• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Uzzy

I still haven't started Tomb Raider, so I have no idea what I'm getting into, but for those who have, is the DLC worth picking up? Or should I give it a pass?

I liked the Aviatrix costume, but really, there's nothing important there. It's nearly all multiplayer stuff, and no one plays the multiplayer. Save your money and spend it on Anniversary instead.

Grief.exe

It's funny how people rip on Skyrim for being boring, while something like Euro Truck Simulator 2 is held in high regard. A simulation where you cruise the highways of Europe in a truck listening to the radio may be engaging to some folks, but I doubt anyone would call it the pinnacle of excitement. Despite that, expressing your love of ETS2 is A-OK around here.

On the other hand, say that you enjoy the game where you roam around picturesque fantasy Scandinavia, poking around in caves, killing monsters and taking their stuff and people will let you know how shitty your taste apparently is.

It just gets a little tedious sometimes. :p

While Skyrim is boring due to bad design (watered down combat, extremely streamlined RPG mechanics, boring quest design, etc) ETS2 is designed as a pure simulator, and boredom, in this instance, is subjective. You will either enjoy the game for the mechanics, or you are not interested in simulations initially.

dani_dc

It's funny how people rip on Skyrim for being boring, while something like Euro Truck Simulator 2 is held in high regard. A simulation where you cruise the highways of Europe in a truck listening to the radio may be engaging to some folks, but I doubt anyone would call it the pinnacle of excitement. Despite that, expressing your love of ETS2 is A-OK around here.

On the other hand, say that you enjoy the game where you roam around picturesque fantasy Scandinavia, poking around in caves, killing monsters and taking their stuff and people will let you know how shitty your taste apparently is.

It just gets a little tedious sometimes. :p
Euro Truck Simulator 2 is a simulator, as such the game is limited by reality seeing as it aims to emulate it. Naturally the enjoyment you get out of it depends on how much the idea of driving a truck appeals to you.

Not really comparable to a fantasy adventure game where the limitations were set by the developers of the game.

You really couldn't choose two worst games to compare.

And I say this as someone that was bored by ETS2.

Dr Dogg

I blame you guys and your damn huge impressive libraries! :p

But yeah i can feel myself getting to that stage where i don't care as much about what i complete or don't complete. But damn that's a lot of games!... Much respect. Especially if you actually get through them all. I wouldn't be able to pull that off at all.

I feel so intimidated by you guys lol!

Your yearly count us going to pass up my total library!

It's all these fucking bundles! Saying that this year has had some cracking releases, rereleases and late ports. I may have added a silly amount but I don't think I've finished as many games as I have this year since I was in school (which is a very, very long time ago). I was looking through the RPGs I've picked up this year and I've got enough, with The Witcher III, Pillars of Eternity and Torement (hahahaha yeah there is no way coming out in 2015) also paid for, they should eaisly see me through to the end of next year and then some.

Tellaerin

I actually didn't mean it to sound it this particular way. We enjoy what we enjoy, sometimes it seems that there isn't even a choice, I can't stand Bethesda combat at all and all games with it, but I totally can understand people having different taste than me, I have lots of friends that like those games, and even some of my family are too much into it, treacherous bastards!
So, enjoy it, and ignore haters ;)

Thanks, Arthea. : )

While Skyrim is boring due to bad design (watered down combat, extremely streamlined RPG mechanics, boring quest design, etc) ETS2 is designed as a pure simulator, and boredom, in this instance, is subjective. You will either enjoy the game for the mechanics, or you are not interested in simulations initially.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is a simulator, as such the game is limited by reality seeing as it aims to emulate it. Naturally the enjoyment you get out of it depends on how much the idea of driving a truck appeals to you.

Not really comparable to a fantasy adventure game where the limitations were set by the developers of the game.

You really couldn't choose two worst games to compare.

And I say this as someone that was bored by ETS2.

The only parallel I'm drawing between the two is that there are groups who consider the gameplay in each one "boring". What I'm comparing are the general reactions someone receives when they say they like one or the other. It's apparently "acceptable" to enjoy a simulation like ETS2 around here, and even the people who aren't fans themselves don't typically feel the need to inform others that simulations are boring and your taste in games is bad. Say you enjoy something like Skyrim, and no such consideration seems to apply. :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's all these fucking bundles! Saying that this year has had some cracking releases, rereleases and late ports. I may have added a silly amount but I don't think I've finished as many games as I have this year since I was in school (which is a very, very long time ago). I was looking through the RPGs I've picked up this year and I've got enough, with The Witcher III, Pillars of Eternity and Torement (hahahaha yeah there is no way coming out in 2015) also paid for, they should eaisly see me through to the end of next year and then some.

Yet, if you're like me, you'll keep buying new ones as the get released.

I'm planning to start a marathon of Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns soon. That should keep me going for a while.

Derp

Oh wow. This must be common i'm assuming?

It's a game that encourages players to murder women for entertainment. The incentive is to commit sexual violence against women, then abuse or kill them to proceed or get 'health' points.
Really...

My favourite part though is how she wants it removed from Target specifically lol.

Aw gosh, so pumped for TW3! Never been this excited for a game before. Same with Cyberpunk 2077.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

its called a library for a reason. you dont go to a library expecting to read everything, you go expecting to find something you want at a particular moment

Yet, if you're like me, you'll keep buying new ones as the get released.

I'm planning to start a marathon of Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns soon. That should keep me going for a while.

is 13-2 region locked if you buy it from nuuvem or can i activate it on my US account?

Derp

its called a library for a reason. you dont go to a library expecting to read everything, you go expecting to find something you want at a particular moment
413.gif

Khronico

Ok guys help me decide:

Cart A
1) Chaos Theory (Played through twice on og Xbox)
2) Far Cry 2 (Played through 3 times, 2 on ps3 and 1 on old crappy laptop)

Cart B
1) Blacklist (Played through once on ps3)

Cart C
1) Stop spending money and save for winter seal

Wildcards: ARMA II (worth it for singleplayer?), Planetary Annihilation (is it a good rts?)

iosefe

Ok guys help me decide:

Cart A

Cart B

Cart C

Wildcards: ARMA II (worth it for singleplayer?), Planetary Annihilation (is it a good rts?)
i assume carts A and B are respective to your interest

Nzyme32

Aw gosh, so pumped for TW3! Never been this excited for a game before. Same with Cyberpunk 2077.

I don't get these hype reactions for cyberpunk 2077. I am hugely interested and fascinated in sci fi, cyberpunk and transhumanism both in fiction and reseach, and yet I am not overly excited for it.

All we have seen is a prerendered scene that may not even relate to anything in particular other than the concept. Did I miss something? Even with CD project's history, it just doesn't make "pumped" yet

UncleO

Ok guys help me decide:

Cart A

Cart B

Cart C

Cart C

Turfster

I don't get these hype reactions for cyberpunk 2077. I am hugely interested and fascinated in sci fi, cyberpunk and transhumanism both in fiction and reseach, and yet I am not overly excited for it.

People want more cyberpunk games.
I want more cyberpunk games.

Grief.exe

Ok guys help me decide:

Cart A

Cart B

Cart C

Considering those are already games you have played to death, then option c is probably the best.

Though, Chaos Theory and Far Cry 2 bottom out at $2.50, so no real harm picking them up now.

Nzyme32

Ok guys help me decide:

Cart A

Cart B

Cart C

Cart A and B are almost certain to be on sale again in some other sale - not necessarily the winter seal though. Having said that, you've played the games before and will know which you prefer or what to play more immediately.

Uzzy

ARMA II is probably worth it for singleplayer, if you're into milsims. There are a lot of single player scenarios out there, though I couldn't recommend any. Just make sure to get the Complete Collection.

Planetary Annihilation is alright, but it left me wanting to play Supreme Commander again. It feels lifeless, and the single player campaign has some really bafflingly bizarre design choices behind it, like locking away most of the units throughout the campaign. It's very much an unfinished product.

All we have seen is a prerendered scene that may not even relate to anything in particular other than the concept. Did I miss something? Even with CD project's history, it just doesn't make "pumped" yet

More cyberpunk is always a good thing, though my hype is contained for the moment. At least until we get some more information about it, at which point I'll explode.

Vibranium

Banned

More Cyberpunk AAA games need to be in this world. Deus Ex is one of my favorite franchises of all time, if CD Projekt can capture that with 2077 I will be insanely happy.

"A bomb's a bad choice for close combat..."

tumblr_inline_n6xyl7nLtp1rxqfqa.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games -- MB-41BD8155CA4CB024 - Taken by Vibranium. 4 entrants total.

t1417482064z1.png

Anteater

it's just the way it is, people want something to be good so badly that they want to jump to the conclusion the game will actually be the best shit ever, check those "hype threads" like ff15 or whatever and watch people getting hyped over videos that barely show anything and then watch them melt down whenever there're news that sound negative and vice versa.

Nzyme32

People want more cyberpunk games.
I want more cyberpunk games.

Same here for sure, but I don't feel like the game is anything other than nebulous at the moment and a very long way off. There is so little information being presented that I simply don't understand how people can extrapolate hype from such an unknown and new IP simply showing it is cyberpunk and in 2077 and by cdprojekt

Khronico

i assume carts A and B are respective to your interest

Considering those are already games you have played to death, then option c is probably the best.

Though, Chaos Theory and Far Cry 2 bottom out at $2.50, so no real harm picking them up now.

Cart A and B are almost certain to be on sale again in some other sale - not necessarily the winter seal though. Having said that, you've played the games before and will know which you prefer or what to play more immediately.

Yeah Cart A is 2 of my favorite games of all time which I would like to replay on something other than a toaster, Cart B is an awesome game that I would like to 100%, and the wildcards are things that looked interesting (played the arma 2 demo and it ran VERY well maxed out minus AA, 40-60fps). Thanks for the input tho. I'll probably just save my money for now, already got some really good games to play over the holidays.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that's seriously waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I EVER needed to know about you xD

what, that wanking lefty is hard? is that not a given? or that im a righty? im not sure whats upsetting you

but anything is hard if you don't practice

this is true. I guess if you had to, you would get used to it. But Turf can tell us more im sure

Tellaerin

We've got Mike Pondsmith working with CD Projekt on the development end. He was the guy behind Cyberpunk 2020, which was the seminal tabletop cyberpunk RPG (pure cyberpunk, as opposed to the yberpunk-with-dragons-elves-and-magic thing Shadowrun had going on.) Can't speak for anyone else, but that's why I'm excited about it.

Top Bottom