• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

komorebi

psycho-gif1.gif

Never forget, friend.

Maker's balls, dat gif....

Arthea

It would be absolutely crazy for them to have gotten a 3 months license and bothered to make a game out of it.

not really, it's Acti we are talking about and as we all knew it won't last, many already bought it, all according to Acti plans (><)

edited: I actually thought we all bought it, judging by discussions around release time

Sarcasm

Kinda like this streaming thing.

Best thing about it is no lame UI..no like game only uses 20% of the screen rest is donations..now playing etc

Ruruja

Kinda like this streaming thing.

Best thing about it is no lame UI..no like game only uses 20% of the screen rest is donations..now playing etc

Another good thing is it does everything for you. All I had to do was accept a request and I'm instantly streaming.

I never thought I'd stream a game as I wasn't interested enough in setting it all up, but I did today quite easily.

Tellaerin

It would be absolutely crazy for them to have gotten a 3 months license and bothered to make a game out of it.

Shows you how front-loaded their sales model is. They build everything around the idea of day one sales and assume most people who are going to buy will do it in the first couple of months, so they don't think it's worth holding onto a license to sell games to the "stragglers". I can see it for physical media (even though it's a messed-up model, and I think a lot of the screwed up practices in games today have their roots in that disposable, high-turnover game model). For digital, where there's no need to clear off shelf space to make room for new titles every couple of months, it seems kind of ridiculous.

Grief.exe

Shows you how front-loaded their sales model is. They build everything around the idea of day one sales and assume most people who are going to buy will do it in the first couple of months, so they don't think it's worth holding onto a license to sell games to the "stragglers". I can see it for physical media (even though it's a messed-up model, and I think a lot of the screwed up practices in games today have their roots in that disposable, high-turnover game model). For digital, where there's no need to clear off shelf space to make room for new titles every couple of months, it seems kind of ridiculous.

That's also indicative of the console demographic.

Hmm, I can't log in to IndieGala because it says "Please answer the captcha" despite there not being one.

Nevermind. I did a hard reload and that fixed it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's also indicative of the console demographic.

Yep, most publishers don't count on a game getting many sales after the first few months, since everyone that wanted it bought it already and a lot of those people are offloading their used copies to Gamestop. After a few months a used copy of your game sells for so low that you have to keep lowering your base price to stay competitive until you end up in the $5 bin.

With digital games it's all about "will renewing this license generate enough revenue on places like Steam to make it worthwhile?". Activision traditionally believes the answer is "no", but maybe they'll surprise us this year.

baterism

Aw yeah, Sega bundle mystery games are Sonic Gen and Viking. I have always want to try Sonic Gen. Sega is on the roll lately.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You mean instant dungeon, and yes, I posted it earlier ;)

what did I say? Instant quest? >_> I blame me playing wow atm

leave me alone Turf!

edit: that meridian bundle was awesome to pick and choose all the various games that have been in bundles that I missed

Jawmuncher

I figured as much but I really hope it hits that bargain bin price.

Deadpool is gone everywhere, not just PC right? So Korra will probably get the axe as well on all other systems?

As I said when they were getting rid of Dead Pool it got quite the discount.
So if they are planning as much for Korra, then I would assume they would do the same for a last ditch effort to maximize sales. I see it hitting at least 50% off activisons favorite discount.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As I said when they were getting rid of Dead Pool it got quite the discount.
So if they are planning as much for Korra, then I would assume they would do the same for a last ditch effort to maximize sales. I see it hitting at least 50% off activisons favorite discount.

Wolf09 and Deadpool are the only Acti games to get last-minute discounts (almost literally in the case of the latter). Blur, the James Bond games and most recently Monster Jam were all yanked unceremoniously.

Maniac

Banned
Wolf09 and Deadpool are the only Acti games to get last-minute featured sales (almost literally in the case of the latter). Blur, the James Bond games and most recently Monster Jam were all yanked unceremoniously.

And I managed to snag precisely none of them. But then again, only ones I was interested in was Deadpool, cause... Deadpool, and Wolf09 to see just how bad it is.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
And I managed to snag precisely none of them. But then again, only ones I was interested in was Deadpool, cause... Deadpool, and Wolf09 to see just how bad it is.

its not. its not singularity tier of goodness, but its not terrible by any means.

Grief.exe

Can someone pop in on my Max Payne 2 stream and see how it looks.

Just curious to see how it turns out as I am running mods and a 4K resokution.
Edit: steam overlay doesn't work for this game

Jawmuncher

Wolf09 and Deadpool are the only Acti games to get last-minute discounts (almost literally in the case of the latter). Blur, the James Bond games and most recently Monster Jam were all yanked unceremoniously.

Guess in those cases they just needed that refund on the IPs really badly.

EDIT:

For anyone using metro skin on Steam.
How do you get rid of the annoying green guy square in account.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Wolf09 is pretty solid. I prefer Singularity as the former's hub structure isn't anything to write home about, but Raven was one of the last bastions of classic FPS gameplay and the individual levels don't disappoint in that regard.

Guess in those cases they just needed that refund on the IPs really badly.

Monster Jam actually ran its course, surprisingly enough.

Jawmuncher

Wolf09 is pretty solid. I prefer Singularity as the former's hub structure isn't anything to write home about, but Raven was one of the last bastions of classic FPS gameplay and the individual levels don't disappoint in that regard.

Now that's funny. Wonder what the case was there.
Guess it just wasn't worth the trouble or something.

Can someone pop in on my Max Payne 2 stream and see how it looks.

Just curious to see how it turns out as I am running mods and a 4K resokution.
Edit: steam overlay doesn't work for this game

It needs the steam overlay?
Because it's not letting me watch anything.

yuraya

That new streaming stuff is crazy. People streaming anime shows via VLC player lol. The quality for some of the stuff I watched was very damn good as well.

Surprised Valve was able to stealth drop such a big community feature. No one saw this coming at all. I wonder what other big stuff they can stealth drop.

Maniac

Banned

My bad! I forgot Activision used to let their studios make good games! And man, I loved Singularity, even though you could tell it needed a lot more time :|

And yay, that's... 34 +1's for under 8 bucks!

... Although I've yet to activate them all because I got locked out halfway through. smh.

Top Bottom