• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

_hekk05

Banned
I wish I could see the faces of some of those top bidders... At current Gem market value, the holiday profile is topped at ~$180, and CS:GO is ~$60.

Amazing, bidding $60 value for a game that is 1/4 that at full price.

Yeah, but that's current bid

Remember that some of those bids started at the start of all this, before the exploit even happened. Their bids were kept and they managed to get 100 gem stuff at 3 cents each.

That's 1 sack for 30 cents. Also they probably wiped out their entire collection of backgrounds and emoticons

Hanzou

I wish I could see the faces of some of those top bidders... At current Gem market value, the holiday profile is topped at ~$180, and CS:GO is ~$60.

Amazing, bidding $60 value for a game that is 1/4 that at full price.

That will be on sale next week for about $7

Thanks to the dropping card prices before, I managed to craft a Sakura Spirit badge. Now that I've accomplished that, I don't care about any gems stuff anymore.

Many thanks to Milamber who exchanged a card with mine so I can craft it. Time to find other anime badges now, I guess?

Wok

The background n emotes that convert to 100 gems are going for around 9 cents a piece. So it'll balance it self out.

Okay, I get it now. I was still under the impression the prices of backgrounds was at 4 cents instead of the usual 3 cents.

dOg7CfR.png

Let us watch Valve's market for sack of gems:

UxNZb0v.png

Valve manages to sell games for a higher price than the base price to the happy few outbidding everyone.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Just a reminder, some folks probably aren't bidding on the game so much as the badge you get for winning an auction.

Remember that there was more than one person during the summer sale who leveled up the Summer sale badge to over level 100.

SmithnCo

Just a reminder, some folks probably aren't bidding on the game so much as the badge you get for winning an auction.

Remember that there was more than one person during the summer sale who leveled up the Summer sale badge to over level 100.

Bad Rats is at 7,100 gems, so yeah.

Hanzou

Converting gems into boosters make no sense right now. A thousand gems will give you a booster worth about 40 cents while you can sell those gems for almost double.

Wok

This does not explain the high prices of the games: if people are rational, they bid on the cheapest game, so every game should be roughly priced the same.

Lomax

There's still lots of 80 gem stuff at 7 cents each and 60 gem stuff at 5 cents each. Buying the 100 gem stuff may be easier, but it's not the best exchange rate. Plus, there's virtually no boosters left you can buy that have a profit at those valuations.

This does not explain the high prices of the games: if people are rational, they bid on the cheapest game, so every game should be roughly priced the same.

Bidders aren't rational, and they often perceive things like gems as being "free." I still see plenty of people refer to games paid for with card money and partial gmg credit as if the credit has no value. Human perception of valuation is a fascinating and highly irrational thing.

_hekk05

Banned
There's still lots of 80 gem stuff at 7 cents each and 60 gem stuff at 5 cents each. Buying the 100 gem stuff may be easier, but it's not the best exchange rate. Plus, there's virtually no boosters left you can buy that have a profit at those valuations.

Sakura Spirit begs to differ

Lomax

Sakura Spirit begs to differ

One booster per person for one game not widely owned isn't going to drive the gem market. A few outliers will always exist, but eventually even those cards will get pushed down as well.

And at 9 cents per 100, it costs 67.5 cents to make a Sakura Spirit booster, and most of the cards are at 31 cents each (and dropping). So you'll get 84 cents off that booster for a grand total of 17 cents profit. Not exactly breaking the bank, and it's a game most people don't own, and that's once a day. And all it takes is prices dropping 5 cents more per card (and buy order prices already have) and that profit is gone.

When does the summer sale start?

When the auction is over ;-)

derExperte

Holiday profile at 370.000 gems.

And sacks are rising in price slowly again.

Also Valve should make every item work like the sacks, meaning you don't see every single one in your inventory but only one and the the number you own under it. Would make selling easier too.

Question about the steam winter sale. Do publishers let valve know in advance by now if they are putting something on sale?Can they do it while the sale is on but didnt let valve know beforehand and lets them know during the sale?

baterism

Soo.... while I was sleeping, gem sacks back to market and the price is shooting up. I already made back the money I used to buy bgs and emoties by selling some bags.

Come on market, push to $1!

derExperte

Question about the steam winter sale. Do publishers let valve know in advance by now if they are putting something on sale?Can they do it while the sale is on but didnt let valve know beforehand and lets them know during the sale?

Valve sends out mails/requests to set sale prices until a certain date. They know everything.

EdmondD

I'm hoping for Eidolon to go for at least 50% off. That is the one game I really want this sale. It was 33% off during the autumn sale so I might have to wait for the summer sale.

Jawmuncher

The Horse Boss is giving me way more trouble then I care to admit.
Not the actual horse itself but the beginning carriage part. Those damn skeletons and Necromancers always put me in a bad spot. Gave up and decided to just come back to it later. First time I really hit a wall and had to turn back.

_hekk05

Banned
While the gem bubble is happening, Amazon germany is selling Vitas for 100 euros. wtf is happening

I'm honestly quite tempted

edit: wtf its 84 euros now? temptation rising

double edit: a bug on amazon is showing 84 euros as price before checkout lol
its actually 108.25 euros inc shipping

triple edit: Its actually 84.01 eur and 24.24 shipping

Lain

I have 400ish gems... how do I search for games with loooow offers? Relevance, name and release date are totally useless way to order things in this case.

madjoki

I have 400ish gems... how do I search for games with loooow offers? Relevance, name and release date are totally useless way to order things in this case.

You don't.

Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can is lowest, 2k gems.

Better wait for later rounds, values probably go down.

Top Bottom