• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

derExperte

Sorry for the short time left but ModBot was lazy at first and then I didn't immediately look when he went to work.

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

330x192

Night Shift -- MB-69F18168CB3BF3DE - Taken by Maniac. 3 entrants total.

t1418755745z1.png

Maniac

Banned
sush you, mr. "dragon age sex scenes offend me and my lord and saviour Jesus"

I'm offended by them too. But it's just because of how bad and awkward they all are.
I won Substance Indie pack. I actually was only interested in Painter and I realized how foolish was to bid on Indie pack only when I already placed the bid. No one managed to snipe it from me either. Oh well.

Does anyone here aim for Indie pack as well?

Yeah, I really want it, buuuut... I can't get hold of the cash I'd need in time for the auctions. Shit happens, eh? How much did you end up payin' for it?

Maniac

Banned
Sorry for the short time left but ModBot was lazy at first and then I didn't immediately look when he went to work.

lol. Just got sniped in a bid on Night Shift... Maybe I'll win this instead ^_~'
Nice try Valve but I'm keeping these. 40 gems is nothing compared to what they'll be worth once Steam Broadcasting takes off and
:Smilin:
becomes the new Kappa.

Wot the heck are these from? They're... They're beautiful...

Articalys

I learned to do key trading only a month ago, and though the process is not hard, the results are black magic. It is simply incredible how much you can grab for ten keys when games are on big sales on the RU store. Even in this auction, the first thing I did was to go through all the games I was interested in and see if they had region locks. If they don't, the deal I get on the auction has to be spectacular or the gems will go further when converted to keys and spent on RU.
What's the simplest way to check if a game is locked in such a manner that it would block RU purchased games from making their way to a NA account? I remember discussion about all sorts of different cross-region activation/gifting/trading tags but I can't recall which ones actually made a practical difference.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm not too fussed about da: i winning gaf goty

looks like a neat game, not necessarily super interesting to me but it appeals to a wide audience and seems like it respects the player more than skyrim

but i haven't played it so i dunno

i wish bayonetta wins tho but very unlikely since i don't think most people own wii u's

Dr Dogg

Urgh. Hopefully SteamGAF will prove to have better taste in RPGs when it comes to our GOTY awards next month. (That's if DA:I is even eligible)

We'll see but I'm not usually one to rank and rate my games. Call me picky, indifferent but what floats my boat is in a constant state of flux. Something has to be really special to resonate with me. Then again two of my favourtie game ever got rereleased this year in Resi 4 and Valkyria Chronicles so there's that.

here's prolly my list:

pretty decent year, no games absolutely knocked me off my feet but a bunch of great games for sure

i really wanted to find place for wasteland in my list but it released at a weird time of the year for me and couldn't give it the time it deserved (while i played dead state at different moments through the year in its different stages of early access)

I could give a list of 10 late ports released this year that's how bizarre it's been. Are you going to do some fancy headers again this year?

hail to the king

I wouldn't be surprised as it's very fresh in the mind. I hope stuff like Wolf: TNO doesn't get forgotten.

Zeknurn

Urgh. Hopefully SteamGAF will prove to have better taste in RPGs when it comes to our GOTY awards next month. (That's if DA:I is even eligible)

I like to think that the people voting for DA:I haven't played Divinity: Original Sin and they don't know any better.

zkylon

zkylewd
That so? I was expecting something more outlandishly plot related...
probably not much of a reasonable explanation

it's probably just a burst of "power" or something that comes from him being so comfortable with being naked and shit

it's kill la kill, it's weird lol

I could give a list of 10 late ports released this year that's how bizarre it's been. Are you going to do some fancy headers again this year?
yeah, it's been a year without many games that absolutely blew me away. at least not new releases (i played all three xenosaga games and super metroid this year but sadly i can't vote for those). i try to always make my goty lists on a personal level, so it's not necessarily the best games but my favorites, and unfortunately couldn't find such a clear cut #1 like i did last year with hate plus or before that with new vegas or dark souls 1. still, i've enjoyed most of the games i played this year even tho i've been disappointed to some degree with most (most disappointing of the year for me would be mgr rising and transistor).

and sure, i'm gonna try and do something pretty to look at as i always do :>

edit: since i'm not really able to afford aaa games i've missed trying things like shadow of mordor or alien isolation or wolfenstein that looked pretty cool either.

Eternia

Managed to snipe a copy of Light for 1025 gems. At least it was something I was somewhat interested in playing so it's not a total loss.

Water

What's the simplest way to check if a game is locked in such a manner that it would block RU purchased games from making their way to a NA account? I remember discussion about all sorts of different cross-region activation/gifting/trading tags but I can't recall which ones actually made a practical difference.
You see most of the limitations on the Steam storefront itself when you browse the RU store. There's probably a more reasonable way to access the store, but I accidentally googled my way in there. When I happen to shut down those browser tabs and need to get there again, what I do is google for "steam cc=ru". This has the benefit that you see the rouble prices directly, can browse in peace and figure out the good deals. You also won't waste your or traders' time with negotiation when you can just ask them how many keys for XXX roubles total purchases.

I use this site to double-check and get more detailed data. It explains what things are just region-tagged and not functionally locked, missing languages etc.
http://www.steamlocks.tk/index.php

Kinda sorta related
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/...sales-to-russia-as-the-ruble-plunges-in-value

Apple halts online sales to Russia as the ruble plunges in value

According to reporters at Bloomberg, Apple is shutting down its online sales to Russia because of the "extreme fluctuations" in its currency, the ruble. Over the last twelve months the value of the ruble has plunged more than 50 percent against the dollar, destabilizing the Russian economy. That drop was already making it difficult for ordinary Russian citizens to purchase imported goods, but Apple's move shows things may get far worse, as foreign companies decide to stop accepting a currency that has been rapidly shedding value with each passing week.

Saty

Then they should provide a better explanation why Hatred is pulled but other similar games are being sold on their store.

'Here's a system where users can vote to get games they want on Ste-- Opps! This one doesn't even though it's inside the top 10'.

i'm not too fussed about da: i winning gaf goty

looks like a neat game, not necessarily super interesting to me but it appeals to a wide audience and seems like it respects the player more than skyrim

but i haven't played it so i dunno

i wish bayonetta wins tho but very unlikely since i don't think most people own wii u's

wow, the skyrim hate in you is strong.
did you play bayonetta 2? i have issues with a game that wasn't played by very many and has technical issues (just like the first) with framerates and such winning GAF GOTY. I most likely won't agree with GAF GOTY, but I hope it's at least a solid choice.

I've played DOS, but I still love DA:I.

I'm part of the problem.

Dude, you're awesome. If you're part of the problem, then the problem just got a little more awesome.

i want to try yaiba , hope is on sale again

Should've copped it last sale, mang.

--

DA:I isn't eligible for Steam GOTY, btw. Unlike uPlay games, it was not a release on Steam in 2014.

Then they should provide a better explanation why Hatred is pulled but other similar games are being sold on their store.

'Here's a system where users can vote to get games they want on Ste-- Opps! This one doesn't even though it's inside the top 10'.

they don't have to explain anything, it's their store. Valve hasn't gone into the offices of the hatred devs and put a hammer to their hard drives. Hatred's developers/publisher can sell it online still, people can buy it still.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

If you aren't capable of determining why they would pull that game from Greenlight yourself, then us or Valve explaining the decision would clearly be a waste of time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
no midweeks, whut? theres always midweeks even before a sale

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.2.2. This is a maintenance release that only affects the Firefox extension with the following changes:
  • Fixed several bugs introduced with newer versions of Firefox
This update is available only for Mozilla Firefox.

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.

Lomax

This isn't the first game they've pulled from Greenlight, nor will it be the last. I doubt the game even has an official rating, which means it couldn't get onto the store uncensored anyway. Lots of sex games made it to the top 10 too and were pulled, and some of them are actually respected as being decent games. No one is going to cry for the loss of this game any more than anyone really cares they can't buy Paranautical Activity any more.

And before anyone else says "slippery slope" we're already at the bottom of that slope, and have been for years. In fact, the biggest complaint this year was the amount of crap Valve allowed on the store that wouldn't have made it in previous years. Them pulling this one thing isn't suddenly a sign they are becoming more picky, it's a sign that they still care about their store, at least a tiny bit.

zkylon

zkylewd
wow, the skyrim hate in you is strong.
did you play bayonetta 2? i have issues with a game that wasn't played by very many and has technical issues (just like the first) with framerates and such winning GAF GOTY. I most likely won't agree with GAF GOTY, but I hope it's at least a solid choice.
my bad, i thought skyrim had won goty before, that's why i was comparing both games (both were open world rpgs and goty winners in my head)

also i don't really hate skyrim, i actually respect beth for trying to make their games be open world through mechanics (no context sensitive climbing or stealth sections or whatever), but i just think it's poorly implemented and generally boring to play because of how shallow it is.

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.2.2. This is a maintenance release that only affects the Firefox extension with the following changes:
  • Fixed several bugs introduced with newer versions of Firefox
This update is available only for Mozilla Firefox.

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.
last patch of the year i swear!!!!!!!!

Sini

I'm offended by them too. But it's just because of how bad and awkward they all are.

Yeah, I really want it, buuuut... I can't get hold of the cash I'd need in time for the auctions. Shit happens, eh? How much did you end up payin' for it?
I got those for about 30 euros.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
last patch of the year i swear!!!!!!!!

lol I keep saying that

pullmebackin.gif

More likely than not, there will be another release after the sale starts, if it messes with page layouts and things.

Kanokare

Keep thinking that. ;)]

I'm Batman!! With an Astebreed giveaway that I won from auction. Been a while since I did a good giveaway.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kanokare, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Astebreed -- MB-F746E9FC6435F9C5 - Taken by Chariot. 15 entrants total.

t1418768306z1.png

Would be greatly appreciated if a few SteamGAF members could help to get Faceted Flight greenlit. I really enjoyed the two stages I played in the demo version (on my Oculus Rift, but of course it works on normal displays as well). It's a very simplistic, "Pilot Wings"-esque flight game with a rather unique style and will receive a variety of game modes during developement along with multiplayer mode.

I think it does quite nicely on Greenlight already, but you know, the more the better :)
You can get the demo from www.facetedflight.com.

Greenlight trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1PkGd7jFbY
Greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=354757850

Thanks!

It looks a lot like PilotWings, that is a good thing, so I am definitely going to vote for it!

I love Pilot Wings

Too bad that Nintendo doesn't think that's a profitable IP anymore - along with Wave Race, 1080° and FZero :(

Saty

This isn't the first game they've pulled from Greenlight, nor will it be the last. I doubt the game even has an official rating, which means it couldn't get onto the store uncensored anyway.
Of course it isn't. There were games using stolen or copyrighted assets and such. That wasn't my intention.
Why would Hatred be denied but games such as Postal and Manhunt allowed? The difference is not readily apparent to me nor to Hatred's developers.

Games don't need official rating to be sold on Steam. Binding of Isaac didn't have any.

yeeeehaw! Was going through my items selling them and all after months, and apparently my GO case was worth a lot. Finally, this item business was worth it!

Top Bottom