• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I bought Shadow Of Mordor, can I run the Ultra HD texture pack with this:

CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4770k, s1150 @ 3.50Ghz
GPU: MSI Nvidia Geforce 970
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB DDR3
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

Since it says you need a 6GB graphics card, but I think I read people saying it ran fine even if you don't.

What Warner and even Digital Foundry failed to clarify is that 6GB is only needed if you run UHD textures and max out the resolution option (200% of your native resolution -- e.g. 1920x1080 becomes 3840x2160). A 970 is fine for native res + UHD textures... unless your native res is, say, 4k.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's neat, but if it lasts a month and cost a bazillion dollars... is it worth it?

Well, no. But it's cool that the person who won it actually activated it so I could have a look at the CSS. ;)

Interestingly enough, the CSS is labeled "skin_1" meaning they're probably planning on making more of these "profile themes". I guess having a limited-time-only one was a good way to test this out before going live with the functionality for everyone.

Kiru

So what we get from the Dark Souls announcement is that the game is still not really Steamworks, but you can play it now without GFWL by activating the beta option on your game. Full Steam only version will come February 16th.

JaseC

I still feel that the Golden Potato badge should be worth a whole lot more. That things was tricky to get!

Yeah, but people didn't spend much money on Steam to get it. ;)

So what we get from the Dark Souls announcement is that the game is still not really Steamworks, but you can still play it now by activating the beta option on your game. Full Steam only version will come February 16th.

February is quite the slip considering the patch was supposed to go live in November before being pushed back a month. I wonder if there'll be more to it than just GFWL -> Steamworks.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
It is... kinda neat?

There are also little animated elves that jump around and stuff so I guess there's that.

ewwww ... that looks horrible O_O

and to think that some people are actually willing to pay for that O_O

JaseC

This will be my first winter sale as a PC owner. How do you guys normally handle it? Do you set a budget and stick to it? Do you make a list of games you want?

Buy the Dailies then, as the sale draws to a close, whatever is cheap until my budget hits $0. This is the first Winter Sale during which I'll have a decent amount to spend, so it's the first one I'm rather excited for.

JustinBB7

What Warner and even Digital Foundry failed to clarify is that 6GB is only needed if you run UHD textures and max out the resolution option (200% of your native resolution -- e.g. 1920x1080 becomes 3840x2160). A 970 is fine for native res + UHD textures... unless your native res is, say, 4k.

Aah ok, I just use 1920x1080, so that will be fine then, thanks :)

Leg-End

Time to start Dark Souls then, I've only waited since the summer sales (well not really, but atleast since they announced this patch).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think everyone spends way too much their first time, without wanting to.

Yeah, I think I dropped about $200 on my first sale. There were so many games that I wanted to play and they were all cheaper than I could imagine. Now I know realistically I'm not going to have the time to play all of the games on my account, I'm much more selective about what I'll spend money on.

Buy the Dailies then, as the sale draws to a close, whatever is cheap until my budget hits $0. This is the first Winter Sale during which I'll have a decent amount to spend, so it's the first one I'm rather excited for.

Is there a lot of stuff you're even missing at this point? Or are you going for that #1 collector spot?

Dr Dogg

Well great to see folks fawning over another rehashed port 'upgraded' for the newer consoles. You'd thinking buying the likes of FIFA and Madden year on year is bad.

Sooooo how long before this becomes an Enhanced Steam feature? Though I bet there are some badgers very jelly about that one off badge.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

don't listen to this man ... he's the last person who should be giving advice about steam purchases ;)

derExperte

Don't wait for the dailies, that's a lie perpetrated by the ruling class. Fight the power, buy what you want on day 1.

Now it's at 1,365€. Don't worry, I won't post daily updates but something extreme like this doesn't happen all too often.

I lied, I'll post daily updates if it continues like this. 1,314€, that's almost 4% less than on Friday.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
had to remove DSFix to make new dark souls load a game (of course), but now there's no "beta" version for me to select.

Weird.

Edit: Oh, It showed up now. Weird.

chronomac

Don't wait for the dailies, that's a lie perpetrated by the ruling class. Fight the power, buy what you want on day 1.

I lied, I'll post daily updates if it continues like this. 1,314€, that's almost 4% less than on Friday.

Outdated by an hour or so, but this is what it looks like, in terms of ruble to USD:

B46CP2OCAAARS5Q.png

So we're looking at almost getting to 63 rubles to 1 US dollar.

baterism

This gem system has worked spectacularly. Just the exact way valve wanted it to. Took so much useless junk out of the system. They have made bank.

Looking at current bids, it is either they never learn or the 2nd bidder forgot to cancel their former outrageous bid. I'm thankful I was informed about 2nd bid auto top.

I mean, 38k for Civ V vanilla is plain stupid.

jshackles

Sooooo how long before this becomes an Enhanced Steam feature? Though I bet there are some badgers very jelly about that one off badge.

I think we'll definitely see this in Enhanced Steam, especially considering that the CSS is labeled as "skin_1". I strongly suspect that Valve will continue to introduce new "profile skins", likely as a reward for gem recycling and they'll probably be marketable.

I'll probably just add a feature to the "edit profile" page similar to the custom backgrounds, where you'll be able to select a custom theme. Once selected, everyone that visits your profile page will see the skin.

Hmm I think it might be too early to say something about that, because it's still not really Steam only now.

They are talking about the tranfer process in the update though. What I'm not sure about, are there GFWL-only copies of Dark Souls? Or did every version activate on Steam anyway? That might decide what happens to the keys.

JaseC

Is there a lot of stuff you're even missing at this point? Or are you going for that #1 collector spot?

SteamDB says that of the titles that currently have store info, I'm missing 658 (including software but excluding DLC). I don't doubt that I've missed the boat on too much stuff to even crack the Top 5 without those ahead of me winding down their purchasing habits, but I knew that hitting #1 would be unrealistic back when I caught the collecting bug almost 2.5 years ago.

don't listen to this man ... he's the last person who should be giving advice about steam purchases ;)

I wasn't giving him advice, just answering the question of "What do you do?"

Top Bottom