For example, playing farther away from your monitor should improve it, and make sure the game has a stable frame rate. On my monitor I've noticed that games running at very high but strange frame rates (like 100 fps) seem to give me motion sickness that goes away if I cap at 60 fps. It is something that varies highly from person to person and situation to situation.

I'm not saying to dismiss it, for obvious reasons I never cared for such warnings and even if I was warned beforehand, I still would have played it, because "hey, what's motion sickness?", it's just "no issue" that irked me. ;)
There is bright side even to this, though, now I understand people that suffer from motion sickness, that's pretty horrible thing, I must say.

It's like that for hours already! :p

it's like that at least 9 hours already, in fact (><)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Thanks so much - I'll definitely be checking this one out. Congrats on the game's anniversary!

Two modbot wins in a row this morning have inspired me to put together a giveaway of my own. Stay tuned.

Now that Halo MCC is out on the Xbox One, I hope this means they'll be releasing it on Steam as well.

Believe.

That's pretty much the only thing that will make me believe they give the slightest fuck about PC gaming. Until I'm able to play up-to-date Halo on my PC, it's all hot air.

After they get all the current MCC issues fixed, of course.

Top Bottom