• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

ViviOggi

no good person thinks that MGS2 is the best. It's good, it was one of gaming's biggest troll moments ever, and the game does some decent philosophy 101 stuff at the end that was really interesting at the time.

but MGS3 is the best metal gear. that's not even a hard choice.

No one in their right mind would argue that MGS2's moment-to-moment gameplay is a richer experience than Snake Eater's sprawling jungle filled to the brim with underlying systems, which is simply unrivaled in the Stealth genre, but in the end it depends on which aspects resonate with you more. What Kojima pulled off in 2 is one of the few successful examples of self-aware meta commentary on video games so overall I value it higher than Snake Eater while still appreciating its more down to earth and thoroughly entertaining Bond-like plot.

Fallout 3 is the best.
I'm not even going to respond to that

Awesome, and sounds incredibly optimistic. I've loved the game ever since their tech demo from several years ago. Never did purchase it, but the few free releases I've played have been a lot of fun. Lots of potential in their foundation, which is the most important thing early on. If they hadn't been taking their sweet time they would've been first to market, but hopefully it'll be worth the weight wait.

Still not sure how I feel about the fact that it's isometric, but I think I feel good about it. So many others are doing TPS and FPS zombie-survival, and well... You can get too many of them.

what build did you play ?
if it's the one with sprites they've changed it for 3d models a while back
but yeah it's still missing major features/models/animations and if they keep the same pace they've being going at so far i don't see a q1 release being doable
also can't help but feel that they are getting sidetracked with balance issues, this is what they're aiming for the next build
http://theindiestone.com/forums/ind...ate-game-by-killing-you-before-you-get-there/

i mean so far i think they've redone the aiming and melee system 2 times, they've redone the medical system once, they've redone the skill tree once
i think what started it all is that back when they were still doing sprite models they were seeing a bunch of screen people absolutely obliterating hordes with kitchen knifes and then they started nerfing/adding systems left and right to make the game more difficult, thing is i feel they've gone too far off the deep end now
of course the game is easily moddable so we're probably going to see a lot of balance mods but still, there's some pretty jarring stuff right now in the game

Calling Early Access games "EA Games" must be the most confusing and dumbest idea I've ever seen in modern gaming history.

Well, in the Steam thread, the context would suggest EA is Early Access, since EA pulled most of their games and went to Origin only...

However, I agree... sometimes acronyms are poorly chosen. Like calling Gears "GoW" when there's God of War as well.

Can I disable Wolfenstein TNO's mouse acceleration?

You sure can.
Here's the procedure.

(1) Get a controller
(2) Plug it in to your PC
(3) Launch Wolfenstein

Problem solved!

Alavard

Are you planning on purchasing the sequel as well?

Edit: holy shit, there's an ot for that Simpsons mobile game. *dead*

I think between my re-playing experience, and given that I've played FFXIII-2 to death on console already, I'll very likely skip it, and eventually get a reduced Lightning Returns, since a) I never played it on console and b) it hasn't a different battle system, so I won't feel the FFXIII burnout from that perspective.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Personally, while I like the other games in the series a lot, I just can't knock MGS 1 off my own personal top spot. I was 14 when the game was released, I remember getting my hands on a copy and being absolutely spellbound with it.This was something so different from everything else that came before that it left such a huge impression on me, the iconic characters, the ingenious puzzles (codec frequencies, heating/cooling the key), the amazing amount of detail for a game at that time, it was a step above everything else. So many moments have stuck with me over the years, the Vulcan Raven fights, the Liquid Snake reveal, the conversations with your support team.

The story was complex but not crazy, the characters were interesting and distinctive, it's just a really well crafted game, and the fantastic low-poly (by today's standards) stick in my mind as a masterpiece of design. Later games improved the graphics, added more to the story, but as someone who was used to playing Mario on the NES and Sonic on the Mega Drive, this was a huge game-changer. I just can't rate the games objectively with the weight of that experience overshadowing the sequels. Having said that I enjoyed the "twist" of MGS 2 and what it was trying to say, MGS 3 does some fantastic work with story, and there are moments in 4 which really play on the emotions of the player in a fantastic way.

Edit: I spent so long writing this the conversation has moved on, ha.

Well, in the Steam thread, the context would suggest EA is Early Access, since EA pulled most of their games and went to Origin only...

However, I agree... sometimes acronyms are poorly chosen. Like calling Gears "GoW" when there's God of War as well.
People call Mirror's Edge, ME, but it'll always be Mass Effect to me.
You sure can.
Here's the procedure.

(1) Get a controller
(2) Plug it in to your PC
(3) Launch Wolfenstein

Problem solved!
I prefer to play shooters with a mouse.

Fallout 3 is the best.
gujOWeg.jpg

ExoSoul

Banned
Calling Early Access games "EA Games" must be the most confusing and dumbest idea I've ever seen in modern gaming history.

As someone already noted EA took their games to Origin, still - point taken, I've edited to make my message clearer.
I also wanted to see if someone fell for it *evil laugh*

drizzle

Axel Hertz
As someone already noted EA took their games to Origin, still - point taken, I've edited to make my message clearer.
I also wanted to see if someone fell for it *evil laugh*

I'm not singling (is that even a word?) you out - a lot of people do it.

And it drives me crazy every single time. :D

People call Mirror's Edge, ME, but it'll always be Mass Effect to me.

I agree. Mass Effect is the more predominant game. Mirror's Edge was a one off game (until recently) that came out after Mass Effect (over a year later, I think, give or take a bit).

People fuck up all sorts of acronyms... which is funny, because sometimes the acronym isn't all that much of a reduction in typing in the first place...

Some of the ones I can think of:

UnCharted = UC
Marvel vs. Capcom = MvsC

I'm sure there's more, but those are the two that jump out for me.

There's also the souls series, which all 3 games contain DS... not to mention Dead Space and other games which may also claim the letters. Some take to using DeS or DkS, which I get, but I don't necessarily like.

Ah, yes, the guy who used to work at Daedalic has responded.

He was an unpaid intern there a few years back and most of the people who worked there were unpaid or heavily underpayed interns. They promised that the interns would get the games they worked on, but so far he received nothing.

The interns are not fired, they have contracts that run 6 to 9 months. They gave him the opportunity after his contracts ended to continue in a paid job (400 Euro/month). He told me that he is now working as Junior Softwaredeveloper somewhere else and makes the same as an Teamleader at Daedalic. They did apparently buy cheap office pc's of ebay for development, there was no IT-infrastructure, they gave files via skype and usb around. And there were multiple times a switching loop.

Please keep in mind, that he was there a few years back. Things could look differently now.

I feel like I'm missing the start of a good story here. Tell me more...

Acronyms are the devil's work.

I hate having to ask what "XJXLTH" ( random example ) means. >.<

The Crew looks really good, I was very interested in the game but all the talk about microtransactions really turned me off.

Alavard

Today is officially opposite day.

Anyone here playing? Thoughts?

I'm not totally surprised. After Far Cry 4's reception, it really could have gone either way.

What this seems to be proving more and more is that Ubisoft could have made AC: Unity significantly better if they'd had the guts to push the release date back and fix the issues. The plot and basic gameplay probably wouldn't have changed, but at least the technical issues wouldn't be what the game is remembered for.

I do find it funny however that The Crew also has radio towers you need to travel to in order to unlock surrounding sidequests (though you just drive to them). Ubi just can't get enough of using towers to unlock sidequests.

I have 43 TF2-keys.

Should I sell them all now before they'll be given away for free or just hope the value will stay the same (or even increase)?

I have 43 TF2-keys.

Should I sell them all now before they'll be given for free or just hope the value will stay the same (or even increase)?

keys shouldn't go up in price anymore since the new trade restrictions keep pushing people more and more into using paypal and steam wallet for stuff. I would get rid of your keys now, but i'm sure someone will come in here and tell me that im absolutely wrong for that line of thinking

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have 43 TF2-keys.

Should I sell them all now before they'll be given for free or just hope the value will stay the same (or even increase)?

As people have said the market's probably going to move away from key trading with all the restrictions, plus I seem to remember key prices traditionally go down during a sale so it might be better to get rid of them now and remove the risk that they'll become worth a lot less later on.

Turfster

Gamesplanet's daily is Bioshock Infinite 75% off
GMG's daily is Ship Simulator Extremes Collection 50% off

Groupees Build a Microids 2 GOG keys expire today if you haven't used them yet
Instant Dungeon! adds steam key to Indiegala Every Monday 17

As people have said the market's probably going to move away from key trading with all the restrictions, plus I seem to remember key prices traditionally go down during a sale so it might be better to get rid of them now and remove the risk that they'll become worth a lot less later on.
dispenser.tf's middleman bot can bypass the restriction.

Given for free? Where did you hear that, I'd like to know what's going on.

Yeah, at this rate TF2-keys will be ~free by the Summer Sale.

keys shouldn't go up in price anymore since the new trade restrictions keep pushing people more and more into using paypal and steam wallet for stuff. I would get rid of your keys now, but i'm sure someone will come in here and tell me that im absolutely wrong for that line of thinking

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. I wonder if there's any likelihood of Valve removing the flag anytime soon.

I played Titanfall online with a controller and i did pretty damn well.

I wouldn't play any other online PC shooter that way, though. Titanfall made controller play decent because of how mobile it made you. But i wouldn't even tempt it for any other competitive shooter.

Phawx

Gamesplanet's daily is Bioshock Infinite 75% off
GMG's daily is Ship Simulator Extremes Collection 50% off

Groupees Build a Microids 2 GOG keys expire today if you haven't used them yet
Instant Dungeon! adds steam key to Indiegala Every Monday 17

GAH! Well looks like I am on the hook to review a game I've already purchased. In other news:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Phawx:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Phawx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Instant Dungeon -- MB-7718D90551D0B00E - Taken by Benedict

Top Bottom