• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Man, some of these bids in the auction are fucking nuts. Why would anyone pay like twice as much as the store price?

Thank god it's not for charity.

I'm just at a loss for words at some of these bids. I'm assuming they will be cancelled before the auctions start and they were just put in place to dissuade others from bidding. I can't really fathom any other explanation.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Turfster

Really, Volvo? This Cinders rare emoticon worth 30 cents is worth 20 gems?
(Well, 30 cents asking price, 12 cents buying price, still)

MUnited83

For you.
I figured as much. I read quite a few complaints in the announcement thread that there isn't much of an active player base on the PC for the games, but if people are buying them regardless (which is the case), then it makes sense to take advantage of the long tail the PC offers.

I never had any issues getting matches. Might not be super popular but there's always at least a few people playing.

Kaleinc

Banned
I've been away from the thread for several days (Pokemon happened), only to come back and be greeted by a .gif of a spider coming out of a girl's mouth. Welp, back to (non-Community) Gaming side it is!
Poor spider could have been swallowed at girl's whim, I was glad he made it out safe :p

Can someone do me a favour? In that Nightmares of the Deep 2 game I posted impressions of the other day, there's a QR code. The creator says it's legit but is being coy about saying what it is because he doesn't want to spoil. I don't have a smartphone, my 3DS says it's not supported, and I can't get ZXing to decode it either. The image isn't very good, but can someone try this out and tell me what it is?

Probably just a coupon or a link to their website, but maybe it's a cute easter egg, I dunno.

In b4 don't forget to drink your ovaltine

SPMl5km.jpg

dex3108

Can someone do me a favour? In that Nightmares of the Deep 2 game I posted impressions of the other day, there's a QR code. The creator says it's legit but is being coy about saying what it is because he doesn't want to spoil. I don't have a smartphone, my 3DS says it's not supported, and I can't get ZXing to decode it either. The image isn't very good, but can someone try this out and tell me what it is?

Probably just a coupon or a link to their website, but maybe it's a cute easter egg, I dunno.

SPMl5km.jpg

www.artifexmundi.com Holiday Sale :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz

SPMl5km.jpg

links to www.artifexmundi.com

that's it.

Lomax

SPMl5km.jpg

It's a link to their web site, artifexmundi.com

MUnited83

For you.
ModBot said:
Instructions for BernardoOne:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Guns n Zombies -- MB-34200879E4F29858 - Taken by chronomac. 2 entrants total.
Reversion the 2n Chapter -- MB-475B7FE5D67DE38B - Taken by r3n4ud. 3 entrants total.

t1418657384z1.png

baterism

30 minutes to auction. I really want to see how it turn out. Will gem price rising? Or will it flop?
I predict it will down slightly after people see the deal isn't really a deal. But, if the reason people bid is for the fun of it, it might rise again. Shit is exciting.

SPMl5km.jpg
It's Frog Fractions 2.

Deitus

"Chess 2 the Sequel" is a shit title.

I think that title could work as a tongue in cheek jab at the idea of making a sequel to chess, which is absurd. But from the look of the Steam page, they seem to seriously be positioning that game as an evolution of chess.

So the title seems to be completely serious, and thus incredibly unimaginative. How unfortunate. I was hoping it would be more along the lines of Hamlet 2 (except, you know, good).

30 minutes to auction. I really want to see how it turn out. Will gem price rising? Or will it flop?
I predict it will down slightly after people see the deal isn't really a deal. But, if the reason people bid is for the fun of it, it might rise again. Shit is exciting.

Logic does not play a part for Steam community.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Time Mysteries: The Final Enigma -- MB-FCFB406ACEF4D21A - Taken by Sendou
Reversion: The Meeting (Chapter 2) -- MB-8AF7F2DBD3367524 - Taken by Parsnip
Guns'n'Zombies -- MB-B3245C0C5BD33107 - Taken by inm8num2
Left in the Dark: No One on Board -- MB-96D52C1E3B90ABD5 - Taken by Turfster
Northmark: Hour of the Wolf -- MB-9042128BD4A46CA1 - Taken by derExperte

derExperte

Left in the Dark is a solid hidden objects game, 6.5/10 if you like the genre. The Time Mysteries series on the other hand is imo very annoying, too many objects scenes and A LOT of jumping around in time aka backtracking. Also their stories are stupider than usual.

Also thanks to JaseC for all the games you don't want to get thanked for.

Nordicus

Probably. I bet there's a sizable gap between the top bid and the second most bid on a lot of these games.
Yes and no. The top bid will only offer the 2nd place bid + 100 (or less if you can't afford that 100 extra). Everyone's basically playing with automated bids in a sense

MUnited83

For you.
Yes and no. The top bid will only offer the 2nd place bid + 100 (or less if you can't afford that 100 extra). Everyone's basically playing with automated bids in a sense

Well, some people seem to back out of the bid once they are outbid. I remember bidding 8000 on a 13000 bid and I was #2.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
After a while the "Thank you!" PMs started to clog up in my inbox, plus they're just unwanted bundle fluff. I have more PMs than games on Steam, haha.

I rather get nothing than a thank in you in my PM - they always seem somewhat "forced" (since modbot tells you to do it automatically) and they add nothing to the event.

Which is why I usually don't thank people through PMs on giveaways through modbot, and I'm sorry for it.

Lomax

You also can't change your bid more than once every 10 seconds it seems.

That's good, that means no one can snipe a bunch of titles using a bot. I think by the time we get to auction 60 or so there will be decent deals to be found, especially during off-peak hours.

I rather get nothing than a thank in you in my PM - they always seem somewhat "forced" (since modbot tells you to do it automatically) and they add nothing to the event.

Which is why I usually don't thank people through PMs on giveaways through modbot, and I'm sorry for it.

When I get what I consider "major" wins, I always send a thanks along with a comment about why I was interested in the game (tbh, it's only happened like three times). When I suck up bundle leftovers I just move on. Like 90% of the games I've taken are ones from timed giveaways that no one entered for at all.

Turfster

God damn Indiegala and their broken as fuck site.

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Turfster, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Bureau -- MB-F7A06A4D9DDD696B - Taken by eyeless. 4 entrants total.

t1418658705z1.png

baterism

Well, some people seem to back out of the bid once they are outbid. I remember bidding 8000 on a 13000 bid and I was #2.

Is there something that 2nd bidder will get? Stuff I want have top bidder at 34k and I second at 24k. That, I think is still too much compared to current gem price. If the second bidder still get a copy for price he's currently bidding, I would rather cancel my bid.

Deitus

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't send thank you PMs because Modbot tells me to. I do it because I was taught from a young age to show appreciation when someone does something nice for me. If someone is giving me a free game, saying "thank you" the absolute least I can do.

But I do respect when someone uses the "No thank yous" rule.

JaseC

Is there something that 2nd bidder will get? Stuff I want have top bidder at 34k and I second at 24k. That, I think is still too much compared to current gem price. If the second bidder still get a copy for price he's currently bidding, I would rather cancel my bid.

Nope. To win anything you have to be the top bidder at the time the auction ends and there are 45 minutes between each one.

Top Bottom