• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Morning all. How are we coping in the inbetween-sale times? The only game I bought during the sale was that super cheap LEGO Batman 3. I'm saving all my love (steam credit) for the Winter Sale. Also, I guess teams are coming back? I have three regular badges and a foil ready to craft, last year I ended up on the winning team and I'm hoping that happens again!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Reagrding the banned trader, this is in Valve's ToS:
"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose."

While he himself did not circumvent geographical restrictions he was the method others used to do so, a enabler, and was banned because of it. Valve has legal ground on this one and what I find funny is everyone turning on Valve for doing a bad job.
Sure, it sucks that you won't be able yo buy games on the cheap anymore but rules are rules. (or terms in this case)

Valve can and has trade-banned people who are clearly selling gifts for profit. That's it. Cross-region gifting/trading itself isn't against the ToS. The passage you've quoted applies to a particular user partaking in cross-region purchasing/the circumvention of region-locks placed on subs.

Morning all. How are we coping in the inbetween-sale times? The only game I bought during the sale was that super cheap LEGO Batman 3. I'm saving all my love (steam credit) for the Winter Sale. Also, I guess teams are coming back? I have three regular badges and a foil ready to craft, last year I ended up on the winning team and I'm hoping that happens again!

Thanks for reminding me. I should probably hold off on crafting till then. : o

ViviOggi

What banned trader?
crazy.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The cross-region gifting bans have popped up before, as far back as 2011, with another large case in 2012. In the few cases presented, it seemed like this person either got really unlucky or was doing something else that got the eye of Valve looking at them.

I don't want to point fingers at this guy, and with the way Valve's been tightening their grip on regional pricing lately I wouldn't fully doubt a move like that by them. But this has happened before and always been an extreme case, not the norm.

Valve can and has trade-banned people who are clearly selling gifts for profit. That's it. Cross-region gifting/trading itself isn't against the ToS. The passage you've quoted applies to a particular user partaking in cross-region purchasing/the circumvention of region-locks placed on subs.

And that'd be the key.

ExoSoul

Banned
that clause pertains only to disguising your place of residence, which he did not do. If there was a clause that said "you agree to not aid and abet others in circumventing geographical restrictions on game content..." then his ban would be justified. However, there was no such clause in place and valve is grossly misrepresenting what is stated by themselves.
"You agree that you will not use other methods to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography."
Again: he wasn't banned because he did it, he was banned because he was other people's "method".

Surely volume is a factor no?

Arthea

Attention! not stealth brag post, also I like Dragons
I noticed yesterday that I'm #3 in global scores of game score of Letter Quest, I know this won't last, so posting now!

edited: too much talk about bans, I picked bloody wrong time to brag, aww

JaseC

I noticed yesterday that I'm #3 in global scores of game score of Letter Quest, I know this won't last, so posting now!

You can't say something like that and not provide evidence. ;)

Ozium

if I hadent mised tat bonuss discuont I wood bee above u

ExoSoul

Banned

Don't worry, we still take time to notice your "not stealth bragging" bragging ;)

JaseC

Surely volume is a factor no?

Yeah, I'd say so. Many people used the cross-region purchasing trick to buy region-free copies of South Park at Eastern European prices but only a select handful of traders copped a ban.

Arthea

1v1 me in scrabble m8

we can play in german if you want an easier challenge :p

I'll use my superduperuberweapon
zzz
word against you and you'll go down in no time!
I like how it is a word in the letter quest when headbutt isn't, for some weird reason. It also goes by double letter and palindrome rules, not to mention triple golden letters, simply brilliant! (><)

Copons

They should fix the horrible mess and waste of space that is the Big Picture layout instead.

Valve should really really hire an UX/UI expert to help them with their stuff.

I actually find it to be pretty fine. They're not comparable, but it's way better than the normal client, from a UX/UI standpoint.
When you say it's a waste of space, you should consider it's not designed to work on a desktop with the user sitting on a chair half a meter from the screen, but on a TV with the user laying on the couch 2+ meters away.

Think of games with super tiny subtitles that work fine on desktop, but they're totally unreadable on a TV setting. Big Picture is conceptually the opposite, huge subtitles that are fine on TV and sucks on desktop.

I actually find it to be pretty fine. They're not comparable, but it's way better than the normal client, from a UX/UI standpoint.
When you say it's a waste of space, you should consider it's not designed to work on a desktop with the user sitting on a chair half a meter from the screen, but on a TV with the user laying on the couch 2+ meters away.

Think of games with super tiny subtitles that work fine on desktop, but they're totally unreadable on a TV setting. Big Picture is conceptually the opposite, huge subtitles that are fine on TV and sucks on desktop.

I say it's a waste of space because of that, If I'm using a 40" or 50" tv, they can put more stuff on it, not just 12 super huge tiles.

Arthea

I still find Big Picture useless, even if I tend to go for a couch gaming, when possible. It just bad UI, imo.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've never used big picture, it doesn't seem to run that well for me, and I find it easier just to pick whatever I want using the mouse and grab the controller afterwards.

I've never used big picture, it doesn't seem to run that well for me, and I find it easier just to pick whatever I want using the mouse and grab the controller afterwards.

Same here, much faster with the desktop layout.

I like the idea of BPM though, it could be great if done properly, but to me it just seems rushed and not really usable or amicable.

Copons

I say it's a waste of space because of that, If I'm using a 40" or 50" tv, they can put more stuff on it, not just 12 super huge tiles.

I understand your critics, and maybe my point of view comes from the fact I'm a web designer so I think of resolutions and not screen size.
This way, BPM can't know if your 1080p screen is 20'' or 100'' (I actually have no idea if programs could even know the screen size), therefore has to target a display size readable and usable from everybody, and while a blown up size works for everybody, a small sized one would work for big screens only.

I still find Big Picture useless, even if I tend to go for a couch gaming, when possible. It just bad UI, imo.

I don't use it too, but mostly because too many games have launchers and other shit forcing me to use a mouse to start them.
also because my couch is kinda far from the tv and i don't have a wireless controller, but that's not the point

Anyway, I don't know how current gen consoles dashboards are, but I like BPM way more than X360 (both ancient and recent versions) and PS3 ones.

Of course everything could be improved, but still I think BPM works fairly well and, again, it seems to me Valve put a lot more thinking and care in it than the normal client.

I understand your critics, and maybe my point of view comes from the fact I'm a web designer so I think of resolutions and not screen size.
This way, BPM can't know if your 1080p screen is 20'' or 100'' (I actually have no idea if programs could even know the screen size), therefore has to target a display size readable and usable from everybody, and while a blown up size works for everybody, a small sized one would work for big screens only.

We are not on the middle ages, steam can easily know the output resolution and size from the windows API and adapt the layout accordingly, they don't need to go for the lowest common denominator. They could also make it configurable, but any of that would be too much work for Volvo I guess.

today is my birthday, happy birthday to me!

Happy Birthday !

Chariot

today is my birthday, happy birthday to me![/IMG]
Happy Birthday!,

i'm still trying to make it out in my head if i liked black lagoon or not

i really liked the setting and some of the character backstories and relationships but the action part i thought was pretty poor. i'm not above action series or anything, it's just that i find people shooting each other is rarely any fun to watch, specially when it's got no tension like in black lagoon. it's like revy just walking around and everyone near her just dies (btw revy has like the shittiest design ever)

anyways, i heard the second season is pretty terrible, so i'm holding off on watching that. i feel like i "got" black lagoon from the first season and don't really need much more.
Huh? The second season is the same as the first season. So if you liked the first you gonna like the seconds too, the same if you didn't like it. And the action is a huge homage to certain american and Hong Kong action movies, which is why Revy and co. just slaughter themselves through enemies like that with rarely getting hurt. Maybe you should give season 2 another try, if you were on the edge with season 1. It has some neat Balalaika moments in it and the awesome carnival of killers.
Finally, DRAGON THE DATE

Arthea

We are not on the middle ages, steam can easily know the output resolution and size from the windows API and adapt the layout accordingly, they don't need to go for the lowest common denominator. They could also make it configurable, but any of that would be too much work for Volvo I guess.

Talking about this, I so would like steam client to have much larger font size, like by a lot larger, 3 times or more? I can zoom in on the browser, why can't I do the same for client? It drives me crazy at times being barely able to read anything, including chat.

Bigby

lmao Valve forgot to announce the TR promo winners. Should have been the 2nd. Just.....no comment.

Oh I think they didn't want to announce more than one thing. With Broadcasts yesterday, Tomb Raider probably got pushed to later date.

Every Square Enix game was added to TF Tomb Prize Package yesterday.

So just like other Valve projects then ;)

It is sad though, that even the BPM uses a effin browser for everything. Why not make it like Xbox or PSN, where it downloads the Achievements and icons for example? Instead if you want to see the achievements in BPM, it just opens the BPM browser for that...

Ozium

while doing a discovery queue I found out about this game called Arms Dealer and it's like 20 dollars and according to enhanced steam hasnt been bundled or deeply discounted and yet like 20 ppl own it...

what happened?

Dr Dogg

Happy B'day Tesseract!

Also I wonder what would happen to someone who Family Shares their Library but one of their 'Family' members streams something inappropriate from a game they are sharing?

Does DA:O look bad at this point? I haven't played it yet.

Late to the party and hijacking a convo but sod it!

Tactical view still holds up quite well but the closer cam and conversation scenes looked nothing spectacular even at time of release. You can of course mod the shit out of it and there's plenty of new hair-do's, key character face reworkings and armour remodelings, environment texture replacements and enhancements and with a touch of HBAO+ and SGSSAA (I think AA in game is MSAA so just enhance that) can add some much need contact shadowing and clean the image up.

Downsampling also is doable but UI scales with resolution and being a kb&m driven game it can become a pain at high resolutions just to play the game let alone read any of the text. A screen size of 22" or less I wouldn't go higher than 2560x1440 and I wouldn't think 3840x2160 would be usable on anything smaller than a 27" screen. Thankfully the trend of separate rendering resolution from presentation resolution has been in quite a few titles so fingers crossed that's here to stay with a bit more customisation to scale UI to your screen size and type.

One issue DA:O still has is that it runs out of address space pretty quick, even more so when modding. Loading transitions increase and you can get a fair amount of hitching as the process is starved of memory. You can modify the executable to be large address aware which sorts out the issue but I don't know if the Steam exe plays ball.

Definitely a game worth playing though with the CRPG renaissance recently it's not like we've been as starved of great examples just this year alone. I've got about 30 RPG's on the cards for next year that could take up the whole year on their own!

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Downsampling also is doable but UI scales with resolution and being a kb&m driven game it can become a pain at high resolutions just to play the game let alone read any of the text. A screen size of 22" or less I wouldn't go higher than 2560x1440 and I wouldn't think 3840x2160 would be usable on anything smaller than a 27" screen. Thankfully the trend of separate rendering resolution from presentation resolution has been in quite a few titles so fingers crossed that's here to stay with a bit more customisation to scale UI to your screen size and type.

Down-sampling is not suggested in DA:O, just utilize 4xSGSSAA forced via Nvinspector (don't enable in-game AA) and use LumaSharpen from SweetFX to get back the edges.

As for mods, I made myself a list to play.

Top Bottom