• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Dr Dogg

Sweet. So you can go back to any previous level and tool around? Fantastic news. Pretty sure I missed some things in the first apartment.

Pretty sure it's only the one area where if you don't get them all at once you're screwed. I went back to the beach and graveyard a couple of times even after doing the main plot parts of those areas.

Preach it.
Achievements are a perfect excuse to play a fresh character.
I rang the top bell yesterday.

It's the only way! I just got to focus myself to be concise and do it without putting it down for another game.

Not sure if anyone posted them already, but there are some quick comparisons of PC & PS4 MGSV:GZ that were posted. I think you have to right click the vids and choose loop to make proper use of them. Looks good.

Hahaha they're absolutely appalling quality. Still what I take away from them is PC has some form of reflections (hard to tell from that image what type) which are completely absent on PS4, much higher quality Depth of Field (the quality makes it really hard to tell but PS4 is probably a gaussian variation PC might be a circular bokeh but it's so pixelated), extra light sources for PC and ambient occlusion is waayyyy better on PC.

I'm really curious how it will run performance wise.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-12-16_18-14-39.jpg

Lomax

Fact: The amount of gem bags being sold is decreasing (6k per hour vs 13k per hour at the same time yesterday, though it has come back up some from the overnight low of 4k per hour).

Fact: There's not 140 thousand people trying to buy bags of gems. Only 12k are above 50 cents, which was the floor after they were put on sale again. Only 2.5k are at a dollar or more, which means serious buyers, and that's barely a half hour's worth of demand.

Basically, we have no clue what the market will do other than make some random guesses that thus far have mostly been wrong. Sorry, but it's annoying me to see people keep pointing to things like "there's 140k buy orders!" as indicators the price will rise, because it doesn't really mean anything.

Semi-related: one of my regular RU dealers just made a post that they were no longer accepting keys for games, only gems or paypal. So the theory that gems will replace keys seems sound for the time being.

Nzyme32

Hahaha they're absolutely appalling quality. Still what I take away from them is PC has some form of reflections (hard to tell from that image what type) which are completely absent on PS4, much higher quality Depth of Field (the quality makes it really hard to tell but PS4 is probably a gaussian variation PC might be a circular bokeh but it's so pixelated), extra light sources for PC and ambient occlusion is waayyyy better on PC.

I'm really curious how it will run performance wise.

Haha, yeah I think they were Vines; clearly the most accurate way of making a comparison. I only know the DOF is Bokeh, because it's one of the few words I recognised within the Japanese musings of the Kojima Station stream that showed PC footage :p

Turfster

Marvellous Miss Take had its mouse controls improved and got controller support added for PC.
Also, christmas hats over the holiday season.

Water

I don't think they'll go higher than $1.30 or so. The auctions end in about 48 hours, and I expect bids to go up (assuming that's why people bought gems). At the same time other people who haven't accumulated as many gems might give up on auctions or just want to get rid of gems via selling.

I could be way off, though.

The auctions have only been going for 24 hours or 1/3 of the full duration, and every round that runs removes a ton of gems from the economy, so the remaining gems (which are still competing for the exact same amount of games each auction round) will buy more game per gem and are more valuable. That's without considering the signs that gems will have yet-unknown uses after the auction. At the very least they are usable for the booster pack creator, which means the value will never drop off the cliff.

This is the actual reason the price has been stalling. Most of the barrier at 1e has been eaten away already. Traders are already cancelling 1.03 etc. sell orders and moving further up in anticipation.
aYOw508.png

I'm surprised so many donated games. I guess they are inclined to go with Valve's initiatives. We'll see how generous the devs are with their sale discounts, I suppose. :/ The only positives the devs gets is any positive sentiment from having donated and more visibility of their titles. Ya, that tweet mensions card value going up, I didn't really think about it, but that always happens around sale/metagame time and true it is pronounced more, but I think only the cheapest of cards sets have got direct boost from the gem-boost in their emoticons/backgrounds. Valve gets more money from market transactions and gets to track less items.

i tried to bid twice on "TowerFall Ascension" it was going well and suddenly on last minute people start bidding and i was doomed.. lost all hope sold all stack into market.. *walking in corner to cry*

This is the actual reason the price has been stalling. Most of the barrier at 1e has been eaten away already. Traders are already cancelling 1.03 etc. sell orders and moving further up in anticipation.
aYOw508.png

The price has been oscillating around 1€ for at least 12 hours now. The barrier has been eaten away before and the price didn't explode. There's no way to say where the price will go, since the gems have no real underlying value. They're connected to cards through the booster pack creator, but those also have no real value. So we arrived at some price right now that is only supported through the auctions because the highest bids are relatively constant.

Once the auctions are over (and there is no similar metagame afterwards) the only value gems will have is connected to the card market and it will probably find a new equilibrium and I predict that it will be lower than it is right now.

Phinor

WHAT?! That's a nice surprise. I wonder why rFactor 1 and not 2?

I already own it so doubt I'll get it though unless they add achievements and stuff.

Maybe because they are asking money for automatic updates on rFactor 2. If they gave people the convenience of using Steam, that would pretty much give automatic updating to everyone. Their business plan is to punish those not paying yearly by making them download and apply patches manually.

Ruruja

Yessss. I loved playing Dirt 3 with friends. It's a lot of fun with the right group of people.

Don't want to burst your bubble Nabs, but they said they were removing GFWL from Dirt 2 as well, and after months of nothing, decided to just remove Dirt 2 instead.

They've been planning on removing GFWL from Dirt 3 for quite a while now too, and I can see it going the same way.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Nzyme32

I need some very noob Dark Souls help.

What are the purposes of using Souls? I seem to have collected a bunch with different names like "large soul of the nameless" and stuff like that, and the description for usuage says "gives souls" - I'm confused as to why these are so different to the normal souls that I am apparently collecting, and what use I can put them too

Halp!

Nabs

Don't want to burst your bubble Nabs, but they said they were removing GFWL from Dirt 2 as well, and after months of nothing, decided to just remove Dirt 2 instead.

They've been planning on removing GFWL from Dirt 3 for quite a while now too, and I can see it going the same way.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I don't remember them ever mentioning Dirt 2 when asked, just Dirt 3. I'm glad they are still considering it.

Rudakus

Well I just got locked out of the marketplace for 7 days because I logged into my account from IE instead of Chrome on my home computer... Damn it. I should have known better I guess.

What are the purposes of using Souls? I seem to have collected a bunch with different names like "large soul of the nameless" and stuff like that, and the description for usuage says "gives souls" - I'm confused as to why these are so different to the normal souls that I am apparently collecting, and what use I can put them too

Halp!

You can either consume them for a good amount of souls to level up, or use them as materials to craft several special weapons later on. If you want to play blind I'd just hold on to them to see what you can do with them, otherwise you could look up what weapons they are used for in a wiki.

EDIT: That's for Souls you get from bosses btw, the "Large Soul of a Nameless Soldier" and similar one can only be consumed for souls. I use them as a kind of souls bank, since you don't lose them when you die.

derExperte

The price has been oscillating around 1€ for at least 12 hours now. The barrier has been eaten away before and the price didn't explode. There's no way to say where the price will go, since the gems have no real underlying value. They're connected to cards through the booster pack creator, but those also have no real value. So we arrived at some price right now that is only supported through the auctions because the highest bids are relatively constant.

Once the auctions are over (and there is no similar metagame afterwards) the only value gems will have is connected to the card market and it will probably find a new equilibrium and I predict that it will be lower than it is right now.

Agreed. We were already beyond 1€ hours ago but fell back. While I'm surprised that we haven't seen too many dips I'm no feeling a strong push to get higher anymore while more and more gems are put on the market. Could change when more of the US gets back home but I'm slowly starting to sell a few sacks here and there.

Halp!

They are your emergency stock of souls in case you died and lost all your soul pool, you can also spend them to level up or to buy. Just remember not to consume boss souls (Soul of Sif, Soul of the Asylum Demon, Soul of the Capra Demon, Moonlight Butterfly Soul, etc.) until you've crafted their respective boss weapons.

Other, lesser souls, can be safely spent at will, like Soul of a Proud Knight, Hero, Lost Soul, you name it.

ExoSoul

Banned

Halp!
It's literally that, use those souls when you are close to the amount you need to level or to upgrade your weapon. The best the soul sounds the more it gives.
However I don't recommend you use Boss's souls (comes down to personal preference) they'll give you more souls but you can also use them to trade for special weapons/spells.

Lomax

Well I just got locked out of the marketplace for 7 days because I logged into my account from IE instead of Chrome on my home computer... Damn it. I should have known better I guess.

You should only be locked out on that browser, it should still work fine on Chrome (or in the client, or anywhere else you've already authorized and passed the time limit).

Momentary

Banned
Hmm. I was thinking abour the Japanese announcement of BBCPE. Normally, they don't announce PC versions of the game until there is an English announcement down the line. At least that's what I'm going 50 keep on believing. I'm holding on to the dream, fellas.

Backlogger

My body is ready for the Winter Seal. I wish it was starting today instead of Thursday. We are having a gift exchange at work today, I brought a Steam Gift Card that I plan on attempting to steal back from whoever gets it.

Turfster

GMG has Reus 75% off and Scribblenauts franchise 75% off
Get Games has Alien 50% off, Total War Rome II 80% off, Valkyria Chronicles 30% off

Humble has helped raised 50 million dollars for charity since 2010

Nzyme32

You can either consume them for a good amount of souls to level up, or use them as materials to craft several special weapons later on. If you want to play blind I'd just hold on to them to see what you can do with them, otherwise you could look up what weapons they are used for in a wiki.

EDIT: That's for Souls you get from bosses btw, the "Large Soul of a Nameless Soldier" and similar one can only be consumed for souls. I use them as a kind of souls bank, since you don't lose them when you die.

Bosses soul is used to create miracle, weapons, upgrades...don't use them. Only use souls from common enemies, and ou will be ok.

They are your emergency stock of souls in case you died and lost all your soul pool, you can also spend them to level up or to buy. Just remember not to consume boss souls (Soul of Sif, Soul of the Asylum Demon, Soul of the Capra Demon, Moonlight Butterfly Soul, etc.) until you've crafted their respective boss weapons.

Other, lesser souls, can be safely spent at will, like Soul of a Proud Knight, Hero, Lost Soul, you name it.

It's literally that, use those souls when you are close to the amount you need to level or to upgrade your weapon. The best the soul sounds the more it gives.
However I don't recommend you use Boss's souls (comes down to personal preference) they'll give you more souls but you can also use them to trade for special weapons/spells.

Ah, thanks a lot everyone. Seems like a good strategy, would be to save those "lesser" souls till I reach a bonfire and can throw them into levelling up, and I'll just keep the boss souls for upgrades and purchasing. I'll keep some of the other souls around just incase.

On gems, I really expect them to be where they are now. The problem is the unpredictability of the Auction/gems, so ya... can't really say, but as a byproduct of producing badges, one can get an idea. During the night I was able to snag Leona's Tricky Adventures for (if current gem sack price is $1.22) $1.07 and Culpa Innata for $0.93. Leona came to Steam in November for $10, lowest sale was $7.50; Culpa is from Oct 2007 is $10, lowest sale was $2 and they've never been in a bundle. So...that strikes me as a good deal and the Auction being bit less competitive than however million users Steam has now.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Yes, I remember them talking about Dirt 3 getting GFWL removed when it got in a humblebundle, so of course I didn't buy the bundle ;).

Rudakus

You should only be locked out on that browser, it should still work fine on Chrome (or in the client, or anywhere else you've already authorized and passed the time limit).

Holy cow you're right thanks! Now onto a stupid question. I am trying to give them my tax info since I have sold over 200 items on the marketplace, but when I click the link it just takes me to my account page. Any ideas where to give them that information? Thanks!

Holy cow you're right thanks! Now onto a stupid question. I am trying to give them my tax info since I have sold over 200 items on the marketplace, but when I click the link it just takes me to my account page. Any ideas where to give them that information? Thanks!

It's on the vertical right sidebar of the page: "Tax Information".

So, I've been wondering...

with the steps Steam are taking lately to try and stop this cross region market/trading just how BIG is it for them to care so much?

Vuze

Would be greatly appreciated if a few SteamGAF members could help to get Faceted Flight greenlit. I really enjoyed the two stages I played in the demo version (on my Oculus Rift, but of course it works on normal displays as well). It's a very simplistic, "Pilot Wings"-esque flight game with a rather unique style and will receive a variety of game modes during developement along with multiplayer mode.

I think it does quite nicely on Greenlight already, but you know, the more the better :)
You can get the demo from www.facetedflight.com.

Greenlight trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1PkGd7jFbY
Greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=354757850

Thanks!

Turfster

Daily Substance Painter 67% off

Humble Store Daily
  • Alien Isolation
  • Antichamber
  • Sacred 3
  • Magicka
  • Age of wonders III FLASH
  • LEGO Batman
  • Dead Island GOTY
  • Cities in Motion 1 & 2 Collection