• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

If steam broadcasting takes off the way we hope, this little one is in my roster for chatting:
Super_Lemonade_Factory_Emoticon_LiselotSad.png

The_Monk

Tell me about it. Between NPD and that video Eurogamer made about The Order 1886, the place is going crazy. I wish the gaming community wasn't like this. It can be downright embarrassing.
Why do people get so agressive/defensive over this suff? We're supposed to be having fun. And gamers suffer enough attacks from the outside, why does everything need to be a motive for war? I can't believe how fractured and volatile the gaming community is as a whole. Console wars. Jrpgs vs Wrpgs. PC vs console. Hell, even discussions betwen fans of any given franchise constantly turn into a bloodbath because entry X is better than entry Y or character A is better than character B. What's wrong with us?

There's still some good discussions and there's still some good GAFfers trying to make some polite and peaceful discussions regarding many subjects. The thing is, one bad/troll post can destroy the discussion from that point forward, not to mention that there will be a lot of people quoting said post with .gifs/"dat post"/salty/ and other pointless memes while other valid posts are ignored because of such "background noise". It's a shame really, and I agree with you, wish more people could focus on having proper discussions but sometimes I feel it's too hard. What's the point in trying to make a decent, thoughtful post when a .gif or someone who is mad gets more attention?

Many things like console wars and PC "master race" (ugh!) don't help. In fact, I've seen as many console warriors as PC warriors who need to justify their purchases all the time. It's like people have a very, very low self esteem and need to boost it up by saying how powerful their PC is, how great Steam is or why their console simply have the best exclusives. I actually feel sad for these people so I just let them have their tiny morale boost and carry on by trying to make an interesting post. War is the most pointless thing but having a war based on hating/disliking people because of different opinions/electronics regarding a hobby is abysmal.

There's still some good discussions and there's still some good GAFfers trying to make some polite and peaceful discussions regarding many subjects. The thing is, one bad/troll post can destroy the discussion from that point forward, not to mention that there will be a lot of people quoting said post with .gifs/"dat post"/salty/ and other pointless memes while other valid posts are ignored because of such " background noise". It's a shame really, and I agree with you, wish more people could focus on having proper discussions but sometimes I feel it's really too hard. What's the point in trying to make a decent, thoughtful post when a .gif or someone who is mad gets more attention?
This is the worst part in my opinion. If everyone ignored the trolls and stupid commentary, everything would be fine. But people allow the conversation to be derailed by one bad apple. We have an ignore button for a reason, I wish people would use it for the known trolls rather than baiting them.

There's still some good discussions and there's still some good GAFfers trying to make some polite and peaceful discussions regarding many subjects. The thing is, one bad/troll post can destroy the discussion from that point forward, not to mention that there will be a lot of people quoting said post with .gifs/"dat post"/salty/ and other pointless memes while other valid posts are ignored because of such "background noise". It's a shame really, and I agree with you, wish more people could focus on having proper discussions but sometimes I feel it's too hard. What's the point in trying to make a decent, thoughtful post when a .gif or someone who is mad gets more attention?

Many things like console wars and PC "master race" (ugh!) don't help. In fact, I've seen as many console warriors as PC warriors who need to justify their purchases all the time. It's like people have a very, very low self esteem and need to boost it up by saying how powerful their PC is, how great Steam is or why their console simply have the best exclusives. I actually feel sad for these people so I just let them have their tiny morale boost and carry on by trying to make an interesting post. War is the most pointless thing but having a war based on hating/disliking people because of different opinions/electronics regarding a hobby is abysmal.

Sometimes gaf can be great but those occasions are getting fewer and fewer. This community is a good example but there are others.
Recently we had the release of Tits on PC. The game shipped with A LOT of issues but every single person in that thread was incredibly understanding and supportive. I even talked about it with their programmer (Sara) on twitter and she said that the support and patience the community showed was incredibly heartwarming.

Dr Dogg

Tell me about it. Between NPD and that video Eurogamer made about The Order 1886, the place is going crazy. I wish the gaming community wasn't like this. It can be downright embarrassing.
Why do people get so agressive/defensive over this suff? We're supposed to be having fun. And gamers suffer enough attacks from the outside, why does everything need to be a motive for war? I can't believe how fractured and volatile the gaming community is as a whole. Console wars. Jrpgs vs Wrpgs. PC vs console. Hell, even discussions betwen fans of any given franchise constantly turn into a bloodbath because entry X is better than entry Y or character A is better than character B. What's wrong with us?

What I've noticed since about 18 months ago that the cycle of move overly aggressive behaviour has seeped onto the internet, not just GAF but quite a few other place I stick my head in to. Though you got to bear in mind these folks as well as ourselves just make up a small portion of the gaming community. They might be the ones more visible because they shout the loudest and most often but they by no means make up a majority. Still at least the nice peeps gravitate to this thread.

Idle Master not working for me anymore...though I was still using the original version.

I'm using 0.5 and it's been fine. Valve did muck about with cookies the other week I think shackles was saying.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Dont Starve Together (Beta) -- MB-97693ABB6911EF00 - Taken by JustLynx

_hekk05

Banned
There have been some hilarious and yet horrifying displays of double standards going on the last year. Give the press shit for not being on the customers side then give them shit when they try to give consumer advice. I know they're not perfect but that must seem like damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm sure if I could be bother I bet I could find a fair few posters with conflicting opinions in that Order thread. Then again that might be construed as a personal attack!

I'm still laughing at Eurogamer for that. Of all the games to choose to speak about (or indeed just speak about pre-ordering games in general), they chose the one that would generate the worst shitstorm.

I guess this is intelligent click-baiting? I dunno anymore

Hugstable

Banned
How are people getting so many gems like that still? You can't purchase or trade them anymore right? I recycled a whole bunch of my backgrounds and I only ended up with 3000, I can bet on pretty much nothing :(. I think the best thing to come out of all this is that I finally found a use for all those crappy backgrounds and it cleaned out my inventory! ALot of my random coupons seemed to have finally disappereed too which is pretty nice.

Awww :(. Okay Chariot is Mai Waifu again lol! I'll be down for some Payday or 100% Orange Juice tomorrow if anyone wants to play

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im 97.5999% sure the awnser is no, but are there official Sony drivers for the dualshock 3 on PC yet?

all these new fighters, I dont want to drag out my fightstick everytime, that shit's huge :(

StAidan

How are people getting so many gems like that still? You can't purchase or trade them anymore right? I recycled a whole bunch of my backgrounds and I only ended up with 3000, I can bet on pretty much nothing :(.

I loaded up on a bunch of 3-4 cent backgrounds and emoticons for 100 gems each, personally (before they were all sold out). I don't care about the auction, I'm just crafting badges and selling off extra cards.

Hugstable

Banned
I loaded up on a bunch of 3-4 cent backgrounds and emoticons for 100 gems each, personally (before they were all sold out). I don't care about the auction, I'm just crafting badges and selling off extra cards.

You can craft stuff with them? How many gems do I need? I didn't see no option for that lol >_>

EDIT: Ohh I just found them!

Dr Dogg

If I had my way I'd pit all the console warriors to a to the death battle royal. I'm sure this place would be so much more peaceful. Or the new era PC plonkers would ruin it for everyone.

I'm still laughing at Eurogamer for that. Of all the games to choose to speak about (or indeed just speak about pre-ordering games in general), they chose the one that would generate the worst shitstorm.

I guess this is intelligent click-baiting? I dunno anymore

Well to be fair they did give Ryse a tough time around preview showings and Unity didn't get away scot free either from hands on impressions. But Eurogamer are synonymous with the 8 out of 10 review.

Here's something that I'm surprised doesn't get looked at, day 1 patches. Sure they were about in console land last generation too but most, to pretty much all games would still function fine without them. Not so this generation, which is really shitty if you're a chap who likes to play offline or are away somewhere like the armed forces and not guaranteed an internet connection. Didn't both Wolfenstein and The Evil Within have 4 or 5gb day one updates? Far Cry 4 was really messed up for me without the initial patch and I've heard Unity was the same. Yet no one is speaking much about them let alone the effects this has on the offline gamer. That would be real consumer advice right there.

_hekk05

Banned

Should have kept them. You can make at least 5 cents per background if you sell them now

boosters and cards are also cheap now so you can go buy them to craft

tmarg

What I've noticed since about 18 months ago that the cycle of move overly aggressive behaviour has seeped onto the internet, not just GAF but quite a few other place I stick my head in to. Though you got to bear in mind these folks as well as ourselves just make up a small portion of the gaming community. They might be the ones more visible because they shout the loudest and most often but they by no means make up a majority. Still at least the nice peeps gravitate to this thread.

It's always going to be like that somewhat at the start of a new generation. People are making a major investment in their hobby, and they have to convince everyone on the internet that they have made the correct decision.

StAidan

Should have kept them. You can make at least 5 cents per background if you sell them now

boosters and cards are also cheap now so you can go buy them to craft

Aye, reselling them when the price went up didn't really occur to me at the time lol. Oh well. I'm certainly not buying any more at this point, much cheaper to just get the cards directly. And I'm hesitant to spend much more out of my Steam wallet until the actual sale starts. I set a limit of $100 for myself this year, which is all the more important to stick to with my new Amiibo addiction.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would only get the anomaly games (that im missing) from that picture. Banished refuses to do 75% and I refuse to buy it in response

Nope, chances are there won't be any either.

didnt they say there would be one, way back when the ps4 was announced? or did I dream that?

Dr Dogg

It's always going to be like that somewhat at the start of a new generation. People are making a major investment in their hobby, and they have to convince everyone on the internet that they have made the correct decision.

Hahaha too true. But even before the days of the internet it was the playground. Which was funny over here as while the NES and Master System era didn't have massive traction come the Megadrive and SNES era consoles seemed to be the in thing. I was happy with my Speccy and Atari ST until we got a NES (about 5 years after they came out) so never really got involved in the squabbles. Then again soon after that, and with many months of saving I bought a second hand yellowing 286 in all it's EGA glory.

Top Bottom