• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game -- MB-D4E1DD74E1CAD9F8 - Taken by zkylon. 10 entrants total.

t1417507686z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game -- MB-D4E1DD74E1CAD9F8 - Taken by zkylon

t1417507686z1.png

cmon modbot, i need a smile

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Nzyme32, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 22 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nzyme32, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PixelJunk Eden -- MB-12A50D1A2E8FC2E9 - Taken by Natty1. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-5343DEBD5968A9E4 - Taken by the_firewithin. 1 entrants total.
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box -- MB-F09BDED9CC01904A - Taken by Sokka. 2 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-28D9C13BF1B31EAF - Taken by rickyson1. 1 entrants total.
BioShock 2 -- MB-286E101EA937DD2A - Taken by Nordicus. 14 entrants total.
Shank -- MB-D7C04C0CF5C2BA6E - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-DC397F30D70827A3 - Taken by Florida Man. 1 entrants total.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-4E2961F76215A3C7 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 6 entrants total.
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified -- MB-783CBC672754E329 - Taken by BinaryPork2737. 6 entrants total.
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines -- MB-3B3806D4EF968AB0 - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 2 entrants total.
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty -- MB-7237941A81086D70 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin -- MB-DB6FDB426FFB890E - Taken by autoduelist. 1 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-08FDB18EE4894C34 - Taken by Naked Snake. 1 entrants total.
BioShock -- MB-BC0F93F1817742E6 - Taken by Vlad. 2 entrants total.
Commandos 2: Men of Courage -- MB-9D8577AFDE791BBC - Taken by Abomination. 3 entrants total.
War of the Roses: Kingmaker -- MB-3E43B5E4FE699A2B - Taken by freshVeggie. 1 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-ED1A8634027A576C - Taken by The Reloader. 2 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-18DA69D5067DCBA6
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-DAD453F41D6C5AF7 - Taken by roadrunn3r. 1 entrants total.
Mirror's Edge -- MB-FA92ADE0DC603A4C - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Warlock: Master of the Arcane -- MB-F56A41B99EB6F181 - Taken by Lomax. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Mafia II -- MB-264AC471F943878F - Taken by texhnolyze. 10 entrants total.

t1417550824z1.png

ExoSoul

Banned
Do I? After 21 Psych ward visits and multiple diagnoses of the exact same thing this perfectly describes me. :p

Although I differ from most people with psychopathy in various ways, i.e. brutal unfiltered honesty, adherence to the non-aggression principle (at least "physically" or in self-defense), and a couple other things.

Sorry but a real psychopath wouldn't reveal that about themselves so casually.

Edit: sociopath or psychopath which would you prefer?

Arthea

what's going on here... again?

finally the sale is almost over and we'll have peace and quite for couple of weeks.

As in what the best game I bought this sale, it remains to be seen, most likely WolfTNO if we talk new, other than that Anno 1404 perhaps?

what's going on here... again?

finally the sale is almost over and we'll have peace and quite for couple of weeks.

As in what the best game I bought this sale, it remains to be seen, most likely WolfTNO if we talk new, other than that Anno 1404 perhaps?

I had 0 interest in Anno 1404, I still bought it because it was cheap, but now that I've seen a playthrough the game actually seems great and I might play it if my backlog allows it.

The best game I bought is probably Battle Block Theater, it's super fun in coop, Wolf is great too, but mostly because of the price mistake, not feeling super hot about the game currently, but I only played an hour.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Sorry but a real psychopath wouldn't reveal that about themselves so casually.

Edit: sociopath or psychopath which would you prefer?

Both of those are very different according to Hare, but I like I said differ from most in the sense that, I'm honest. Which makes it more challenging and substantively rewarding to accomplish my goals.

In fact as I've experienced being brutally honest about everything (not lying) actually hurts people far more deeply than deceiving them. Plus, it allows me to see if I can be honest with somebody about everything and STILL destroy them mentally. Because for me, physical violence is too easy, but pillaging somebody's mind after you flat out tell them you will, is far more of a mental chess game.

I.E. - I'm equal parts suicidal and homicidal in a nihilistic style. As in, when a cop tries to arrest me, I will verbally attack him, his family, his job, his person and challenge that if he's a "man more than a cowardly cop" to put his gun to my head and pull the trigger. I tell him about all the mental havoc I take everywhere which is far more dangerous than physical violence, and if he intends to protect and serve to kill me right now. Same with doctors, love playing mind games with doctors, quizing them on the clinical trials of medications their trying to give I've researched discovering I know more than they do, and telling them they might wanna do a few more years in med school. Especially if the doctor is a foreign doctor I very much enjoy degrading them about their accent and how their lack of communication skills is counter-productive to psychiatry...because effective communication is paramount there. Tell them to either trot back to India or learn some better English. I've had doc's that refused to see me after I put them through a verbal/intellectual meat grinder for the 2/3rd time, I end up getting sent to another hospital. But nothing I say is "dishonest", just cutting to the core verbally cruel and mean...but in a honest and intellectual way. ;p

zkylon

zkylewd
it was a game called wickland

i'm not sure what it is but i installed it

anyways im glad i won , i needed some cheering up

thank you mr stranger

Arthea

I had 0 interest in Anno 1404, I still bought it because it was cheap, but now that I've seen a playthrough the game actually seems great and I might play it if my backlog allows it.

The best game I bought is probably Battle Block Theater, it's super fun in coop, Wolf is great too, but mostly because of the price mistake, not feeling super hot about the game currently, but I only played an hour.
Anno is a good game, true, give it a try.

The BattleBlock Theater is certainly funny, but I lost interest somewhere along the way, I had this feeling that it's probably better in coop, yeah.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Look past the shiny new AAA stuff to the indie or older games.
Check out the recommendation threads (did toma do a thread?)

Some very good deals are there: Dishonored GOTY, Valve complete pack, XCom complete and Saints Row IV GOTC right now are the cheapest they've ever been on Steam.

Thanks for the suggestions;
.Games Under $10 USD section
.sort by User Reviews

And
.already have 23 / 50 games from the first two pages of the title listing
.have most of the important Valve games, have the XCom Series
.don't like Saints Row IV (I didn't even install and play SR III I have in my library)
.want Child of Light, but has Uplay (so frack it)
.want Dawn of War II Retribution, but its mind blowing $10.19 (beats my, never buy anything more than $10 during sales commitment)
.Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall is cheap, but I didn't fancy playing Shadowrun Returns again..strangely
.Bioshock 2 never played, so I might look into this
.Splinter Cell Blacklist never played, so I might look into this

Then
.selected Narrow by tag "Indie"

And again
.already have more than half of the top user rated indie games
.LYNE looks nice

Honestly
.I am asking my wife to get me Steam games from this sale, she said she's got some amount of steam $$.$$'s in her account
(someone save my soul!?)

Arthea

I can't recommend LYNE enough, here I do it again, buy and play LYNE, it's probably the best zen game on steam if not ever. ;)
oh and I recommend Hexcells too

ArjanN

.Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall is cheap, but I didn't fancy playing Shadowrun Returns again..strangely

Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut is a completely different (and better) campaign than Shadowrun Returns, with a bunch of technical improvements as well.

Both of those are very different according to Hare, but I like I said differ from most in the sense that, I'm honest. Which makes it more challenging and substantively rewarding to accomplish my goals.

In fact as I've experienced being brutally honest about everything (not lying) actually hurts people far more deeply than deceiving them. Plus, it allows me to see if I can be honest with somebody about everything and STILL destroy them mentally. Because for me, physical violence is too easy, but pillaging somebody's mind after you flat out tell them you will, is far more of a mental chess game.

I.E. - I'm equal parts suicidal and homicidal in a nihilistic style. As in, when a cop tries to arrest me, I will verbally attack him, his family, his job, his person and challenge that if he's a "man more than a cowardly cop" to put his gun to my head and pull the trigger. I tell him about all the mental havoc I take everywhere which is far more dangerous than physical violence, and if he intends to protect and serve to kill me right now. Same with doctors, love playing mind games with doctors, quizing them on the clinical trials of medications their trying to give I've researched discovering I know more than they do, and telling them they might wanna do a few more years in med school. Especially if the doctor is a foreign doctor I very much enjoy degrading them about their accent and how their lack of communication skills is counter-productive to psychiatry...because effective communication is paramount there. Tell them to either trot back to India or learn some better English. I've had doc's that refused to see me after I put them through a verbal/intellectual meat grinder for the 2/3rd time, I end up getting sent to another hospital. But nothing I say is "dishonest", just cutting to the core verbally cruel and mean...but in a honest and intellectual way. ;p

So basically you're like the Hannibal Lector of being a jackass.

zkylon

zkylewd
finally finished valkyria

what a wonderful and sweet game, i knew i was gonna like it but i didn't think i would like it this much

it's obviously got issues, what with some lame fights and i'm not much of a fan of how the potential system works, and i've already said how i think the morality in this game is a bit iffy, (also giant boobs are dumb) but its heart is in the right place, and nowadays that's really hard to find

i play games mostly for their stories and welkin has got to be one of my favorite protagonists ever and this very human war tale was very touching and heartfelt. i loved it

gonna be in my goty list for sure, i'm glad i found the time to play it

ExoSoul

Banned
Those are two different diagnostic criteria.

I know, I asked: if given choice, which would you choose.

Psycho and sociopaths have a common trait, a very strong sense of self preservation.

Yes, sometimes people expect you to lie to them, to spare the feelings and ease the burden of life.
"Mental chess game" - if only you could see the grin on my face right now. Consider this: wouldn't you feel more pleasure in seeing someone's mind break without them realising why, knowing you were the cause?

zkylon

zkylewd
kane and lynch for like $1.75 is pretty good

it's not a very fun game but then again i'd argue that game was made with that intent

its got a really good story and pretty strong characters, actually

i liked it a lot

kane & lynch 2 has a less compelling story but it's got a very interesting art direction so i'd say it's also worth a shot

combined they're $5 in a pack with all the dlc but i'd recommend skipping the pack and just buying the games separate. the multiplayer i played wasn't terrible or anything (it actually had a few interesting elements) but it's not really worth to pay money for like masks or guns or whatever. you're not gonna play kane & lynch 2 multiplayer more than once or twice at best

edit: oh and imo kane and lynch 2 has probably a top 3 main menu in gaming history. probably exagerating but it's really good

ArynCrinn

Banned
I know, I asked: if given choice, which would you choose.

Psycho and sociopaths have a common trait, a very strong sense of self preservation.

Yes, sometimes people expect you to lie to them, to spare the feelings and ease the burden of life.
"Mental chess game" - if only you could see the grin on my face right now. Consider this: wouldn't you feel more pleasure in seeing someone's mind break without them realising why, knowing you were the cause?

No, for me it's the opposite, it's "I warned you this would happen, didn't I, so who is the real idiot here"? "See those scars on your mind and the things I said you'll never forget, just know you were warned and were too stupid to walk away, rest with that". Deception is too easy...and they can always cop out by blaming me, but in my tactics I make it clear I was honest from the start and your pain was your own doing, nobody to blame but yourself if you take the bait after being warned.

Mental chess game is a accurate description, both parties know the game is being played, loser has no excuses. Deception is different.

Top Bottom