• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Dr Dogg

Yet, if you're like me, you'll keep buying new ones as the get released.

I'm planning to start a marathon of Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns soon. That should keep me going for a while.

I'll be surprised if next year can top 2014 for the sheer amount of releases that have caught my eye but you never know these days. I've already got XIII-2 purchased before getting past chapter 7 of XIII :(

Aw gosh, so pumped for TW3! Never been this excited for a game before. Same with Cyberpunk 2077.

Really want to see more of Cyberpunk 2077 as it's an intresting universe and a setting criminally under represented in gaming the past few years.

its called a library for a reason. you dont go to a library expecting to read everything, you go expecting to find something you want at a particular moment

But I don't pay my library to stock up on books either. What I do purchase is something with the intent of playing it at some point and at a price that I have found agreeable. I've already resigned myself to the fact I'm never going to finish my backlog and there will be stuff I probably won't like. But hey it's no biggie!

Derp

I don't get these hype reactions for cyberpunk 2077. I am hugely interested and fascinated in sci fi, cyberpunk and transhumanism both in fiction and reseach, and yet I am not overly excited for it.

All we have seen is a prerendered scene that may not even relate to anything in particular other than the concept. Did I miss something? Even with CD project's history, it just doesn't make "pumped" yet

Because cyberpunk and CDPR, damnit!

and this:
Really want to see more of Cyberpunk 2077 as it's an intresting universe and a setting criminally under represented in gaming the past few years.!
I mean, a setting/concept like what they're aiming for hasn't been attempted to this extent and magnitude, has it? If it turns out even close to what the trailer depicts i will be the happiest person on Earth. It's like a dream come true.

I just want new info! And gameplay footage!

Nzyme32

it's just the way it is, people want something to be good so badly that they want to jump to the conclusion the game will actually be the best shit ever, check those "hype threads" like ff15 or whatever and watch people getting hyped over videos that barely show anything and then watch them melt down whenever there're news that sound negative and vice versa.

Yeah. I guess I can understand it more with things like Ffxv, kh3, hl3 or uncharted 4 - but they are all existing ips with something to extrapolate from at the very least. I don't feel that all with cyberpunk 2077

Vibranium

Banned
tumblr_inline_n6xyl7nLtp1rxqfqa.gif

tumblr_inline_nedprbHCXy1rt3bgs.gif

Asgaro

I use that site all the time. But I want an automated thing that would fetch my games and sort them instead.

Automatically adding your games would indeed be handy.

But sorting on time_to_beat is already possible: go to each game's page on that site and add the game to your on-site backlog.
Then go to your profile page. There you will see a Playthroughs tab.
Click it and you'll see a list of all added games.
At the top of the list you can sort by time_to_beat by opening the sort filter, and choosing "Time - To Beat". There are also other time related sorting options if you want.

Nzyme32

We've got Mike Pondsmith working with CD Projekt on the development end. He was the guy behind Cyberpunk 2020, which was the seminal tabletop cyberpunk RPG (pure cyberpunk, as opposed to the yberpunk-with-dragons-elves-and-magic thing Shadowrun had going on.) Can't speak for anyone else, but that's why I'm excited about it.

Ah thanks, I know none of this so I'll do some reading into it tomorrow.

zkylon

zkylewd
he's won it

the roleplaying part is super duper correct

i've done roleplaying playthroughs and it's amazing

It's funny how people rip on Skyrim for being boring, while something like Euro Truck Simulator 2 is held in high regard. A simulation where you cruise the highways of Europe in a truck listening to the radio may be engaging to some folks, but I doubt anyone would call it the pinnacle of excitement. Despite that, expressing your love of ETS2 is A-OK around here.

On the other hand, say that you enjoy the game where you roam around picturesque fantasy Scandinavia, poking around in caves, killing monsters and taking their stuff and people will let you know how shitty your taste apparently is.

It just gets a little tedious sometimes. :p

probably because euro truck wahtever is a niche game that does what its audience wants

skyrim on the other hand has a myriad of issues that people that like it choose to ignore (which is ok, no game is perfect), but that's the truth. the combat is pretty much absolute shit, the ui somehow manages to be even worse than fo3's/nv's and the leveling system is as uninteresting as it gets. the writing and questing is also very uninspired tho i have too short of an experience to judge this correctly. people that like skyrim don't care about that so it's ok but people wanting an rpg are ultimately gonna be disappointed (and be very vocal about it when skyrim is hailed as the pinacle of the genre or whatever). skyrims audience is way too large so it's bound to have more haters

i don't think its' a very interesting comparison anyways, i find both games to be boring

Vibranium

Banned
God, I miss Malcolm Tucker so much :(

And can't even scratch that itch watching Capaldi's Doctor, because it's over till Christmas :(

I miss Malcolm too, but ah well, good things come to an end.. :(

Christmas will be here soon, and then we will get the Doctor's hoodie/layers outfit and Nick Frost as Gangster Santa Claus (his words lol).

Asgaro

Whats the best way to play Skyrim? Mouse and keyboard or controller?

I prefer keyboard & mouse for nearly all my games, so I'm probably not the best person to reply.
But even if I had a 50-50% favouritism for KB/M and controller, I'm pretty sure I would still play Skyrim with KB/M.

Why?
Any game with a lot of looting, I prefer to play with the mouse. It's too weird to use a controller since it seems like you are moving a robot arm when picking up loot.
I haven't found a single Youtube video where people don't consistently overshoot their crosshair when wanting to pick up an item.

(Also, I have yet to play Skyrim. But I'm speaking from my experience with other loot games like Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Borderlands 1.)

As someone that typically prefers mouse and keyboard, I actually prefer the game pad for Skyrim. Same for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Something about the controls for those games just feel more natural with the game pad.

That's quite remarkable considering those all involve looting: putting your crosshair over tiny items.

I always cringe when I watch Youtube footage of someone using a controller for those games. :-/

There is even a comic of the fact controllers are so bad for looting based games (actually any games that needs accuracy).

90KxzQM.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How early access is The Forest? Is there a story yet or should I wait for it to finish if it ever will.

it quite early. whats there looks gorgeous and...well, works, but its early-ish.

Hanzou

I prefer keyboard & mouse for nearly all my games, so I'm probably not the best person to reply.
But even if I had a 50-50% favouritism for KB/M and controller, I'm pretty sure I would still play Skyrim with KB/M.

Why?
Any game with a lot of looting, I prefer to play with the mouse. It's too weird to use a controller since it seems like you are moving a robot arm when picking up loot.
I haven't found a single Youtube video where people don't consistently overshoot their crosshair when wanting to pick up an item.

(Also, I have yet to play Skyrim. But I'm speaking from my experience with other loot games like Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Borderlands 1.)

That's quite remarkable considering those all involve looting: putting your crosshair over tiny items.

I always cringe when I watch Youtube footage of someone using a controller for those games. :-/

There is even a comic of the fact controllers are so bad for looting based games (actually any games that needs accuracy).

90KxzQM.jpg
I also play most first person games with keyboard. Played both oblivion and fallout on keyboard. I just knew that this game was designed around a controller. I will try both out tonight.

Asgaro

edit: Let's all vote on http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

voting.PNG

However, voting seems only possible with Facebook.
The good thing is the app will NOT post to your timeline, so it says.

I want to vote... but check the permissions:

fb%20bullshit.PNG

I have no problem with giving my basic profile info.
The problem is the fact they want my friends list.
Anyone voted and know whether they send spam messages to their friends?
I normally don't really post game related stuff on Facebook so sending game related messages to my whole friends list is out of the question.

Let's all vote for Total Biscuit on http://thegameawards.com/nominees/
(Or someone else on the list. I just think he did the most good for PC gaming and it's nice to see he is in 1st place so far.)

voting.PNG

fb%20bullshit.PNG

I normally don't really post game related stuff on Facebook so sending game related messages to my whole friends list is out of the question.
Hasn't he said some really douchey things recently? Not sure he's well liked around these parts. That Jeffrey gerstmann, now there's a winner

Nzyme32

(Or someone else on the list. I just think he did the most good for PC gaming and it's nice to see he is in 1st place so far.)

voting.PNG

fb%20bullshit.PNG

I would certainly vote for him, but I also plain refuse to forced use twitter and Facebook to do it. Maybe I'll make an alt account or something to do it

Also I feel like PC will be really underrepresented at this sort of show guided by games journalists. I'm not aware of many that focus on PC gaming or pay close enough attention. The exports section for example is bizarre choices wise

tmarg

Hasn't he said some really douchey things recently? Not sure he's well liked around these parts. That Jeffrey gerstmann, now there's a winner

I don't know that anything he has said is specifically that douchy, he just legitimately seems to believe that gamergate is about ethics in game journalism. Which is silly at this point.

Gerstmann all the way out of that group, but man is that a weak group of nominees. Gerstamann, TB or pewdiepie. Sure. This is going to be a great awards show.

Deitus

Finally back. Steam sale didn't look that impressive from what I saw, but then maybe I'm just holding out for the Winter Sale.

I respect that Total Biscuit is a big proponent for PC gaming, but I find the guy to be insufferable. He has occasionally had worthwhile insight, but he has said a lot of unacceptable things as well.

Gerstmann is the clear choice of that group, but then the idea of voting for a category named "Trending Gamer" gives me douche chills. Add to that the fact that you can only vote through facebook, and I've lost what little hope I had that this would be any better than the Spike TV awards.

I play most games with a gamepad if given the choice. The only exceptions are competitive fps RTS.

Fixed that for you.

Thread moved like 15 pages overnight, what happened?

That's not possible... unless y'know, the thread didn't exist yesterday. We're on page 15 now.

I respect that Total Biscuit is a big proponent for PC gaming, but I find the guy to be insufferable. He has occasionally had worthwhile insight, but he has said a lot of unacceptable things as well.

Gerstmann is the clear choice of that group, but then the idea of voting for a category named "Trending Gamer" gives me douche chills. Add to that the fact that you can only vote through facebook, and I've lost what little hope I had that this would be any better than the Spike TV awards.

Gerstmann is a tool. TotalBiscuit is entertaining and one of the few "reviewers" who I can actually tolerate.
I wouldn't vote for Gerstman if you gifted me my entire Steam Wishlist.

Hmm, kind of pissed that DoW2:Retribution and World In Conflict are cheaper in previous sales.

I don't get why people use 100ppp.

I don't get why people use 50 or less. To me it's like the older people at work who can't handle the higher native resolution on their new laptops and end up choosing some low resolution and making everything blurry and fuzzy because things aren't big enough for them.

BiggNife

I don't know that anything he has said is specifically that douchy, he just legitimately seems to believe that gamergate is about ethics in game journalism. Which is silly at this point.
He said that the death threats towards Anita didn't have any credibility because Anita is still breathing, which is an incredibly insensitive thing to say. He's also sided with a youtuber named thunderf00t who is strongly anti-feminist and misogynist. Also, he was the first person to bring attention to the Zoe Quinn helldump post which caused Gamergate in the first place.

He also has an incredibly elitist attitude about himself and says shit like "I've never considered myself a critic" even though his twitter profile lists himself as a critic

So basically, yeah. He's a douche, and his defense of gamergate long after it's clear that it's misogynist is super gross.

Amused that the category of "Best Remaster" in those game awards is now a thing and something to be awarded. Feels like a lot of them this year were just moneygrabs.

tmarg

He said that the death threats towards Anita didn't have any credibility because Anita is still breathing, which is an incredibly insensitive thing to say.

The way he phrased that "still breathing" thing was idiotic, but in a sense he is correct. There have been hundreds of thousands of death/rape threats at this point, and not one example of any actual violence occurring.

Gamergate is just a bunch of ignorant little shits raging impotently into the aether of the internet.

BiggNife

The way he phrased that "still breathing" thing was idiotic, but in a sense he is correct. There have been hundreds of thousands of death/rape threats at this point, and not one example of any actual violence occurring.
But all death threats should be taken seriously because there's no way to know which are legitimate and which aren't. Yes, Anita is still alive, but its still a really douchey and insensitive thing to say to someone. Death threats are horrible whether they're serious or not and he was trying to downplay them.

Turfster

Guys, the gamergate thread is thattaway. Take this discussion over there, please.

Wingamestore is having their cyber monday deals. Note that their Walking Dead S2 is not a Steam key.

Turfster

People were asking why TotalBiscuit is disliked so I answered. I don't really think I was out of line.

It's not that you were out of line answering that, it's that the last 2 posts were veering off.
Anyway, enough backseat moderating.

The Humongous Holiday Pack isn't on the wingamestore front page, but is 80% off

Deitus

tb has been disliked way before this topic even happened.

TB has been just as wrong in the past about a lot of things as he was about the Gamergate issue. That's just the latest, and one of the larger marks against him, so it makes sense to bring up in the context.

But, I think Turfster is right that we should drop the Gamergate discussion. Regardless of any finger pointing or whether it is right to bring up, delving deep into Gamergate in this thread would not be a good thing for anyone. There's something about those threads that make people come out of the woodwork to engage in shitty behavior and then get banned. Let's not bring that on ourselves.

Top Bottom