• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Arthea

Why not? They released the cards a bit before the sale like the last bunch of sales. The difference is that they are not "mystery cards", and why should they be, really? they know people will use the market a lot during these days of auction/gem/whatever stuff, so they released the winter cards for that.

but it is called a sale badge, kinda weird to get one before sale even started. But i get your point.

user237

I missed out of the gem sack glitch so I spent the next two hours after the gem market was closed buying all the booster packs I could find for under 15 cents.

Ended up buying around 150-200ish booster packs and am now selling them back for their normal stabilized prices.

Totally not worth it, in terms of profit/hour, but at least it was "fun"

Benedict

How... nice to see all the love here and a gift as well :)
Totally caught me by surprise coming here, after watching the Squarepants movie and Hasselhoffs wonderful performance.

_hekk05

Banned
How... nice to see all the love here and a gift as well :)
Totally caught me by surprise coming here, after watching the Squarepants movie and Hasselhoffs wonderful performance.

People with a wife should not be allowed to enjoy waifus

Sob.gif

Dr Dogg

150 people had put a bid in on Bad Rats. Can you gift auction games? Also why is everyone using to bid now, surely this is going to work out like any other auction and there will be tons of folks willing to snipe at the last moment? Bidding early is only going to potentially push the price up.

Arthea

Hey I've been out of the piss at many places that have happy hour on for 4 or 5 hours. Not that I would complain about that.

I would complain, because it increases disorder and chaos, by default entropy and shortens lifespan of our universe. you do understand that, don't you?

-MD-

It didn't work. Basically when I came back to the first care after
shooting zombies to save Laura on the stairs
, that fucking monster never came back to me. The only way I found was step inside the water, did the monster almost catch me, step up on the car, then as soon as he put his head out, I shoot that with the sniper rifle, he goes away for some second, then I need to swim toward the second car. Here was a matter of luck 9/10 the monster ate me and that's all, but one time I did it and then I passed the section.

That's Kidman on the stairs but I've never seen the fish disappear, I know you can shoot it and it'll dive under the water if there are no bodies left to drop into the water.

Jawmuncher

150 people had put a bid in on Bad Rats. Can you gift auction games? Also why is everyone using to bid now, surely this is going to work out like any other auction and there will be tons of folks willing to snipe at the last moment? Bidding early is only going to potentially push the price up.

The Sniping is going to be brutal just watch.

MUnited83

For you.
you can bid on games you already own so yeah, you will be able to gift it.

Arthea

with current bids? one must be slightly insane to increase those even more, wait...

The universe tends towards entropy. You can't fight the universe

who says you can't? I'm fighting as you can see!

Dr Dogg

I would complain, because it increases disorder and chaos, by default entropy and shortens lifespan of our universe. you do understand that, don't you?

Measurable time is a concept created by man. You wouldn't age quicker on Mercury because it orbits the sun at a faster rate than it does on Earth. Granted you'd be dead on account of not having an inhabitable atmosphere :p

The Sniping is going to be brutal just watch.

I'm sure they will be laughing like gem encrusted Homer.

you can bid on games you already own so yeah, you will be able to gift it.

100 poor souls :(

with current bids? one must be slightly insane to increase those even more, wait...

Well reading the FAQ you can up and cancel your bids so everything now is just a placeholder until the auction ends. Though knowing the stability of Valve's servers that are about as strong as a biscuit dunked in tea I wouldn't be trying to bid in the last couple of seconds and expect it all to be sunshine and roses.

It didn't work. Basically when I came back to the first care after
shooting zombies to save Laura on the stairs
, that fucking monster never came back to me. The only way I found was step inside the water, did the monster almost catch me, step up on the car, then as soon as he put his head out, I shoot that with the sniper rifle, he goes away for some second, then I need to swim toward the second car. Here was a matter of luck 9/10 the monster ate me and that's all, but one time I did it and then I passed the section.

I know what your talking about now, like there's a stairwell that leads up and it's the last
swimming section
. What I did was I would jump off the car in the back corner and let it swim towards me, when it got close I would climb up the car and jump off in front of it.

Turfster

Someone is bidding 18k gems on Spore.
Wtf

If they did the whole buy sacks of 1000 gems for 0.03 turn them into booster packs then get everything back when Volvo "fixed" it, they basically bid 0.53

Yes, Valve's fix only hurt the people that didn't really abuse the system too much =p

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (iapetus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Fieldrunners -- MB-3B8DE7B45258E9D0 - Taken by nightstorm
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-BD27BCEA68941E3E - Taken by topyy
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-B2517EA862CA1581 - Taken by lindarasta
Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP -- MB-58F1C123BD10AFDE - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon
SpaceChem -- MB-BCBF77D4F6304FC5
Splice -- MB-B4C06617C028564C - Taken by SSPssp
Dungeon Defenders -- MB-679A4E7C114AC494 - Taken by Aiustis
Frozen Synapse -- MB-DA9841B82B3E38E2 - Taken by Naked Snake
Beat Hazard Ultra -- MB-6C12EAE2A8DB765A - Taken by bluechox2
Nightsky -- MB-A03F0B6CF8D345EE - Taken by RyanPierre
Solar 2 -- MB-17943747937BC91F - Taken by autoduelist

I'm clearing out my unclaimed Steam keys from various Humble Bundles - it's possible that some of these are already claimed (happened with one of my last batch), but these are the ones that HB's currently flagging as unclaimed but that I already have on Steam.

tmarg

If they did the whole buy sacks of 1000 gems for 0.03 turn them into booster packs then get everything back when Volvo "fixed" it, they basically bid 0.53

That's not how money works. Their bids are worth substantially more now, regardless of their initial investment.

Yes, Valve's fix only hurt the people that didn't really abuse the system too much =p
bought sacks were returned and refunded

Turfster

Yes, but you also got the gems back from the booster packs you created when they rolled it back.
Hence, buy sacks, create booster packs, sell booster packs, Valve rolls everything back, free gems!

I didn't get gems back from all the boosters I created (At least 20k gems). I only got back the original 2.5k I created myself, originally.

I know I had a few more gems than I crafted myself when they were done rolling everything back *shrug*

pahamrick

What Turfster meant was that folks who bought a ton of .03 stacks and then converted them into as many booster packs as possible and then sold the packs / cards made out. If you had someone who had 1000+ games and got enough gems to buy packs for every game that had cards thats potentially 3000+ cards they could use.

They didn't remove cards from boosters bought with gems, at least they didn't for me.

Yes, but you also got the gems back from the booster packs you created when they rolled it back.

I didn't get gems back from all the boosters I created (At least 20k gems). I only got back the original 2.5k I created myself, originally.

Hugstable

Banned
The universe tends towards entropy. You can't fight the universe

Entropy?

kDXtNy6.png

I just went into the market and they're going for somewhere between $0.55 and $0.65 again!

Sweet! Time to buy some up! Heck I might end up making enough from this to pick up Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Valkyria Chronicles if they go on sale along with what I already have! As long as those 2 games go on sale during the winter sale, it'll be a great sale for me! Then again that may be due to me blowing out my wallet during the summer >_>. Final Fantasy XIII Booster pack sells pretty decent at 1000 gems for 90 cents, just wish I could craft more than 1 a day. Final Fantasy IV seemed alright for the price also

Hence, buy sacks, create booster packs, sell booster packs, Valve rolls everything back, free gems!

Not sure about that, but that still doesn't change the value of 1000 gems, especially now that they're on the market again.

I had Just Cause 2 on my account for a while but I had never installed it so I went ahead and did it today. I played the XBOX 360 version a couple years ago so I have to get used to the controls all over again. It runs perfectly as far as I can tell so far after getting past the first couple missions before you get to roam around on your own. I have all of the settings at the maximum at 1080p (i5-4690K & R9 290X w/ Omega Driver).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This sale Rhaknar, believe!!! Just Star Wars and the Indy games (plus Batman 3 if it goes on offer) and I'll have the set.

FUCK! The indy games... I forgot there were lego indy games >_<

I dont like you anymore doogie, you ruin things

sidenote, Costume Quest 2 is cool, but I love the first game (and the expansion), if you didnt, this will do nothing for you, its basically the same game

derExperte

I'm surprised that the bids for the Holiday Profile didn't rise further. That'll probably change now.

Should buy all you can until the price reaches 90 cents. After that 100 gem background prices will continue to rise

Or the backgrounds will become cheaper.

Turfster

Daily Indie Game has a new bundle
Price: 1.49$, BTA for 2 bundles
  • Depth Hunter 2
  • Rhythm Destruction
  • Chernobyl Commando
  • The moon sliver
  • Realms of the Haunting
  • Actua Soccer 3

madjoki

Assuming $0.5 for 1000 gems, pretty much everything is over priced.
Some software is way cheaper and currently worth bidding on. But this might change later on and I assume there will be bidding wars too.

(Click for top 100)

_hekk05

Banned
I managed to buy 5 for .54, still waiting for 5 more...

I meant cards lol. Put down low buy orders for cards.

Though, in order to make a profit, you have to sell cards for .27 each per 1000 gem crafting, so it depends on whether you have a good waifu game to craft for.

Top Bottom