• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Chariot

Fuck, some idiot just had gems for 20 cents on the market. Couldn't grab any, just watch how some asshole stole it from me, despite me seeing it first >:O

Annubis

Fuck, some idiot just had gems for 20 cents on the market. Couldn't grab any, just watch how some asshole stole it from me, despite me seeing it first >:O

If I were to make a buy order for gems under 50 cents, how does Steam decides who gets it? Is it first come first served?

zkylon

zkylewd
Looking at my activity feed all I see is lots of people 'unlocking' a shit load of Dark Souls achievements (well that and Ozium still banging on about that Dragon game). Like an amount too quickly to be earned all at once. When I finally get round to knocking out the last of the GFWL Achievements I'm going to start up a fresh save and get all the Steam ones fair and square from actually playing the game.

i still have one of the equipment cheevos left to unlock so it's the same if i unlock them all right away or not :>

madjoki

Your 15,000 estimate is too high. There are currently 42 pages of auctions 1000 gems or less, and only 4 pages of games higher than 15k.

Since I scan about all auctions:

Code:
mysql> SELECT COUNT(*), SUM(top_bid), AVG(top_bid) FROM auctions;
+----------+--------------+--------------+
| COUNT(*) | SUM(top_bid) | AVG(top_bid) |
|     1925 |      6630855 |    3444.6000 |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

6 630 855 gems for 1925 auctions ~ 3450 average price.

Holiday profile however may screw this so without holiday profile:

Code:
mysql> SELECT COUNT(*), SUM(top_bid), AVG(top_bid) FROM auctions WHERE id!=1;
|     1924 |      6255155 |    3251.1201 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

6 255 155 gems for 1924 auctions ~ 3250 average.

Too bad steam doesn't list winning amounts.

Anustart

Beat the bed of chaos, but now I dunno where I'm going since it's been so long lol. I have That soul and seath's, seemingly it for the lord souls.

XShagrath

Won my first auction today.. LEGO Pirates.

Figured it won't be under $10 during the sale, and I used exclusively grinded gems, so it was basically free for me.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I've sent modbot a couple of PM's, but it still hasn't responded after almost an hour. Is the poor cyborg having problems? (i'm probably screwing some things up, but i'm asking to be sure nonetheless)
A bummer, because it clearly has potential. (Potentially NSFW)
Potentially?

From what i've read, the development process has been...interesting, to say the least. I'm afraid the game's going to be an incredible mess. Here's hoping it's an enjoyable one.
Still looking forward to it. There are never too much pirate themed games out there. ^_^

Uzzy

Beat the bed of chaos, but now I dunno where I'm going since it's been so long lol. I have That soul and seath's, seemingly it for the lord souls.

You're missing two more.
The Four Kings, who you fight in the Abyss, through New Londo Ruins, and Gravelord Nito, who you get to through the Tomb of Giants, which you get to via the Catacombs.

Potentially?

From what i've read, the development process has been...interesting, to say the least. I'm afraid the game's going to be an incredible mess. Here's hoping it's an enjoyable one.
Still looking forward to it. There are never too much pirate themed games out there. ^_^

Looking at the dev's other works, you're probably right; I imagine it will be a hot mess of some sort. But, hey, I liked Risen 2, so there's always a glimmer of hope.

Annubis

Since I scan about all auctions:

Code:
mysql> SELECT COUNT(*), SUM(top_bid), AVG(top_bid) FROM auctions;
|     1925 |      6630855 |    3444.6000 |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

6 630 855 gems for 1925 auctions ~ 3450 average price.

Holiday profile however may screw this so without holiday profile:

Code:
mysql> SELECT COUNT(*), SUM(top_bid), AVG(top_bid) FROM auctions WHERE id!=1;
|     1924 |      6255155 |    3251.1201 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

6 255 155 gems for 1924 auctions ~ 3250 average.

Too bad steam doesn't list winning amounts.

Thanks for that, I guess my ballpark estimate was bad.

So that's 6,637,800 every 45 minutes, thus 212,409,600 a day only.
That's 212,410 bags at 1.35$CAN -> 286,752.96$CAN

What are all those hundreds of games at ~1000 gem? My 'bids' I took on games to watch their value are all much higher.
Is there a site or list to use to check those?

BTW, on the last round, I saw that someone shoved about 18k gems on 'Roomates' at the last second before it ended (I guess he really wanted to make sure he won it... ?)

Monooboe

I was responsible today and bought Office University Edition, so that's a huge chuck of my wintersale budget... Still excited about the sale though.:D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Third auction game won, ZAMB! Biomutant Extermination. 7 more to go, though think I'll be able to manage at least most of them, 5 of the 7 I'm currently in top 3 spots for, other two I'm in the top 10 and top 15 for.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
BTW, on the last round, I saw that someone shoved about 18k gems on 'Roomates' at the last second before it ended (I guess he really wanted to make sure he won it... ?)

Does the winning bid pay the whole of the bid, or do they pay just over what the next highest bid is?

madjoki

Thanks for that, I guess my ballpark estimate was bad.

So that's 6,637,800 every 45 minutes, thus 212,409,600 a day only.
That's 212,410 bags at 1.35$CAN -> 286,752.96$CAN

What are all those hundreds of games at ~1000 gem? My 'bids' I took on games to watch their value are all much higher.
Is there a site or list to use to check those?

http://steamauction.madjoki.com/?all=1&sort=cheapest

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah, I must have put four kings in the alter already as I killed them. So just Nito remains. Guess I should check into how to find this dlc.

there's a gold golem behind the hydra in darkroot basin. you kill it, gir lpops out, you talk to her, you go to duke's archive first bonfire and kill the golem on the right for the key, then go back to where the gold golem was an interact when prompted

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On people paying more than they need too, there's a glitch(?) that happened for me too where in the LAST COUPLE MINUTES before the auction was up, it showed previous old prices of the game from previous 1st place holders. I spent more than I needed to on Darkness Within 2 since in the last minute it showed the price was 1,900 for the current first place holder, but that was a previous winner who had won a previous round, the lowest bid was actually 1,700, so I spent a little over 200 gems than I needed too getting it. And I checked the other game pages I was bidding on and the same thing happened, though I didn't increase my bid on those.

It may, in fact, not be a glitch, and just there to make snipers pay more than they need too, though.

tmarg

There's a glitch(?) that happened for me too where in the LAST FEW MINUTES before the auction was up, it showed previous old prices of the game. I spent more than I needed too on Darknes Within 2 since in the last minute it showed the price was 1,900, but that was a previous winner, the lowest bid was actually 1,700, so I spent a little over 200 gems than I needed too getting it. And I checked the other game pages I was bidding on and the same thing happened, though I didn't increase my bid on those.

I noticed that too, but it only ever happened on the search page, not the actual bidding page. At least for me.

from the latest beta client

controller_config_controller.png

Water

The highest buy order gets those, you had no chance.

I'm not entirely convinced of that. Sometimes the market seems bugged as hell. Maybe it's just the output seen that is wrong, but it really feels like it's possible for you to have the highest bid and lose a newly made cheaper sell offer to some lower bid.

Under very intense market conditions, like how gems were when the dupe bug was still in effect, the whole thing just explodes and makes no sense - the sell and buy offer prices displayed on the store page cross over, etc. You have to make your orders by instinct essentially.

If we could get an absolute, reliable transaction log over some timeframe for some item it'd be easier to verify WTF is actually happening.

madjoki

On people paying more than they need too, there's a glitch(?) that happened for me too where in the LAST FEW MINUTES before the auction was up, it showed previous old prices of the game. I spent more than I needed too on Darknes Within 2 since in the last minute it showed the price was 1,900, but that was a previous winner, the lowest bid was actually 1,700, so I spent a little over 200 gems than I needed too getting it. And I checked the other game pages I was bidding on and the same thing happened, though I didn't increase my bid on those.

It may, in fact, not be a glitch, and just there to make snipers pay more than they need too, though.

I think something similar happen to me, it should work like ebay like it increases only after someone overbids you, but it seems to be committing max price.

I only overpaid by 100-ish gems, so no big loss.

It still has two touchpads which has been its defining feature since the start. I still can't wait to buy one.

yeah, I'll never get this sentiment. The two trackpads and the haptic feedback has been it's main attraction since the announcement. They're still there. But for some reason people think the touchscreen was its defining feature and now with it gone it's just like a regular controller. Yeah, because the DS or Xbox controller have dual trackpads...

Turfster

Heartlands keys available for Indiegala Every Monday 32

Games Republic deals
  • Deponia 80% off
  • Chaos on Deponia 75% off
  • Goodbye Deponia 50% off
  • Blackguards 66% off
  • Book of Unwritten Tales & Critter Chronicles 90% off
  • The Raven 85% off
  • Mysterious Cities of Gold 75% off
  • Mousecraft 60% off
  • Crusader Kings II + DLC 75% off
  • Europa Universalis IV 75% off
  • Darksiders I & II 85% off

Ubi started their own sale on Uplay, which includes steam games, like the Batman fruitbowl 75% off

Does anyone here aim for Indie pack as well?

I gave up on it when people kept bidding it up =p

Anustart

Ventured into Tomb of Giants, was murdered by 3 of those necromancers that was once a boss and like 6 dwarf skeletons biting my ankles.

madjoki

I'm not entirely convinced of that. Sometimes the market seems bugged as hell. Maybe it's just the output seen that is wrong, but it really feels like it's possible for you to have the highest bid and lose a newly made cheaper sell offer to some lower bid.

Under very intense market conditions, like how gems were when the dupe bug was still in effect, the whole thing just explodes and makes no sense - the sell and buy offer prices displayed on the store page cross over, etc. You have to make your orders by instinct essentially.

If we could get an absolute, reliable transaction log over some timeframe for some item it'd be easier to verify WTF is actually happening.

Market seems to handle multiple currencies 'bad',
which causes cent differences and order will be wrong.

This is my thinking from what I've seen to happen while selling and buying and can be wrong:

Without buy orders:
Items are sometimes listed: 0.76€, 0.77€, 0.76€, 0.78€.
(Buy orders could be using same order)

With buy orders:
ie. Buy orders in dollars: 10x 0.77$, 10x 0.76$.

In currency X this could be just: 20x 0.5€
But you can't actually win before higher orders are fulfilled. (Assuming 0.77 would be bit higher like 0.50001)

I'm enjoying Murdered : Soul Suspect so far. So much shit to collect.

I'm 3 hours in and pretty sure I've unlocked half of the achievements so far.

Most achievements are story related.
Assuming you're collectionist, you should be getting every single achievement during one playthought.

tmarg

yeah, I'll never get this sentiment. The two trackpads and the haptic feedback has been it's main attraction since the announcement. They're still there. But for some reason people think the touchscreen was its defining feature and now with it gone it's just like a regular controller. Yeah, because the DS or Xbox controller have dual trackpads...

My issue isn't that I don't think it's different enough, I just can't really get excited about a third party controller when pretty much every third party controller ever made has sucked, including the ones made by experienced kb+m manufacturers, and even the big three console makers can't get it right 100% of the time.

Making controllers is hard.

Monooboe

Most achievements are story related.
Assuming you're collectionist, you should be getting every single achievement during one playthought.

There are some that one can miss in areas that you can't revisit. I was so close, got 98% on that game, I'm slightly bitter about it.XD

Dr Dogg

I really wasn't trying and I only missed 3 Chievos. Sort of non spoilery tip if you want to get them all. You'll notice in the menu that you have x out of y counters for collectables for the story area you are in but there's one area a bit further in at a museum. Make sure to grab everything while you're there as you can't go back and freeroam like everywhere else.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

BROTIP: There's only one area you can't revisit once you've activated the finale.
The Museum.

So long as you clear that out, you can 100% the game on the first playthrough.

My issue isn't that I don't think it's different enough, I just can't really get excited about a third party controller when pretty much every third party controller ever made has sucked, including the ones made by experienced kb+m manufacturers, and even the big three console makers can't get it right 100% of the time.

Making controllers is hard.

Being skeptical is fine. But saying it's turning into a regular controller is silly. If they ditch the left trackpad for another analog stick or 4 button diamonds, then people can start saying that :p

baterism

I can't tell much about Designer. I chose Painter because it's more familiar to me and I don't like to mess with nodes much.
Thanks for the answer
The average auction by now should be somewhere around 15,000 gems.
That means that every 45 minutes 2,000 games X 15,000 gems disappear from the market.

That's a loss of 30,000,000 gems every 45 minutes.
That's 960,000,000 gems disappearing just for today.

At market value of 1.35$ (CAN), that symbolizes 1,296,000 $ being 'spent' on games today.

I forgot just how many auctioned games are. If we use madjoki average, 200,000 games would need 3250*200,000= 650,000,000 gems or 8,125,000 bgs or emoties.
I don't know how many bgs and emoties out there, but needed bgs/emo don't seem that high in percentage.
Currently, all CSGO bgs and emoties listed on market are not more than 20k in number.
At first, I expect if it is possible for bgs and emoties shortage in near future before end of auction. But looking at trade volume (pretty small) I think majority of needed bgs and emoties have been gemified in early stage of auction. The gem sacks traded now are just early gem lords trickling their gems. I don't expect a rise based on scarcity until the end of auction. Last day of auction it's possible we see price plummeted as people opening gem flood gate. What happened after the auction is what interesting.

Things started to become pretty confusing for me. That's it for today I guess.

Top Bottom